United 0 Arsenal 6 - No match report

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
Sorry cannot bring myself to pour over that again and do a proper report. I have done many of the defeats this season but I am tired, got to be up early for work and I simply cannot bring myself to waste an hour of my time. Apologies but I am beaten!

I will offer a quick summary - don't blame you for not reading!

We have seen this so many times this season where teams just walk through us again and again. We are not set up to properly compete, we do not press, tackle or mark and just roll over. The players are totally out of their depth of course but I am not even sure the effort is there anymore. Arsenal were running through us after 2 minutes and could have been 2 goals up before they even scored. The players look like they do not even want to be on the pitch anymore and are not even going through the motions. Arsenal are a great side, full of skill, pace, dribbling, shooting, the lot but surely United have to try and engage in tackles or try and get close to them?

Wilder's set up was horrific with us sat deep, having no mobility/runners in midfield and Trusty at left back was a disaster waiting to happen. We were 5 down at half time and it could have been double that. The only reason they did not score double figures is they eased up. It was literally like a top flight team against a lower league team. It was really embarrassing and the Lane was half empty again long before the hour mark.

In terms of player ratings, not sure anyone first half barely touched the ball - they are probably all close to 0/10! Particular stand outs in ineptitude were Trusty, Ahmedhodzic and Souza who basically let players just walk past them for a whole half. Yet I am not sure we kept the ball for more than 2 passes. Mind you not sure we touched the ball much at all. We just sat back and watched an albeit good side walk through us to score at will.

I suppose second half we did better in that we did not concede lots more and the young lads least gave us some energy but think it was more down to Arsenal just completely easing off. To see a team running back to the centre circle with the ball at 2 and 3-0 with 15 minutes gone was absolutely humiliating.

As Carragher said, a team from League 1/2 would do better than us if it was a cup tie. We were not even close to doing the basics in a game and I am sorry, but we did completely give up. Again.

The bigger picture is the club is completely rudderless on and off the pitch. Those saying we have a plan then please let me know what it is? We have an owner who is never there, is not really serious about selling us as shown by the people interested and seems to want to have a club and the kudos with it but does not want to properly run it? He neeeds to just get out. Those saying why should he take less money need to realise that in 6 months and 12 months he will literally be struggling to give us away. Maybe noone is interested but Champ clubs (West Brom recently) have attracted new owners.

The managerial change has made no difference. I would not have brought Wilder back. I agree Hecky needed to go but that was due to the mess he was left with the sales and lack of proper investment to allow us to compete - Wilder has just picked up the baton and a squad of players that are completely out of their depth. That is down the man in charge - the owner who has overseen this car crash of a season. There is noone else to blame but him.

The rest of the season, we need to play younger players and people who will be here next season. Not the likes of Brereton Diaz, Archer, McAtee who will not be here. Anyone not signing a new contract, if offered, should not be involved eiher. Those saying if we play Arblaster, Brooks, Osula, we will get hammered - well we are getting hammered now!

It's been a really painful season and I have never seen fans feel so low as this. It's hard to find anything positive at all about the club at the moment. Another really sad night for the club we love but the lack of leadership or plan makes me worried. I am not so confident this damaged group will be able to bounce back and I feel we need major changes from top (chairman) to manager (sadly not sure Wilder is the man to make the changes - seen nothing in how he has got us set up, the motivation of the players, tactics or selections and signings (keeper a disaster and Holgate a ridiculous signing and he has now failed in four consecutive jobs now) to of course the players. We need a real change around to restore the faith but not sure we have anyone in the club to start this culture shift.

Sorry cannot bring myself to pour over that again and do a proper report. I have done many of the defeats this season but I am tired, got to be up early for work and I simply cannot bring myself to waste an hour of my time. Apologies but I am beaten!

