When promotion means you lose your job

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Cappy

wishful thinking
Reaction score
Whilst it must be a great feeling to be in a team that gains promotion, it must be a very strange feeling too if you know deep down that you aren’t good enough for the next division and this is likely your last game wearing the shirt.

I wonder if any of our lads have these mixed feelings and behind (hopefully) ecstatic smiles while applauding the away section at Stoke, there’s also sadness?

We need a squad. The first XI and a few of the owned peripherals will be here next season I believe.

The likes of Washington, Lundstram, Coutts probably won't be. As harsh as it sounds, it wouldn't even surprise me if one of Stearman/Cranie left too despite valuable contributions.

Only a couple of the loanees and seniors who aren't making the squad. I'm still hoping we see the Coutts of old, even if that means giving him a contract extension.

Sounds daft but most of our players were deemed not good enough for the Championship. The players proved everyone wrong.

If we and the players have learnt something over the past 3 years, it is that they are good enough and that if they trust in Wilder and the team - they'll manage it in the prem. May not be world class superstars but anyone good enough to get promoted to the premier league is good enough to play in the premier league

To be honest most of the lads who don’t make the grade will probably have a year on excellent money. We will be carrying a larger squad also.

Plus we aren’t a Fulham who will replace 9 players. We will maybe only change 2/3 first team players I would imagine.

I expect a similar situation to the past 2 seasons (should we go up) the members who played a big part all stay on for at least more more season before being moved out..

They'll all be on a decent bonus if we do it so I'm not going to lose any sleep over our destitute players :rolleyes:

There'll also be a few squad players who will possibly make the cut and will be set for life.

So if we get four more points we can lay off any contracted player we want and not pay them?

Sounds daft but most of our players were deemed not good enough for the Championship. The players proved everyone wrong.

If we and the players have learnt something over the past 3 years, it is that they are good enough and that if they trust in Wilder and the team - they'll manage it in the prem. May not be world class superstars but anyone good enough to get promoted to the premier league is good enough to play in the premier league

We bought Hulse to make a fight of staying up , but his leg got broken. So we came down , ironically at the hand of our quality player , Jags. Colin fucked up in the January window and the FA then fucked us with their support of Wet Sham. But if we'd got hold of a James Beattie in that season , not waited till we were relegated , we'd have stated up. IF we manage to get up this time , we won't stay up with the present squad - as he's done in the past 3 years , CW will make 3 or 4 quality additions. They will cost eye-watering money - they will be only marginally better than the players they replace , but Clubs hang onto their place in the Prem by fine margins , rather than getting relegated by fine margins , as we did in 2007. Chris knows this better than anyone , except perhaps Kevin , who has had 12 years to rue his misjudgments.

We bought Hulse to make a fight of staying up , but his leg got broken. So we came down , ironically at the hand of our quality player , Jags. Colin fucked up in the January window and the FA then fucked us with their support of Wet Sham. But if we'd got hold of a James Beattie in that season , not waited till we were relegated , we'd have stated up. IF we manage to get up this time , we won't stay up with the present squad - as he's done in the past 3 years , CW will make 3 or 4 quality additions. They will cost eye-watering money - they will be only marginally better than the players they replace , but Clubs hang onto their place in the Prem by fine margins , rather than getting relegated by fine margins , as we did in 2007. Chris knows this better than anyone , except perhaps Kevin , who has had 12 years to rue his misjudgments.
Of course we need to sign new players if we do go up... but most members of our current team would remain in the team

Whilst it must be a great feeling to be in a team that gains promotion, it must be a very strange feeling too if you know deep down that you aren’t good enough for the next division and this is likely your last game wearing the shirt.

I wonder if any of our lads have these mixed feelings and behind (hopefully) ecstatic smiles while applauding the away section at Stoke, there’s also sadness?
Oliver Norwood must be shitting it... promoted twice to the Premier League and both times moved on

Most players have bonus payments in their contracts for winning promotion.

I am sure the likes of Matty Done and Scougall look back on the League one title win as a career highlight in any case

Moore
Fleck
Duffy
Sharp
JO'C

All part of the division 1 campaign and all will be part of the Prem campaign should we go up. More of less the spine of the squad intact (Moore aside, but if he's under contact can see him staying as backup still).

And here was i thinking this was a thread about matchday staff losing out on money as we have fewer home games next year

Football isn’t like real life though. None of our players will lose their job as a result of promotion, they’re either still in contract for next season, or they’re out of contract and free to move on. Neither outcome is affected by whether we go up or not.

If our players had been reading Porktalk for the past two seasons they would have packed in being Professional Footballers and taken a Painting & Decorating course instead.

How many of the players from our last promotion are still part of the squad ? And how many of those were deemed not good enough for the Championship by some ? for me they've already proved it's more about the team than individuals..

They’ll probably have a 100k bonus in their contract if we go up so I’m not sure they’ll be too bothered.
Anyone would welcome a good bonus, but to achieve in sport you have to want to perform at the highest level. It is inevitable that some would miss out, and a promotion on the CV looks good, but I think it is fair to say that most who miss out (it happens every season at several clubs) will hurt like hell. And this squad certainly deserves our respect for what they have contributed, right down to fringe players such as Johnson, who did a good job for us in the game at WBA - a key victory.

We will now have the opportunity to hang onto to our academy prospects and bring them through so I look forward to be proved wrong that it is a waste of time.

However if we'd have been in this position earlier and the option for Maguire was to move on or stay, but by staying you've got to be bombing beyond Walker every time we attack he might of thought bollocks to that lark, it'll kill me, I'll get me coins elsewhere.

I think that's all part of being a footballer with a contract (at any level)
If it does happen here at least everyone will have tasted some success along the way, but a football career is competitive and sometimes must seem a bit unfair :(

Plus we aren’t a Fulham who will replace 9 players. We will maybe only change 2/3 first team players I would imagine.

I hope you're wrong. If I have to put a number on it, I'd hope we can bring in at least 5 1st team additions.

If they lose their job on the back of a promotion, their CV will read "Helped a side win promotion with a minimal budget" thereby making them more attractive to future offers (I would assume).

I think he means they leave without actually wanting too. They may love the club and want to stay but ultimately, will be forced to leave

Better players make good players around them better.

We REALLY need to strengthen up the top end of the pitch and we need pace in areas but apart from that we only need a couple of players in a couple of key areas and we’ll see the players around them go from strength to strength.

We definately need a few good signings to strenghten the squad but tottally agree with thread we do have a cracking squad Who all seem to really want to play for the blades .chris wilder and supporters. not to many of this sort of player in premiership.

Most players have bonus payments in their contracts for winning promotion.

I am sure the likes of Matty Done and Scougall look back on the League one title win as a career highlight in any case

I saw some highlights from that season the other day and I'd completely forgotten that Done scored with a lovely neat finish away at Port Vale. I hadn't even remembered he'd still got any game time so late on.

Scougall was unfortunate in a sense, he was our best player early on when the team was poor.

Back
Top Bottom