Timewasting in the corners

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The best way to defend a one goal lead is to make it a two goal lead, which oddly becomes easier when you are facing a team desperate for an equaliser. If there's 20 seconds left then maybe go to the corner, not with ten minutes to go.

Then again, there's lots of things that teams don't do when approaching half or full time that are incredibly obvious but never done - if you have a corner and the ref is going to blow for half time the second it is cleared, then everybody needs to go into the box, keeper included

Reactions: Dkc

Then again, there's lots of things that teams don't do when approaching half or full time that are incredibly obvious but never done - if you have a corner and the ref is going to blow for half time the second it is cleared, then everybody needs to go into the box, keeper included

Whilst this should be easily done, the half time ends when the referee says it ends. Despite the fourth official saying there's 1 min left....the ref is fully within his rights to make it 90/120 seconds.... This makes the tactic extremely risky and just not worthwhile.

Thought against Palace the corner which we chose to time waste with might have been better taken as a proper corner. We had looked very dangerous from most previous ones.

Personally, although it was stressful, I was ok with the ref adding on 7 minutes. I have never seen us time waste like we did although I could understand it , in light of it was our first game back and we desperately wanted to get a win and the 3 points.
My only hope/wish is that all referees are as strict with adding the time on and also that they add time on for time wasting within the added time. I just can’t imagine many refs adding on 7 minutes at Anfield if they were 1-0 up. It’s easy to make a statement with little old Sheffield United

30 seconds for each substitution = 2.5 mins
A minute or two for Townsend injury
Same again for the scuffle in the corner
Minute or so added for 'time wasting'

Can soon add up...

I rewatched the match and took note of the time added on as I was incensed at the match.

You're pretty spot on with this. The time-wasting was a couple of times at throw-ins, the ref pointed at his watch.

I noted it as

Townsend 2
CP sub. . 5
Throw . 5
CP sub . 5
Throw 1
Foul 2
CP sub . 5
McG sub . 5

My responses are slightly tongue in cheek, but there is a point that whether it’s luck or good tactics, the intended result was achieved: don’t concede.

As I said, it's not much of a point in my opinion. We don't know whether or not it influenced the result or if it made Palace more or less likely to equalise.

The theory is that you’ll lose the ball, so it’s better to do it in the far corner as it’s the furthest point the ball can be on the pitch. It means that we can also not waste players, just keeping 2/3 players there, the rest maintaining shape.

As I said, I’d prefer if we attacked for a 2nd but that would risk players being out of position when possession inevitably is conceded.

I understand the concept, I just have my personal doubts.

Can anyone remember if any team has ever scored immediately after winning the ball back following the opposition doing this?

I think some people are mixing up 'timewasting' to 'keeping possession of the ball whilst in play'. The ref can only add time on when play has stopped.

Keeping the ball in the corner is not timewasting.

Did the ball boys go missing in that second half?

Seemed to me that Palace players were having to fetch the ball for us to take throw-ins.

Listened to some journalist on the radio this week and he was saying the average time the ball is actually in play in the PL was just over 50 minutes.

Explained how he'd also started timing how long it took to take many corners and free kicks.

Sounds a bit sad doing that but I do share his pain. The amount of time spent fucking about in top flight games especially is ridiculous.

I would love to see some proper academic research as to whether taking the ball into the corner is actually an effective technique.
A bit like this US academic study which ex-pig Petter Rudi contributed to: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6919576/
Not a surprise that they got an ex SWFC player in to a study on time wasting/cheating.
In my mind I associate such cynical tactics with the players of Gerrard and the advent of the uber 'professional' premier league era players (aka cheats). Klinnsmann was famous for it as well. Ian Wrong also loved a dive.
Current and recent managers such as Sean Dyche; Fat Sam; and Bielsa have taken the coaching and embedding of gamesmanship within their teams to another level entirely. Current culprits of this dire cheaty stuff in the championship are Valerien Ismael; Nigel Pearson (ex SWFC of course) and Lee Bowyer.
Proper strong refereeing would sort this out pretty quickly but thats never going to happen is it!

I hate time wasting. Bloody pathetic and gutless way to win.
At a tournament this summer my 12 yr old sons team lost 1-0 to a team where their keeper shithoused to a level I have never seen for a child that age.
We passed the ball to him for goal kicks and he repeatedly pretended to miss it or miss kick it so he took longer. In the end I put the ball on the 6 yard line for him and then he moved it anyway. Such a twatish way to win.

Back
Top Bottom