Training facilities

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

There's a lot of conflating of Academy Facilities with First Team Training Facilities on this thread.

The recently installed Desso pitch at Shirecliffe does not improve our Academy Facilities. As the Academy teams don't use it.

It might be enlightening to compare injury rates of academy players who are not using the desso pitches, with those in the first team squad who only play on these desso pitches..
Could these partly artificial pitches be part of the injury crisis problem?

It might be enlightening to compare injury rates of academy players who are not using the desso pitches, with those in the first team squad who only play on these desso pitches..
Could these partly artificial pitches be part of the injury crisis problem?
We complained of injuries when they played on spongy pitches,the fibres in desso are in there to bind the roots

Last edited:
15 PL teams have Cat 1 Academies

The exceptions are;
Sheffield United
Burnley
Bournemouth
Brentford (Cat 3)
Luton (Cat 3)

The 11 non PL teams with Cat 1 Academies are;
Middlesbrough
Reading
Sunderland
Norwich
Leeds
Southampton
Leicester
West Bromwich Albion
Blackburn
Stoke
Derby

The first team was also playing matches at BDTBL and at other grounds on desso pitches though..
I'm wondering if the grass is so tightly anchored that it puts more strain on soft tissues as the ground doesn't "give" at all.. hence exceptional injury attrition rates.

15 PL teams have Cat 1 Academies

The exceptions are;
Sheffield United
Burnley
Bournemouth
Brentford (Cat 3)
Luton (Cat 3)

The 11 non PL teams with Cat 1 Academies are;
Middlesbrough
Reading
Sunderland
Norwich
Leeds
Southampton
Leicester
West Bromwich Albion
Blackburn
Stoke
Derby
Is it just coincidence that the 5 PL clubs without Cat 1 are all at the bottom of the league ?

The first team was also playing matches at BDTBL and at other grounds on desso pitches though..
I'm wondering if the grass is so tightly anchored that it puts more strain on soft tissues as the ground doesn't "give" at all.. hence exceptional injury attrition rates.
It's the best surface there is .the pitches aren't the problem

It's the best surface there is .the pitches aren't the problem

I can agree it's best for passing and controlling the ball, as it's so flat and runs true, but that doesn't necessarily make it best for players avoiding injuries in my opinion.
I'm just saying it'd be worth a desktop study to see if players regularly playing on desso pitches are injured at similar rates to those only on grass.
Our injury list is incomprehensible and I'm reading on threads on here that we are not alone with the problem.

Is it just coincidence that the 5 PL clubs without Cat 1 are all at the bottom of the league ?

Brentford for one didn't even go for an academy setup until the PL mandated it, so it's understandable if they want to half arse it

While we're on the subject of "facilities".

In the absence of any suitable & available stadium we own, Sheffield United Women are playing a home game at Alfreton Town tonight.

Longer term, that needs addressing as well.

I can agree it's best for passing and controlling the ball, as it's so flat and runs true, but that doesn't necessarily make it best for players avoiding injuries in my opinion.
I'm just saying it'd be worth a desktop study to see if players regularly playing on desso pitches are injured at similar rates to those only on grass.
Our injury list is incomprehensible and I'm reading on threads on here that we are not alone with the problem.
Virtually all prem stadiums have the same pitches ,and the most athletic players ,is there more injuries pro rata to league 2 ?

State of the art training facilities are no guarantee of success.

Take Championship Leicester City for example...

State of the art training facilities are no guarantee of success.

Take Championship Leicester City for example...

Nothing is a guarantee for success, is it? But certain things quite clearly help.

Saying we shouldn't improve facilities, which, overall are beneficial, in case we end up as an outlier that is 'struggling' (this is Leicester who have beaten our best Championship start ever), isn't a reason to not do something. Not doing something that can enable success is far worse.

It's like saying you'd turn down the chance to study at Oxford, or Harvard, because there's a small population who have been there who have ended up on the dole. Better sticking to middle of the Lane, Sheffield Hallam.

I'm a member of an amazing gym in Melbourne, have the beach & foreshore within walking distance and a fresh food market a ten minute walk from my house. Yet I'm still a lazy c*nt who needs to lose 5+ kilos and order pizza and nandos delivery once a week 😬😃

While we're on the subject of "facilities".

In the absence of any suitable & available stadium we own, Sheffield United Women are playing a home game at Alfreton Town tonight.

Longer term, that needs addressing as well.

Wasn’t there a planning application submitted for a women’s team stadium at the Olympic legacy park?

It would have been a McCabe venture so guessing it died on its arse around the time he left and covid arrived.

Wasn’t there a planning application submitted for a women’s team stadium at the Olympic legacy park?

It would have been a McCabe venture so guessing it died on its arse around the time he left and covid arrived.
That stadium was built. It's a perfect set up for Sheffield United Women. It's got a 4g pitch. It's in Sheffield. It's a simple, easy to maintain stadium. Which (I understand) meets the FA requirements and standards.

It is currently being used by Sheffield City. Playing at "Step 8". The 12th level of the football pyramid. Three rungs below Hallam & Handsworth. A level where it is often/sometimes no Linos.

It most certainly did NOT die on it's arse.

That stadium was built. It's a perfect set up for Sheffield United Women. It's got a 4g pitch. It's in Sheffield. It's a simple, easy to maintain stadium. Which (I understand) meets the FA requirements and standards.

It is currently being used by Sheffield City. Playing at "Step 8". The 12th level of the football pyramid. Three rings below Hallam & Handsworth. A level where it is often/sometimes no Linos.

It most certainly did NOT die on it's arse.

But it can’t be as per the originally reported proposal. The women haven’t played on the Olympic park for a while now have they? And I’m not aware they ever got this base:

1697019953133.jpeg

But it can’t be as per the originally reported proposal. The women haven’t played on the Olympic park for a while now have they? And I’m not aware they ever got this base:

View attachment 172836
Sorry. We've lost each other. I'm saying "The McCabe Stadium" was built. Is being used. But not by Sheffield United Women.

That "artist's impression" building is there. Just not with those logos

Sorry. We've lost each other. I'm saying "The McCabe Stadium" was built. Is being used. But not by Sheffield United Women.

I wonder who has controlling influence in that stadia ,is it a sport England facility ,Sheffield council ,or does macabe hold the cards,

I wonder who has controlling influence in that stadia ,is it a sport England facility ,Sheffield council ,or does macabe hold the cards,
Don't the ladies play all league games at the lane ,just some cup matches are moved

As always with shit like this, it'll be complicated. Certainly, Scarborough Group International are the the Development Partner for the whole Olympic Legacy Park, appointed by Sheffield City Council.

But, I mean, basically, you can rent the stadium. I could run around on it doing all the tricks n flicks. While you behave like a Deranged Steelworker Type in the stand.

Don't the ladies play all league games at the lane ,just some cup matches are moved
That's true (my understanding). But, the main point remains. Due to "facilities" Sheffield United Women are playing/have to play a home game at Alfreton. Albeit in the Cup.

I'm sure there would be long term plans for the women ,to be fair to united they have expanded their budget somewhat,and do play at the lane most games .not sure why the cup games differ (costs ?)
Do we integrate or separate the women's team ?

Ah I never realised it all went ahead without SUFC women’s involvement as originally planned. Seems a shame as they are obvious synergies to be had.

Yes I did just use the word synergies. 😱

Back
Top Bottom