Newcastle 5 United 1 - report

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
The Blades relegation was confirmed after another heavy defeat saw them concede a further 5 goals, making it 13 in a week; as Newcastle took them apart for the second time this season. United had played well in the first half, certainly from an attacking point of view and scored an early goal from Ahmedhodzic and could have had more with Archer x2, Brereton Diaz and Brooks missing good chances. However, their impressive attacking play in terms of build-up was undone by more sloppy defending which saw Isak score too easily. After the break, the home side came out with a totally different intent and goals from Guimaraes, Isak again, a Ben Osborn own goal and a Wilson strike saw the Magpies run away with it. The Blades once again completely imploded with poor marking, inability to tackle/press or react to danger leading to chance after chance being create. In the end the home side were full value for their big victory and once again the visitors looked completely out of their depth at this level. Manager Chris Wilder brought the players together at full time in a huddle but a good portion face an uncertain future with the club either being on loan, out of contract or potentially surplus to requirements.

United named an unchanged side but had Robinson back on the bench, where he was joined by youngster Louis Marsh. Wes Foderingham continued in goal after impressing on his return in the week. Newcastle had injury issues, like the Blades, but still named a very strong starting line up as they looked to finish as high as they can after a season which they may be disappointed not to have pushed on after their efforts last season.

The backdrop at St James Park is always impressive and often intimidating with around 50,000 home fans in attendance but United settled well. Brereton Diaz was in on the angle but his shot was blocked leading to corner. From the resultant corner, on only 5 minutes, their positive play was rewarded as United won a corner and Arblaster worked a short one to Hamer who’s cross was headed home at close range from AHMEDHODZIC. There was a check for offside but the goal stood.

United then broke out from a corner and suddenly Archer was in but his shot deflected wide. Ahmedhodzic had an effort from the corner as United looked the more likely to score again. They should have done when Archer broke away and did well initially but then he took too long and Burn got back to block his goal bound shot. Newcastle had offered little but Trusty got back to make a tackle after the home side had done down the left-hand side as Osborn was guilty of giving his man too much time. Isak then was denied with a last-ditch tackle from Holgate as the Blades had to stay alert but the chances still came at the other end – as Brereton Diaz shot was saved from Dubravka.

The leveller came out of nothing as Murphy was not pressed down the right-hand side and his ball dissected Trusty and Ahmedhodzic and ISAK was in on goal. The finish was precise and into the far corner giving Foderingham no chance. It was well taken but really poor defending.

United should have been back in front almost instantly as Ahmedhodzic came out of defence and played a lovely through ball and Brereton Diaz was in and rounded the keeper but did not spot Burn getting back who cleared the ball before it crossed the line. The corner came over and Archer then got his head on it and it bounced off the post. The rebound fell for Brooks who smashed wide. United had created so many chances and really should have been in front. However, Hall had an effort that Foderingham had to do well to get down to, just before half time.

The second half saw Newcastle make a change with Schar on for Krath and the home side came out with a different approach and they were onto the loose balls and winning tackles. United were now penned back and Livramento won a free kick which Gordon floated in and GUIMARAES shook off Brereton Diaz too easily and headed across into the corner with the marking completely absent. Newcastle now sensed United could fall apart and Foderingham had to deny Gordon. The same man got away from Holgate who clumsily brought him down and the penalty award was routine. ISAK took it and converted easily and the game seemed up for the Blades.

The almost gamely implosion continued for United as a fourth came soon after. Longstaff won a corner and after Anderson headed down, OSBORN (OG) flicked it into his own net. There was a flurry of changes with Barnes and Wilson on for Murphy and Anderson for the home side and Osula, Robinson and Souza for the Blades – with Archer, Holgate and Brooks departing.

The firth goal came though soon afterwards as sub-Barnes was allowed to run through three players without even a challenge and the ball was played to fellow sub-WILSON who emphatically smashed into the top corner. Newcastle scored their 13th league goals against the Blades this season - the most one team has registered against another in a single Premier League campaign. United’s players cut a sorry state now with heads down after yet another absolute hammering. With probably around 25 minutes left, it was now a case of if the Magpies could match the goals they scored at the Lane.

Foderingham had to make a series of saves in the next 10 minutes as United’s legs had gone but he continued to excel for the second successive game. Osula had a break but his shot was weak before in stoppage time, Bogle’s run brought the award of a penalty but after a VAR check, it was ruled Anderson had got the ball before the ensuing tangle of legs depriving the fans the chance to see a goal in front of them. The final whistle went and at least United were able to avoid further humiliation but the relegation was confirmed. In truth, it had probably been decided as early as August when United sold their star two players and failed to adequately replace them.

