United 0 Arsenal 6 - No match report

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Asaba called it right “a total mismatch in which we were unable to compete in every aspect of the game”

Carragher called it right “the singular worst performance by a premier league team he’d ever seen”

Deadbat you’ve called it right all season.

Over to you Princey boy, what’s your take?

We are 11 blokes in Utd shirts

The owner is fully to blame

The club and everyone in it is shell shocked and demoralised. All created by the owner

He has hired the managers , he has provided the infrastructure, he has made us into a laughing stock

He has perfectly designed this mess

We are a shambles and the squad is clearly not good enough but there were some glaring tactical errors yesterday that could have seen us lose by double figures if Arsenal didn't ease off second half.

Playing McBurnie up front meant there was no outball at all and no relief from the pressure. He doesn't run the channels, he doesn't chase and harry.

Playing Norwood and Davies in midfield meant we had no running or chasing power in midfield. Norwood's legs have gone and Davies is not match fit. This was suicide.

Playing Trusty as left back in a back four against Saka with no decent protection down the left in front of him. Doesn't need further explanation, it was just a disaster.

Wilder got some things majorly wrong yesterday.

Sorry cannot bring myself to pour over that again and do a proper report. I have done many of the defeats this season but I am tired, got to be up early for work and I simply cannot bring myself to waste an hour of my time. Apologies but I am beaten!

I will offer a quick summary - don't blame you for not reading!

We have seen this so many times this season where teams just walk through us again and again. We are not set up to properly compete, we do not press, tackle or mark and just roll over. The players are totally out of their depth of course but I am not even sure the effort is there anymore. Arsenal were running through us after 2 minutes and could have been 2 goals up before they even scored. The players look like they do not even want to be on the pitch anymore and are not even going through the motions. Arsenal are a great side, full of skill, pace, dribbling, shooting, the lot but surely United have to try and engage in tackles or try and get close to them?

Wilder's set up was horrific with us sat deep, having no mobility/runners in midfield and Trusty at left back was a disaster waiting to happen. We were 5 down at half time and it could have been double that. The only reason they did not score double figures is they eased up. It was literally like a top flight team against a lower league team. It was really embarrassing and the Lane was half empty again long before the hour mark.

In terms of player ratings, not sure anyone first half barely touched the ball - they are probably all close to 0/10! Particular stand outs in ineptitude were Trusty, Ahmedhodzic and Souza who basically let players just walk past them for a whole half. Yet I am not sure we kept the ball for more than 2 passes. Mind you not sure we touched the ball much at all. We just sat back and watched an albeit good side walk through us to score at will.

I suppose second half we did better in that we did not concede lots more and the young lads least gave us some energy but think it was more down to Arsenal just completely easing off. To see a team running back to the centre circle with the ball at 2 and 3-0 with 15 minutes gone was absolutely humiliating.

As Carragher said, a team from League 1/2 would do better than us if it was a cup tie. We were not even close to doing the basics in a game and I am sorry, but we did completely give up. Again.

The bigger picture is the club is completely rudderless on and off the pitch. Those saying we have a plan then please let me know what it is? We have an owner who is never there, is not really serious about selling us as shown by the people interested and seems to want to have a club and the kudos with it but does not want to properly run it? He neeeds to just get out. Those saying why should he take less money need to realise that in 6 months and 12 months he will literally be struggling to give us away. Maybe noone is interested but Champ clubs (West Brom recently) have attracted new owners.

The managerial change has made no difference. I would not have brought Wilder back. I agree Hecky needed to go but that was due to the mess he was left with the sales and lack of proper investment to allow us to compete - Wilder has just picked up the baton and a squad of players that are completely out of their depth. That is down the man in charge - the owner who has overseen this car crash of a season. There is noone else to blame but him.

The rest of the season, we need to play younger players and people who will be here next season. Not the likes of Brereton Diaz, Archer, McAtee who will not be here. Anyone not signing a new contract, if offered, should not be involved eiher. Those saying if we play Arblaster, Brooks, Osula, we will get hammered - well we are getting hammered now!

