Those who said we were worst ever top flight team

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Interesting how last season we got 23 points and got slammed as the worst Premier League team ever.
This year Norwich have amassed the grand total of 22 points and Watford 23.
Yet no one says a dicky bird.
Pre Xmas we were the worst. Genuinely awful. After that, just run of the mill bad

Interesting how last season we got 23 points and got slammed as the worst Premier League team ever.
We didn't get slammed as the worst Premier League team ever. We were spoken about as one of the worst ever teams because it was painfully obvious that we were miles out of our depth. We set or matched a whole heap of unwanted records: longest opening to a season without a win (17 games!), most defeats in a season (29), fewest goals scored (20), fewest matches scored in (16). We had two points after 17 games. We were dreadful.

All time worst PL teams:
  1. Derby 2007/08: 11 points
  2. Sunderland 2005/06: 15 points
  3. Huddersfield 2018/19: 16 points
  4. Aston Villa 2015/16: 17 points
  5. Sunderland 2002/03: 19 points
  6. Norwich 2019/20: 21 points
  7. Norwich 2021/22: 22 points
  8. United 2020/21: 23 points (worst than Watford due to goals scored)
  9. Watford 2021/22: 23 points
  10. Watford 1999/00: 24 points

We didn't get slammed as the worst Premier League team ever. We were spoken about as one of the worst ever teams because it was painfully obvious that we were miles out of our depth. We set or matched a whole heap of unwanted records: longest opening to a season without a win (17 games!), most defeats in a season (29), fewest goals scored (20), fewest matches scored in (16). We had two points after 17 games. We were dreadful.

All time worst PL teams:

I knew Watford had been awful at home this season but didn't realise quite how bad until reading this today - they got 8 points at home in the entire season, 1 point more than the worst-ever (Sunderland in 2005/06) and the same as Derby managed in 2007/08. We got 16 points at home last season FWIW.

Watford are the first team ever to lose 11 straight top-flight home games.

It still boggles my mind that we only scored 20 goals last season. Not to say we were unlucky or anything, just... how do you only score 20 goals in 38 games!

I knew Watford had been awful at home this season but didn't realise quite how bad until reading this today - they got 8 points at home in the entire season, 1 point more than the worst-ever (Sunderland in 2005/06) and the same as Derby managed in 2007/08. We got 16 points at home last season FWIW.

Watford are the first team ever to lose 11 straight top-flight home games.

It still boggles my mind that we only scored 20 goals last season. Not to say we were unlucky or anything, just... how do you only score 20 goals in 38 games!
We scored 20 goals in 16 games. We failed to score in 22! The only teams to concede more than two goals all season against us was Man U (4; 2-3 at the Lane, 2-1 at Old Trafford). We only scored two against Brighton (1-1 at the Amex, 1-0 at home), West Brom (both in our 2-1 win at home) and Chelsea (1-4 at Stamford Bridge, 1-2 at home).

It has been mentioned on a fair few threads.

I don't think too many people are keen on starting threads saying "we were shit but not the shittest so let's all have a party" though. Last season was embarrassing.

It may be because I don't really pay any attention to football outside of the Blades but I've not seen articles stating how shit Norwich and Watford were etc. It's just unfortunate that we made a terrible start and it was widely reported.

To be fair, I think the talk was more that we MIGHT become the worst PL team ever based on our dreadful start. But then we picked up a few wins after Christmas which made the season slightly more respectable.

This Norwich team got 1 point fewer and ended up with a GD of -61. For context, ours was -43.

I imagine they will smash the Championship again next season, and the cycle repeats itself.

To be fair, I think the talk was more that we MIGHT become the worst PL team ever based on our dreadful start. But then we picked up a few wins after Christmas which made the season slightly more respectable.

This Norwich team got 1 point fewer and ended up with a GD of -61. For context, ours was -43.

I imagine they will smash the Championship again next season, and the cycle repeats itself.
I'm not so sure Norwich will. Pukki is in the last year of his contract and at 32 might think that there are better things to do than bounce between the top of the Championship and rock bottom in the Premier League. They've already sold most of their jewels and those they've kept haven't done their reputations much good (Aarons being a prime example). Dean Smith isn't a good manager.

This sums them up:
1653317317764.png

All of which means I'll be miles out and they'll get 104 points next season :)

All time worst PL teams:

Yes
Nowhere near the worst, but we are Sheffield United so we must be

If the image of the club doesn't change, this type of comment will always be aimed at us.

It was equally patronisingly amazing the season before when nobody could believe that we were in the top six or seven in the Prem

Why?

