We move on...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

1973Blade

Reaction score
Decent first half, ran out of steam in the second. But nothing like the poor away matches at Hull, Preston and Birmingham last season. The substitutions didn't work, I felt Duffy and Sharp were our most dangerous attacking players. Beat Birmingham and Preston this week and all will be forgotten!

Thought the subbing of Duffy and Sharp were the right thing to do at the time. They’d tightened up on Duffy second half and Billy worked hard but couldn’t get into the game. Missed Flecks support of Duffy which Lunny should have done. Unfortunately the subs introduced just didn’t look the part today. It’s only one game though

The irritating moment for me was near the end when Marvin Johnson was in a great position on the left and chose to shoot rather than centre. He made the wrong decision there.

Anyone know how long Fleck is out for?
I was just about to ask the same question!!. He was badly missed today!!!.
We need a response on weds against brum and get back on track again!!. Won’t be at the Lane on weds but will be back on Saturday for the Preston game. UTB

What else can you do?

I don't want to speak for Ricky but the phrase to me always implies 'we had a bad day at the office but if we carry on like we are doing we'll be fine' rather than looking at what went wrong and making the necessary adjustments. I know that's not always what people mean but that's how it reads.

I don't want to speak for Ricky but the phrase to me always implies 'we had a bad day at the office but if we carry on like we are doing we'll be fine' rather than looking at what went wrong and making the necessary adjustments. I know that's not always what people mean but that's how it reads.
True. I meant we have played some fantastic football these past few weeks. Today we were decent in the first half, poorer in the second. It happens, we definitely missed Fleck today, but a defeat at against a good Bristol City side isn't something to be overly worried about.

Can see your point, by saying “we move on” is almost like you’re not accepting the responsibility and unwilling to study why we lost.

However whilst at SU, Wilder always seems to focus on his own team and doesn’t seem concerned about the opposition. We rarely ever set up to stop the opposition. We always play on the front foot and often it’s the opposition who try to stop us. Bristol C changed their formation today as they were worried.

To be fair even when we play well and win, he doesn’t dwell on the past and looks to the next game.
I think Wilder was generally pleased with the performance, we were a bit wasteful in front of goal (which can happen) and the substitutions didn’t work but iit was a decent performance away to a top half Championship team.

Wilder has said several times.....concentrate on performances.....because performances are an indicator of future results.
Basically if a team generally dominates and keeps playing well...they’ll win more than they lose.
If a team keeps playing poorly but keeps sneaking wins....then logic suggests that team will finish well down the league.

Decent first half, ran out of steam in the second. But nothing like the poor away matches at Hull, Preston and Birmingham last season. The substitutions didn't work, I felt Duffy and Sharp were our most dangerous attacking players. Beat Birmingham and Preston this week and all will be forgotten!

This Wednesday (Birmingham) will not be easy - like every game in the Championship. Brum haven't won all season (P: 7 W: 0 D: 5 L: 2) but let's get back 'on it' and hopefully follow it with another 3 points next Saturday.

Games like today will always happen at this level so no room for despondency. Unlike Derby at Rotherham.

We'll be fine.

You can do nothing wrong in a game and lose, not saying that's the case today, I didn't watch, but desperately trying to find something to change after a defeat isn't always necessary. That's the sort of thing that sees Leeds go through four managers a season

Yeah we weren't actually that bad.

You're right about Billy and Duffy, but they'd been coming into the game a bit more before that and the gap which Duffy had been filling in that attacking role just seemed to be opening up and Duffy was running out of steam in there.

Billy coming off was probably to protect him. The ref had just penalised him again for another soft challenge and he was on a yellow. That yellow could've become a soft red as well.

You'd have thought that taking off an attacking midfielder and a striker wouldn't have created big holes through the middle, but it seemed to.

I love Wilders attacking sense, but i think the right move would've been, Duffy for Stearman and bring Bash into Midfield to give us a bit more bite in there with perhaps Washington on for Billy still.

I thought that whilst i'm not a knocker of Stevens per se, he looked off the pace today, thought that he was looking for the easy way out a lot in the second half and JOC seemed to be stepping out to cover him much more. He looked weak defensively and wasn't composed in the attack. I would've thought Johnson for Stevens could've also been a good option.

Lundstram did himself no harm, Norwood was good, but faded in the second half.

However whilst at SU, Wilder always seems to focus on his own team and doesn’t seem concerned about the opposition. We rarely ever set up to stop the opposition. We always play on the front foot and often it’s the opposition who try to stop us. Bristol C changed their formation today as they were worried.

Bristol City changed their game plan due to their diligence in studying the opposition they were facing. They also won. United stick with the same formation come what may, it's set in stone. It wouldn't hurt if we mixed it up a bit and outmanoeuvred the opposition occasionally. They flummoxed us today, it could just as easily have been the other way round with a bit of imagination.

You can do nothing wrong in a game and lose, not saying that's the case today, I didn't watch, but desperately trying to find something to change after a defeat isn't always necessary. That's the sort of thing that sees Leeds go through four managers a season

As I say it's not always a fair reading of what someone means. We saw it a lot last season, on the unspoken promise that we'd get our act back together and start shooting up the league, every time we lost late on to a rival. But we never did.

Today we've lost late on to a (probable) rival and it's out again. Now of course it's different - Fleck is out for a week or two, not all season like Coutts was, so there's no reason to believe we won't get a lot better than today, starting with the game midweek. And we know from very recent experience what this team can do when Fleck is playing.

This Wednesday (Birmingham) will not be easy - like every game in the Championship. Brum haven't won all season (P: 7 W: 0 D: 5 L: 2) but let's get back 'on it' and hopefully follow it with another 3 points next Saturday.

Games like today will always happen at this level so no room for despondency. Unlike Derby at Rotherham.

We'll be fine.
It was the Birmingham City game last season that I saw the first warning signs, we were poor against a Birmingham team near the bottom of the league. We had just lost to Fulham, but they looked such a skilful side that I thought we would bounce back.

So what would you prefer?

'Two-nil down and we've scraped a home point with a fluke free-kick from Bannan.'?

'Jos has run onto the pitch!'?

'We've got out of jail against the first decent team we've played this season.'?

'We've papered over the cracks.'?

'We've dropped two points at home but it's a really a win.'?

'The team are throwing their shirts into the crowd!'? (Made that one up, but wouldn't surprise me.)

We're pissed off, know we will improve but accepting.

They're delusional.

We played well today, gets on my tits when people who didn't watch the game get suicidal after a loss as if every defeat means we've become shit.
At least we had the chance to take the piss out of the man in your avatar today:) 'Brooks will tear you apart again'!!

The irritating moment for me was near the end when Marvin Johnson was in a great position on the left and chose to shoot rather than centre. He made the wrong decision there.

Hmmm! I don’t know about that. There were seconds remaining and he had a clear sight on goal. Credit to him for having a pop. Pity it wasn’t on target but if he’d done that earlier in the game I think most would have applauded it. I thought he looked sharp and put some good first time crosses in in the short time he was on the pitch. Looks very fit and has pace as well.

At the start of the last two seasons it's pretty much been a universal agreement on here that a mid/top half finish would be decent due to our budget, and what Wilder has to work with.

The season starts, and at the first sign of us not shitting all over everyone we play we get the face on.

I actually think we're very good at the football, and that we've got the quality to better our finish from last season.

Back
Top Bottom