United – Another hammering and another game we concede 5 or more (8 games now) and in the last week it has been 4,4 and 5. You cannot win games or come close to winning when you ship goals so easily. Teams score against us ridiculously easy. I get the argument about our lack of ability or even lack of fitness which means we get overpowered and I do agree, but there has to be a collective level of organisation and some resolve to be tight and hard to beat. There has to be some pride but teams concede against us in every way. Through balls, set plays, crosses, long range shots. I have no idea how we are defending (as a team – it’s not just the defence). There is no spine, we are not close together, we don’t go up as a defence, nor we defend deep. We seem to have a hybrid of absolute nothingness and teams have space all over. The notion it’s just because we are tired or do no have the ball is a valid argument but then the first goal today, we had probably had more possession, chances and play and it is one ball where we do not press and an easy run where the defence is not aware and not close enough together.

It is strange as in the first half, attacking wise that is the best we have been for a long time in 45 minutes. We created 5 or 6 good chances and the front two looked dangerous and both should have scored at least two each. Arblaster played well and Brooks did a few ok bits too. We moved it around crisply and that is the best we have looked in terms of controlled possession, certainly away, maybe all season? We could have been 2 up, then maybe 3 or 4-1 up. We were the better side but still looked a bit hesitant at the back and they also had chances as the half went up. Thought Osborn and Trusty down the left looked really out of their depth. Still, we had played pretty well and been in the game but the Premier League is ruthless and if you do not take your chances then you get punished.

We were pathetic second half as they upped it and blew us away. Some shambolic defending granted but we became passive, with and without the ball and lost it cheaply and then stood off giving them so much space to just run at us. The second goal I have seen Wilder say it was a foul but not sure there is enough really having watched it back. They are both grappling throughout the passage. We have to do better and stay with our men. After this, they just went away. More poor defending on a set play and then Holgate makes several mistakes in a bad 2nd half for him and gives a penalty away. They bring on more pace, power and trickery and another goal comes. We end up completely giving up at this stage. Again. That is inexcusable and why so many players need to move on. The culture is of losing and losing without even a fight. Even with the decent first half performance, we have to put together a game but we failed to do that and the second half once again we looked like a League 1 or 2 side playing at St James Park in the cup with players just too quick and strong and us flailing at runners or swinging at things to clear.

5-1 seems ridiculous after the first half but they actually had even more chances 2nd half than we had first half. A fair score might have been about 8-4! The way we just implode and give up – yes we give up is frankly embarrassing. At the end you see them look at the floor and almost seem like they do not want to be there. They must know they are not good enough in ability, power, pace and fitness. Surely no one can think I can play this level and it’s down to my teammates? (maybe Arblaster eventually and Hamer apart).

Wilder’s post-match was very honest. We are simply not good enough but that is the players, the board and the manager/s. The buck stops ultimately with the board and their complete lack of backing and decisions in the summer. I am getting sick of ‘it’s not his fault he’s got no money’ argument. IT does not wash with me. If when he won the court case, he aspired for us to remain at the top level, then he needs to be able to sustain a level of investment or why did he get involved? Was it just a vanity project? If he cannot or does not have funds, he needs to get out – he seems to want to still try and make money from us and clearly the complete lack of bona fide investors interested (even Bettis says he cannot understand why no one is looking to buy us?) show he is asking too much. He is sort of hanging round but not really bothered about taking us forward and now without properly trying to sell (I am not sure he does want to sell personally) then we are left in this no-mans land, a sort of half way house.

The players are not good enough and as MOTD said – it’s about them not being good enough but I still think at times some could do better in terms of application and effort. The way they just give up and accept big defeats will hurt many of them moving forward in terms of any interest they may garner.

However, the manager/s do have to take some blame too. Whilst much of the blame lies at the hands of the owner/board for not properly supporting and sustaining what is needed at this level, the managers have not done enough to get us playing as a unit (as you say look at Luton/Burnley who are both at least fighting to stay up). Neither have made us tough to beat or a unit that is hard to break down. Hecky had us very rarely looking like scoring at all but weirdly we were tighter to begin with till that run of big defeats. Wilder came in and at times we have done ok going forward but if anything, we are even worse at the back now and whilst we do attack more, we are so open and easy to be countered on. We are getting smashed almost every other game (every game at the moment) and I see no improvement in the way we defend individually or collectively. Even with inferior players, surely we should have a structure to make it hard for teams to go through us – but they do it routinely. The last few games, teams easily could have scored even more (Man Utd and Newcastle certainly).

