Today - My View

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Make no mistake, this is a relegation battle. Yesterday had all the hallmarks, the most significant being the dreaded 'playing quite well but still losing' that Mickey Adams specialized in. Quite apart from not being able to create chances, there is a lack of bottle and a lack of confidence. Symptomatic was McMahon trying to dink a cross when level with the penalty spot on the right side of the box that drifted out for a throw instead of putting his foot through the ball and getting a shot in. Far too often we saw players on the wing having to do everything themselves with no support near them. Taylor is one of these 'running through treacle' players. King didn't have a kick. Didn't win a header, couldn't hold it up, link up play poor. Looked like a donkey. Oh and he is 33 and we are stuck with him for a year. I would sooner have Kitson, at least he could win headers. Where is this high-tempo pressing game we were promised? Why is Cuvelier lurking in the shadows behind Doyle?

What? Most of the chances today were shots from 20-25 yards out, the others were headers flying over from corners, I think we maybe had one attempt from open play inside the box for the second handball penalty shout.

Weir seems happy with the amount of chances created?

Hope they put the video up on BP, would like to have a look for myself.

I counted 10 shots within the first 15 minutes. Our best passage of play by miles. All were from outside the box and all but a couple were off target. These are the chances he is referring to. For me a 'chance' is an opportunity to score rather than an opportunity to shoot, especially if it is outside the box.

Weir talks rubbish. Their keeper didn't have a serious save to make. We had several long range shots in the first half - all off target. The official stats say just 3 attempts on target in the 90 minutes.

If Wilson had this team we'd be top. There's no doubt Weir has strengthened the squad, he's just finding it tough. That will come with experience. Did we really expect promotion this year? We'll still finish there or there abouts round play offs. Next year we'll be a force

I didn't expect promotion, and we have fired a couple of managers at inappropriate times in the last five years. (Blackwell and Wilson). This doesn't appear to have helped us.

However, I also didn't expect to see us third from bottom (and deservedly so) after 8 games in the third division. We still have not kept even one clean sheet in the league, and this with the same back four as last season. We have lost three quarters of our games (only one less than Wilson lost after 41 games last season) and have scored a grand total of five goals. Coventry started with a 10 point disadvantage and yet have overhauled us before we've even reached a double figure number of games.

We are not just going through a minor bad patch. This is an appalling run. We have now lost 5 on the trot, 6 out of the last 7 - and that would have been 7 out of the last 7 if it hadn't been for a very fortunate goal against Colchester. We have signed a significant number of player - at least 10, and it's made no difference.

Additionally, we have played two cup games. Both against opposition from a lower division. We managed to lose one of those and that was at home! The other we won on penalties after again failing to score.

There really are no signs at all that this is getting better, and with Wolves next up it's not likely to improve in the near future.

Maybe 8 league games is too short a time to change managers, but how long do we wait? Our next three home games are against Crawley, Port vale and Crewe, with away games at Wolves, Coventry and Peterborough. We will then be a third of the way through the season. There simply has to be a marked improvement in results over those 6 games. I would suggest an expectation of winning the home games would not be unreasonable.

Out of the next 6 games, I can see us winning 1 and getting 4 points.

Crawley will come to Bramall Lane, shut up shop and hit us on the break. I think we will get a point. Port Vale are doing well and Micky Adams will have them fired up for a battle and I can see a defeat. Crewe will be the game we manage to grab a win. The 3 away games you may as well write off already. It wouldn't surprise if we are on the wrong end of a hiding in one.

At that point our record will be P 14 w 2 D 2 L 10 Pts 8. It doesn't take a genius to work out what sort of position we will be occupying with a third of the season gone, and no real prospect of turning it round. The only question will be how far adrift in the relegation zone we will be. Then the only question will be is how much longer we will be under the management of Weir, and do we have it in us to find a manager to drag us to safety.

Today - my view

Kinder-Scout-Derbyshire-P-001.jpg

Took the dog over the moors instead. And how much better was that than watching that load of crap in S2...

Great picture. More to life than getting stressed about the amount of chances in a game of football that you have to pay good money to watch.

Hope they put the video up on BP, would like to have a look for myself.

I don't know if SUFC use ProZone or similar stats gathering, but frankly we shouldn't need it to know that we barely created chance inside the opposition area.

Unless the players' confidence suddenly starts to flow after a win or two, it's hard to see how we'll become a dangerous side using this formation. It requires bravery and confidence to succeed. That and two new fullbacks.

4-4-2 you dozy grey haired old sod. or even 3-5-2 how crap our full backs are. whats the point in having em if they cant do owt? may as well play 3 centre backs and pray they can deal with it when the oppo play through behind our wingers. At least it would leave them open to a counter attack. Be more interesting than the crap we play right now. Either way, get 2 sodding forruds on.

We can now afford to hire a proven manager who can play good winning football, so why do people say it will be a kick and rush man if he goes ?

PS.
All I hope is they don't let Mr McCabe pick the next one.....:(

PS.
All I hope is they don't let Mr McCabe pick the next one.....:(

Sorry to piss on yer chips but he didn't select this one. There was a panel of football people and the he chief exec who decided this, made their recommendation to McCabe who sanctioned the appointment.

Sorry to piss on yer chips but he didn't select this one. There was a panel of football people and the he chief exec who decided this, made their recommendation to McCabe who sanctioned the appointment.
In other words he picked him ?

In other words he picked him ?

Winter and Stephenson mostly
McCabe wanted them to do this so he wouldn't be involved.
FWIW I think they applied some logic to it.
FWIW I don't think Weir is looking at the situation he has, logically. It's because he has spent so much time at the top that he cannot comprehend how fragile and inconsistent players are at this level.

Make no mistake, this is a relegation battle. Yesterday had all the hallmarks, the most significant being the dreaded 'playing quite well but still losing' that Mickey Adams specialized in. Quite apart from not being able to create chances, there is a lack of bottle and a lack of confidence. Symptomatic was McMahon trying to dink a cross when level with the penalty spot on the right side of the box that drifted out for a throw instead of putting his foot through the ball and getting a shot in. Far too often we saw players on the wing having to do everything themselves with no support near them. Taylor is one of these 'running through treacle' players. King didn't have a kick. Didn't win a header, couldn't hold it up, link up play poor. Looked like a donkey. Oh and he is 33 and we are stuck with him for a year. I would sooner have Kitson, at least he could win headers. Where is this high-tempo pressing game we were promised? Why is Cuvelier lurking in the shadows behind Doyle?
And then mcmahon had the gall to gesticulate to the players in the middle, arrogant knob who thinks hes a star....

Weir talks rubbish. Their keeper didn't have a serious save to make. We had several long range shots in the first half - all off target. The official stats say just 3 attempts on target in the 90 minutes.
Not true..Doyle and McMahon forced cracking saves from their keeper.....

Funny how two of the players everybody seems to want to get rid of, got two of our three shot on target.
And neither one is a forward ?

It's all getting a bit tedious two half hearted attempts at goal is that all we've got to talk about!

McMahon? The free kick? that was going wide anyway.
Cant remember the Doyle one.
doyle always seems to have a mystery shot that noone actually saw except his proponents.. its like monty groundhog day.. they'll have a frank lampard quote next

Back
Top Bottom