Ticketing survey

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Does the ticket point system need replacement

• Total voters

So if I've had a season ticket for 32 years consecutively, sat through a lot of utter shit including 6 years in L1, been to 100's of away and cup games, and spent an absolute fortune over they years, I should get my points taken off me because someone who's attended for the past 5 years doesn't like it and wants first dibs on Prem tickets? Does anyone understand what loyalty actually is? Get lost!
Been thinking all morning how to put my feelings into words. You've nailed it for me.
I dread to think how much its cost me in pound notes to acru my daughters and my loyalty points. Bugger off if anyone thinks we should lose out to newbies.

Been thinking all morning how to put my feelings into words. You've nailed it for me.
I dread to think how much its cost me in pound notes to acru my daughters and my loyalty points. Bugger off if anyone thinks we should lose out to newbies.
A 'newbie' season ticket holder who's been going for 5 years, is only likely to have about 10k points. How are you going to lose out to them?

It should be rolling IMO over say 2 years

And also ballot for season ticket holders say 30/40% of the tickets
I said 3 years on my response. Two is not quite long enough, but the next of their proposals at 5, too long. I think Wednesday do theirs on a 3 year basis.

Good to finally see some movement on this. Fix the structural issue and it'll be a non issue thereafter. It'll also get people chasing points from cup games etc as there's then a feasible chance they can get close to the top.

The season ticket seat sell back is a good idea. An online refund policy would also be good. I have an illness which means I don't know until the day whether I can go. It'd be great to be able to cancel online. Most of the time it's just wasted money 🤣.

Hopefully we aren't.
Even with a new scheme I don't think you will.
I imagine it will just give newer supporters a glimmer of hope they can get more than 2k points a season, and eventually catch up. Otherwise we expect somebody to have a season ticket for 20-25 years til they have enough points.

Stopping people USING an away ticket obtained on someone else's number at the away turnstile or in the away end is virtually impossible. You can absolutely forget that.

I think Wolves do this on occasion. At certain away games, their fans have to show photo ID with their ticket. I assume they send people down to this.

Lots of Blades live a long way away and if points were reset they would be disadvantaged. I have friends that travel to games from Scotland and Cornwall they can’t make every game because of the distances so they have to select games.

I think to assist the far away supporters they could get extra points based on home address and distance involved similar to away games.

Just a thought to help long distance Blades

You and me are definitely on the same wavelength with this

Nice to hear I'm not alone Diggsy, certainly feels that way when I post any common sense about the stupid way our loyalty points system is managed.
The highest loyalty points holders just take it as a personal slur against them because they are not interested in the point anybody is making.

We have reached a point where 28,000 people go to games
And I don't know how many tens of thousands have just said Fuck it.

And many others that say "I could go today because the tickets are on general sale, but I'd have to go on my own and I'd be conscious about singing, shouting, standing up, it will just be boring".

I had no e-mail from the club but saw the survey on twitter. The loyalty points shit has had it's day you can bet your life only the select few can go away next season which means they alone get more loyalty points. Anyone starting out can never catch up until the team turns to shit and people can't be arsed to go away.
Thing is when the team turns to shit it will be those with the high points that's still going it's called loyalty ⚔️👍

Nice to hear I'm not alone Diggsy, certainly feels that way when I post any common sense about the stupid way our loyalty points system is managed.
The highest loyalty points holders just take it as a personal slur against them because they are not interested in the point anybody is making.

We have reached a point where 28,000 people go to games
And I don't know how many tens of thousands have just said Fuck it.

And many others that say "I could go today because the tickets are on general sale, but I'd have to go on my own and I'd be conscious about singing, shouting, standing up, it will just be boring".

Makes me laugh this, you can bet your life when we play our 1st away game we will see kids under ten in the crowd how the fuck do they get ticket before the fan who has 30k+ point. To me it is obvious the system is abused by high points holder buying ticket and selling them on. Well fuck em make it a 5yr rolling count. Give all ST holders a few days priority and put 20% on general sale 1st come 1st served seems to be the only way to stop the cheats.

Makes me laugh this, you can bet your life when we play our 1st away game we will see kids under ten in the crowd how the fuck do they get ticket before the fan who has 30k+ point. To me it is obvious the system is abused by high points holder buying ticket and selling them on. Well fuck em make it a 5yr rolling count. Give all ST holders a few days priority and put 20% on general sale 1st come 1st served seems to be the only way to stop the cheats.
The number of young un’s at Bournemouth first away game back up last time. Luton this season. Lots of v young kids. Assume player relatives a few of them but certainly not all.

