Incoming? Troy Deeney

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

From what I have seen the Prince wants to buy players with sell on potential. That’s what he is doing in our club and I guess he will go for a younger striker like Brewster or Dennis who he can sell in 2, 3 years for double or tripple price. That’s the way to grow as a club. Buy reasonable and sell high.

Business plan Brentford PLC but a PL version with a fantastic manager! Lets hope the Prince doesn't manage attract stupid amounts of investment to ultimately ruin the plan!

From what I have seen the Prince wants to buy players with sell on potential. That’s what he is doing in our club and I guess he will go for a younger striker like Brewster or Dennis who he can sell in 2, 3 years for double or tripple price. That’s the way to grow as a club. Buy reasonable and sell high.
By his own admission he’s addicted to FIFA, he’s probably blurred the lines between fantasy and reality just like we do ont rumour mill.

Mourinho really is a busted flush isn't he? The longer he's at Spurs, the further they'll regress.

With the resources available to him at Spurs, I can't think why on earth he'd think Deeney would be the best option to their striker problems. I can't think of another side in the top 15 of the Prem that would have him. I was amazed some on here think he'd be a good fit for Utd - I'm struggling to think of many worse fits tbh

Last edited:
By his own admission he’s addicted to FIFA, he’s probably blurred the lines between fantasy and reality just like we do ont rumour mill.

Someone should tell him to play Football Manager instead.

But in all seriousness are we still a selling club then?

Comments on here remind me of when we signed McGoldrick.

People writing him off based on his age and a difficult season but our three most prolific strikers during the Wilder era have all been 30+ and “past it”.

To me the much bigger risk would be throwing £20m at someone totally unproven in the PL (see Solanke, Joelinton, Wesley, etc for how that can pan out).

Someone should tell him to play Football Manager instead.

But in all seriousness are we still a selling club then?

Probably, not to the stupid extremes we were under McCabe, wherein we sell a player based on one season for 700K to another club to cover short term issues. But, if you look at Berge for example, and he performs well for this season & next and someone like Spurs or Liverpool offer silly money, then we've made a 20/30/40 million pound profit on a player. Southampton do it well, so do Leicester and even to an extent Spurs, it's a model to be sustainable and also improve. Personally, I think it's boring for the fans eventually as you get stuck in a mid-table rut season after season, but Football is a business.

I don’t really want him but when I think of the long balls we had to play last season to Didsy and McB, I do think we’d get more joy from them if they were being aimed at Deeney.
I personally don't agree with that. I remember far more times of our strikers having to chase aimless long balls than it bouncing off them.
I’d rather us not play long aimless balls full stop, we looked fucking terrible when we played like that. Get the bag of air on the deck and play the football that got us into this great position.

It won't be Deeney.

I'd be utterly astonished if we were interested.

I’d rather us not play long aimless balls full stop, we looked fucking terrible when we played like that. Get the bag of air on the deck and play the football that got us into this great position.
That’s fine but when we’re being high pressed we go long because we’re not good enough to always play out from the back. Few teams are, which is why you see teams getting caught out trying to play out and losing possession. Wilder won’t get caught up in the ‘let’s pretend I’m Pep and this is Barcelona’ shit. It’s been the pattern in every game I’ve watched in the PL (which is most of them) when a team has put the high press on, we go long until they drop off, then we start passing it.

That’s fine but when we’re being high pressed we go long because we’re not good enough to always play out from the back. Few teams are, which is why you see teams getting caught out trying to play out and losing possession. Wilder won’t get caught up in the ‘let’s pretend I’m Pep and this is Barcelona’ shit. It’s been the pattern in every game I’ve watched in the PL (which is most of them) when a team has put the high press on, we go long until they drop off, then we start passing it.
I agree with that but we were doing it way too much in the second half of the season when under no pressure at all at times, I do know we have to mix it up but we shouldn’t rely on the long ball because as I’ve said, we play shit when doing so, and not only that, it’s awful to watch.

A good point. We were far more inclined to play it on the deck earlier in the season, and we always look better doing it. We did fall into the routine of drilling it up (and completely bypassing the midfield) when we didnt need to later in the mid/ later season.

Those long balls into the channel for mousset (thinking man u at home) were a dream though.

A good point. We were far more inclined to play it on the deck earlier in the season, and we always look better doing it. We did fall into the routine of drilling it up (and completely bypassing the midfield) when we didnt need to later in the mid/ later season.

Those long balls into the channel for mousset (thinking man u at home) were a dream though.
There’s a time and a place, as I alluded too further up though, we shouldn’t rely on something you aren’t very good at.

This is it really.

It's lovely to have a footballing philosophy, and we all like to see nice football, but winning games is the main objective.

I think back to the league 1 days under Weir, where the keeper was clearly instructed to play goal kicks short, no matter the circumstance. Naturally, teams figured this out instantly, and knowing we didn't have defenders who could operate under pressure, they pressed us and forced errors practically everytime we had a goal kick. Being married to a certain style can make you predictable and easy to play against.

The best football of my United watching career has been under Wilder (with a quick nod to Danny Wilson in 11-12) - however, Wilder is pragmatic: if he thinks we will be better served going long, that's what we'll do and rightly so.

Back
Top Bottom