What was your coldest United match that you have been to

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Crewe Alexandra at BDTBL on a Friday night, bit chilly.

On a personal note, I've decided when the yellow ball starts being used, that's when i'll not be going 'Commando'.

Was this the time where it had snowed and they played on a frozen pitch? But wouldn't postpone the match as it was on Sky and not enough notice. I remember the game as a bit of a farce because the ball kept stop rolling.

North Pole united away, Jan 1992

Wolves away about 60 years ago. Snow on the pitch (just the lines cleared) & , I think Stan Culllis was there centre half who skied the ball as soon as he got it. That was the real "long ball game". Took a flask of coffee & stood on their spion kop. It was cold enough to chill the coffee as soon as it was poured out. The transport was Sheffield United Tours which became National Express & the driver said he wouldn't wait for anyone after 5 o'clock - he was the last to arrive back at the coach! I think it was a 0 - 0 draw.

Burnley at home in the 60's. Blackman was in goal for Burnley I think. In those days the goalies wore track suit bottoms, I think the lines on the pitch had to be cleared to see them from the
Burnley at home in the 60's. Blackman was in goal for Burnley I think. In those days the goalies wore track suit bottoms, I think the lines on the pitch had to be cleared to see them from the frost.
Adam Blacklaw

Must have been between '97 and '98 (I think), mid week night match, snow coming in sideways between BL stand and South stand...5 mins before KO the Bladettes appear in their skirts and t-shirts and do their full set. Absolutely nails.

It wasn't today
No mate
Watford in 1985, anyone that was there will tell you.

I blame Watford in 1985 for every illness and ailment I ever get. I was freezing like I'd never been before or since
I can't remember what I was wearing, but it probably wasn't something as sensible as I'd wear to a match in January now.

Mind you, I've froze me nuts off at Oldham as well, but for me I was so cold at Watford I almost cried, but if I did me eyes would have frozen

Watford in the cup in 1985. It was Baltic.

Derby away was colder but my clothes were better so didn't feel as bad

Mansfield in the FA Cup in 1989 ? was cold too.

Remember Palace at home in 1986 0-0 freezing fog. You couldn't see past the half way line

Has anyone mentioned Colchester away, mid week evening fixture about ten years ago I think.

That was very cold, glad I had my flask with me for a wee nip.

HH

Was about to mention Villa at home in the cup 25 years ago until I realised I’d already made the same point on this thread back in 2016.

Derby was pretty cold as well.

Crewe at home on a Tuesday night. Think ot may have been Warnocks promotion season. If memory serves, kick off was delayed and it ended 0-0.

Hottest match, Huddersfield play off final. Not even a question
I was selling programmes that night and looked like a feckin snowman stood on the corner of Shoreham st.
The Spurs cup semi was a cold un too, bus driver refused to take the bus out of town as the snow came down after the game ended, got a taxi who refused to go up Handsworth so ended up walking about a mile and half in a blizzard.

Derby away, night match. No idea what year, score or owt.

I was sat about 2 or 3 rows from the front and I'm still thawing out. Maybe 15 hears ago?

I don’t think it was all that cold yesterday, much colder on Friday and this morning.

Grimsby away, February 2002.

Quite the event.

Started off the day with our van crashing into a roundabout because of the ice.

Had a bit of a kickabout on the beach to keep warm, when an escaped mental patient wanted to join in. He ran around shouting racial epithets before falling over and having an asthma attack, so we had to call him an ambulance.

Then Paul Peschisolido hit a screamer in the pre-match warm up, which simultaneously dislocated my middle finger and caused me to drop freshly-poured Bovril on my bollocks, and as we all know, Bovril is an unusual substance, which somehow still remains liquid at 2000 degrees celsius, cheers Paul.

Then a massive scrap broke out in the away end between pro and anti Neil Warnock factions, easily proving to be more entertaining than the utter tosswankery on display from the team.

Then after the match (lost 1-0), our contingent of 17 year old gobshites got into a fight with some local 17 year old gobshites outside the amusements, and I must say I did fairly well without the use of my left hand (thanks again Paul). I courageously twatted the smallest one in their group and then left the bigger boys to it.

The day's events came to an end when a copper told us to fuck off home or get nicked. At which point, we clambered back into the knackered van and successfully drunk-drove all the way back to Sheffield.

Leaving Grimsby is always a source of immense pleasure, but none more so than that day...

Cold !!
Carlisle in January with the wind blowing on the not completed stand

Back
Top Bottom