We're scruffy old flea ridden Sheffield United of course

If Forest go up and do well, will anybody patronisingly praise them? No

What about Fulham ? Bournemouth?

If an improvement in the fortunes of Ipswich, Coventry, Portsmouth, Wigan, Blackburn or Bolton meant that they propelled themselves into the top half of the Premier League in a few years, will anybody be so amazed about it?

No, they won't

As I said, Image......the club has revelled in its "Something you've just stepped in" image, so can have no complaints when derogatory comments are said about us.

Yes
Nowhere near the worst, but we are Sheffield United so we must be

If the image of the club doesn't change, this type of comment will always be aimed at us.

It was equally patronisingly amazing the season before when nobody could believe that we were in the top six or seven in the Prem

Why?

We're scruffy old flea ridden Sheffield United of course

If Forest go up and do well, will anybody patronisingly praise them? No

What about Fulham ? Bournemouth?

If an improvement in the fortunes of Ipswich, Coventry, Portsmouth, Wigan, Blackburn or Bolton meant that they propelled themselves into the top half of the Premier League in a few years, will anybody be so amazed about it?

No, they won't

As I said, Image......the club has revelled in its "Something you've just stepped in" image, so can have no complaints when derogatory comments are said about us.
Absolutely bugger all to do with image. Leeds were lauded as superheroes last season for basically the same thing.

It's to do with being a promoted team and money. Lowest wage bill, least amount of PL experience, finished top half.

7 million
756 thousand

Sheffield Wednesday fans.

I agree with the image problem, ever since the great Dave Bassett days then Warnock and to an extent Wilder we’ve been classed as cloggers and a long ball team the Tevez saga didn’t help Westham seemed to come out of it better.

Why the fuck would someone bring up our pathetic attempt at survival and then use some other clubs pathetic attempt of survival to dignify it? These threads are no good to anyone and only antagonise either side of a debate.

I'm not so sure Norwich will. Pukki is in the last year of his contract and at 32 might think that there are better things to do than bounce between the top of the Championship and rock bottom in the Premier League. They've already sold most of their jewels and those they've kept haven't done their reputations much good (Aarons being a prime example). Dean Smith isn't a good manager.

This sums them up:
View attachment 136508

All of which means I'll be miles out and they'll get 104 points next season :)
The Norwich yo-yo strategy is obviously working a treat - they improved by one point!

All time worst PL teams:
Typical United! We're even in the relegation places of the table of the worst ever PL teams.

After they beat Leicester on the 29th of February, they lost 11 consecutive league and cup games:

P11 L11 F2 A26 Pts 0

How come more is not made of this?

At the back end of the season that is an absolutely disgusting surrender.

Talk about giving up!

That game against Liverpool where they broke record for most passes or possession or some shit was the definition of how embarrassing we had become.

Yes it was Liverpool but we Literally looked like an amateur pub team who had won a competition to play a training game against then.

I don't think we were the worst Premier League team (that's Derby's honour), but we weren't far off.

In my 40+ years of watching Utd, that's the worse Utd team I've ever seen, we were consistently bad. Every week. We only scored 20 goals FFS.

Knowing that if the opponents scored first, it was almost certain we would lose was depressing. We were relegated from November.

Pitiful

I don't think we were the worst Premier League team (that's Derby's honour), but we weren't far off.

In my 40+ years of watching Utd, that's the worse Utd team I've ever seen, we were consistently bad. Every week. We only scored 20 goals FFS.

Knowing that if the opponents scored first, it was almost certain we would lose was depressing. We were relegated from November.

Pitiful
It was bad but no where near the worst Blades line up in the last 40 years

All time worst PL teams:
our gd is better than watfords

I don't get that we were the worst ever last season. Not a chance.

Look at how many games we lost by a single goal, especially at home.

How many games were we level and one goal either way would swing it?

The difference to the season before was that if we went 1 down, there was no way we could come back from that.

So many games lost by one goal. Look at how many draws (or lack of) we achieved that year. Add on 8 draws from games we lost narrowly by 1, and we "nearly" survived.

We were just toothless.

Edit: 17 1 goal defeats that season

our gd is better than watfords
Our record last season: scored 20, conceded 63. Difference -43.

Watford this season: scored 34, conceded 77. Difference -43.

I know maths isn't always your strongest suit but those goal differences are equal therefore the next tie breaker would be goals scored. Watford better ours by 14.

Our record last season: scored 20, conceded 63. Difference -43.

Watford this season: scored 34, conceded 77. Difference -43.

I know maths isn't always your strongest suit but those goal differences are equal therefore the next tie breaker would be goals scored. Watford better ours by 14.
I think he meant this season our GD is better than Watford's 😂

Back
Top Bottom