I understand Wilder thumping his badge and saying what a great football club it is. We all think that and so he won’t say any different but I am concerned at the state of things. He seems confident he can turn it round and has a plan but we will not have much money at all. We will see a number of players move on (most probably I will be glad to see go – some less so but have reached the end of the road and right to do it) and we will have a mish mash of inexperienced players, a few holdovers from this season and some that are not good enough to be part of a side even at the top end of the league below. Throw in the two-point deduction and it is hard to be too optimism. The only positive seems to be we won’t be playing teams as good and we can start afresh to a degree. Yet, I would argue the squad going down (or what it might look like) could be far worse than the one that went down last season – that team struggled mightily too with a big hangover.

I am just glad this season is over now (even if we have three games left). I know we have a rivalry with Forest and have to honour the competition but we have not been doing that anyway in getting pumped every week! I would not be even entertaining playing any of those he has made decisions on to move on or the loan lads. We have two strikers playing who won’t be here, a centre back who won’t be here and then a few others who will hopefully be sold (Ahmedhodzic and Souza?) so he may as well try some of those who might still be here – even Osula, Slimane who probably are not up to it but might be a bit better in the league below and youngsters like Curtis and Marsh. Some will say we might hammered but we are anyway? I just think he needs to start the planning now. We are down, so why play people who will not be here – it’s not as if (BBD apart but he has faded) or doing well!

It's been 1 win in 17 since Xmas Day and not a single home win either and fully expect us to end up with losing the final 7 games and probably be nearer 110 goals conceded than 100. Forest, there is a rivalry I get but they will be too strong, as will the other two we play but it matters little now. Not helped that our local rivals now almost certainly will be safe and an awful season cannot end quick enough. We will wait and see if the radical changes on (and off the field) happen over the summer but I will be quite glad to have a break from it all – it has been so depressing just to see your team get beaten and so easily almost every week and you have no hope. We are a laughing stock and the media now almost feel sorry for us. The club as a whole has shown they are simply not equipped to be a top flight club (in the times we have been up there – 3 out of 4 seasons up there since the millennium been relegated) and probably have to accept (I do not think we should but not sure we have a choice as what can we do?) we are a second tier club at best. There needs now to be a long-term plan where we can get things moving with an infrastructure that means if somehow we do go back up (even without big investment) we have a chance to at least be competitive. At the moment I sense it could be a long time before we see stadiums like St James Park unless something radical happens.

Ratings:

Foderingham 7.5/10 – Our best player again. He has no chance on any of the goals and then 2nd half he makes save after save to keep the score down at 5. It is frightening to think what the score would be if Grbic had played. He will move on in the summer and whilst it was right to drop him, ironically he would be fine (as he was before) in the Championship and expect a club at that level to offer him a deal.

Bogle 6/10 – Been one of few bright spots in the last few months and been quite consistent in his efforts and play. He still switches off defensively at times or ball watches but he has applied himself better and showed he cares – one of the few that keeps going to the end of games. He had a few good runs forward and nearly one a penalty. Expect him to be here next season and starting and should be a stand out at the level below.

Osborn 3/10 – He has done ok in recent games and worked hard and kept his shape/discipline either in midfield or left wing back. He was woeful in this game. Miles off his man, did not stop his winger at any point and completely unaware of where he was. They has so much room, it was untrue. Not helped by Trusty and others down this side but showed he is not at this level. First goal does not get out to Wilson, then this happened again and again. Somehow flicked it into his own net when facing the other way -summed up his game! I get those wanting to keep him and I would be fuming if we gave him another year but he must only play the odd game or be a bit part player. He is not close to a starter and there is an argument we should be looking for quicker, more athletic, and younger players (from down the leagues even). The only argument to keep him, is he is already here and we have so many changes to make this summer!

Ahmedhodzic 4.5/10 – First half he was more like 7/10 and played quite well. He scored a well taken header and also came out from the back a few times and a lovely ball to Brereton Diaz when he should have scored. He looked up for it but then completely fell off 2nd half (as did the whole team). He stopped marking, running and even reacting to things. He sort of gave up and his body language at the end as he walked round was appalling. He showed first half what he can do at times and I hope someone will give us a decent fee but expect him to be sold this summer.

