Thoughts on Reading

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Flatcap

Resident Lurker
Reaction score
Unfortunately, they've just been smashed 5-0 and will want to put on a performance against us. Got a horrible feeling they're just going to edge it 2-1.

I think we will get promoted but I think it will take us falling into 3rd to regain the mentality needed to push for promotion. Feel like the big players will step up when promotion is at risk.

Anyway, here is Hecky's pre-match.

Thought this was one of the more interesting press conferences today. Fewer cliches, and there was a bit of fire behind the eyes.

One interesting point I picked up on - when talking about physical/mental fatigue, he mentioned it was important for the players to recharge themselves properly particularly at home, away from the training ground. Wonder if there's been anyone on the naughty step? Or what that comment was meant to mean?

Hate the way the club is being run at the minute..

It's a complete farce that we're under embargo and players can't have contract talks, yet we expect them to go flying into tackles, it's madness, and professional footballers without the safety of a contract just don't do it..

Off the pitch, It's as if the Prince is happy to just let it all run to shite..

It's a complete farce that we're under embargo and players can't have contract talks

Cite the bolded? AFAIK the embargo is all to do with new registrations. We could offer anyone already on the books whatever new contract we like

Cite the bolded? AFAIK the embargo is all to do with new registrations. We could offer anyone already on the books whatever new contract we like

Thought that hecky said in the interview that they can't..

Based on some of the posts around here, it seems to me as though most of you lot have never thought about reading at all.

I'm currently reading White Teeth by Zadie Smith. I'm only 20 pages in but I already love how she writes.

I'm also reading a book about David Foster Wallace, who wrote another book called Infinite Jest in the 90s before offing himself in about 2008. I read Infinite Jest before Christmas and thought it was shite but was curious to learn more about the bloke himself.

I've read a couple of novels by Neal Hardin.... crime stuff, JFK conspiracy type tale...excellent.

We have to attack them hard, with slick and quick passing. No team has conceded more goals than Reading in the Championship so far this season.

We can't offer contracts until the ownership is known surely. If there's no Dozy or A.N.Other PA can't or won't commit any more funds it seems.

It's a complete farce that we're under embargo and players can't have contract talks, yet we expect them to go flying into tackles, it's madness, and professional footballers without the safety of a contract just don't do it..

^^^^This, absolutely this. ^^^^
Players need the certainty of a contract or they won't be chucking their bodies on the line.

Professional footballers who need a new contract will give their best to impress generally, especially when we are on tv so much
As Fleck said the lack of a contract does not affect how they play. The current contract will no doubt give them a decent bonus for promotion.
It is disingenuous to suggest they are not giving their all in matches.

'Now, what I want is, facts.'

That's the opening line of my current Reading.

Based on some of the posts around here, it seems to me as though most of you lot have never thought about reading at all.

I'm currently reading White Teeth by Zadie Smith. I'm only 20 pages in but I already love how she writes.

I'm also reading a book about David Foster Wallace, who wrote another book called Infinite Jest in the 90s before offing himself in about 2008. I read Infinite Jest before Christmas and thought it was shite but was curious to learn more about the bloke himself.
I thought people only read Infinite Jest so they can tell people they've read Infinite Jest.

(I've read it BTW. Some good bits.)

We are coming up against the weakest midfield that we played against for a while.
This is a good chance for 3 points.

Yes it’s a fucking joke we’ve had some cracking chairman’s over the years haven’t we:eek:

The prince effectively washed his hands of us at the same time that the Newcastle sale went through.

That was either down to him becoming potless at the same time, or he has been told in no uncertain terms that he must not own a rival PL club. That can either be achieved by selling us, or keeping us down.

I am not normally one for conspiracies, but it also seems beyond a coincidence.

PH has done such an amazing job to manage the side through this complete shitshow, but his talent will only go so far, and if the players are indeed worrying about what happens next, it's hardly going to focus their minds on the games.

We are coming up against the weakest midfield that we played against for a while.
This is a good chance for 3 points.
Yes but the likes of Andy Carroll will probably have their best performances of the season against us.

I heard him say we want more "intensity" i will suggest you won't get intensity from the midfield 3 you picked on Saturday.

Berge Norwood Fleck.One is laidback one is ponderous one is both laidback and ponderous.

I thought people only read Infinite Jest so they can tell people they've read Infinite Jest.

There were just enough good bits to get me to the end, but Jesus Christ it was a slog.

Estimates suggest that I'll need to mention it on anonymous online forums another 23,345 times for it to have been worth it.

The description of the eschaton game is one of those good bits. Confess I really like his writing - Infinite Jest is indeed a slog, though I think that’s partly the point, but The Pale King and some of his essays and short stories are more accessible.

Professional footballers who need a new contract will give their best to impress generally, especially when we are on tv so much
Not true necessarily, look at the players who never turned out for clubs during Covid so they didn’t get injured etc, clubs will target these players well before the contract runs out.

Great post

I’m thinking we’ll get a reaction tomorrow. Reading, as good as their home form has been, must be low on confidence.
We look at our team and contrive possible reasons why our boys won’t be up for it. Reading have just got spanked and are about to get a 6pt deduction.
We have a much better team, if we start quick and put one of our chances away I can see a dominant win! ⚔️

Back
Top Bottom