This Squad is Good Enough

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

BladeByChoice

Reaction score
I’ve said this before and been ridiculed for it but my opinion has not changed after the JTW, we should not be where we are in the league because our current squad is way better than how they are preforming.

Forget not having enough money, forget about poor scouting and recruitment, I’m talking about the current players we have had since the close of the STW and the players we have brought in during the JTW.

Forget about formations, tactics and the starting 11, injures happen everywhere, just think about the squad, the players the manager has to pick from on match day and how they have lined up against whoever we are playing.

They are better that Burnley, Luton, Scabs, Fulham and Brentford they are as good as Palace, Everton, Brentford and Bournemouth.

Yes we absolutely should be in a relegation scrap, the players just aren’t good enough for mid table but we should be around 20-25 points and have some hope.

The reason we aren’t is something is busted within the DNA of our club, it could be a person, a process. a mentality or any number of other things, the point is until its identified and fixed we will remain in our natural place in the football league (mid to upper table Championship), whoever is on the pitch.

I’ve said this before and been ridiculed for it but my opinion has not changed after the JTW, we should not be where we are in the league because our current squad is way better than how they are preforming.

Forget not having enough money, forget about poor scouting and recruitment, I’m talking about the current players we have had since the close of the STW and the players we have brought in during the JTW.

Forget about formations, tactics and the starting 11, injures happen everywhere, just think about the squad, the players the manager has to pick from on match day and how they have lined up against whoever we are playing.

They are better that Burnley, Luton, Scabs, Fulham and Brentford they are as good as Palace, Everton, Brentford and Bournemouth.

Yes we absolutely should be in a relegation scrap, the players just aren’t good enough for mid table but we should be around 20-25 points and have some hope.

The reason we aren’t is something is busted within the DNA of our club, it could be a person, a process. a mentality or any number of other things, the point is until its identified and fixed we will remain in our natural place in the football league (mid to upper table Championship), whoever is on the pitch.
You are quite right, it's down to a person, all fucking eleven of them that are supposedly proud to to wear the shirt and perform on the pitch.

Tell me you're on the scouting team, without telling me you're on the scouting team.

McAtee and BBD would not get a regular start for any other Prem team either. McAtee might get a fair bit of game time at Burnley and Luton but BBD wouldn't.
The reason he is a Prem player is because we went for him, another unopposed and unchallenged signing. He came from a club desperate to offload him for a while, and to get him we had to compete with no-one.

better than ... Scabs, Fulham and Brentford they are as good as Palace, Everton, Brentford and Bournemouth.
No offense but that's an absolutely mental take.

We finished our last match with two players on the pitch that one of those teams' fans would tell you are in their all time worst 11, never mind their current squad.

No it isn't........ ;).

No it is not Clearly.

There are individuals within the squad that would make it into other sides, agreed, but the big issue i have with what you have stated is regarding the squad. We may be able to field a starting 11 which can compete, we've shown that we can compete:
Forest Away, Luton Home (for part of the game), first 20 mins v Newcastle, last 20 mins v Man City at home, Man U home at times, Wolves in patches, West ham much of the game, Brighton away in patches, Brentford, Palace away first half, Everton at Home, in patches, perhaps Villa away at times, Spurs away at times in an attempted smash and grab. There has not been a single game apart from West Ham and Brentford where we have looked the better side over 90 mins. But we can go at teams in spells.

The problem we have is the squad is being propped up with many youngsters, there isn't the depth, we've perhaps got a couple of positions with like for like quality: Diaz / Archer / McAtee can all play that left or right sided striker in a three. Baldock / Bogle down the right.

But unfortunately we've demonstrated that the likes of Egan, Trusty, Anel just haven't been good enough, Robinson has stepped up, but i think is playing on his limits. Hamer and Souza have shown spells, but just aren't doing it consistently. Outside of that we're often woeful.

It's not often that i think that we don't have a chance, the DNA of the club is about being that underdog, back to the Bassett, Warnock, Clough and Wilder first time sides, we showed that we can face anyone and give them a game. We were like a cup side and perhaps why we've done alright in FA and League cups over the last 30 years to get to a number of semi finals. Even last season we did well. We can punch above our weight

I don't think it's down to one person, i think some of the signings will eventually do alright, maybe not here, but the timing isn't right for a number of them.

The depth of the squad is key, we've had some horrendous long term injuries which has affected the squad and weakened it, but it wasn't strong in the first place.

