Whatever happens now

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Seen a lot of posts lately of how many points we need to get automatic or what away games we need to target to get 3 points or that whoever the next match is against is a "must win" and all that stuff.

All these worries and predictions are natural but I personally am really relaxed about the whole thing and am enjoying the season more than any other. We are in a position where the worst case scenario is we make the play offs. I never thought we would make the play offs this season. I certainly didn't think we would be worrying about not getting automatic promotion to the Premiership 3 years ago.

You could argue this is the best chance we have to get promoted and we may lose Wilder soon. These are fears I hold too but right now you simply have to enjoy this promotion race. I've watched United long enough to know seasons like this aren't common and it will almost definitely all go to shit soon. We might not go up, we might lose to someone like fucking Middlesbrough in the play off semi , but whatever happens we will look back in 10 or 20 years with great fondness of these past few seasons.
Well said Roy, spot on! UTB

It's a weird one because part of me wants to stay in this hugely entertaining and unpredictable league for much longer. I like the Championship 'atmosphere' if that is the right word, including the media coverage [Quest is superb and Sky is ok most of the time. I also like the fact that most fixtures still revolve around the Saturday 3pm / Tuesday or Wednesday evening time slots, even though that is gradually changing, especially for teams like us who Sky seem to like and can trust to put on attractive football at times of their choosing.

At the same time we can't stand still, and if we want to keep hold of Wilder/Knill & co, and most of our best players we are going to have take the next step sooner rather than later. I don't look forward to going to the Lane at Sunday tea time or Monday evening, but the pros will no doubt outweigh the cons should we get up and stay up.

So all that being said, if it happens then great, but I am not in a huge rush personally. Wilder and most of our players might be however, and there in lies the problem with my somewhat laid back attitude.

Williamson, Lowton, Taylor and Simonsen all bottled it.

If Lowton scores then we win. Simple as that.

It drives me crackers when people attribute any blame to Simonsen for us losing that final. Huddersfield miss their first 3 and yet we still need to rely on a GK to save our arses from the penalty spot, rather than from the goal line.

I don't know why you felt the need to say he bottled it? When you also say [re the Lowton comment] that he should never have been in that situation in the first place

I'm already telling the Mrs that I'm definitely not going to Wembley again after watching wolves, Burnley and Huddersfield beat us in the play off finals. She knows I don't mean it and of course I will be there 4th time lucky.
Those of us that also saw the defeat to Palace can assure you that 4th time is not lucky.

It drives me crackers when people attribute any blame to Simonsen for us losing that final. Huddersfield miss their first 3 and yet we still need to rely on a GK to save our arses from the penalty spot, rather than from the goal line.

I don't know why you felt the need to say he bottled it? When you also say [re the Lowton comment] that he should never have been in that situation in the first place

Simonsen still bottled it. He was shitting himself.

I blame Lowton more than Simonsen though.

For what reason?
There wasn't anything in your OP that was particularly wrong, but it felt like a season's summing up and had a tinge of negativity in it - if we do finish in the playoffs - let's remember how far we've come. There's a lot of football to play yet and I think such musings make more sense when we actually know, or are pretty sure, that we're ending up in the playoffs.

All too playing it safe and getting yourself prepared for a let down. United s achievements against the odds deserve more backbone than that. I doubt for one minute this the way the likes of wilder, Billy, Bash and enda see it. We can do this and all Blades need to get right behind the effort. United are good enough, Sheffield is good enough, we are good enough - it's our time. Fucking get on it.

There wasn't anything in your OP that was particularly wrong, but it felt like a season's summing up and had a tinge of negativity in it - if we do finish in the playoffs - let's remember how far we've come. There's a lot of football to play yet and I think such musings make more sense when we actually know, or are pretty sure, that we're ending up in the playoffs.

Not negative at all. I said I thought automatic would go down to the last game.

Luck plays a major part in a game of football. That’s because when a spherical object traveling at high velocity (like a ball) hits another object (like a footballer), there’s no predicting the direction it will take

In other words, it’s hard to predict which direction the ball will take after deflections, saves or tackles. The ball could go out of play, be cleared, or run fortuitously into the path of a striker. The officials can make mistakes too.

Of course, you make your own luck. If you’re constantly attacking, the loose ball won’t be a threat to your goal. However, you can set up perfectly and play far better than the opposition but lose to a deflected goal or a dodgy penalty.

An excellent team will win most games (but still lose a few). Over a 46-game season, the team’s excellence should be reflected in the league table but it takes time for the pattern to emerge. In the play offs, the better team’s chances of winning will be diminished due to the fact that they will only play 90 (or 180) minutes of football played compared the 4,140 minutes in a regular season.

It takes time for the cream to rise to the top.

Back
Top Bottom