VAR

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I was certain they were going to get a penalty for handball

The incident in the Burnley - Bournemouth game was a fuck up waiting to happen, and sure enough it did.

The same thing should have happened earlier in the season at Anfield but there's no way the video ref was ever going to have the balls to make that call against Liverpool on their own ground in a big game.

Bournemouth, away from home though. Fair game.

I was certain they were going to get a penalty for handball

It was lucky the ref didn't give it. It wasn't a clear mistake though so got away with it a bit. It wasn't deliberate but Osbourn had his arm away from his body and blocked the cross.

Lunny's tackle looked bad but I think it was more clumsy than anything else. Certainly no intent. I'm suprised Dunk got up from that. Could have been very nasty.

It was lucky the ref didn't give it. It wasn't a clear mistake though so got away with it a bit. It wasn't deliberate but Osbourn had his arm away from his body and blocked the cross.

Lunny's tackle looked bad but I think it was more clumsy than anything else. Certainly no intent. I'm suprised Dunk got up from that. Could have been very nasty.

Did Lundstram not get the ball? From where we were sat on the Kop it looked like he did considering the direction the ball went after the tackle. Lundstram was saying he got the ball as well, though I suppose he would say that.
Everyone around me thought that VAR was checking for a red card against Dunk

Thought the Osborn one was a penalty. Considering the West Ham goal got disallowed against us that ball to Osborns hand looked no different

Thought the Osborn one was a penalty. Considering the West Ham goal got disallowed against us that ball to Osborns hand looked no different

I've lost track now but as the ref didn't give it would it have to be a clear error? If so, don't think it was clear. If not, probably a pen.

Did Lundstram not get the ball? From where we were sat on the Kop it looked like he did considering the direction the ball went after the tackle. Lundstram was saying he got the ball as well, though I suppose he would say that.
Everyone around me thought that VAR was checking for a red card against Dunk

Nope. The ball was kicked against him and as Dunk went down Lundstram's tackling foot landed on Dunk's knee. Looked pretty nasty but also unintentional. Lunny was just late into the tackle. Yellow card for rashness more than anything else.

Different rule.

Any ball to hand contact of the attacking team leading to a goal, it is ruled out, black and white. Touch hand? No goal. End.

Ball to hand contact for the defending team is still open to interpretation.

How did that fucker not get sent off for the high foot against O'Connell? The one with Lundstram, as had been said, I thought it was for the tackler going in 2 footed against Lunny. Lunny won the tackle and stayed on his feet, the tackle was still wrong though and didn't originally get blown down.

Different rule.

Any ball to hand contact of the attacking team leading to a goal, it is ruled out, black and white. Touch hand? No goal. End.

Ball to hand contact for the defending team is still open to interpretation.
That doesn’t make any sense as the cross could’ve easily found a Brighton striker and they could’ve scored from it...

So in essence it denied them a chance...

That doesn’t make any sense as the cross could’ve easily found a Brighton striker and they could’ve scored from it...

So in essence it denied them a chance...

Not an intentional handball though from Osborn in my opinion, that's where the rule differs. Even unintentional handballs mean a goal gets ruled out if it's from the attacking team.

It's stupid, though it saved us against West Ham.

Not an intentional handball though from Osborn in my opinion, that's where the rule differs. Even unintentional handballs mean a goal gets ruled out if it's from the attacking team.

It's stupid, though it saved us against West Ham.
Yeah definitely not intentional from osborn. It means that the law applies that he made his body unnaturally bigger with his hand... even if it is accidental...

Did the ref even blow up for the Lundstram tackle. I would like to see that again. It looked from BLUT that Dunk went flying into Lunny but came off worse. The ref had the best view in the ground to be fair. The Osborn one just looked like he blasted the ball at him from a few feet away.

Peter Walton says Lo Celso is unlikely to get a retrospective ban. What if Lo Celso scores the winner in the next 3 games? The ones he'd have missed with a straight red.
Don't get it. If in the end he should have got a red, he needs to serve a ban.its bad enough if you missed it at the time, but if you realise after and don't enforce the punishment then that's even worse.

Don't get it. If in the end he should have got a red, he needs to serve a ban.its bad enough if you missed it at the time, but if you realise after and don't enforce the punishment then that's even worse.

Why couldn't they just send him off when they spotted the mistake? Or at the end of the game?

If he gets off this without a ban, it's league altering.

Said this at the time, Bissouma is prolific at it was even booked in the reverse fixture for simulation.

Was that their number 8? He spent more time rolling on the floor than he did on his feet

So, Liverpool have VVD and City have KDB.

Who is this VAR fella? He always seems to do something against us. Maybe Wilder should put a bid in, in the summer?

Yet more inconsistency today. If that pen Leicester have just been awarded is a handball, then so was the one in the first half at Liverpool that we should have had.

Can’t wait for Dermot Gallagher, Peter Walton and any other ‘expert’ referee to contradict themselves again tomorrow by claiming it was the correct decision.

Yet more inconsistency today. If that pen Leicester have just been awarded is a handball, then so was the one in the first half at Liverpool that we should have had.

Can’t wait for Dermot Gallagher, Peter Walton and any other ‘expert’ referee to contradict themselves again tomorrow by claiming it was the correct decision.

Absolutely right. The one that hit Robertson's hand at Anfield was as clear a penalty under current rules, as you could hope to see.

The fact is, however, that irrespective of the veneer of technology to get decisions right, officiating is still as completely subjective as it always has been. They have added an additional layer of referees but ultimately decisions are still made according to factors that have nothing to do with the fact of what has just happened in front of the referee.

The penalty that we did get was the first awarded against Liverpool at Anfield since 2018. On that basis, Mike Dean (and he's one of the better refs now, so God help us) was simply not going to give a second even for a clear handball, or even another for the foul on Berge. In both instances, he clearly did not objectively assess the incident in front of him. Rather, he had in his mind that we had already been awarded one penalty so there was literally no circumstances under which we would be awarded another.

Look on the bright side we have Lundstrams toe but Leeds have Bamfords pointy arm which is probably the worst VAR decision so far and probably trumps any of ours.

In truth the game has been crying out for video analysis for years. But the incidents where it is required, amount to about ten a season. Blatant offsides, handballs and fouls missed by the officials and leading to a goal.

But, as expected the referees have made it all about them, in an effort to make themselves indispensable and ever more powerful. With the same motives, they also tinkered with the rules to introduce interpretation and phases and bollocks like that, to put themselves front and centre.

It’s always been accepted that a good referee goes unnoticed, that is still true and something has to be done to stop these PGMOL egomaniacs before they destroy the game as a spectacle forever.

Absolutely right. The one that hit Robertson's hand at Anfield was as clear a penalty under current rules, as you could hope to see.
stringer says no!

Back
Top Bottom