Holgate 3/10 – Thought he was ok first half and he did make an interception when they nearly got in and was fine (6/10 at best) but then the drop off was incredible. The second goal he plays everyone onside. He was beaten again and again for pace as Gordon and Isak ran through and on set plays he did not attack the ball, just standing there watching. He concedes a penalty as he looked like a young kid, that lets him run through and then just clumsily hacks him down. He went off as looked completely shattered. After a bad start, he improved but has had a bad week and I am not sure he has done enough for us to use a loan and a considerable wage contribution to bring him back – worrying he did not stand out at WBA/Southampton the last few seasons. I would not play him now.

Trusty 4/10 – First half he made one good block but then constantly was ball watching or not aware of what was going on. The goal he is no clue where Isak was and he comes inside to score. After the break, he and the rest of the defence could not win tackles, headers or stop runners. Set plays went in and no one attacked them. He ended up punting a few out. He was not as bad as Osborn and Holgate either so that sums up how bad we were as a defence.

Brooks 4/10 – Seen Wilder quite praiseworthy of him and I stepped back and thought maybe he did better than I thought – I did not think he offered much at all. He did get around the pitch and a few square balls or break ups of play but generally thought the pace and power looked a bit too much and he looked a bit rabbit in headlights to me. Thought he was our weakest midfielder by some way and seemed to look a bit out of his depth again. Did miss a really good chance to score at 1-1. Been disappointed with him in the chances he has been given to play the last few games. Looks a long way off being a starter, even the league below.

Hamer 6/10 – One of our brighter spots again in terms of trying to be progressive. He at least did get on the ball and try and move it forward but he did lost it quite a bit cheaply and maybe is guilty of trying to play the killer ball too much. He was involved in a lot of our more positive play first half though and always looked to get on it. Second half he dropped off badly and thought offered nothing as we did not have the ball and he was not able to deny them coming through us.

Arblaster 7.5/10 – Our best outfield player by some way. He got on the ball and was neat and tidy but came out of tight spaces with intelligence and good body control. Just looks a really good footballer and always looks to be positive. He is the sort of player who knows where to go and often the ball find him or drops to him. That is not luck. He played some good passes forward to set us on our way and showed today he can run with the ball too. Really impressive and worries me teams at this level will see this and may come sniffing around.

Brereton Diaz 5/10 – He made some good runs down the channels and looked to play on the last man but despite being an outlet, his finishing was poor. He missed a good chance just before we scored. Hit another weak shot and then not long after rounded the keeper but did not look up before applying a weak finish. Faded badly after half time but we never really saw the ball in their half. He has been a decent signing in the sense he has given us goals and something we did not have but he has looked tired in recent games.

Archer 5/10 – I might be in the minority but I have been disappointed with this signing. I expected him to offer a lot more. He has rarely been fit for a period of games and when he has played, he has not scored many goals – only 4. Even BBD had scored more than this. I expected him to have more of an impact but even when fit, he has not always been a regular. I am not sure he is quite up to the top flight in terms of the physicality and the fact when you get chances, you have to take them (especially considering at best he will be playing for one of the lower ranked sides). Today he did well to get in a few times using his pace and movement but missed 3 really good chances. He was quite selfish on them all but then has to score at least one. After the break, he was not in the game and it just was played in our half.

Subs -

Souza 3/10 – Came on and pointed a lot but to be fair, the tide was against us at this point. One but he just smashed it forward which summed up his limitations. He did throw his arms up on full time which made me laugh (like it was a surprise!). He then seemed more bothered about chatting to his Brazilian mate playing for the opposition than clapping the away end or going in the huddle Wilder had organised. An absolute charlatan of a player – I am not convinced teams will want to sign him – at least Anel has shown flashes before. This lad has now been relegated twice and both sets of fans who saw him have said the same thing.

Osula 4/10 –Ran around a lot and at least put his body into challenges but he looks unsure where to run when we have the ball. Had one chance where he came inside but did not quite catch the shot properly.

Robinson 5/10 – He did ok in the sense that he cleared a few balls and at least tried to stop them running through as much but Newcastle sort of took their foot off the gas at this point.

Slimane – Had only 10 minutes but one run with the ball apart, not sure I noticed him. I am not sure he is good enough but we may as well play him the last three games (maybe in a more attacking position where he did ok v Brentford). Another though that if we can along with Traore and Trusty (of the summer signings), you hope we can shift him on.