It's been a really painful season and I have never seen fans feel so low as this. It's hard to find anything positive at all about the club at the moment. Another really sad night for the club we love but the lack of leadership or plan makes me worried. I am not so confident this damaged group will be able to bounce back and I feel we need major changes from top (chairman) to manager (sadly not sure Wilder is the man to make the changes - seen nothing in how he has got us set up, the motivation of the players, tactics or selections and signings (keeper a disaster and Holgate a ridiculous signing and he has now failed in four consecutive jobs now) to of course the players. We need a real change around to restore the faith but not sure we have anyone in the club to start this culture shift.
Cheers DB. Agree with all of that apart from some of the loan players. I would continue to play Diaz and McAtee for the season, the rest can do one. I agree, get the young uns in that will at least give a fk.

Not wishing to state the bleeding obvious, but not good enough to compete at this level....Worryingly next season in the cut and thrust and in yer'face surrounding of the championship, without new blood and a new direction, its going to be a chastening experience being torn to shreds every other week by the likes of Coventry and those fecking smoggies, budgies and mackems.

I don’t advocate constantly changing the manager so I’d stick with Wilder next season. However he’s got his work cut out to make this team compete again. I don’t think the players signed this season have the mentality for the fight, however Wilder has done it before with us so it depends what he does in the summer and also of course what resources he gets to work with. The concern is how much damage this season has on the players belief. I’d be happy if we could consolidate a reasonable position in the championship for a few seasons and try to regain that fantastic identity we had in 2018/19.

Just supposing, just supposing, we beat Bournemouth and Fulham in our next games, I wonder how the narrative will change 😀

Last night was a shit-show and as everybody has said we need a clear-out, I think it will happen, and hopefully we will come straight back up - for more punishment !

I wonder how we'd react if Wilder admitted that we're not really trying, just tinkering around to see how we might do things next season.

Of course, he can't in any case as we'd get fined and face deductions of more points deductions than an Everton.
He should now be tearing into the players, I don’t want to hear about a ‘fragile dressing room’ again. They need a rocket.

He half did in his post match and suggested that defensively we’re tossing it off.

Just supposing, just supposing, we beat Bournemouth and Fulham in our next games, I wonder how the narrative will change 😀

Last night was a shit-show and as everybody has said we need a clear-out, I think it will happen, and hopefully we will come straight back up - for more punishment !
We won’t though.

The sad thing is last night went to totally as expected. There is no shock or surprise in these kind of results. Hardly any booing at the end as we now just kind of accept it as inevitable as do the players and management. No leaders in the club stepping up and accepting responsibility. Yes teams like Arsenal are on a different level but we don't even try and make it difficult anymore. Only the younger players when brought on looked as if they actually cared. The senior players at the moment are an embarrassment to us the fans and their own profession. Won't be sorry to see any of them go at the end of the season. Get anything we can for the contracted ones and no new offers to those out of contract.

Thanks for this, but disappointing you didn't do a report. If only for the selfish reason that I was going to start a thread to see what the aggregate combined score of the players was. No report so we will never know. 😭😭😭

For the record, I was going to go for 36 in total. Mainly 3's, a 1 for trusty and possibly a 4 for Robocop Robinson.

Manager gets 2. For bringing the young lads on at halftime.

So 38 in total.

Utter dogshit

Hard to be positive DB isn't it after that depressing no show. The same group of players kept Liverpool down to 0-1 until the 90 minute in CW's first game. We looked organised with every player knowing what they had to do and everyone said what a significant improvement that was on PH. In that game we started with Brookes and Osula. Fast forward to tonight and the starting line up contains no youngsters, Norwood who lasts only 15 minutes and another change of formation after a decent defensive display against Wolves. No wonder the players look lost.

The common denominator has to be the manager. He's become a tinkerman and you wonder if the players in the short time CW has been here have now downed tools as they did under PH at the end. That can only explain the ineptitude that we witnessed tonight because if they can do it against Liverpool they should be able to do it against the Arse.

How he came to the conclusion that Trusty up against Saka and Bogle v Martinelli would work in a 4 is baffling. Yet again we have Hamer down the left losing his man and failing to give Trusty any protection at all. Its happened most of the season down that side where Hamer is missing in action. The solution at 0-3 is to bring on little Ben at LWB when last week Larouchi was outpacing a quality player in Neto.

Agree with all your comments about the owner and the lack of direction off the field. Yet there is no excuse for players looking bewildered as to what they are supposed to be doing or the lack of desire that only surfaced when Brooks, Arblaster, Osula and Baldock entered the field. I would have more respect for the manager if he had come out and said its my fault I got the formation wrong don't blame the players unfortunately I don't think its in his gift to admit failure publicly.

