United 0 Lincoln 0 - Lincoln win 3-2 on penalties

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
I am not doing a full report as to be honest there is not much really to report on the game as to be frank almost nothing happened in the game from start to finish in 90 minutes. United did make changes but still had half a first team out with Bogle, Larouci, Norwood, Basham, McBurnie all finishing the game Saturday. Throw in Archer and also Trusty and we really should have had enough to see of a League One side but we never got going. It was slow and predictable. We rarely passed forward and no one other than Norwood took initiative. We looked like we did not have a clear plan how to break down or go through a lower league side and that is a concern, regardless of the changes.

First half not sure I can recall an effort from either side at all? Lincoln had as many ‘attacks’ as us, if you can call them that. Norwood had a shot from the half way line over the bar and they had one effort saved by Davies easily. McBurnie and Archer did not link at all and the midfield did not support or create except for some decent balls from Norwood that were more cross field. Lincoln just dealt with it all rather easily as it was so slow and laboured. Bash came out of defence a few times and actually Larouci, who started as he finishes Sunday with some indecisive moments, got forward well and was one of the main, if not only outlet.

After the break we took off McBurnie and Brooks and put on Marsh and Traore. The youngster had one decent run and pass to Archer whose shot was saved. This was the only chance I can recall of note that the keeper saved? Later, we had one ball across that was cleared away but that was it. That is a bit embarrassing. Norwood kept trying to find players but there was no movement, no one taking the ball on and it looked clueless. Lincoln did very little themselves but were content to just sit back and watch us pass it around and go nowhere. We made more changes and Seriki did well and he got down the side and created a few crossing chances but we never really seriously cut them open and the game just petered out. Egan had one header over but it was hardly much pressure applied at all. Was worrying that our four strikers used, McBurnie, Archer, Traore and Osula did not look a threat at all, save the one Archer chance. Lincoln ended having a few corners but they did not have any chances but deserved to take it to penalties.

The penalties saw Norwood and Osula score quite convincingly but Marsh had a tame effort saved and Traore’s was even worse, straight at the keeper who held the ball. Then the final one, you never thought Egan would score and so it proved as he blasted it over the bar, via the bar. That was it. We were out. We had 72% possession but did nothing with it and I can only recall one shot of note all game. The lack of pattern to our play, regardless of changes and inability to create any tempo or sustained spell in the last third of the Lincoln half was quite startling. It seemed like a friendly almost or worse still, two League One sides slugging it out. Of course, Sunday we did a great job and were organised and resolute but tonight, albeit missing one key attacking player in Hamer, we did not lay a glove on a very average lower league side.

I get people will say we get our main men back Saturday but we should have had enough to win and our opposition Everton get some confidence and goals into new players. If we fail to win Saturday, it could be a long time until our first win looking at the fixtures sadly.

I know you kind of sense you might get a changed side and it maybe does not mean much, but we were the only Premier League team to go out to a lower placed side in the pyramid I believe. We had a chance to at least see some attacking play which we have not seen and an opportunity for chances and some goals. We saw none of this and other than the young lad Seriki, no one took their opportunity at all. Credit Lincoln, they were organised and defended well but they had nothing to defend really and probably could not believe how bad we were.

Ratings:

Davies 6/10 – Nothing really to do other than one routine save. Saved one penalty but had little chance with the other 3 that were scored. Lincoln did not even need to take a 5th.

Bogle 4.5/10 – A few neat touches and runs but not sure he really created anything of note and fell on the floor a lot.

Larouci 5.5/10 – He started slowly and a few heavy touches but then actually was one of our main attacking threats and at least got into some good areas although no end product. Came off on the hour. Seems we may be signing Luke Thomas by all accounts (he was in the Stand tonight) but concern best we can do is a reserve Championship full back as competition?

Trusty 4/10 – He won a few headers but technically I was surprised how it was a struggle on the ball and seemed to not able to move it forward. He also lost a few duels which was supposed to be one of his strengths.

Egan 4/10 – Just kicked it out every time he had it first half, often under no pressure. He missed a good headed chance and then a woeful spot kick at the end. Not had the best start to the season.

Basham 6/10 – Our best defender in that he at least got on the ball and tried to drive forward. Even he regressed and his control/passing was not as good 2nd half.

Norwood 7.5/10 – Only one who wanted the ball and tried to pass it forward. Basically, was our team and midfield all night. Kept looking for movement but did not get any but he did at least try and take initiative. Scored a good penalty too.

