Tony Kenworthy....on That day

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Two turning points of ‘that day ‘ was Speight going off injured & MacPhail ( I think ) shooting straight at Bolder after Bournes chip had come back off the bar when it was 1-0 , Ah we’ll still had Bobby Davison night & Bouncing Day to more than cover that ⚔️
yes your right about mcphails follow up great save by bolder but he should have buried it only had to hit it either side of him and hit it straight at him 🙄

I went to the lot, Mansfield , Blackpool and Plymouth stand out. Boxing day is the only match I have ever left early. I walked home after their 2nd all the way to Abbeydale with the right kite on.
I had to travel back to Parson Cross, on the 79 bus, after the game, very few Blades up there back then.
Then, I had to face the family, all (both mother and fathers sides) Wednesday, my brother, a turncoat Leeds, then Man United, and finally, after the 4 nowt win, Wednesdayite.
They all tried keeping straight faces, until I shouted "Fuck off", and ran upstairs.

I went out with my mates later on, and a well known pig and his mates were walking up Edgedale Rd, one of the lads with us not really into football, chased them with a dead cat that had been run over, swinging it round his head by its tail.

Away wins after finishing 6th in 74-5

75-6 2
76-7 5
77-8 3
78-9 2
79-80 5
80-81 2

So 19 out of 138. About 15% win rate. As you say, appalling.

It improved hugely in the 1981-2 promotion season, but then normal service resumed in 1982-3. Thank God we had a very good home record that season. If we hadn't, the fourth division would have been beckoning again!

Thought we had won there! I didnt go to many games that season. Either 1980-81 or 1982-83 were the fewest I attended Blades matches in a season
Fortunately or Unfortunately as it turned out I went to most of them, as said earlier our away form was shocking around that time.

It improved hugely in the 1981-2 promotion season, but then normal service resumed in 1982-3. Thank God we had a very good home record that season. If we hadn't, the fourth division would have been beckoning again!
The worse spell was from Nov 79 to Sept 81 when our record was P38 W2 D10 L26. Bizzarely the 2 wins were both by 3 goals.

Back
Top Bottom