VAR killing the game

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

If a decision can’t be made within 30 seconds it’s clearly not a ‘clear and obvious error’ so let the original decision stand.

But there’s no excuse for not giving the penalties, handballs etc.

Burnley’s disallowed goal yesterday was a fucking disgrace. He tripped himself up ffs.
Let the refs/linos make the decisions and get them back to what they are paid to do. Give two reviews per half to each team for penalties/goal incidents). The captain of the team has 10 seconds to tell the ref he wants the review( to prevent people on sidelines checking replays....it may have to be slightly shorter) The ref checks it on the monitor and makes the decision. If they are proved correct they keep the review. If the flag goes up for offside when they is a potential goalscoring opportunity play carries on and if the chance is missed it is up to the captain to decide whether to review

As for VAR we will be happy when decisions go for you disappointed when they don't, is any system going to be spot on. I don't think many Blades will moan about a VAR error if it goes in our favour on Monday, that's football fans for you ;)

maybe but this a football issue. im as angry at man city injustice as a sheff utd injustice

Any system is only as good as the people who interpret and implement it .

Yesterday , we had a situation where a player who , at very worst , accidentally brushed a players heel was deemed to have committed a foul ( no goal ) whereas the tackle from the Spurs player who scythed down the Watford player from behind with BOTH legs was deemed to be OK ( no penalty ) . Utterly farcical .

Interestingly , Gary Lineker pointed out that in over 20 reviews for potential penalties so far , not a single one has been awarded . What a joke , except that it's not funny for the teams who are on the receiving end of these iniquities
and it's only a matter of time before we become one of them .

Any system is only as good as the people who interpret and implement it .

Yesterday , we had a situation where a player who , at very worst , accidentally brushed a players heel was deemed to have committed a foul ( no goal ) whereas the tackle from the Spurs player who scythed down the Watford player from behind with BOTH legs was deemed to be OK ( no penalty ) . Utterly farcical .

Interestingly , Gary Lineker pointed out that in over 20 reviews for potential penalties so far , not a single one has been awarded . What a joke , except that it's not funny for the teams who are on the receiving end of these iniquities
and it's only a matter of time before we become one of them .
For me,VAR in this country is simply a load of refs in a hut protecting their mates on the pitch
Some of the decisions now are a joke
Seems pretty obvious to me

Last month after the Ward-Prowse handball stringer disagreed with me when I said that VAR in PL matches werent giving penalties whilst VAR in CL matches were giving penalties! Think the PL should do the same as the CL by making the ref check the pitch monitor.

VAR is completely pointless unless its offsides, in the Premier League. On the evidence of this PL season so far, it is literally impossible for a referee to make an error obvious enough to have a decision overturned.

It's a complete waste of time and money the way it is being used at the moment. It may as well not exist, an utterly, utterly pointless exercise. Its a joke

Reactions: Dkc
watching rugby this morning & wales v france was fantastic game. but nice to see that rugby taught the premier league a huge lesson in VAR. because they did what we have been screaming for, if its not clear don't give it, because Ref went to the TMO/VAR, because they thought the ball had gone forward. instead of the bollocks we get now of "but he's 0.2mm offside" & ridiculous decisions given where its impossible to see with naked eye

it was a tight call nobody could completely sure even in slow mo, so they didn't overturn it. why can football do this. as I said with the offside unless attacker is clearly ahead then don't give it. nobody gives a toss if you have to get a ruler out

All the torso should be offside to overturn one.

Whereas at the moment they are cutting their finger nails to try to gain an advantage. Something has gone very wrong with this system

Watford's pen claim was as stonewall as it gets, how can it not be a penalty?

Because even with VAR the officials didn’t have the bottle to give a pen against a big club at home. If that tackle is on Harry Kane it’s a pen all day long.

But when 2 assistants, 3 VAR officials and 6 camera angles still come up with the wrong decision that's hard to take, and shouldn't be taken.

Watford's pen claim was as stonewall as it gets, how can it not be a penalty?

They've ruined the flow, it's gone, and they're not going to get rid of VAR now, so at least ruin the flow with correct decisions.

I agree with your post. I watched MOTD last night, and at the end of it, I couldn't tell you half of the results. Almost every game had something wrong in it with bad decisions. The Watford tackle was the stand out one as you mention, the other player who tripped over was in another, and the one of them, the screen saying no goal, when the ref was signalling goal. (and there was a late offside one too) - it was a shambles.