Coulibaly 3/10 – Thought he was dreadful all night. Slow, clumsy, and poor first touch. Looked out of energy after 10 minutes and was often on his heels. He wanted an age to do anything and only played the odd simple sideways pass. He does not carry the ball at all and looks sluggish. I am not sure he is up to it from what I have seen over the last year and is one I would move on personally.

Brooks 3/10 – Had a bit of a nightmare. Ball came off him every time and he also lost most of the duels he was involved in. His touch and passing was wretched and came off at half time. Was looking forward to seeing him have a chance but he really struggled and looked a long way off the standard we need, albeit a youngster. Took way too long to make decisions and all seemed a bit much for him.

Archer 5/10 – Really quiet first half and with little service did not really have many touches. He tried to play on the last man but we were so slow getting forward. Him and McBurnie did not really form any kind of partnership, granted only one half. Both kept coming deep for a spell then and it became really congested. Had one chance when through with the keeper but rather telegraphed it. Taken off not long after.

McBurnie 5/10 – Tried to link play a bit but he had little impact too and just came wandering off the front line trying to get on the ball but we just passed it around in midfield. Taken off at half time with an eye on Saturday.

Subs –

Traore 4/10 – Not in it really. Looked weak when faced with challenges with defenders and ran down some blind alleys. He is tricky and works hard but worrying he does not really look like a goal threat and the physicality of games sees him lose tussles easily. The penalty was so obvious which side he was going and an easy save.

Seriki 7/10 – After Norwood, our next best player and two or three enterprising runs and actually got into good areas. Nutmegged his man once and another good interchange too. He did ok and was one of the only positives of a depressing performance.

Marsh 5/10 – Showed a good 5 minutes with one run and pass and at least came off and tried to get the ball on the half turn and had a chance from the Seriki cross but then struggled after this and ran into trouble or gave it away. Took too long to make decisions. His penalty was poor which is disappointing as he has been scoring for fun

Buyabu 5.5/10 – Did ok with a few neat touches down the left and kept it fairly basic. We ended up attacking more down the right the second half.

Osula 4/10 – The game was really scrappy and he saw little of it. One blocked effort apart, not sure he made much of an impact. After McBurnie and Archer went off, Osula and Traore offered even less.

Manager: Heckingbottom 3/10 – Made changes but they did not work and no one really stood out. The lack of tempo and attacking plan/pattern was worrying as even with the changes we should have been able to move it and have players taking responsibility. Other than Norwood and Seriki – no one else tried to even run at players or force Lincoln back.

Lincoln – Well organised, good fan support (sold out) and they defended it well. Carried little attacking threat but did not matter – they got to penalties and won the game.

Referee/Officials – No issues. Barely tackle of note all night. Booked a few of theirs for late tackles and Couilably for us – for being horrible late and slow.

Last edited:

The highlight of the night for me was the first 11 minutes when there were no updates anywhere. After that it went downhill.

Egan needs to sort himself out. As captain of the club he's been playing like a muppet most games. What inspiration is he giving the rest of the squad playing the way he is? The problem is, who is his competition? Robinson with Trusty taking up his role?

I really think United need to get rid of the remains of the Wilder team , completely. Woeful that Norwood is looking the most creative player. Not even a hint of a goal threat from him , all looks desperately worrying so far. These young lads are not anywhere near ready, thought Couibaly and Brooks were dreadful tonight.

I really think United need to get rid of the remains of the Wilder team , completely. Woeful that Norwood is looking the most creative player. Not even a hint of a goal threat from him , all looks desperately worrying so far. These young lads are not anywhere near ready, thought Couibaly and Brooks were dreadful tonight.
Your being very kind calling them dreadful !!

We need to get rid of our best player on the night? Not sure how that would improve us.

Poor game and McCall summed it is by saying we bored the management team with our performance

Should have been an ideal platform for some of these guys to try and stake a claim

Archer looked really quick but we barely gave him a touch - feels like it could be a long long season for us (and him) if we don’t find some creativity.

I was more impressed with Marsh that the above. Though he looks like the only one the take a ball and try and do something with it. Started excellently but then did start to give it away abit more. Looks like a poor man’s brooks but I’d like to see what he can do if we keep him around - especially if we arnt adding any flair.

Brooks was really hesitant I though and possibly our weakest link.

Coulibally wasn’t much better - which was a shame as I’ve liked the snippets we’ve seen in the cups previously.

I also thought trusty did a decent enough job on debut defensively. Based on his attacking play we aren’t going to see him at left back any time soon. Though he did absolutely fine though at the back.

Also - is slimani dead? On bench but no sign of him again.

