What is the plan?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

CPB

Reaction score
Firstly this isn't me laying into Slav.

But what is the plan from the board and SJ?

Let me start with Slavisa.
He has arrived a little later than we hoped but still has been in charge for 7 weeks now.
I appreciate he's only brought in one signing I also appreciate its been a disruptive pre season. But as yet I'm struggling to see the plan or identity he wants the players to play. Aside from playing out from the back. So far I haven't seen a game plan, pattern or style to score.
People can slate the players in last night's midfield but the issue seemed to be the plan. They're all too deep, there is no breaking of the lines too. Midfield looked tad more dynamic when Freeman came on. At half time nothing changed which surprised me.
Last night we also lost so many 1st and 2nd balls. Valerian's bread and butter we got bullied.

Hopefully with some new signings if they come out play will start to become apparent. SJ often starts slow. Hopefully this might be a shock in a good way all round and not what we fear instead.

Board. We've been relegated since April. Finances must have been clear since before then. Why does it feel we are deliberating over everything constantly. I mean SJ took nearly 3 months to announce. Yes I know he was in a job but you hear of managers being announced before the season end.
Where is any sign of improvement in training facilities coming from. It's been 2 years since promotion and even the players are talking about it. (They could be disappointed nothings happened too)
This United World group sounds good but does it mean the Prince and board are spread too thinly?

We should be challenging for promotion. This still might happen of course.
But if we aren't careful we will be back where Wilders journey started and nothing to show for it.

Yes people can lay blame at Wilders door certainly on recruitment. But most of this squad have proved capable at this level. He left us heading for the Championship which is still a league above where we started.

I hope this is the wake up call the club needs. It's a good time for one while the window is open.

I'm still hoping he's using this period as an extended preseason. He seems to be trying an awful lot of things and various combinations. He hasn't long though and he's going to have to be ruthless.

I'm still hoping he's using this period as an extended preseason. He seems to be trying an awful lot of things and various combinations. He hasn't long though and he's going to have to be ruthless.
Yeah I do get that too. Preseason was not to plan at all.

It's been an absolute mess. We were told it was "evolution not revolution" by the board and incoming manager. It's been the opposite. You either play a system that suits the players you have, or bring in players that suit the system you want to play. So far, we've done neither.

I think we've got to hope that our shambolic pre-season is the reason for these seemingly random team selections and inadequate performances. It may look very different after ten games. Fingers crossed.

Hope the wind blows the ball into the other teams net.

We are one hurricane away from our first win.

YIHF

Last night we may as well have played kick and rush. Obviously we were trying to play from the back but we were unable to. I lost count of the number of times we passed it square, then backwards, allowed the pressure and ended up lumping a panicky ball upfield to no one in particular. If we are going to do that we may as well let the goalie do the kicking upfield, at least he won't be under pressure.

I think the plan is definitely more possession based football and i do feel Norwood is trying to reign in his long passes slightly. But what's left at the end of that is nothing. Except passing it around the back before eventually booting it long.

For what it's worth I think the injury to Moose was a big set back in Slavs plan. (Which it shouldn't of been based on how often he plays)

I think the plan is definitely more possession based football and i do feel Norwood is trying to reign in his long passes slightly. But what's left at the end of that is nothing. Except passing it around the back before eventually booting it long.

For what it's worth I think the injury to Moose was a big set back in Slavs plan. (Which it shouldn't of been based on how often he plays)

What I don’t understand is how we’re trying to play possession football whilst simultaneously completely bypassing the midfield.

I though a system like that would be perfect for Berge, dropping deep and carrying the ball through the midfield and starting attacks but we just seem to crumble under the pressure. No one has any composure on the ball.

It's been an absolute mess. We were told it was "evolution not revolution" by the board and incoming manager. It's been the opposite. You either play a system that suits the players you have, or bring in players that suit the system you want to play. So far, we've done neither.

I think we've got to hope that our shambolic pre-season is the reason for these seemingly random team selections and inadequate performances. It may look very different after ten games. Fingers crossed.

OK, what system would that be?!

He has arrived a little later than we hoped but still has been in charge for 7 weeks now.
I appreciate he's only brought in one signing I also appreciate its been a disruptive pre season. But as yet I'm struggling to see the plan or identity he wants the players to play. Aside from playing out from the back. So far I haven't seen a game plan, pattern or style to score.
People can slate the players in last night's midfield but the issue seemed to be the plan. They're all too deep, there is no breaking of the lines too. Midfield looked tad more dynamic when Freeman came on. At half time nothing changed which surprised me.
Last night we also lost so many 1st and 2nd balls. Valerian's bread and butter we got bullied.

Hopefully with some new signings if they come out play will start to become apparent. SJ often starts slow. Hopefully this might be a shock in a good way all round and not what we fear instead.

Board. We've been relegated since April. Finances must have been clear since before then. Why does it feel we are deliberating over everything constantly. I mean SJ took nearly 3 months to announce. Yes I know he was in a job but you hear of managers being announced before the season end.
Where is any sign of improvement in training facilities coming from. It's been 2 years since promotion and even the players are talking about it. (They could be disappointed nothings happened too)
This United World group sounds good but does it mean the Prince and board are spread too thinly?