-

I saw another post after, mentioning that we'll moan at one thing or another, but this really is simply BIZARRE! And I don't think it makes 'tv viewing' any better as is commonly mentioned with this thing. I think it makes games unwatchable.

Why don’t the refs in the premier league go and check the pitchside screen?
There was a game earlier in Holland and the ref went over to pitchside to check the incident on the screen.
I think I’m right that VAR has not,up to now,awarded a penalty in the attackers favour this season even tho the Watford appeal which was turned down yesterday was definitely a pen.
The VAR gave a goal at Spurs but the screen said ‘no goal’ 🙄it’s ridiculous 😡

Last month after the Ward-Prowse handball stringer disagreed with me when I said that VAR in PL matches werent giving penalties whilst VAR in CL matches were giving penalties! Think the PL should do the same as the CL by making the ref check the pitch monitor.
No, I disagreed with you when you said VAR COULDN’T give penalties in the Premier League. Because that’s absolute nonsense

No, I disagreed with you when you said VAR COULDN’T give penalties in the Premier League. Because that’s absolute nonsense
It is true so far this season. Gary Lineker has said that VAR could have given 20 penalties. You still havent got evidence to back this up.

The game has got to remain as spontaneous and real-time as possible. VAR literally is killing the game for supporters attending the games. We don't know whether to celebrate, wait for VAR, or whatever. It is ridiculous - I hate it.

For me there is quite a simple solution. We have to accept small human error as part of the game, but also allow technology to make things better.

The linesman should be given a foot either side before VAR is involved. I could accept that has human error. I don't want to celebrate like crazy then see a goal chalked off because somebody is literally millimeters offside.... the case with Sterling and Man City right at the start of the season - his fingers were offside - fookin ridiculous.

Any more than a foot and the linesman has made a massive booboo - I could then accept VAR changing a decision.

For the rest of the play I would put another line about 35 yards out - ie the reasonable limit for scoring from a direct freekick. The referee should be left to officiate (with occasional human errors) while the play is outside of the 35 yards. As soon as the play is inside he should not blow his whistle for anything and listen to VAR in his earpiece. Play should flow at all times - even if there is an obvious pen until the ref has given a decision (via VAR).

It is true so far this season. Gary Lineker has said that VAR could have given 20 penalties. You still havent got evidence to back this up.

VAR can't "give" penalties in the PL. They can make a recommendation but the final decision lies with the match referee.

Just the word of Neil Swarbrick, the guy in charge of implementing VAR. I’m confident he knows more on it, to be honest

If a VAR tells a ref it’s a penalty, he’ll take their word.

That's just your opinion. The statement below is quite clear. As Silent Blade said, VAR can't "give" a penalty.

If the evidence provided to the VAR by the broadcast footage does not accord with what the referee believes he has seen, then the VAR can recommend an overturn.

The final decision will remain with the on-field referee.

So far it hasnt happened, do you think it will eventually happen between now and end of the season?

Swarbrick

"We have operated like this for the last two and a half years. If VAR advises on a decision, the referees should be quite comfortable taking on board what the VAR is saying and making the decision based on that advice.

If it is completely out of kilter with what the referee is saying, then he’s still within his rights to go over to the RRA. Hopefully that’ll decrease the time taken and chances of the game being held up"

VAR is exposing referees for what they are and what they are not.

They are not guardians of the rules of the game, they are not brave, they are not honest, they are not capable of doing the job right.

VAR gives them the opportunity to make the game fair and just.

They are frauds toying with the rules as though the rules were shades of grey. The rules are 'clear and obvious' and 5 camera shots make it entirely possible to see Rojo's foul, Alli's handball, the Delafeaou penalty, the Evans accidental trip and others, all in one weekend.

The referees are fraudulently picking and choosing when and when not to adopt the rules. They are ratifying their colleagues' errors just for 'face'.

The prime example is their decision not to enforce the penalty rule where the keeper has to stand on the goal-line. It's a rule and not one that should be ignored. Change the rule by all means but referees should not pick and choose the laws. The FIFA rule has been amended to 'one foot on the line', fair enough but VAR not to be consulted - how can that be?

Back
Top Bottom