We can look around at some other sides and their benches are often stronger than their first teams. The recent clampdown by the authorities means that clubs are taking FFP more seriously and will trim their squads, but they'll get rid of the waste and still have stronger squads than us.

We need a championship rebuild. We need to tie a few players down to longer deals and build again. Saturday could either be a turning point or a confirmation of where we deserve to be. Right now we're where we deserve to be.

I've often said don't under estimate "team ethic, workrate and organisation".
We were a great example of this when we came up with Wilder, still don't rate that team on an individual level
and notice how no teams came in to buy any of our star players, because none of our players were considered good enough for the PL.

This season Luton are doing the same and having great success.
They are a very ordinary hard working team but have added 2 free transfer players of star quality into midfield and it's worked well for them.

Think our problem is down to the over relevance on N'Diaye last season masking how ordinary we were as a team last season.
Also our pre season planning was ripped into tatters when N'Diaye was sold a week before the season started.
So under Hecky the whole mentality was "we've no realistic chance" and we never had a team system/tactics.

Wilder has come in but looks like heads have dropped again.
The good news is that next season is a fresh start, anything could happen, pre-season planning will be key.

Scabs have spent hundreds of millions and you think our squad is as good as theirs? They have players not even making their match day squad that would start for us.

I think some are mistaking a team full of zero confident players clearly not playing well, which is understandable, without looking at individual players

I’m not going to say many but we have some who would get, at very worst, would be contending on a weekly basis if not actually starting

McBurnie if healthy would have that opportunity for Luton, infact I wouldn’t be surprised to see them look at him in summer, his link up play and ball retention alone would be ideal for them, in fact I bet if he could stay healthy Dyche would be interested in him as well, maybe not starting ahead of DLC but maybe a bench option

George would get a look in as well

Hamer has something about him and his ability to score as well would get him starts in a few if he had a good run, yes right now he might be struggling but let’s not mistake that for no one would look at him

Have you been drinking mate? We are shocking . If you think of us as a Reliant Robin lining up on the grid at Silverstone hoping to win the British Grand Prix you have my thoughts on the quality we have in this squad . No matter who the driver might be the Reliant Robin just aint going to compete pal . No matter how often you change the driver it won't happen .

Have you been drinking mate? We are shocking . If you think of us as a Reliant Robin lining up on the grid at Silverstone hoping to win the British Grand Prix you have my thoughts on the quality we have in this squad . No matter who the driver might be the Reliant Robin just aint going to compete pal . No matter how often you change the driver it won't happen .
Totally get your point, just like when you cobble together a squad of journeymen, free transfers and league 1 rejects, no matter how well you drill the team, no matter how well they gel together, no matter how much the management. team and fans have a feeling of oneness, they are never ever going to get to the Premier League, never mind get to 9th are they?

1707150332818.gif

Totally get your point, just like when you cobble together a squad of journeymen, free transfers and league 1 rejects, no matter how well you drill the team, no matter how well they gel together, no matter how much the management. team and fans have a feeling of oneness, they are never ever going to get to the Premier League, never mind get to 9th are they?

This is a different team though.

The 19-20 vintage was a team in every sense of the word, players playing for each other, players with a point to prove, players who would fly in to tackles, chase and harry like their lives depended on it.

Now you've got overpaid journeymen, mercenaries with half an eye on the next move and payday, and players who are overhyped and believe their own bullshit.

1707150645889.png

I think this here is the crux of it. We should be in a relegation scrap, and under normal Blades conditions, we would be in a relegation scrap. However, we’re just not scrapping.

We lost 5-0 to Burnley, who are by pretty much all measurable metrics, a pile of garbage this season, so I’m not sure how we’re supposed to be ‘better than’ a bunch of teams
By far one of the closest 5-0 losses we've had though. Three of their goals came in the last twenty minutes when we'd been down to 10 for a while. Without that they'd have barely got four.

Well i get your point to mate but when we got to ninth our recruitment was much smarter then what it is now . We signed some decent players at the end of their contracts with their clubs who grew with us from league one .Unfortunately up to recently we were still relying on those same players from a few years ago .Luton are in a much the same position as we were when we had a remarkable rise up the prem . Some good signings some good loans and some great freebies . Our better players like Dias and Mactee are not ours and along with Archer I feel wont be with us in the championship next year so what are we left with? Along with a lot out of contract it makes me wonder what we will be left with having no cash to spend . Interesting.

No this squad is not good enough for the prem because we've got Wilder who's the manager that's best fit for us and he's got to stay next season no matter what. We must trust him to take us back up to the prem with a team of nothing.

Back
Top Bottom