This Squad is Good Enough

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Wes...No.
Grbic no.
Davies no.
Anel no.
Trusty no.
Jack no.
Hamer no
Norwood no
Brooks no
RND no
Other Davies...not sure.
Archer no.
BBB maybe.
Osula no
Jebbison no
McBurnie no
Brewster no
Souza no
Osborn no.

I'd say you could catch my drift on the topic.

This squad is good enough. To finish top 4 in the Championship, though that's purely academic as some of them won't be here next season.

But despite the lack of quality it should be doing better than what we're seeing. Neither manager has got the best out of these players to at least give us some pride in their performances, in so small measure because our lamentable board hasn't tried anything different. If we were Unidos de Sheffield we'd be on our third coach by now.

Through the almost impenetrable gloom we should be seeing this as an opportunity. We have longer than practically any other club in England to prepare for next season as we already know for sure which division we'll be playing in..

You'd think a sensible organisation would already be planning where it needs to adapt. Which players should go, which should be offered new contracts, sounding out potential targets where possible - including managers. This would give us a head start on every one of next year's Championship sides.

Fat chance of that.

I’ve said this before and been ridiculed for it but my opinion has not changed after the JTW, we should not be where we are in the league because our current squad is way better than how they are preforming.

Forget not having enough money, forget about poor scouting and recruitment, I’m talking about the current players we have had since the close of the STW and the players we have brought in during the JTW.

Forget about formations, tactics and the starting 11, injures happen everywhere, just think about the squad, the players the manager has to pick from on match day and how they have lined up against whoever we are playing.

They are better that Burnley, Luton, Scabs, Fulham and Brentford they are as good as Palace, Everton, Brentford and Bournemouth.

Yes we absolutely should be in a relegation scrap, the players just aren’t good enough for mid table but we should be around 20-25 points and have some hope.

The reason we aren’t is something is busted within the DNA of our club, it could be a person, a process. a mentality or any number of other things, the point is until its identified and fixed we will remain in our natural place in the football league (mid to upper table Championship), whoever is on the pitch.
We are not good enough . The table does not lie

In panic,I’ve just looked at the table,yep we are course to be the worst team ever in the Premier,most goals conceded,least wins ,most 5’s against us,most supporters ever walking out after 20+ minutes,never putting a tackle in before 75 minutes. A manager who plays 2 in the middle against a rather quick counter attacking team. I think there’s hope. 🙄

I'm currently watching Brentford play Man City and I have to say Brentford are a team who we should aspire to be like. Medium sized club, bit of a tinpot stadium but their manager appointments, recruitment, determination, organisation and style of play are miles ahead of us

They’re miles off it and have been all season. Saturday was as telling as any other game we’ve been well beaten in. The only way we can create any chance of scoring is to commit players forward and overload target areas.

As soon as we do that we are overrun by much more athletic and much more technically gifted players, almost every game. We don’t have the technical, tactical and physical prowess to defend 1 v 1 or 2 v 2. We need to outnumber teams in those situations to have any chance at either end of the pitch and they’re too clever and too talented for us to find ourselves in those situations. On the rare occasion we land on one in their third, we don’t have enough quality to take the chance more often than not.

Sometimes you’re just not good enough and we all know the reason why we’re not. It’s the reason why we normally can’t kick on when we start to show any signs of succeeding. As they say, same old same old.

Anyone that thinks this team/squad is anywhere near the required level is either blinded by love, is deluded, or both.

I’ve said this before and been ridiculed for it but my opinion has not changed after the JTW, we should not be where we are in the league because our current squad is way better than how they are preforming.

Forget not having enough money, forget about poor scouting and recruitment, I’m talking about the current players we have had since the close of the STW and the players we have brought in during the JTW.

Forget about formations, tactics and the starting 11, injures happen everywhere, just think about the squad, the players the manager has to pick from on match day and how they have lined up against whoever we are playing.

They are better that Burnley, Luton, Scabs, Fulham and Brentford they are as good as Palace, Everton, Brentford and Bournemouth.

Yes we absolutely should be in a relegation scrap, the players just aren’t good enough for mid table but we should be around 20-25 points and have some hope.

The reason we aren’t is something is busted within the DNA of our club, it could be a person, a process. a mentality or any number of other things, the point is until its identified and fixed we will remain in our natural place in the football league (mid to upper table Championship), whoever is on the pitch.
It's not good enough but it's way better than 4 0 down after 30 minutes against an out of form villa team

Totally get your point, just like when you cobble together a squad of journeymen, free transfers and league 1 rejects, no matter how well you drill the team, no matter how well they gel together, no matter how much the management. team and fans have a feeling of oneness, they are never ever going to get to the Premier League, never mind get to 9th are they?

That team that finished 9th was playing as a sum greater than it’s individual parts.

Plus our key player that season was a player who was already previously a premier league player who was being mentioned for a possible call up to French national team (before KFC came calling)

You are bonkers completely bonkers

This squad is good enough. To finish top 4 in the Championship, though that's purely academic as some of them won't be here next season.

But despite the lack of quality it should be doing better than what we're seeing. Neither manager has got the best out of these players to at least give us some pride in their performances, in so small measure because our lamentable board hasn't tried anything different. If we were Unidos de Sheffield we'd be on our third coach by now.

Through the almost impenetrable gloom we should be seeing this as an opportunity. We have longer than practically any other club in England to prepare for next season as we already know for sure which division we'll be playing in..

You'd think a sensible organisation would already be planning where it needs to adapt. Which players should go, which should be offered new contracts, sounding out potential targets where possible - including managers. This would give us a head start on every one of next year's Championship sides.

Fat chance of that.
Great post but far too sensible.

We have not one strategic thinker in our club . The point you make about us having the most time to prepare is spot on - will we use it wisely ? Doubt it

Back
Top Bottom