There is now a chasm between supporters and players/management in terms of trust. We can accept losing but not in this cowardly and humiliating fashion. Not sure it can be recovered and with that brings the inevitable demands for change. I don't see the owner making one in the short term because as others have said he gave the season up before it started. There is little sign of improvement and if the same level of incompetence on the field is maintained then imo it will do irreparable damage to any prospects of a promotion push next year.

Even now all these months after we were told a thorough independent review of how we were managing injuries was being conducted CW is saying today we are still trying to get to the bottom of whats wrong. That snail pace approach to all things SUFC is the very reason why we are in this mess. It doesn't augur well for the future.

I stayed to the end to watch the youngsters and saw how having a competent defender in Baldock on the pitch made a difference. Unfortunately we don't have 4 George Baldocks at the moment. Onto Bmuff.
Agree 100%.
Baldock, actually a proper defender, made the difference in the 2nd half - which we only lost 1-0, lol.
Imho, disastrous tactics - as especially per the Villa home match, and Brighton.
Players don't know what they're supposed to do.
We're a hybrid back 4 or 5 - and sometimes 10-0 - 0.
You can only play 5-3-2 if you've got fabulous players at halfback, ie left and right centre halves. Sadly both O'conell and Basham are no more - although I'd not rule Basham out given what we have at RCB. Also need a Duffy up front.
After the late loss of Berge and N'diaye we were broken and had to shop what we could get at last minute.
Don't blame Souza or Hamer - they're very good players - but they don't fit our system and the manager has no clue how to get the best out of them. FFS Hamer back having to stop Saka, because we have no LCB or L WB - and some are blaming him, blame the manager!
Souza wins tackles, gets the ball but there is nobody to pass to, and some blame him?

I made myself watch the whole game but am now quite numb to it. It wasn't even our worst performance of the season.
I thought I'd successfully served it with a ticket to the cinema, only to find that out was an early screening and the film finished half an hour before kick off.

Lord only knows why, but watched it to the very end.

There's zero chance we beat Bournemouth and Fulham, there's even less chance we come straight back up.

I'm not sure I have the stomach or aptitude to write one. It might be a very shortened version
It will be short and sweet, similar to the ‘see me’ comments I always got after getting my Maths homework book back.

Ultimately I suppose it’s the owners fault, takes the credit when it’s good invisible when it’s bad. However I don’t think Wilder should be given a pass on blame here.

Wilder and his team are meant to guide the players , motivate them, prepare them and give them the tactical nous to compete.

I know he’s been a good manager and effective but that’s gone now. There’s something about his manner and demeanour I can’t take to.
I know
« he’s one of our own »

I made myself watch the whole game but am now quite numb to it. It wasn't even our worst performance of the season.
Bournemouth at home was worse. It was at that point I realised how shit we were. As you say I’m happily numb to results and have been for weeks, winning at Luton had a similar effect, « big deal »

Bournemouth at home was worse. It was at that point I realised how shit we were. As you say I’m happily numb to results and have been for weeks, winning at Luton had a similar effect, « big deal »
Burnley away for me, but there are so many to choose from.

I don’t advocate constantly changing the manager so I’d stick with Wilder next season. However he’s got his work cut out to make this team compete again. I don’t think the players signed this season have the mentality for the fight, however Wilder has done it before with us so it depends what he does in the summer and also of course what resources he gets to work with. The concern is how much damage this season has on the players belief. I’d be happy if we could consolidate a reasonable position in the championship for a few seasons and try to regain that fantastic identity we had in 2018/19.
That’s the problem though isn’t it? With the parachute payments it gets progressively harder and other clubs are not going to stand on ceremony waiting for us to get our shit together.

We need to find a balance which allows us to bounce back next year simply because we will be one of three, maybe four parachute teams and will still have an advantage over others in terms of wages we can offer.

Bergen Blade sorry if I missed it. Were you doing a run down on the goals conceded? There seemed some rally basic errors in there.

Bergen Blade sorry if I missed it. Were you doing a run down on the goals conceded? There seemed some rally basic errors in there.
Rundown? It would be more like a book...

We were really punished for not getting the organisation right. On the 1st goal the cross is deflected into Ødegaard's path; 2nd is an own goal; the 3rd is also a deflection. So we were a bit unlucky, in addition to being poor.

Back
Top Bottom