Wes first goal

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Who would you blame? He’s literally doing nothing. And beat at his near post.
Most of the blame goes to Hamer, who just dangles a leg in on Ings who gets a chance to blast a shot in.
1705864728579.jpeg

Robinson bravely blocks the shot with his chest...absolutely no blame for Robbo here!
1705864794774.jpeg

Wes moves across the goal to narrow the angle...
1705864854046.jpeg

There's no way he can get any further out to narrow the angle because the ball falls perfectly to Cornet to volley home first time. Wes is in just about the right spot in my opinion...being right on the post would not be the correct position for a goalkeeper, but of course all the captain hindsights will say he would have blocked it if he was right on the post.
1705864892319.jpeg

Dunno, but once you realise he’s on his own don’t you come out and close the angles? He stood there and waited for him to shoot for an eternity.
You really need to watch it back a few times...it might have felt like an eternity, but there's less than 2 seconds from Ings initial shot to the ball being in the back of the net.

Not sure it's right to knock him for the goal but fuck me that crap pass to Brooks that should have led to a goal for West Ham.

Others are correct, he makes at least 1 mistake per match especially at this level.

Just an observation, done quite a few aways this season close to the goal in a few and watched Wes . I sit in South Stand block F so it’s hard to judge him from there sometimes. He’s not the biggest keeper I’ve ever seen and he’s not vocal at all but then again neither is Ederson at city . Sure a few on the kop might agree or not maybe . Is it time we had a loud keeper to keep the back line on their toes ?

Yes, Wes should have been on the move and closing the player and angle down, that's his bread n butter.
His reaction to this situation was non existent other that to turn slightly on the same spot and then fall backwards with little attempt to stop the shot.

He literally had less than a second to close down a shot that only came about because of a deflection off our defender. That ball could’ve gone anywhere.

Yep, kind of on the "if Wes magically knew that the shot would deflect to Cornet then we can blame him" bandwagon, rather than whatever defender should have been on Cornet. Blaming Wes for this one is akin to blaming him for being unable to teleport

He's not cut out for this level. But blaming him for this one is unfair
My opinion in real time, I thought he could have done better. I've not seen the goal back mind you. I'm not saying it was a massive error or his fault directly, I also thought it was very fortune for West ham how it ended up at the feet of their goalscorer. But he's got to do better at his near post, and agreed he's not cut out for this level though.

My opinion in real time, I thought he could have done better. I've not seen the goal back mind you. I'm not saying it was a massive error or his fault directly, I also thought it was very fortune for West ham how it ended up at the feet of their goalscorer. But he's got to do better at his near post, and agreed he's not cut out for this level though.

100%. You can sit and dissect it in slow mo as long as you want but I watch the game in real time.

Cornet doesn’t do exactly what he does if Wes rushes out to him.

Wes bashing is not fair imo? He is not premiership standard, but who do we have? He has made many fantastic saves. I have maximum respect for his efforts. The defence in front of him is still error prone tbh. Anel worries me in particular. If we can make a good profit on him then we should take it.
Wes's distribution has always been atrocious. But as a servant to the team he has been immense. Top championship keeper, premier league not quite there. WAK know this and plans are underway, but please don't trash Wes. He has saved us many times, but also is prone to aberrations.

I do respect how much people are trying to alleviate Wes of all blame

Bit of a jump that; look at your first line of the OP and either recall it realtime or watch a replay (which I’m yet to). It just doesn’t marry up.

It’s possible to suggest he could do better at the many efforts he’s had to face this season, but some are going far too far and far too personal.

Bit of a jump that; look at your first line of the OP and either recall it realtime or watch a replay.

It’s possible to suggest he could do better at the many efforts he’s had to face this season, but some are going far too far and far too personal.
I don’t think suggesting a player isn’t fit for purpose is personal? It’s just as a professional

Maybe he’s a great bloke. I haven’t commented on that

I don’t think suggesting a player isn’t fit for purpose is personal? It’s just as a professional

Maybe he’s a great bloke. I haven’t commented on that

Where did I say that you had?

In hindsight is the opening line not a little harsh on this goal?

Shocking. He’s so fucking shit at times it’s unreal.

Hope Grbic is the second coming of Gordon Banks, god knows we need it.

Next season we won’t need a highlight reel show stopper but we will need someone who can actually command his area and give his defenders some confidence.
I’ve lost all confidence in Wes,his passing, distribution and clearances are diabolical.
He doesn’t command his area at all ,his communication is crap,he gets beat at the near post too often but apart from that he’s great

I thought that personal comment was going on something I’d said, fair play if not

It’s a little more around those chucking about abuse of him on Twitter every ten seconds and those calling him a cunt in the ground every time we have the audacity to concede a premier league goal.

I think it’s more we never see him pull of these sort of saves. If it happened 10x it probably goes in 10x with him.

Where as keepers in the past most notably Deano would keep it out to a standing ovation.

Wes has made the most saves in the PL this season and is the 2nd best throughout europe.

I'm defending Wes in this thread but please don't use pure numbers stats to try to defend him like this - he's made the most saves as we are shit and are giving up a lot of shots

Back
Top Bottom