Manager: Wilder 3/10 – First half more like an 8/10 for the performance and you can argue if players take their chances we are well in front but then despite some good, purposeful, and incisive attacking play, we did not score the goals our play merited. After the break, we just fell apart again. He tried to make changes in personnel but it was too late by this stage. He did not change the formation and maybe drop a man into midfield to try and nullify the balls coming into our last third and sort of just left it. That is worrying really as it went 2 to 3 and then 4 and he did not react? Maybe the players both on the pitch are just not up to it but even Wilder said he was having a heart attack nearly as no one was following his instructions. That is a concern that they cannot do what he is asking them to do?

To say Wilder has a lot of work, is an understatement. I am not sure I am convinced he has shown me anywhere near enough to suggest he will be the man to do it. I accept he will get time to do it but I need to see much more in terms of the things he was supposed to be good at as a coach – motivation, organisation, togetherness, and passion (I know it was mocked when we went through the leagues). He has not been able to motivate these players at all and they are not doing much better under him than Hecky – seen some say it’s miles better but it really isn’t. We have shown more going forward but the stats show defensively we are as porous. I hope I am wrong and he can make the changes and get us going again but fear that he won’t have the funds to change it round as much as we need and that coupled with what I have seen in terms of the lack of wanting to run through walls (which they did last time under his tenure) suggest to me that maybe his ‘run’ as a manager was probably up when he left us 4 years ago. I think any other manager without his connection to the club, they would shake hands, thank him for his efforts and start afresh. I get those saying, what are our other options but believe at some point we need to try something different – granted it did not work under Jokanovic.

Newcastle – First half they were miles off it and a side with better finishing would have score 3 or 4 goals and probably had the game sewn up. Seemed like they thought it would be easy but got a bit of a scare and were lucky to be level. After the break, a different story as they just steamrolled us and looked like scoring every time they attacked. The power and pace was too much for us and every single player stepped up. They came onto the ball and won all the loose stuff and then their quality takes over. In the end, they kind of declared at 5. I was worried they may go on and repeat what they did in the reverse fixture.

They are in 7th place and might get a bit higher but won’t get Champions League again, so had a drop off in that sense. There is discussions they cannot really push on in terms of spending, despite the Saudi wealth, due to FFP. So, it might be where they are, is sort of where they will be at. Really hard to push onto the likes of City, Liverpool and Arsenal and I think when they had the takeover, some thought it would happen quicker but will take time. I won’t discuss the ethics side of who owns them – not sure we are in a position to question it – as we have a Saudi owner who has been part of the Government previously (Sports Minister?).

Opponent Man of the Match – Isak was a constant threat all game and takes this award but Guimaraes was good too – 2nd half. Gordon though has caused us all sorts of problems in both games. They have the likes of Wilson and Barnes on the bench who both would be our best player. They are just miles ahead of a club like us in spending power.

Opponent Weak link – Schar really struggled with the movement of our front two and was taken off at the break.

Referee/Officials – Tony Harrington. The bigger decisions went against us but not sure I was as convinced as Wilder on the push on BBD for the second goal. He sort of shrugs him off but then there was one ruled out for Chelsea quite similar at Villa Park. I did not see either as a glaring error though and so can see why they did not look at it. The penalty is obvious and ours at the end, he did get the ball but it is a clumsy challenge. I was surprised they overruled it, as he has to go though the man to get the ball but then that is the way our season has done and it would have mattered little at this stage. Overall, the fact he did not book one player sums up our pitiful lack of aggression second half as we did not get near them.

Crowd/Atmosphere/Day Out – Had a nice day again, ruined by the football (I should get a merchandise line with this phrase on!). Got to Newcastle around 10.30am and had a few drinks by either side of the Tyne (lovely Brewery café bar Gateshead side right by the Tyne Bridge) before heading up to the ground via the Bigg Market. Newcastle is a surreal place. As you see 50,000 zebras marching up to the ground, you then have mixed in numerous hen and stag dos everywhere with so many drunk people even in the middle of the day. They certainly hit it hard up there. I have had quite a few nights out and it is a good laugh but maybe I am getting too old for it, as I looked at some of the sights and thought I’ll be glad to get back home to bed. They do not wear very much either and it is fair to say they were as many tits on show as they were wearing yellow at St James Park. There were lots of tourist type fans going too which shows the pull of the league that even we get fans coming, mainly from Asia or the USA to watch the Premier League.