I thought Buyabu looked very pacey when he came on down the left. No idea if he can defend, but certainly might cause some problems going forwards.

Thank you Lincoln for putting us out of our misery. A dogshit competition and hope you win it.
I’m already a bit depressed by this season.
The promotion feel good vibe has almost completely disappeared.

Same as we saw it essentially. Norwood v 11 of Lincoln - anyone slagging him off doesn't understand how football works.

Thought Trusty did ok but highlighted why we could never play him at wing back like some have been clamouring as he is technically quite limited.

Felt Egan was really clumsy all night and I lost count of the number of times he punted it out of play. Coulibaly was really awful - I'm with you that I'd try and move him on, even if it's on loan to free up a squad place. Brooks tried to make things happen but struggled a bit though he did keep showing for it to his credit. Seriki was decent when he came on.

The rest were simply going through the motions and I felt robbed of my £15. I won't bother next year. Be nice if one year we looked like we wanted to give it a go rather than limping out.

The first half was as poor as we have been for some time. Irrespective of personnel the languid pedestrian football was indicative of the formation we started with. What is does show is that the flat 3 will bring us no joy at Home this season if we persevere with it.

That midfield 3 did well against Spurs in the cup but the aim was to drop deep frustrate and hope we nick one. We duly did when Ndiaye came off the bench. Unfortunately Lincoln had come with the same game plan and the number of backwards and sideways passes was incredibly frustrating as Norwood dropped deeper and deeper to ping out his holly wood balls. At least he was hitting them forward.

Second half change of formation with a 10, Marsh, meant we at least got up the pitch and caused them some problems but the lack of creative 10's was evident for all to see.

Pluses we got some game time into players legs Trusty and Mcb especially. Young Sereki and Buyabu look everything I want from a wing back, big physical and pacy all the attributes needed in the EPL. They look good future prospects and need to go out on loan to league 1 as do the likes of Marsh. Minuses, formation apart first half, the back up boys failed to deliver against lower league opposition intent on frustrating. With our level of injuries it doesn't bode well for the future. Penalties it beggars belief how professional footballers seem incapable of striking a ball with power and placement from a few yards out. Thankfully there isn't a play off competition that involves penalties for staying up in the EPL.

Saturday is a relegation six pointer. If we start with a flat 3 we'll get overpowered in midfield by Evertons 4-5-1 formation. 3-4-2-1 has to be the right approach. Yet we have little to fill the 10 role. The next 24 hours will determine our season. Fail to get at least 1 10 in like Mcatee and we will flounder imo as we have to change the way we play to the cumbersome 3-5-2. Get Mcatee and hopefully another 10 in and we have a chance of at least playing football that gets us up the pitch quicker.

I am not doing a full report as to be honest there is not much really to report on the game as to be frank almost nothing happened in the game from start to finish in 90 minutes. United did make changes but still had half a first team out with Bogle, Larouci, Norwood, Basham, McBurnie all finishing the game Saturday. Throw in Archer and also Trusty and we really should have had enough to see of a League One side but we never got going. It was slow and predictable. We rarely passed forward and no one other than Norwood took initiative. We looked like we did not have a clear plan how to break down or go through a lower league side and that is a concern, regardless of the changes.

First half not sure I can recall an effort from either side at all? Lincoln had as many ‘attacks’ as us, if you can call them that. Norwood had a shot from the half way line over the bar and they had one effort saved by Davies easily. McBurnie and Archer did not link at all and the midfield did not support or create except for some decent balls from Norwood that were more cross field. Lincoln just dealt with it all rather easily as it was so slow and laboured. Bash came out of defence a few times and actually Larouci, who started as he finishes Sunday with some indecisive moments, got forward well and was one of the main, if not only outlet.

After the break we took off McBurnie and Brooks and put on Marsh and Traore. The youngster had one decent run and pass to Archer whose shot was saved. This was the only chance I can recall of note that the keeper saved? Later, we had one ball across that was cleared away but that was it. That is a bit embarrassing. Norwood kept trying to find players but there was no movement, no one taking the ball on and it looked clueless. Lincoln did very little themselves but were content to just sit back and watch us pass it around and go nowhere. We made more changes and Seriki did well and he got down the side and created a few crossing chances but we never really seriously cut them open and the game just petered out. Egan had one header over but it was hardly much pressure applied at all. Was worrying that our four strikers used, McBurnie, Archer, Traore and Osula did not look a threat at all, save the one Archer chance. Lincoln ended having a few corners but they did not have any chances but deserved to take it to penalties.