But if we aren't careful we will be back where Wilders journey started and nothing to show for it.

Yes people can lay blame at Wilders door certainly on recruitment. But most of this squad have proved capable at this level. He left us heading for the Championship which is still a league above where we started.

I hope this is the wake up call the club needs. It's a good time for one while the window is open.
There looked like a kernel of a plan against Swansea but that disappeared last night.

United World is the same shite Mc Cabe did buying up clubs around the world it got us no where except League One same shite different owner have we got such a short memory?

I've figured it out.... Slav plays the same wank midfield, week in, week out, to prove he needs better players!
That has to be it!!

My mate who's a Luton fan summed us up as thus:

"You're quite good at looking dangerous without actually doing anything".

With the window closing, now is a better time to discuss the plan/strategy from the club.

It certainly isn't outspending our rivals: we've made a huge net profit on transfers, and not spent a single penny on permanent signings. We in fact have the lowest net spend in the division.

It's not sign and develop our own players: all our signings are loanees, meaning any improvement to our new signings benefits the parent club, not us. Furthermore, all 4 players will likely leave and not return at the end of the season.

It's not use our academy or own development squad either: Norrington-Davies is the only young player to get any league minutes so far, despite the squad being threadbare and devoid of youth/pace.

The "plan" appears to be to consolidate and tread water, employ temporary fixes and wait until the last possible minute, and wait until our hand is forced to conduct any business.

Let’s be honest…

chosing a manager is a gamble. What are the odds Slav finishes the season here (50:50??). There is no guarantee he’s going to succeed

when we owe millions on outstanding transfer fees, I don’t think a ST loan oriented approach is the worst idea in the world - we can see how the season goes and make moves from there. We can try some of these loanees and see how they get on, before committing.

we’ve got players with albatross contracts so we can’t clear the deck atm. For me the issue is failing to sign any wingers/ wide forwards for Slav to work with. He’s not got both hands tied anymore but he probably still has one.

We’ve strengthened the squad in the necessary areas to stick with a 352.. Gk ✅ LCB ✅ Midfield ✅

In January, we add to what we’ve got or if we are way off it then there will be a clear out next summer.

when we owe millions on outstanding transfer fees, I don’t think a ST loan oriented approach is the worst idea in the world - we can see how the season goes and make moves from there. We can try some of these loanees and see how they get on, before committing.

Not really; there are no options to buy.

If they play well, they either go back to their parent clubs or are sold on to highest bidder. We don't really gain an advantage by having them on loan 1st.

Let’s be honest…

chosing a manager is a gamble. What are the odds Slav finishes the season here (50:50??). There is no guarantee he’s going to succeed

we’ve got players with albatross contracts so we can’t clear the deck atm. For me the issue is failing to sign any wingers/ wide forwards for Slav to work with. He’s not got both hands tied anymore but he probably still has one.
Completely agree. I think we have to all realise Sheffield United is a business to the owners & a love to us.

Of course we want us to go out and sign the best players out there regardless of their fee but there’s more to it than that.

4/5 quality loan signings that could get us back up the league could be a shrewd tactic instead of paying £10-15m on transfer fees that we don’t have and putting the club in financial problems. Most of this league are in financial problems because of those choices in the past.

It’s now up to Slav to get it right on the pitch, we’ve got a top 4 squad on paper in my opinion.

Not really; there are no options to buy.

If they play well, they either go back to their parent clubs or are sold on to highest bidder. We don't really gain an advantage by having them on loan 1st.

thought I read there was an option for the keeper.

true but say we miraculously go up (I don’t think we will). It would put us in pole position to either buy or loan again.

MGW is the one we couldn’t get.

the types of suitors CH and BD get depends on how they play to be honest. But we’d stand as good a chance as anyone if converting if we wanted to.

thought I read there was an option for the keeper.

true but say we miraculously go up (I don’t think we will). It would put us in pole position to either buy or loan again.

MGW is the one we couldn’t get.

the types of suitors CH and BD get depends on how they play to be honest. But we’d stand as good a chance as anyone if converting if we wanted to.

You might be right about Olsen, though I haven't seen anything about an option to buy.

Completely agree. I think we have to all realise Sheffield United is a business to the owners & a love to us.

Of course we want us to go out and sign the best players out there regardless of their fee but there’s more to it than that.

4/5 quality loan signings that could get us back up the league could be a shrewd tactic instead of paying £10-15m on transfer fees that we don’t have and putting the club in financial problems. Most of this league are in financial problems because of those choices in the past.

It’s now up to Slav to get it right on the pitch, we’ve got a top 4 squad on paper in my opinion.
We're still paying for the lack of planning last season by not getting a new manager in much earlier. We've probably done the best we could have, but it's a bit of a sticking plaster approach.
Bournemouths business looks much more sensible.

We're still paying for the lack of planning last season by not getting a new manager in much earlier. We've probably done the best we could have, but it's a bit of a sticking plaster approach.
Bournemouths business looks much more sensible.
Possibly, but they also learned from their mistakes of last season. Appointed a manager completely out of his depth.

• Angry
Reactions: ZLB
Both managers have complained that the owners don’t stick to plans….

Back
Top Bottom