We have seen this so many times this season where teams just walk through us again and again. We are not set up to properly compete, we do not press, tackle or mark and just roll over. The players are totally out of their depth of course but I am not even sure the effort is there anymore. Arsenal were running through us after 2 minutes and could have been 2 goals up before they even scored. The players look like they do not even want to be on the pitch anymore and are not even going through the motions. Arsenal are a great side, full of skill, pace, dribbling, shooting, the lot but surely United have to try and engage in tackles or try and get close to them?

Wilder's set up was horrific with us sat deep, having no mobility/runners in midfield and Trusty at left back was a disaster waiting to happen. We were 5 down at half time and it could have been double that. The only reason they did not score double figures is they eased up. It was literally like a top flight team against a lower league team. It was really embarrassing and the Lane was half empty again long before the hour mark.

In terms of player ratings, not sure anyone first half barely touched the ball - they are probably all close to 0/10! Particular stand outs in ineptitude were Trusty, Ahmedhodzic and Souza who basically let players just walk past them for a whole half. Yet I am not sure we kept the ball for more than 2 passes. Mind you not sure we touched the ball much at all. We just sat back and watched an albeit good side walk through us to score at will.

I suppose second half we did better in that we did not concede lots more and the young lads least gave us some energy but think it was more down to Arsenal just completely easing off. To see a team running back to the centre circle with the ball at 2 and 3-0 with 15 minutes gone was absolutely humiliating.

As Carragher said, a team from League 1/2 would do better than us if it was a cup tie. We were not even close to doing the basics in a game and I am sorry, but we did completely give up. Again.

The bigger picture is the club is completely rudderless on and off the pitch. Those saying we have a plan then please let me know what it is? We have an owner who is never there, is not really serious about selling us as shown by the people interested and seems to want to have a club and the kudos with it but does not want to properly run it? He neeeds to just get out. Those saying why should he take less money need to realise that in 6 months and 12 months he will literally be struggling to give us away. Maybe noone is interested but Champ clubs (West Brom recently) have attracted new owners.

The managerial change has made no difference. I would not have brought Wilder back. I agree Hecky needed to go but that was due to the mess he was left with the sales and lack of proper investment to allow us to compete - Wilder has just picked up the baton and a squad of players that are completely out of their depth. That is down the man in charge - the owner who has overseen this car crash of a season. There is noone else to blame but him.

The rest of the season, we need to play younger players and people who will be here next season. Not the likes of Brereton Diaz, Archer, McAtee who will not be here. Anyone not signing a new contract, if offered, should not be involved eiher. Those saying if we play Arblaster, Brooks, Osula, we will get hammered - well we are getting hammered now!

It's been a really painful season and I have never seen fans feel so low as this. It's hard to find anything positive at all about the club at the moment. Another really sad night for the club we love but the lack of leadership or plan makes me worried. I am not so confident this damaged group will be able to bounce back and I feel we need major changes from top (chairman) to manager (sadly not sure Wilder is the man to make the changes - seen nothing in how he has got us set up, the motivation of the players, tactics or selections and signings (keeper a disaster and Holgate a ridiculous signing and he has now failed in four consecutive jobs now) to of course the players. We need a real change around to restore the faith but not sure we have anyone in the club to start this culture shift.
That’s still fairly comprehensive in my book 😂

Cannot blame you in the slightest,I’m surprised you have had the bravado to take your valuable time to write good detailed reports shit show after shit show. It’s a pity that our owner/management/players don’t read your latest condemnation of the club to see where we are heading.

We offer absolutely nothing with these tactics & are so passive we’re none existent
No leaders , aggression , pressing or even fkg tackling and struggle to string two passes together .. we’re completely devoid of of any sort of identity or playing style & have completely lost all the traits that make us remotely competitive.
It’s a total embarrassment from the top to the pitch ..the whole season is nothing short of an embarrassing disaster.. I’m very rarely this harsh but god its beyond dire

Why yawn? Do you think this team competes in Champ? With no loan signings, free agents leaving and players being sold? Do you think a group of untested u23s have a chance? Do you think we'll spend? As said I will take 21st in Champ coz we aint gonna push for top 6 with this shower. Yawn? Really??