It is absolutely packed full of people in the centre all mostly drinking or heading to the game. It is great that the ground is so close to the centre and makes it feel a proper old school stadium. We made the long walk up the steps (I attempted to run up them – my son dared me – but got tired about half way up!). The view of the city is amazing and the ground looks so imposing (least three sides do – but of course one side they cannot develop due to the listed buildings/houses on Leazes Terrace. Shame as they could easily sell another 10-15,000 tickets if they could expand. Impressive tifo display of flags before the start of the game too and of course they play local hero and feels probably more impressive than Anfield or Old Trafford to me?

It was quiet in the game as hard for them to probably get up for it versus a lowly side. We had safe standing and the fans tried to support but you are so high up and away from it, not sure how much noise makes it down. It is a bit like watching a game of Subbuteo I must admit but I quite liked it and felt I could see what was happening pretty well. At the end the away section was only half full but Wilder sent them over and those that stayed gave them the ovation they probably did not deserve. He thumped his badge but it all seemed a bit desperate to me. The proof will be what he does over the summer and to start next season.

After the game, we walked back to the City Centre and had a walk round the Back Pages sports shop which is worth a visit (anyone remember Sportspages in London/Manchester before it went?) and has anything you could want related to books, programmes, mugs, scarves, badges etc. Got a train around 6pm which meant we did not hang around and did think how long will it be before we return to big grounds like this (I am not doing Goodison Park).

Thanks for report.

Managed to get a ticket yesterday. In laws live near Wallsend. So that was fun getting bus back there.

Can't disagree with view.

Osborn 3/10. I’m puzzled. listened to the SUTV commentary and Asaba was speaking highly of Ozzie’s performance - sounded more like a 6/10 - at least in the first half. Anyone who went like to give their score? Thx.

Wes , keep
Bogle , keep
Osborn , release
Holgate , don't even consider
Anel , sell
Trusty , sell
Hamer , keep
Blaster , keep
Brooks , try to coach
BBD , gone
Archer , gone
Robbo , keep
Souza , sell
Osula , try to coach
Slimane , sell
McBurnie , release (injury prone)
Egan , depends on injury
Brewster , stuck with him
RND , release (injury prone)
Gbric , sell
Jebbo , dunno
Baldock , dunno , injury prone
Tiny Traore , sell
Norwood , release
Bash , release (age , injury)

Osborn 3/10. I’m puzzled. listened to the SUTV commentary and Asaba was speaking highly of Ozzie’s performance - sounded more like a 6/10 - at least in the first half. Anyone who went like to give their score? Thx.

Thought he was dreadful and I usually don't mind him. So far off his man and then defensively beat constantly. His touch and passing was poor too. He was the worst defender first half but Holgate usupred him 2nd half and then they all were terrible!

Wes , keep
Bogle , keep
Osborn , release
Holgate , don't even consider
Anel , sell
Trusty , sell
Hamer , keep
Blaster , keep
Brooks , try to coach
BBD , gone
Archer , gone
Robbo , keep
Souza , sell
Osula , try to coach
Slimane , sell
McBurnie , release (injury prone)
Egan , depends on injury
Brewster , stuck with him
RND , release (injury prone)
Gbric , sell
Jebbo , dunno
Baldock , dunno , injury prone
Tiny Traore , sell
Norwood , release
Bash , release (age , injury)

Put this on another thread but your thoughts are broadly in line with mine

Too many losers - ~I'd be up for a huge clearout. We did not do it last time and suffered a hangover. I'd transfer list about 4 or 5 players personally as well as all those out of contract/on loan. Last time I heard people say we cannot make so many changes/bring so many in/clear so many out. Well I'd argue after the stench of this season, we cannot afford not to do that this time.

I'd send all the loans back

I'd sell Anel, Souza (delighted if we get 10-15 million for the pair)

Out of all those who deals are up, would give Bogle a deal, probably Egan too, offer Osborn maybe a cheap deal and McBurnie on a pay and play deal. Baldock will move on as much as I love him - we will not keep him and Bogle and not sure I'd be fussed if Jebbison went (only reason to resign is so we can sell on for me). The rest will move on and rightly so.

I'd transfer list Grbic, Traore, Slimane and Trusty - if we get anything close to a million for any of them we have done well.

Means we are left with not a lot in terms of players who could be seen as first teamers or around the first team and mean we need to sign around 10 players (5 starters) to be even be contending for the top 6. As it stands I think it will be a huge season of rebuild and we will do well to stay away from the bottom reaches but depends on players we get in....

