These are them - New Kits 20/21 - 'leak'

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Fair point. I do agree you will never please everyone, however, still say the majority would not vote for this shirt if there were three or four credible alternatives. We cannot prove it either way but just my hunch.

Well I've seen some real support for some absolutely horrendous concept kits so to be honest, I'm quite happy to surrender my ability to vote and leave it to the professionals. So we get a kit with a couple of things we would like to change, but overall it's not offensive and it looks smart so I'll take it.

I'd rather they got a professional designer who supported us in than leave it to the public. I'd get behind that.

Well I've seen some real support for some absolutely horrendous concept kits so to be honest, I'm quite happy to surrender my ability to vote and leave it to the professionals. So we get a kit with a couple of things we would like to change, but overall it's not offensive and it looks smart so I'll take it.

I'd rather they got a professional designer who supported us in than leave it to the public. I'd get behind that.
Don't need to be a professional designer to design a kit, just my opinion.

Don't need to be a professional designer to design a kit, just my opinion.

Maybe not, I've dabbled and got some praise and I'm not professional.

But mainly I'd just want one knowledgeable fan appointed rather than leaving it to votes.

People don't know what they want, and votes create division, one person needs to make the decision based on wider fan feel from social media etc, if they're handy with Photoshop and know the club's history that'd be great.

Says the club ( 🤣 ) yet it was very much conspicuous by its absence in the stands. Maybe folk bought it to wear as a nightie or something...?

I saw plenty personally, and this was before DHGate gave a shit and people cheaped out on the knockoffs so it's not that hard to believe.

I mean, if anyone had any problem with that then arguably they're just being a bit of a knob.

I'll bite.

For me, yours was far too stripey (stripes on the sleeves often looks naff) and didn't feature enough black. Looked like far more of a Sunderland shirt than a Sheffield United one.

Not being a knob, I just know what makes a good Blades shirt for me personally!

Maybe not, I've dabbled and got some praise and I'm not professional.

But mainly I'd just want one knowledgeable fan appointed rather than leaving it to votes.

People don't know what they want, and votes create division, one person needs to make the decision based on wider fan feel from social media etc, if they're handy with Photoshop and know the club's history that'd be great.
I agree, all it needs is someone with a good rounded view of what fans generally want, and what is popular.

Without wishing to sound totally pompous, I think I probably have a decent gauge on that (only from seeing a lot of comments about kits on the forum), but many others will too.

Adding in unnecessary and controversial details to the shirt would be somewhere near the top of the things to 'avoid' list.

Stop being prissy its a fucking football shirt
This is our fucking club. This 'football shirt' is representative of the club and the fans. It's shit. I don't want to see my club turning out in a shit kit on MOTD every week which makes us look like Fulham or Derby from behind. Would you have the same attitude if the stripes on the 'it's a fucking football shirt' were blue and white?

I'll bite.

For me, yours was far too stripey (stripes on the sleeves often looks naff) and didn't feature enough black. Looked like far more of a Sunderland shirt than a Sheffield United one.

Not being a knob, I just know what makes a good Blades shirt for me personally!
You said stripes on the sleeves looks naff, your opinion is now invalid Sir.

It's almost as if people have different tastes. Some will like Shirt (A), some will like Shirt (B) and some will like Shirt(C). Some will even like a little from column 1 a bit from column 2 and a detail from column 3. Funnily enough, just like all fashion / clothes. Not everyone likes a Fred Perry Polo and Adidas Sambas. 🤷‍♂️

If you put three shirts to people to vote on, you’d probably have a reasonable split of views. If the options were on the back design between full stripes, solid back or mostly solid back, I’m pretty sure you’d have full stripes the clear winner. While not getting fans to decide the exact kit, I don’t really get why it would be a nightmare for the club to ask a general question to feed into the next design...

If you put three shirts to people to vote on, you’d probably have a reasonable split of views. If the options were on the back design between full stripes, solid back or mostly solid back, I’m pretty sure you’d have full stripes the clear winner. While not getting fans to decide the exact kit, I don’t really get why it would be a nightmare for the club to ask a general question to feed into the next design...

I suspect you'd get around a 33/33/33% split. It also depends hugely on who you ask. If you ask here you'll get a different outcome to if you asked around local schools in the South of the city or the Moms and Dads wandering around Meadowhall.