My son and I have season tickets. As we don’t live in Sheffield work commitments can make getting to some night games virtually impossible. This might be worse next season with games switched for TV to a Monday or Friday. I would love a scheme to allow me to gift our season tickets to someone who otherwise would be unable to attend. Failing that a buy back scheme that gives me a proportion of the resale price earned by the club which would at least ensure our seats are not empty.

What about the high points holders you see everywhere every week? How are they abusing the system?

Fuck them though. Making it so more people can do the same as those who do abuse it, or reducing their chances of continuing to go is definitely the best course of action… because fuck them and their every week attending.

There could do with being a happy medium to allow kids etc. There certainly needs to be a function to stop dead peoples points being used. But most suggestions I’ve seen so far are to shoot at those likely most “loyal” by the definition.

Having the personal and financial circumstances that allow you to attend every away game shouldn't mean those of us who'd like the opportunity to attend them occasionally are basically blocked out forever.

I have a very young family. Away games and even some at home are a non-starter (still have a season ticket). But I can only go to away games that no fucker wants to attend anyway

What about the high points holders you see everywhere every week? How are they abusing the system?

Fuck them though. Making it so more people can do the same as those who do abuse it, or reducing their chances of continuing to go is definitely the best course of action… because fuck them and their every week attending.

There could do with being a happy medium to allow kids etc. There certainly needs to be a function to stop dead peoples points being used. But most suggestions I’ve seen so far are to shoot at those likely most “loyal” by the definition.
So you want to pull the ladder up basically?

For me (current points total barely worth mentioning, I have no dog in this fight) the system has to do the following:

1. Allow those with the most points first dibs on in demand tickets
2. Ensure that there is a way to "catch up" over a suitably long period
3. Not be self perpetuating and reward the "hard yards" more generously

1 is easy
2 means you need a tapering cut off over a specific period (say 10 years) with points earned last season worth 100% and those from 10 years ago 10%
3 means that an early league cup tie at the lane against dogshit FC should be worth way more than the following Saturday home game against Wolves. And games in L1 should earn more than games in the PL. And it means no one should be earning any points for getting one of the 2k tickets to high demand games (e.g. Pool away) giving people who got tickets due to their points balance more points simply continues the status quo.

Day 1 sales of away tickets should be limited to the exact number of people who qualify - after that ramp it down quickly day by day.

As I say, no dog in this fight, so hopefully this is reasonably objective...

So you want to pull the ladder up basically?

No. I want them to find something fair to as many people as possible. Rather than just punishing those who have put in the hard miles and ££s by the system. The ones who seemingly get the most vitriol whenever anyone suggests that they have first dibs for a reason.

I've a dog in both fights... I'm very comfortably in front of the highest points required for the top bracket since inception, I've mates in most brackets down to zero points, I've a daughter who is 6 years old who is interested and a son who is too young to be interested yet.

I get the need to ensure it's not a closed shop forever.

What I'd rather though, is rather than people targeting those with most points, it to be something workable that stops abuse and lets others get on the ladder. Also, I'd like it to be an argument more often, not just when we get to Wembley or return to the Premier League - surely if it's a problem, the problem persists regardless of opposition?

What most seem to be suggesting is scrapping loyalty points entirely and returning to everyone queuing together, or an arbitrary number of years to suit their argument based on their circumstances... both of these simply result in more people in the top bracket and the same problem for those not yet in it.

Maybe I’ve not been radical enough, but I said keep the 10% ballot but just ensure it’s communicated better. Towards the end of last season they didn’t say when successful ballot entries would be contacted, and they’ve never been that good at announcing when the ballot is complete. I’d also hope the process could be completed a bit sooner- sometimes when we’ve had tickets in the ballot it has been a bit tight to organise travel and accommodation if required. I’ve benefited from it this season, and it’s allowed me to attend games but whilst actually getting the loyalty points on my own account as it should be.

Love that old thread from 2006. I got 100 points for going to that Bury League cup match 17 years ago. The ticket office can try and prize them out of my cold dead hands.

