Vinicius Souza

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I remember people getting giddy over him back in August. I didn't see what they saw then. I don't see what he does now. Just.... nothingness
I was giddy after watching his youtube highlights. At last, a fearsome ball winner who will take it ever time, hard but fair and roll it off to the skilful midfielders (ditto Traore, who almost earned the nickname Illiman who? on the strengths of his three minutes of edited trickery on what looked like non-league stadia and the Goodwin Sports pitches). I think the footage we didn't see would've probably been better preparation for what to expect.
That said, Sousa looked ok in the early games. A couple of very fierce long range shots and some decent tackles. Seeing him beside Norwood, reminds me of one of those typical old workplace scenarios. New bloke comes in, looks useful and the old firms' stalwart, feeling a bit pushed out, starts performing better. Pitched together, the new guy lollops about with some deference and the old bloke does the noticeable work, seemingly outshining the new boy but with no better results. I'm a hella sentimental type of guy but it took Norwood until the 95th minute to play one of his trademark 'killer passes'. Maybe, give Sousa the central role and bench Norwood, see if he performs better? It's easier to assume he's the problem because we don't know if Sousa is better but we learned last season, Norwood's better days had definitely passed. Just a thought.
As for a couple of other worthy mentions, Anel looked as puddled as he has all season, very strangely a ghost of himself from last season and Bogle's performances seem to vary from impressive to woeful from one week to another. Is Trusty any better than a fit Egan? I'd say probably not. Hamer similarly hasn't found a consistent level, so selling Berge and buying him hasn't been the masterstroke a lot of us expected, it certainly hasn't let us in a better position and, on last seasons showing if anyone had suggested selling Berge and buying Hamer, a lot of people would've been sold on it.
I really don't know what our next move is. Part of me wants the whole managerial team sacked and damn the damage to the princes' finances. I can't honestly suggest a manager who I could confidently say would turn it around if we did sack Heckingbottom. I'm just sick of feeling so bereft and despairing after every match. The first few games it was 'cruelly defeated at the death', even the whacko result against Newcastle felt like one of those freak results where every shot goes in, and even then, two of the first half goals came from very poor refereeing decisions. It's never been easy being a Blade, we've had some real ups and downs in my lifetime. This just feels like the latter part of the Ken Furphy era and we all know the depths we eventually plummeted to after that.

UTB

I was giddy after watching his youtube highlights. At last, a fearsome ball winner who will take it ever time, hard but fair and roll it off to the skilful midfielders (ditto Traore, who almost earned the nickname Illiman who? on the strengths of his three minutes of edited trickery on what looked like non-league stadia and the Goodwin Sports pitches). I think the footage we didn't see would've probably been better preparation for what to expect.
That said, Sousa looked ok in the early games. A couple of very fierce long range shots and some decent tackles. Seeing him beside Norwood, reminds me of one of those typical old workplace scenarios. New bloke comes in, looks useful and the old firms' stalwart, feeling a bit pushed out, starts performing better. Pitched together, the new guy lollops about with some deference and the old bloke does the noticeable work, seemingly outshining the new boy but with no better results. I'm a hella sentimental type of guy but it took Norwood until the 95th minute to play one of his trademark 'killer passes'. Maybe, give Sousa the central role and bench Norwood, see if he performs better? It's easier to assume he's the problem because we don't know if Sousa is better but we learned last season, Norwood's better days had definitely passed. Just a thought.
As for a couple of other worthy mentions, Anel looked as puddled as he has all season, very strangely a ghost of himself from last season and Bogle's performances seem to vary from impressive to woeful from one week to another. Is Trusty any better than a fit Egan? I'd say probably not. Hamer similarly hasn't found a consistent level, so selling Berge and buying him hasn't been the masterstroke a lot of us expected, it certainly hasn't let us in a better position and, on last seasons showing if anyone had suggested selling Berge and buying Hamer, a lot of people would've been sold on it.
I really don't know what our next move is. Part of me wants the whole managerial team sacked and damn the damage to the princes' finances. I can't honestly suggest a manager who I could confidently say would turn it around if we did sack Heckingbottom. I'm just sick of feeling so bereft and despairing after every match. The first few games it was 'cruelly defeated at the death', even the whacko result against Newcastle felt like one of those freak results where every shot goes in, and even then, two of the first half goals came from very poor refereeing decisions. It's never been easy being a Blade, we've had some real ups and downs in my lifetime. This just feels like the latter part of the Ken Furphy era and we all know the depths we eventually plummeted to after that.

