Unitedites not from Sheffield

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Maybe to you it has...:oops: ask a stranger to see if they can still hear the accent?

I left Sheffield in the 90's to move to London then Essex, where I was quite rightly called a northern monkey due to my accent
I moved back to Sheffield some years later & must've picked up a few southern words as often got called a southern poofter
I then moved to Italy where I was called lo straniero (the foreigner)
I then moved to Australia where I was (& often still am) called a pom.

I met some other poms in India on holiday last year who didn't realise that I was English. They thought I was Australian until I mentioned catching a 'bus' (the Sheffield accent must've come out then).

I've realised accents evolve over time if you live other places for a long time...mine is now such a mess I don't really fit in anywhere :(

I'm fully Sheffield now, people who don't know where I'm from assume I'm local. Came up here as a nipper via a year in King's Lynn. Over the years any remnants of Essex pronunciation got picked up on by my peers and the piss was taken until all were gone.

My mum has been here the same amount of time as me though and still has the Essex/London accent (from Chingford).

Balham Jnr was born in Kingston meaning the nearest ground was AFC Wimbledon's. The nearest ground to our house is Brentford's (excluding Twickenham and the Stoop). He will still be a Blade if I have anything to do with it and I'll disown him if he even considers supporting Chelsea.
Hi Balham, I was actually born in Balham and wanted to be Balham Blade but you beat me to it. I have to say that I have a soft spot for Chelsea because of where I was born but having lived in Sheffield since I was three it had to be The Blades due to my grandfather, who being from Aberdeen himself was naturally a Blade.

Supports utd? Surely there can't be that many blades around? Unless you're referring to the copycat Lancs and Yorks railway company Newton Heath? I wish we'd trademarked "United" when we formed. The club would be rolling in cash if all the others had to pay us royalties..

I believe my exiled father is referring to the satellite villages around dingle-land. Certainly where he lives is as far from the stereotype of Barnsley as its possible to get!

Which is one reason Citeh fans refer to them as Munichs but I've been rounded admonished for using that terminology by the snowflakes around these parts...

Not born in Sheffield, lived there for 2 out of 36 years, always preferred Wednesday.

My cousin is from Windsor, and he's hooked on the Blades, he used to follow Windsor and Eton home and away before their owners became crooks (and the club eventually folded.

My uncle Paul ran London Blades group and now runs the Facebook group Exiled Blades. He's introduced me to many Blades from afar.

One family travel from near Tenby to come to BL regularly.

Another lad comes up from Southampton, no real reason for him to follow us, but got hooked on us from afar.

Some real die-hards from all around the country!

I have a proper Cockney accent me, apples n pairs and all that guff.

(Actually I have a pretty non-descript :)eek:!) North West London accent to tell you the truth and couldn't even put on a fake Northern accent if I tried!)

Wouldn't be surprised if 90% is about right for home matches but probably more like 80% for away matches darn south when a few fair come out of the woodwork.

I'm originally from sunny Rothrum but been darn sarf for decades and know several darn here who have never lived near Sheff but became hooked after seeing a few away matches in the days when we scored goals and you didn't need loyalty points to see us. Not so easy now.

Guy I got lifts with to lots of games last season never lived in Sheff but lives near Cheltenham, think he did about 25 games so lots of car miles.

Oldham Blade here. Moved to Sheffield to live with an ex who was a blade. Now I don't get to games half as much as I would like to :(

I'm a blade in London, believe it or not. Grew up as a Wimbledon fan (local club), but my mum's always been a Blade, as were/are all her family in Worksop. So when I stopped supporting Wimbledon when the MK move was announced / starting happening, before I could even jump ship to AFCW, I'd be converted to SUFC. First game was that FA Cup semi-final at Old Trafford v Arsenal with my Uncle (RIP). Blade ever since. Go to all near-ish away games, plus a few extras, and try and do around 5/6 home games a year. Probably been to about 12 games this year.

BladeInThatcham, Ollessendro and moDtheGod aren't from Sheffield. They're still Blades.

Quite. Dad's a Blade, not like I had a choice and nor should I have had. Being raised in Barlborough (J30 M1) I'm not exactly far outside the catchment area. I live abroad, if I ever had kids they would also be dragged kicking and screaming into Bladey Bladeness. Where you're born or raised is largely irrelevant I think.

My Filipina missus made her debut at Easter - Brentford away, followed by Cardiff at home. She doesn't have a choice either.

I grew up in Chesterfield area and would say the Blades are easily the second best supported team in the town and surrounding area.
Supported the Blades since 73 and the first time I ever knowingly saw a “Wendy” was at the sty in 79.

The lady who sits next to Bert in the Bramall Lane Corner has a southern accent.
However Bert would estimate that at least 90% of our supporters are Sheffielders.
Thoughts?
There was an article about 15 years ago in one of the football magazines about catchment areas and they'd done a massive survey of all the grounds and which fans lived the nearest to their ground. Liverpool fans on average lived the furthest away, probably because of foreign supporters, and Sheffield United came top with more fans walking to the ground or living within a mile than any other professional club.

Born Leeds, raised Darton, nr Barnsley. Chose Blades aged 12, rest is history. Lived Sheffield for 25 years, now moved to Elsecar.

Spend half the year in France these days. Still manage to get to most home games and the occasional away game.

There was an article about 15 years ago in one of the football magazines about catchment areas and they'd done a massive survey of all the grounds and which fans lived the nearest to their ground. Liverpool fans on average lived the furthest away, probably because of foreign supporters, and Sheffield United came top with more fans walking to the ground or living within a mile than any other professional club.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Leeds fans on average lived furthest away in UK. The fuckers are all over the place polluting everywhere.

What the hell is Greater Barnsley?

:eek:
The land between the M1 and Penistone which is in Barnsley Borough, but not historically of it! Used to be in the old West Riding, like Stocksbridge, Bradfield, Oughtibridge etc which are now in Sheffield but not historically of it.

I'm from Clacton but have been in Sheffield for nigh on four decades, and the Essex accent is long gone.
Clackers! U did well getting out pal! I lived on Old Road for a while in the 90s..my landlord was from Jaywick..what a fckin dump.

Back
Top Bottom