Starters

Bogle
Egan
Robinson
Arblaster
Hamer
McBurnie

Back ups

Osborn
Osula

A few observations

- Hamer with more than twice as many key passes as everyone else as well most crosses is again a stand out performer. Oli Arb not quite as good as recent times, but still had the most successful dribbles (5) and had by far the most touches showing he was the key link through the team. Great to see Brooks got far more involved today, and had most successful tackles (and should have scored!)

- Defensively a car crash again, of all our defenders Anel had most clearances and joint most successful tackles, as well as two shots and two key passes (I wondered if he was trying to get a move!). Trusty had three times more interceptions than anyone else and the highest pass completion in the team (90%). Holgate should have been made to walk home

- Offensively BBD had the highest overall score in the team, with 5 shots, 3 on target, and 3 successful dribbles. Shame we have no chance of keeping him

Great report but I think 3/10 for Wilder is very harsh. He took Holgate off pretty promptly and I don’t think the extra man in midfield would’ve made too much difference when we had such poor midfield options on the bench and the big problems were the basic errors at the back.

Agree about the player ratings. Souza is absolute poison, a shit player with an ego and an attitude problem. I actively despise this player

Put this on another thread but your thoughts are broadly in line with mine

Too many losers - ~I'd be up for a huge clearout. We did not do it last time and suffered a hangover. I'd transfer list about 4 or 5 players personally as well as all those out of contract/on loan. Last time I heard people say we cannot make so many changes/bring so many in/clear so many out. Well I'd argue after the stench of this season, we cannot afford not to do that this time.

I'd send all the loans back

I'd sell Anel, Souza (delighted if we get 10-15 million for the pair)

Out of all those who deals are up, would give Bogle a deal, probably Egan too, offer Osborn maybe a cheap deal and McBurnie on a pay and play deal. Baldock will move on as much as I love him - we will not keep him and Bogle and not sure I'd be fussed if Jebbison went (only reason to resign is so we can sell on for me). The rest will move on and rightly so.

I'd transfer list Grbic, Traore, Slimane and Trusty - if we get anything close to a million for any of them we have done well.

Means we are left with not a lot in terms of players who could be seen as first teamers or around the first team and mean we need to sign around 10 players (5 starters) to be even be contending for the top 6. As it stands I think it will be a huge season of rebuild and we will do well to stay away from the bottom reaches but depends on players we get in....

Starters

Bogle
Egan
Robinson
Arblaster
Hamer
McBurnie

Back ups

Osborn
Osula
The conclusion is that with the exception of Hamer , every permanent signing made last summer , plus Gbric in January , has been a failure , whether considered as a PL or Championship player.
An object lesson in how to saddle yourself with poor recruits and now lose money trying to shift them.
Souza £10m
Trusty £6m
Traore £5m
Slimane £2m
Gbric £2m
I hope to goodness Villa honour their obligation to buy Archer back.
The people who think that "money is disappearing out of the club" are correct , but it's easy to see where it's going - the worst recruitment imaginable.
Add in the £23m for Brewster and that's almost £50m wasted , before taking wages into account.

Not that it would have changed much except maybe the mentality of the players, but that was a foul on BBD. Watch it back. It's not a 50/50 challenge, BBD gets pushed two handed in the back. It was a foul and shouldn't have stood.

Quote of the season DB :D;

" It is fair to say there were as many tits on show as there were wearing yellow at St James Park"

That sums up how I feel about SUFC at the moment. Laughing stock, embedded culture of losing and losing badly, tactical ineptitude, visible lack of game management, no heart or desire. In all my years of supporting the Blades and that takes us back to the 60's I have never seen collectively the team as a whole give up the ghost and lay down their tools consistently. The youngsters are excused from that criticism as they are still learning their trade. What a toxic environment to start your career.
`
Agree wholeheartedly the players are better than this and they need to show it in the last 3 games.

The fault lies at the top. We only hear from them when times are good. When its bad they prefer to hide behind the managers. PH was hung out to dry last year. Now we have CW being given it seems more responsibility, something he admitted was his downfall last time, saying there will be changes that will make us better without providing any details. The spin merchants are out " we're all on the same page, there is a plan etc etc. Yet there is no visible evidence of real change. All that has happened is the Board have seemingly given CW a crystal ball and told him to recreate 2016-2019.