It's ok. Nobody really gives a fuck any more 😩

Why yawn? Do you think this team competes in Champ? With no loan signings, free agents leaving and players being sold? Do you think a group of untested u23s have a chance? Do you think we'll spend? As said I will take 21st in Champ coz we aint gonna push for top 6 with this shower. Yawn? Really??
Yes really. Taking away the current lack of confidence, this team is better than 75% of the champ teams. If you watched champ football you would know that.
I get the pessimism, I get the knee jerk reaction, but we are better than 21st in the champ.

Yes really. Taking away the current lack of confidence, this team is better than 75% of the champ teams. If you watched champ football you would know that.
I get the pessimism, I get the knee jerk reaction, but we are better than 21st in the champ.
I said Id take 21st. Wouldnt surprise me if we finished higher. And without significant investment why oh why would we want to go back to PL unless we have money to burn on players who are properly scouted

I said Id take 21st. Wouldnt surprise me if we finished higher. And without significant investment why oh why would we want to go back to PL unless we have money to burn on players who are properly scouted
I wouldn’t want to go back to the Prem without proper investment and infrastructure. Not at all.

a team from League 1/2 would do better than us if it was a cup tie
This.

Whilst I understand that lower league teams competing in one off games is a different prospect to a PL team (in league position only) being asked to repeatedly get up for games that they have little chance in we are really not even trying and if Wilder suggests otherwise he’s either stupid or a liar.

Against a useful wolves team away from home, we kept them down to one shot on target in 90 mins (shame it went in!). With the same players available (save for Brewdog) it is inexplicable why we changed formation and tactics to such a degree the players had no idea where they supposed to be, and left world class players repeatedly ruining at our defenders one on one. I actually felt sorry for Trusty who was simply hung out to dry by a coaching team that seem to have lost their mind! You gain confidence by giving the players a team formation they understand and get used to. Instead of using one our best defensive performances at Wolves as something to build on, we immediately threw the players under a fast moving bus!

I'm sorry I'm going to have to disagree. It wasn't like a lower league team against an EPL team. A team from league 2 the Conference or Conference North, would have looked far more organised. They went 1v0 up after 4 mins and a bit and it should have been 3v0 at the point. To be 4v0 down at home after 25 mins is just a disgrace, no matter what the gulf in class is. That's coming off the back of 3 home games conceding 5.

A lower league team would not look so inept as we did. That team is an absolute disgrace. They have no pride , no desire , no nothing. To continually get absolutely hammered every game is disgusting. 21 goals conceded in the last 4 home games and it could have been a lot more. Teams have taken pity on us and stopped playing at 5.

4 down to Villa after 30 and 4 down after 25 tonight. Lower league teams would struggle to do worse than that.

We are continually breaking records for shitness. It's one thing losing every week like the COVID season. But this ?? We just get battered week in week out. Every week the horror show gets worse and worse.

Against a useful wolves team away from home, we kept them down to one shot on target in 90 mins (shame it went in!). With the same players available (save for Brewdog) it is inexplicable why we changed formation and tactics to such a degree the players had no idea where they supposed to be, and left world class players repeatedly ruining at our defenders one on one. I actually felt sorry for Trusty who was simply hung out to dry by a coaching team that seem to have lost their mind! You gain confidence by giving the players a team formation they understand and get used to. Instead of using one our best defensive performances at Wolves as something to build on, we immediately threw the players under a fast moving bus!
This sums up what was wrong tonight. Larouchi for all his faults last week began to show some pace in defending at LWB. Starting with a back four with Bogle and Trusty as full backs was suicidal against quality wingers in Saka and Martinelli. Unfortunately the manager is guilty of tinkering with the team again and appears to have lost the plot. Agree about Trusty one week he's left back then LWB, then LCB then in the middle of a 3. No wonder he looks all over the place.

Was hoping to see the ratings!

