We’re in transition

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Jimmy Fleck

Reaction score
Wilder brought us back into modern times, the culture around the club is still very much like 2007, however due to our exposure in the prem and the international links it has brought we are starting to catch up to a lot of other clubs of our size. Honestly some of the fanbase are embarrassing- the comments on the Northampton game twitter post today was ridiculous, he’s been gone for a while now, move on.
Wilder was fantastic and will always be remembered but we need to move on- end of the day his signings were crap and his tactics aren’t good enough for the prem.
A lot of the younger fans will embrace the changes coming to the club and that’s good- we want to be internationally recognised!

Yep, we are in transition - but is it from a club in the premier league who weren't ready for the premier league to a team in the Championship ready to compete in the Premier League?
Or transition into a small club with limited ambition destined to flip-flop between League 1 and the bottom of the Championship?

Actions of the owner and the board over the next 3 years will tell us which it is going to be.

I trust using the 'popular use of transition' you are not suggesting that we are moving to the 'other bus' i.e becoming Sheffield Thursday?

one of the takeaway's from this season has been that we've tackled the most cutthroat, competitive, athletic league in the world like the pub side/club that we've mocked for years...

That's from the owner, manager, players and some our fans recently...

Fingers crossed we get a new manager soon and that leads to a seismic shift in culture throughout the club.

I trust using the 'popular use of transition' you are not suggesting that we are moving to the 'other bus' i.e becoming Sheffield Thursday?
Who even names a team after a day of the week anyway? Derby Tuesday or Liverpool Friday anyone? Meh!

Transition is a meaningless term. From what, into what? Our club hasn't developed;off the pitch since it's miracle ascension which was purely down to four years of managerial genius and an innovative tactical setup. If we are transitioning what is that transition going to look like? Are you talking about scouting, recruitment, academy, playing squad? Age profile? Getting the wage bill down?
In my experience "transition" tends to mean: "prepare for the excuses".

I thought we were up shits creek??

Watching some of the top end Championship sides looks like we'll be up against it next season, although relegated three clubs looking good for going back up.

Wilder was incredible, but by no means did he modernise the club. If anything, his style of single manager running the job lot is perfectly 1970s
Travelling on the bus to the ground, listening to tactical criticism from your pals in the pub (and taking it on board), having your mates at the training ground telling your club captain what he should be doing at free kicks? You're right mate he didn't modernise anything off the pitch. He was a cigar, a sheepskin car coat and a Jaguar away from the stereotypical 1970s football manager. It was strange that someone so old school could completely bamboozle most of the top flight of English Football for so long and it was great while it lasted but if we're to take a step up we need to be more professional in every aspect. Still, with Chris at the helm it was a far more "real" experience and even though I'm not particularly sad at his leaving, it is disappointing the way it went and I prefer to remember the "old" CW that the one who bailed after such a dismal effort this season.

Seems we are doomed to always be the working class tryer. Just another whack-a-mole participant. Stick your head up into the clear air at the top of the game and have some twat with a mallet smack you back down.

Travelling on the bus to the ground, listening to tactical criticism from your pals in the pub (and taking it on board), having your mates at the training ground telling your club captain what he should be doing at free kicks? You're right mate he didn't modernise anything off the pitch. He was a cigar, a sheepskin car coat and a Jaguar away from the stereotypical 1970s football manager. It was strange that someone so old school could completely bamboozle most of the top flight of English Football for so long and it was great while it lasted but if we're to take a step up we need to be more professional in every aspect. Still, with Chris at the helm it was a far more "real" experience and even though I'm not particularly sad at his leaving, it is disappointing the way it went and I prefer to remember the "old" CW that the one who bailed after such a dismal effort this season.

Seems we are doomed to always be the working class tryer. Just another whack-a-mole participant. Stick your head up into the clear air at the top of the game and have some twat with a mallet smack you back down.
You’ve it summed it up perfectly. Completely agree

The All or Nothing series on City and Spurs was a harrowing watch. It became clear exactly what elite level clubs put into everything. Sports science, nutrition, modern technologies and recruiting systems etc. It was also clear that we are a fair few streets behind, and a head gaffer running everything is doomed to fail. With that said, I still think a sweet spot can exist between modern techniques and old-school principles.

I completely agree with all the above, there are so many transitions to be made, but I think that the most vital transition that we make is from one management team to another, I think that one of the greatest feats that wilder and knill achieved was the unification of the entire club, players, staff, board and us fans, at the moment there are divisions everywhere, so for me the next manager is the most important change, we are United but until we're all United we'll achieve nothing.

Back
Top Bottom