I don’t go that often now. I’m at a points level where there might be a few of the more unfashionable or Tuesday night away matches next season that I could probably get tickets for. But I’m not going to begrudge people who still go week in week out a ticket at Anfield. The whole point of a loyalty points scheme is it rewards the people who do pay week in week out to follow the club. I really can’t knock it.

I think the issue of “Dead fans” is a bit overblown. We aren’t Manchester United. Tickets aren’t that hard to come by and there aren’t that many of us. I know some away matches can be over subscribed but there have been quite a few that have gone on general sale this season.

If the current points system is creating an upper class of the same 1500 wealthy old people blocking younger supporters how come there are so many posts here complaining about away followings now consisting solely of teenage/early 20s lads on drugs causing mayhem?

If the current points system is creating an upper class of the same 1500 wealthy old people blocking younger supporters how come there are so many posts here complaining about away followings now consisting solely of teenage/early 20s lads on drugs causing mayhem?
I think this point is one of the things that bothers people - ie have those youngsters really amassed enough points, or just got them some other way?

As has been mentioned above, I don't think the majority of people are in the 'fuck em' about the other group of points holders.
I have enough to get to a reasonable number of away matches last few seasons, but most likely not for the prem. I can also see how frustrating it is to not be able to get on the ladder. Season ticket points will never get you there.
A sensible fair system is needed. That doesn't mean deleting long standing fans points, or leaving it as it is. I'm sure there's a sensible way down the middle.

No. I want them to find something fair to as many people as possible. Rather than just punishing those who have put in the hard miles and ££s by the system. The ones who seemingly get the most vitriol whenever anyone suggests that they have first dibs for a reason.

I've a dog in both fights... I'm very comfortably in front of the highest points required for the top bracket since inception, I've mates in most brackets down to zero points, I've a daughter who is 6 years old who is interested and a son who is too young to be interested yet.

I get the need to ensure it's not a closed shop forever.

What I'd rather though, is rather than people targeting those with most points, it to be something workable that stops abuse and lets others get on the ladder. Also, I'd like it to be an argument more often, not just when we get to Wembley or return to the Premier League - surely if it's a problem, the problem persists regardless of opposition?

What most seem to be suggesting is scrapping loyalty points entirely and returning to everyone queuing together, or an arbitrary number of years to suit their argument based on their circumstances... both of these simply result in more people in the top bracket and the same problem for those not yet in it.
So how would you stop the abuse of the system? I'm not saying this is you but it is widely accepted that some who sit at the top of the Christmas tree will do anything to say there, this includes buying every ticket going even if they have no intention of attending and sell off their ticket and pocket even more loyalty points. We do have a few on this thread who are saying they have had a ST years and "I'm alright Jack fuck anyone else", like the saying goes the rich get richer. These people are the types that spoil it for everyone those lower down the tree who have say 35,000pts but still have little chance of getting an away ticket as well as those with loads of points but play by the rules set out by SUFC the one that says loyalty points are NOT transferable.
Yeah we have these threads every time there is a big game or when we get promoted but SUFC created the monster and they simply have to do something to make it fairer and stop certain fans cheating the system. It isn't about who is the biggest Blade we all know that's Kevin but lets be fair here just because someone goes home and away and has a season ticket doesn't make them more of a fan than the next bloke. Some people are lucky and have time and money to follow united everywhere for others life gets in the way but if circumstances change maybe they would go to every game the trouble being it is now a closed shop the ladder has been pulled up and there is no way of climbing that ladder. To make the system fair some at the top will become collateral damage I don't see another way other than a rolling count and 20% going on general sale which still gives top loyalty point holders a chance of a ticket if they miss out when they are on sale to ST holders only. Those at the top can't keep saying fuck the newbies I'm OK! What do people have to do wait till some body dies........... well even that isn't enough when the accounts of the dead are passed down to family.

The biggest problem is clearly the issue of customer numbers being used to buy tickets and someone else attending the match.

This would be very easy to stop, just make say 100 tickets collection only with photo ID at the stadium on the day of the game. If the ticket doesn’t get collected or cancelled prior to the game, then a black mark is placed on this account and no future tickets will be sold until the account holder in question shows ID at the ticket office.

It’s just a case of if United are arsed enough to pay a few members of staff to travel to an away match and sort out the collection point etc.

I've just completed it, my gripe is more about the £1 admin fee for online tickets, never understood it but everyone does it

Back
Top Bottom