Cheers Deadbat. Don't blame you for not going any further. We left on 75 minutes. It was appalling on every level. If people think Wilder will turn this round next season they are completely bonkers.

But we won't have this team. Most are out of contract and we'll have to sell others. We'll have the bare bones plus whatever we can manage to scrape together (and not knowing who we'll have in charge doing this either).

And no, I'm not being a fanny, it's just where we are.

Fucking hell! wakey, wakey, were on a downward spiral pal!!

Hard to be positive DB isn't it after that depressing no show. The same group of players kept Liverpool down to 0-1 until the 90 minute in CW's first game. We looked organised with every player knowing what they had to do and everyone said what a significant improvement that was on PH. In that game we started with Brookes and Osula. Fast forward to tonight and the starting line up contains no youngsters, Norwood who lasts only 15 minutes and another change of formation after a decent defensive display against Wolves. No wonder the players look lost.

The common denominator has to be the manager. He's become a tinkerman and you wonder if the players in the short time CW has been here have now downed tools as they did under PH at the end. That can only explain the ineptitude that we witnessed tonight because if they can do it against Liverpool they should be able to do it against the Arse.

How he came to the conclusion that Trusty up against Saka and Bogle v Martinelli would work in a 4 is baffling. Yet again we have Hamer down the left losing his man and failing to give Trusty any protection at all. Its happened most of the season down that side where Hamer is missing in action. The solution at 0-3 is to bring on little Ben at LWB when last week Larouchi was outpacing a quality player in Neto.

Agree with all your comments about the owner and the lack of direction off the field. Yet there is no excuse for players looking bewildered as to what they are supposed to be doing or the lack of desire that only surfaced when Brooks, Arblaster, Osula and Baldock entered the field. I would have more respect for the manager if he had come out and said its my fault I got the formation wrong don't blame the players unfortunately I don't think its in his gift to admit failure publicly.

There is now a chasm between supporters and players/management in terms of trust. We can accept losing but not in this cowardly and humiliating fashion. Not sure it can be recovered and with that brings the inevitable demands for change. I don't see the owner making one in the short term because as others have said he gave the season up before it started. There is little sign of improvement and if the same level of incompetence on the field is maintained then imo it will do irreparable damage to any prospects of a promotion push next year.

Even now all these months after we were told a thorough independent review of how we were managing injuries was being conducted CW is saying today we are still trying to get to the bottom of whats wrong. That snail pace approach to all things SUFC is the very reason why we are in this mess. It doesn't augur well for the future.

I stayed to the end to watch the youngsters and saw how having a competent defender in Baldock on the pitch made a difference. Unfortunately we don't have 4 George Baldocks at the moment. Onto Bmuff.

This.

Whilst I understand that lower league teams competing in one off games is a different prospect to a PL team (in league position only) being asked to repeatedly get up for games that they have little chance in we are really not even trying and if Wilder suggests otherwise he’s either stupid or a liar.
I wonder how we'd react if Wilder admitted that we're not really trying, just tinkering around to see how we might do things next season.

Of course, he can't in any case as we'd get fined and face deductions of more points deductions than an Everton.

We've put in some decent performances this season, the latest being a week ago. But we've also been on the receiving end of more big losses than I can remember in 45 seasons of watching the Blades.

8-0 Newcastle home, 5-0 Arsenal and Burnley away, 5-2 and 5-0 (FAC) Brighton home, 5-0 Villa home and now 6-0 Arsenal home.

Fair enough Arsenal are a team in form going for the CL and PL titles. But they aren't steamrolling other teams every week, they are usully winning by the odd goal.

We've changed the manager and it hasn't helped. Injuries have decimated our season, and we had the weakest or 2nd-weakest squad when all were fully fit. Hard to say why we've shipped so many goals and been totally uncompetitive in six of our games.

All we can do now is plan for next season. We will need a major rebuild but we won't be skint with parachute payments and players leaving / out of contract.

Looking forward to the season ending now and a fresh start in August.

Back
Top Bottom