An efficient pro active club would be announcing the retained list next week having concluded all its contract negotiations. A new Head of Recruitment would be implementing ins and out negotiations before the seasons end ensuring when pre season starts new bodies are through the door. A top Championship club will employ their Sporting Director to drive a rigorous recruitment plan ensuring lessons have been learnt. A pro active Board will have apologised to the supporters for relegation and communicated via local media and supporters forums what plan is in place to achieve promotion.

SUFC's embedded reactive culture will ensure no structural change, no apology or admission of failure, continued drift on the appointment of an HOR (now seven weeks since Mitchell left), a recruitment plan predicated on at least 2 substantial sales that will delay incomings as price is haggled by external consultants through the summer. In short ground hog day for season 24/25. Until there is change nothing will change.

Our only hope is relegation may have kick started a few lurking buyers into action. I'll be there against Florist.

Come on let's face it tiny Tim's we'll out of his fucking depth like 95% of the team, bar arblaster, which if any top club would be absolutely mad not to sign him, just for his progression, the lads class, Oliver fuck off because this club will suck the life out of you eventually.... sorry 😞

Quote of the season DB :D;

" It is fair to say there were as many tits on show as there were wearing yellow at St James Park"

That sums up how I feel about SUFC at the moment. Laughing stock, embedded culture of losing and losing badly, tactical ineptitude, visible lack of game management, no heart or desire. In all my years of supporting the Blades and that takes us back to the 60's I have never seen collectively the team as a whole give up the ghost and lay down their tools consistently. The youngsters are excused from that criticism as they are still learning their trade. What a toxic environment to start your career.
`
Agree wholeheartedly the players are better than this and they need to show it in the last 3 games.

The fault lies at the top. We only hear from them when times are good. When its bad they prefer to hide behind the managers. PH was hung out to dry last year. Now we have CW being given it seems more responsibility, something he admitted was his downfall last time, saying there will be changes that will make us better without providing any details. The spin merchants are out " we're all on the same page, there is a plan etc etc. Yet there is no visible evidence of real change. All that has happened is the Board have seemingly given CW a crystal ball and told him to recreate 2016-2019.

An efficient pro active club would be announcing the retained list next week having concluded all its contract negotiations. A new Head of Recruitment would be implementing ins and out negotiations before the seasons end ensuring when pre season starts new bodies are through the door. A top Championship club will employ their Sporting Director to drive a rigorous recruitment plan ensuring lessons have been learnt. A pro active Board will have apologised to the supporters for relegation and communicated via local media and supporters forums what plan is in place to achieve promotion.

SUFC's embedded reactive culture will ensure no structural change, no apology or admission of failure, continued drift on the appointment of an HOR (now seven weeks since Mitchell left), a recruitment plan predicated on at least 2 substantial sales that will delay incomings as price is haggled by external consultants through the summer. In short ground hog day for season 24/25. Until there is change nothing will change.

Our only hope is relegation may have kick started a few lurking buyers into action. I'll be there against Florist.
Absolutely spot on

Great report as usual DB.

The Brooks chance - makes me shake my head and curse when a professional footballer fails to hit the target from 10yds out, totally unchallenged with the ball sitting up nicely. Irrespective of age and experience at first team level.

Osborn is much better in midfield than as a wing back.

He gives us that much needed energy in the middle of the park.

At championship level he can probably get away as a wing back but in the prem his size and build alone make it a complete no contest.

Just seen the goals for the first time since the weekend.

Anel on that fifth goal…christ almighty the lack of defensive instincts, poise, leadership, reading of the game, awareness, communication, pride.

People need to realise how much of a common denominator this plank has been across so many of our worst peformances and moments this season.

I don’t care if no one comes in for him, buy a young replacement for next season and drop him cus he’s wank.

The goals, drives with the ball and most importantly being looked after by Baldock and Egan last season papered over what is a thoroughly shit defender.

Just seen the goals for the first time since the weekend.

Anel on that fifth goal…christ almighty the lack of defensive instincts, poise, leadership, reading of the game, awareness, communication, pride.

People need to realise how much of a common denominator this plank has been across so many of our worst peformances and moments this season.

I don’t care if no one comes in for him, buy a young replacement for next season and drop him cus he’s wank.

The goals, drives with the ball and most importantly being looked after by Baldock and Egan last season papered over what is a thoroughly shit defender.

Anel on that third goal.

He is honestly as thick as fuck as well as spineless.

Fuck off out the club yer pasty faced maggot

Back
Top Bottom