UTB
Good post

I get that he wins tackles but there’s more to it than just getting the ball off the opposition and that’s where he falls way short.

Players win the ball and then distribute, or if the ball is loose they chase the second ball.

He does neither of these things.

It’s like he wins the ball and then is confused about what comes next, so we end up with a loose ball that the opposition can spring onto, and we’re then back under the cosh having surrendered possession.

It’s genuinely like we have one less player on the field.

I get that he wins tackles but there’s more to it than just getting the ball off the opposition and that’s where he falls way short.

Players win the ball and then distribute, or if the ball is loose they chase the second ball.

He does neither of these things.

It’s like he wins the ball and then is confused about what comes next, so we end up with a loose ball that the opposition can spring onto, and we’re then back under the cosh having surrendered possession.

It’s genuinely like we have one less player on the field.
IMO he offers ....nothing . He doesn't protect the back five / four , the opposition runs through and past him . He doesn't drive forward and he doesn't make himself available for a forward pass . He's truly , at the moment , up there with Brewster as one of the biggest waste of spaces we have ever had and trust me , since 1970 ive seen some trash . He's awful

IMO he offers ....nothing . He doesn't protect the back five / four , the opposition runs through and past him . He doesn't drive forward and he doesn't make himself available for a forward pass . He's truly , at the moment , up there with Brewster as one of the biggest waste of spaces we have ever had and trust me , since 1970 ive seen some trash . He's awful

He tackles a lot, but it’s ineffective tackling. That’s my point.

We have a player who might win the ball back with no output, or might not.

He offers nothing else.

He tackles a lot, but it’s ineffective tackling. That’s my point.

We have a player who might win the ball back with no output, or might not.

He offers nothing else.
I must get to spec savers I didn't see too many tackles today

I have been pretty indifferent to to criticism he has received so far. Today however I actually took some notice and watched him quite a bit . He offered Nothing today. And I mean Nothing! Norwood for all his faults at least does not hide . Sousa was Shockley bad. In that he offered Nothing

I actually think he’s pretty soft in a tackle and very rarely wins a tackle and retains the ball. I’d say his “tackle” stats are when he sticks his long legs out and nicks the ball with his toe in crowded areas in midfield, the opposition could still retain the ball from these “tackles” but they go on his stats score all the same.

I must get to spec savers I didn't see too many tackles today

Because they’re not effective tackles. He might stop someone advancing slightly but after that they just get the ball back and run passed him.

I know the manager was given enough money for chips n scraps... but this blokes fee was what? £10million? What a waste of money. Surely we couldve found better.. its getting tiresome now the amount of 'give n gos'. Waltzing into our box, one touch and its a shot on goal... id rather have doyle (Michael).. souza, traore n slimane (both hardly played, why sign them?).. £20million roughly on dross/players who 'arent quite ready/need to be worked with'

Difficult to argue that he's filled 'the Berge role'. In that a big 6ft+ midfielder who's as wet as a girl guide, ambles around, doesn't tackle, doesn't win headers, doesn't pass it forwards.

He gets 10/10 for replacing the ineffectualness of Berge!
He's not anywhere near as good as Berge... he's got the lazy style without any of berges redeeming features, ie assists, goals, going past players, keeping the ball

I know the manager was given enough money for chips n scraps... but this blokes fee was what? £10million? What a waste of money. Surely we couldve found better.. its getting tiresome now the amount of 'give n gos'. Waltzing into our box, one touch and its a shot on goal... id rather have doyle (Michael).. souza, traore n slimane (both hardly played, why sign them?).. £20million roughly on dross/players who 'arent quite ready/need to be worked with'
He's just shite there is no other word for it ... needs to be dropped for Osborn who is way out of his depth at this level but at the same time much better that souza

I pine for Johnny Ertl. Get in the fucking sea, with whoever decided to spunk munneh on him.

There are tackles where you come out with the ball and turn defence into attack, others where you direct it in the general direction of teammates or out of play and, lastly, those where it heads in the direction of another opponent or a more dangerous area to defend.

For me, cut the way it is, this particular statistic doesn't provide much meaningful insight.

All of which leaves me with traditional belief in what my eyes are telling me. Today, that was that you could pluck out a fit, strong League One defensive midfielder and get a similar contribution to Sousa. If Fleck is now fit, he might as well have a go. At least he play the odd forward pass and has an attempt at goal, whilst offering about the same protection to the defence.

Back
Top Bottom