Tony Currie Stand No More?!

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Haha, brilliant. Quick question though, He's seen as great and from what Ive seen of him on clips he was, but did he contribute more to the club that Billy Sharp? Similar about of games played for us by both...Sharps scored a lot more goals.

I'm not biased to Sharp, genuinely interested in peoples views of contribution to the club

Having seen both the fairest response I can give is that they are/were different kinds of players. TC was a magician on the ball, incredibly gifted and skilled and one of the most entertaining players the country has produced. Billy is monumental in his determination and effort in a Blades shirt and a brilliant goalscorer.

Each Blade will have their own view on who is our greatest. Billy isn't done yet of course and still has time to complete his legacy.

In the interests of fan harmony it should be renamed the Chrissie Wilder Stand.

Having seen both the fairest response I can give is that they are/were different kinds of players. TC was a magician on the ball, incredibly gifted and skilled and one of the most entertaining players the country has produced. Billy is monumental in his determination and effort in a Blades shirt and a brilliant goalscorer.

Each Blade will have their own view on who is our greatest. Billy isn't done yet of course and still has time to complete his legacy.
I thought this might be the answer on their playing styles. It's impossible to compare them like for like. Maybe Deane or Sharp is a bit more accurate based on their playing positions.

My dad raves about Currie, many stories told. It's hard to have any interest though when I never saw him play, we met the players at an awards ceremony a few years ago. My dad was buzzing to meet Currie.

Hi Stegosaurus here

I heard a rumor that Angry Birds was gonna buy the naming rights to Brammal Lane.

Pukka Pie corner isn’t called that anymore which I think is crap. Get the sponsors back

When I started going officially the Kop was the “En-Tout-Cas Stand” and the Bramall Lane end was “The Stones Best Bitter Stand.

The Kop was the Hallam FM Kop in the early 00s and for a while now seems to be known as the Kennedy’s Kop but I’ve no idea what Kennedy’s is (other than a doomed American political dynasty).

I'm still fuming about the Jessica Ennis stand being re-named.....don't think I will ever go to BDTBL again if they take TC's name off the South Stand... :rolleyes:
What a fucking farce that was !

Laver, of course, being a corporate sponsor. So it's not like it's the first time this has happened.

Well er yes, a 'corporate sponsor', but the Laver family were the classic Northern business folk who got involved with their local club. I'm not sue if you are old enough to remember, but the other side of Cherry Street was a large timber yard owned by the Lavers and they had similar in ChessVegas, Grimsby and somewhere else equally exotic.
In a time when clubs ticked over and owners didn't plough millions in every season, the Lavers took over from Hassalls (a local housebuilder) as we slipped to our nadir in the 4th division.

I think that Andrew(?) Laver was still on the board when McCabe took over. As a family they were 'rich', as in richer than the rest of us, but not dripping with brass and certainly unable to afford to fund annual losses of millions of pounds. I think they stepped in to pay for shirt or stand sponsorship when the club didn't have a pot to piss in and our 'corporate image' was so low that even giants like Cantors/GT Cars/Simmonds couldn't be arsed.

Chalk and cheese, but with more cheese and chalk thrown in.

I was 11 when TC left and I had known him as god (obligatory poster on the bedroom wall). His ability to drift past opponents and place a 40 yard pass on Woody's toe, was unbelievable. A skilful player in a time when there was one at every club (Worthington, Hudson, Osgood, Bowles, Marsh, George, McKenzie etc etc) but woefully ignored by the dull, dour, unimaginative ex-DirtyLeeds bastard; Don Revie when he somehow became England manager ahead of Cloughie.

I've been a big defender of Billy on here, when silly bastards say, 'he needs to be dropped because he hasn't scored for three games', or similar shit. In the last couple of years, with goals so much harder to come by, his general teamwork was improved in spades. He is no longer the 'goal hanger' of popular mythology, but a proper team player and a Blade. A rank proper Blade!

In a sentence, Billy is much more Mr Sheffield United (he took a pay cut to return), but TC was the best player I have ever seen.

Well er yes, a 'corporate sponsor', but the Laver family were the classic Northern business folk who got involved with their local club. I'm not sue if you are old enough to remember, but the other side of Cherry Street was a large timber yard owned by the Lavers and they had similar in ChessVegas, Grimsby and somewhere else equally exotic.
In a time when clubs ticked over and owners didn't plough millions in every season, the Lavers took over from Hassalls (a local housebuilder) as we slipped to our nadir in the 4th division.

I think that Andrew(?) Laver was still on the board when McCabe took over. As a family they were 'rich', as in richer than the rest of us, but not dripping with brass and certainly unable to afford to fund annual losses of millions of pounds. I think they stepped in to pay for shirt or stand sponsorship when the club didn't have a pot to piss in and our 'corporate image' was so low that even giants like Cantors/GT Cars/Simmonds couldn't be arsed.
They were branded as Timberworld for a few years, but I’ve noticed the Laver branding coming back quite a bit, and that’s down in the southwest, somewhat away from their core area. Don’t know if they’re still family owned.

I'm sure some of the older Blades will shoot me down for this, but a lot of Blades never saw him play. If there's an opportunity for us to bring in a few quid then I'd say its worth it.

I get that clubs like Man Utd, West Ham, Liverpool etc have stands named after players/ managers but I don't think we're in the financial position to give up an opportunity to keep TC's name on there.
Not to mention the Citeh fans who were quite happy to sit on the Bell End

Back
Top Bottom