The penalties saw Norwood and Osula score quite convincingly but Marsh had a tame effort saved and Traore’s was even worse, straight at the keeper who held the ball. Then the final one, you never thought Egan would score and so it proved as he blasted it over the bar, via the bar. That was it. We were out. We had 72% possession but did nothing with it and I can only recall one shot of note all game. The lack of pattern to our play, regardless of changes and inability to create any tempo or sustained spell in the last third of the Lincoln half was quite startling. It seemed like a friendly almost or worse still, two League One sides slugging it out. Of course, Sunday we did a great job and were organised and resolute but tonight, albeit missing one key attacking player in Hamer, we did not lay a glove on a very average lower league side.

I get people will say we get our main men back Saturday but we should have had enough to win and our opposition Everton get some confidence and goals into new players. If we fail to win Saturday, it could be a long time until our first win looking at the fixtures sadly.

I know you kind of sense you might get a changed side and it maybe does not mean much, but we were the only Premier League team to go out to a lower placed side in the pyramid I believe. We had a chance to at least see some attacking play which we have not seen and an opportunity for chances and some goals. We saw none of this and other than the young lad Seriki, no one took their opportunity at all. Credit Lincoln, they were organised and defended well but they had nothing to defend really and probably could not believe how bad we were.

Ratings:

Davies 6/10 – Nothing really to do other than one routine save. Saved one penalty but had little chance with the other 3 that were scored. Lincoln did not even need to take a 5th.

Bogle 4.5/10 – A few neat touches and runs but not sure he really created anything of note and fell on the floor a lot.

Larouci 5.5/10 – He started slowly and a few heavy touches but then actually was one of our main attacking threats and at least got into some good areas although no end product. Came off on the hour. Seems we may be signing Luke Thomas by all accounts (he was in the Stand tonight) but concern best we can do is a reserve Championship full back as competition?

Trusty 4/10 – He won a few headers but technically I was surprised how it was a struggle on the ball and seemed to not able to move it forward. He also lost a few duels which was supposed to be one of his strengths.

Egan 4/10 – Just kicked it out every time he had it first half, often under no pressure. He missed a good headed chance and then a woeful spot kick at the end. Not had the best start to the season.

Basham 6/10 – Our best defender in that he at least got on the ball and tried to drive forward. Even he regressed and his control/passing was not as good 2nd half.

Norwood 7.5/10 – Only one who wanted the ball and tried to pass it forward. Basically, was our team and midfield all night. Kept looking for movement but did not get any but he did at least try and take initiative. Scored a good penalty too.

Coulibaly 3/10 – Thought he was dreadful all night. Slow, clumsy, and poor first touch. Looked out of energy after 10 minutes and was often on his heels. He wanted an age to do anything and only played the odd simple sideways pass. He does not carry the ball at all and looks sluggish. I am not sure he is up to it from what I have seen over the last year and is one I would move on personally.

Brooks 3/10 – Had a bit of a nightmare. Ball came off him every time and he also lost most of the duels he was involved in. His touch and passing was wretched and came off at half time. Was looking forward to seeing him have a chance but he really struggled and looked a long way off the standard we need, albeit a youngster. Took way too long to make decisions and all seemed a bit much for him.

Archer 5/10 – Really quiet first half and with little service did not really have many touches. He tried to play on the last man but we were so slow getting forward. Him and McBurnie did not really form any kind of partnership, granted only one half. Both kept coming deep for a spell then and it became really congested. Had one chance when through with the keeper but rather telegraphed it. Taken off not long after.

McBurnie 5/10 – Tried to link play a bit but he had little impact too and just came wandering off the front line trying to get on the ball but we just passed it around in midfield. Taken off at half time with an eye on Saturday.

Subs –

Traore 4/10 – Not in it really. Looked weak when faced with challenges with defenders and ran down some blind alleys. He is tricky and works hard but worrying he does not really look like a goal threat and the physicality of games sees him lose tussles easily. The penalty was so obvious which side he was going and an easy save.

Seriki 7/10 – After Norwood, our next best player and two or three enterprising runs and actually got into good areas. Nutmegged his man once and another good interchange too. He did ok and was one of the only positives of a depressing performance.

Marsh 5/10 – Showed a good 5 minutes with one run and pass and at least came off and tried to get the ball on the half turn and had a chance from the Seriki cross but then struggled after this and ran into trouble or gave it away. Took too long to make decisions. His penalty was poor which is disappointing as he has been scoring for fun

Buyabu 5.5/10 – Did ok with a few neat touches down the left and kept it fairly basic. We ended up attacking more down the right the second half.

