Whatever happens now

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

coaxingstar71

First 10 yards are in the head
Reaction score
We are all excited about the prospect of challenging for the automatic spots. Not surprisingly, I think it will go down to the last game. Of course if we don't make it, the likelihood is that we'll face the lottery of the play-offs. We all know about our record in that respect, however, if ever there was a Blades team that I thought could do it, it would be this one.

However, even if we don't achieve promotion, it's still been a great season. Generally, the quality of our play has been excellent. The squad has improved on last season, Egan and Norwood have been quality additions. The only disappointment in that respect was that Woodburn was nowhere near the quality signing we expected him to be.

Highlights for me so far have been - 4-1 v Villa, 2-0 v Blackburn, 3-1 v Derby and 1-0 v WBA

At the end of the season, we just need to remember that it will be only 3 seasons ago that we lost meekly 2-0 to Scunthorpe at home in Nigel Adkins last game in charge.

Whatever happens, this will have been the most entertaining Blades team I've ever watched. However disappointed I might be with whatever circumstances dictate our finishing position, I won't be disappointed with this season and what the players and manager have offered us. Far better than what I expected, far better than should be expected.

This could well be another story about Sheffield United's nearly men. It won't be a story about underachievement, mismanagement, or poor football on display. We can get over anything that stings us and be proud.

In some shape and form, they are. Any competition that has the possibility of being decided on penalties and there's a big element of chance.

Never heard as much rubbish.

The team who performs best in the play offs gets promoted. It's as simple as that.

We've never been successful in the play offs because we've never been good enough on the day.

Due to the financial implications of promotion or not, would they be using VAR in a play off final this year?

Never heard as much rubbish.

The team who performs best in the play offs gets promoted. It's as simple as that.
Haha!! I think you've just topped it with your follow-up, Nuddy!

We've never been successful in the play offs because we've never been good enough on the day.
Interesting you make a sweeping statement and then use only SUFC as your reasoning.

This makes an interesting read, if you're at all open-minded on the matter bud.

Haha!! I think you've just topped it with your follow-up, Nuddy!

Interesting you make a sweeping statement and then use only SUFC as your reasoning.

This makes an interesting read, if you're at all open-minded on the matter bud.

Honestly no idea what you're on about.

I'm already telling the Mrs that I'm definitely not going to Wembley again after watching wolves, Burnley and Huddersfield beat us in the play off finals. She knows I don't mean it and of course I will be there 4th time lucky.

You seem to be saying that penalties are decided on chance?

We lost to Huddersfield on penalties because they were better than us at taking penalties. It had nothing to do with chance.
I'm not saying it has EVERYTHING to do with chance, I just said there is some element as "who shoots first" is decided on a coin-toss. Which, according to the study I linked to, then leads on to this...

One might expect that both sides would have an equal chance to win the penalty shootout. However, the data indicate that the team that shoots first has a 60% chance of winning the penalty shootout, which in this study is significant at less than a 2% level. Even more interesting is the finding that the team shooting second has a consistently lower shooting percentage and consistently longer odds of leading the shootout after each round.

It's considerable. What captain, in their right mind, would choose to shoot a) second and b) towards opposition fans? Would you? if not, why not? And that's decided on a coin-toss.

You seem to be saying that penalties are decided on chance?

We lost to Huddersfield on penalties because they were better than us at taking penalties. It had nothing to do with chance.

If we'd lost 3-0 on penalties with them having scored all theirs and we'd missed all ours then I might be inclined to agree, but when it goes to sudden death and almost every player has taken one, then I think your argument is incredibly thin.

I saw us play Palace in 1997 and although we were anonymous, they were almost equally anonymous apart from one speculative hit in the last seconds of the game.

Seen a lot of posts lately of how many points we need to get automatic or what away games we need to target to get 3 points or that whoever the next match is against is a "must win" and all that stuff.

All these worries and predictions are natural but I personally am really relaxed about the whole thing and am enjoying the season more than any other. We are in a position where the worst case scenario is we make the play offs. I never thought we would make the play offs this season. I certainly didn't think we would be worrying about not getting automatic promotion to the Premiership 3 years ago.

You could argue this is the best chance we have to get promoted and we may lose Wilder soon. These are fears I hold too but right now you simply have to enjoy this promotion race. I've watched United long enough to know seasons like this aren't common and it will almost definitely all go to shit soon. We might not go up, we might lose to someone like fucking Middlesbrough in the play off semi , but whatever happens we will look back in 10 or 20 years with great fondness of these past few seasons.

The only way this season will be a disappointment is if we don’t finish at least 6th.

Even if we get tonked in both playoff legs, I will still go and I’ll still applaud every one of them off.

The way we play they must be knackered but they don’t look it. They only look desperately to do well and be in the team.

If we'd lost 3-0 on penalties with them having scored all theirs and we'd missed all ours then I might be inclined to agree, but when it goes to sudden death and almost every player has taken one, then I think your argument is incredibly thin.

I saw us play Palace in 1997 and although we were anonymous, they were almost equally anonymous apart from one speculative hit in the last seconds of the game.
Every professional player can take a pen. A number of players on both sides bottled it. Ours more than theirs.

they missed the first 3 , how we managed not to take advantage of that still baffles me
Tbf, just watching it my legs were like jelly. I remember thinking at the time if I was a player I wouldn’t have been able to take one.

It’s a massive game for L1 players, very few would have had experience of anything similar. It was heartbreaking but just one of those things.

Tbf, just watching it my legs were like jelly. I remember thinking at the time if I was a player I wouldn’t have been able to take one.

It’s a massive game for L1 players, very few would have had experience of anything similar. It was heartbreaking but just one of those things.
we played 300 minutes of play off football , didnt concede a goal and still missed out

only team ever to do it

I think if we make the playoffs it will be an amazing season for us. Il be dissapointed if we don’t go up because we may possibly lose players/our manager. Some of them have deserved the chance to play at a higher level.

I don’t think we will be suited to the playoffs. I can imagine it will be very much the same as the Wednesday game.

I'm already telling the Mrs that I'm definitely not going to Wembley again after watching wolves, Burnley and Huddersfield beat us in the play off finals. She knows I don't mean it and of course I will be there 4th time lucky.
they missed the first 3 , how we managed not to take advantage of that still baffles me
In fairness we missed 2 of our first 3 pens and 3 out of our first 4, so it’s not like we pulled away enough to get out the cigars.

Back
Top Bottom