U23s v Charlton U23s today at 7pm

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Filming into the sun - hard to tell which team is which. Charlton in grey with black shorts against our mostly white (from the back anyway) shirts.

Great to see them win again. Hope we get to see some of this in the first team one day.

I admit I'm only going by reports, but looking at that team, there's quality throughout that squad. Let's hope we can keep them all on track and believe we have a bright future with some of these players.

It's so important to get the new manager in and established ASAP so he can identify the individual performances of each of the U23 squad. I know the usual route of development is by next going out on loan and that would have been the case had we remained in the Premier, but as we are a Championship club now I'm sure a few of the youngsters could be knocking on the door for the first team squad. We need the manager now to sort this out pronto before the vultures swoop.

Quick question for those that might know:

How responsible for this lot is Paul Hecky?
If he's considered to have "failed" at first team level will we just put him back or throw him out with the bath water?
He doesn’t seem to have much faith in them if he is responsible. It beggars belief that none of these players has been given a chance in our first team. First Wilder, now Hecky. It’s not as if the senior players have been doing especially well is it.

Quick question for those that might know:

How responsible for this lot is Paul Hecky?
If he's considered to have "failed" at first team level will we just put him back or throw him out with the bath water?
I'm not quite sure how to answer your question. Following the sacking of Travis Binnion & John Dungworth, Jack Lester took over the head role at the Academy. Andrew Hughes took on the U23 job on 21 August 2019. But Andrew lasted less than a year & Paul Heckingbottom was appointed to head the U23s on 27 July 2020. (And we know he was handed the bag of cones Wilder was using in March 2020). So, Heckingbottom will have been working full on full time, responsible for the U23s from July 2020 to March. Is that what you're after?
I always emphasise that Academy players are footballers, good at playing football. It's not the rigid shit that first team football is - you can stand in this bit here & kick it into the next bit. Heckingbottom won't have recruited any/many of the U23 cohort. But, he will have been influential in the mood & spirit & attitude of the team in the main part of this season. Unless the new fella wants wholesale changes on Day One, there's no reason why Lester, Heckingbottom & Geary don't stay in the main roles.

With the U23s well placed in their league to qualify for the National Play Offs, I thought I'd look in the archives as to who played in the National Final the last time we got to one (we lost of course & finished runners up to Huddersfield Town)

Screenshot_20210423-134713_Chrome.jpg

Back
Top Bottom