Osula 4/10 – The game was really scrappy and he saw little of it. One blocked effort apart, not sure he made much of an impact. After McBurnie and Archer went off, Osula and Traore offered even less.

Manager: Heckingbottom 3/10 – Made changes but they did not work and no one really stood out. The lack of tempo and attacking plan/pattern was worrying as even with the changes we should have been able to move it and have players taking responsibility. Other than Norwood and Seriki – no one else tried to even run at players or force Lincoln back.

Lincoln – Well organised, good fan support (sold out) and they defended it well. Carried little attacking threat but did not matter – they got to penalties and won the game.

Referee/Officials – No issues. Barely tackle of note all night. Booked a few of theirs for late tackles and Couilably for us – for being horrible late and slow.

Just a question really, does anyone think some of these younger players might be in the "last chance saloon" and might be released at the end of the season, one or two are over the age of twenty and should be showing the manager what they are about,
Not knocking anybody just asking

The first half was as poor as we have been for some time. Irrespective of personnel the languid pedestrian football was indicative of the formation we started with. What is does show is that the flat 3 will bring us no joy at Home this season if we persevere with it.

That midfield 3 did well against Spurs in the cup but the aim was to drop deep frustrate and hope we nick one. We duly did when Ndiaye came off the bench. Unfortunately Lincoln had come with the same game plan and the number of backwards and sideways passes was incredibly frustrating as Norwood dropped deeper and deeper to ping out his holly wood balls. At least he was hitting them forward.

Second half change of formation with a 10, Marsh, meant we at least got up the pitch and caused them some problems but the lack of creative 10's was evident for all to see.

Pluses we got some game time into players legs Trusty and Mcb especially. Young Sereki and Buyabu look everything I want from a wing back, big physical and pacy all the attributes needed in the EPL. They look good future prospects and need to go out on loan to league 1 as do the likes of Marsh. Minuses, formation apart first half, the back up boys failed to deliver against lower league opposition intent on frustrating. With our level of injuries it doesn't bode well for the future. Penalties it beggars belief how professional footballers seem incapable of striking a ball with power and placement from a few yards out. Thankfully there isn't a play off competition that involves penalties for staying up in the EPL.

Saturday is a relegation six pointer. If we start with a flat 3 we'll get overpowered in midfield by Evertons 4-5-1 formation. 3-4-2-1 has to be the right approach. Yet we have little to fill the 10 role. The next 24 hours will determine our season. Fail to get at least 1 10 in like Mcatee and we will flounder imo as we have to change the way we play to the cumbersome 3-5-2. Get Mcatee and hopefully another 10 in and we have a chance of at least playing football that gets us up the pitch quicker.
Decent analysis as usual, would add that the 2 lads that started in midfield alongside Norwood were woefully short of pace, composure & an inability to set up any attacking openings for Archer & McB.

Can’t see either of them progressing given their respective performances against last night’s opponents.

Saturday now looks huge.

Just a question really, does anyone think some of these younger players might be in the "last chance saloon" and might be released at the end of the season, one or two are over the age of twenty and should be showing the manager what they are about,
Not knocking anybody just asking

In terms of last night Seriki did well but after an unsuccessful loan at Rochdale, I'd be surprised if he is involved much and expect him to depart at the end of the season.

Buyabu probably needs a loan spell in league football. Ditto for Sachdev.

I think we like Brooks but he was shocking last night. Needs some proper league football as u21s lacks that tempo.

Interesting lots of clubs like Marsh. If Ipswich have bid for him, then I'd think they'd take him on loan at least but one we havevto tie down? Had the style of a David Brooks type player watching him last night. Obviously nowhere near that level.

I think they are a few like Amissah, Gomis, Hackford, Neal, Maguire that know that if they want another deal here have to really show something either here, or on loan elsewhere.

A
Same as we saw it essentially. Norwood v 11 of Lincoln - anyone slagging him off doesn't understand how football works.

Thought Trusty did ok but highlighted why we could never play him at wing back like some have been clamouring as he is technically quite limited.

Felt Egan was really clumsy all night and I lost count of the number of times he punted it out of play. Coulibaly was really awful - I'm with you that I'd try and move him on, even if it's on loan to free up a squad place. Brooks tried to make things happen but struggled a bit though he did keep showing for it to his credit. Seriki was decent when he came on.

The rest were simply going through the motions and I felt robbed of my £15. I won't bother next year. Be nice if one year we looked like we wanted to give it a go rather than limping out.
A question regarding Norwood. How come he's so poor in goals and goal threat?

Back
Top Bottom