Shirt designers will know full well the best approach for designing a shirt. Given that there are associated costs and budgets with any design, be it cars, shoes, houses or football shirts, they will be factoring those ideas/themes/concepts along with club history, iconic silhouettes, colourways, historic sales figures, manager and board opinions, fans outcry from previous years etc. etc. etc. It's a balancing act and striking gold is like capturing lightning in a bottle.

Asking the fans might be a good idea once a decade but to do it every year would basically result in the team having the same, mediocre, kit every year. Design by comity rarely results in something interesting.

I suspect you'd get around a 33/33/33% split. It also depends hugely on who you ask. If you ask here you'll get a different outcome to if you asked around local schools in the South of the city or the Moms and Dads wandering around Meadowhall.

Shirt designers will know full well the best approach for designing a shirt. Given that there are associated costs and budgets with any design, be it cars, shoes, houses or football shirts, they will be factoring those ideas/themes/concepts along with club history, iconic silhouettes, colourways, historic sales figures, manager and board opinions, fans outcry from previous years etc. etc. etc. It's a balancing act and striking gold is like capturing lightning in a bottle.

Asking the fans might be a good idea once a decade but to do it every year would basically result in the team having the same, mediocre, kit every year. Design by comity rarely results in something interesting.

I sort of agree, the fans input should be about the components that have to be there rather than design/style, so checking these every 5-10 years makes sense. Manager and board can generally sod off (Didn't Bassett come up with the diamond kit?).

We should have unchanging components; red and white stripes on the shirt, black shorts (white and red just don't work) and then the others are checked with consensus of the time. I have my preferences that are the opposite of many fans, for instance I wouldn't have any black pinstriping on the home shirt some think that is a distinctive thing for us. I don't think we've ever bettered the kits of the early 1970s but, as the season kit change is here to stay, slight variations of that every season would soon get boring, repetitive and stop selling.

I sort of agree, the fans input should be about the components that have to be there rather than design/style, so checking these every 5-10 years makes sense. Manager and board can generally sod off (Didn't Bassett come up with the diamond kit?).

We should have unchanging components; red and white stripes on the shirt, black shorts (white and red just don't work) and then the others are checked with consensus of the time. I have my preferences that are the opposite of many fans, for instance I wouldn't have any black pinstriping on the home shirt some think that is a distinctive thing for us. I don't think we've ever bettered the kits of the early 1970s but, as the season kit change is here to stay, slight variations of that every season would soon get boring, repetitive and stop selling.

The musts

Red and white stripes
Black shorts
Black trim
Red stripe in the middle

The preferables

Stripes all the way up on the back
Stripes on the sleeves
No butchers stripes

The 'some would prefer'

Black pinstripes
Hooped socks
Traditional style style collar

I dont really see why people get their knickers in a twist about the home kits...they're always red and white stripes (diamond kit aside!), and they change on a yearly basis, and the team wear it 20 odd times a year. They're all much of a muchness to me and after a game or two you dont really notice. The exception was the white kit which was just daft really especially when teams wore red at the lane!

I think it's more that we'll look like shit knobheads for a full season, with no option to change it.

Absolute dog shit. adidas are just fucking lazy, they knock out a template and stick whichever clubs badge on it, the socks and shorts are same as last season for fucks sake. You'd think they'd change em to sell a few more, but people will just wear the same socks and shorts that they bought last year as they're identical. Not even a little blades badge on the socks for fucks sake. I was happy when we switched to adidas but I'd give anything for Umbro, Puma or Hummel to be our supplier

4424-52.jpg
4948-39.jpg

Technically not identical 😉

The musts

Red and white stripes
Black shorts
Black trim
Red stripe in the middle

The preferables

Stripes all the way up on the back
Stripes on the sleeves
No butchers stripes

The 'some would prefer'

Black pinstripes
Hooped socks
Traditional style style collar

You see there would be disagreement already on your musts list. As said I prefer no black trim at all on the shirt, we managed without it from 1889 to 1975, so it doesn't say, "Sheffield United" having it on there to me.

You see there would be disagreement already on your musts list. As said I prefer no black trim at all on the shirt, we managed without it from 1889 to 1975, so it doesn't say, "Sheffield United" having it on there to me.

Good point. Think after changing to our current badge though from the coat of arms, there's more expectation and acceptance of some black being in there somewhere.

I do like a red V neck personally, the championship promotion shirt was so close from the front. Make that with stripes on the back and you've got a generations favourite United shirt.

Pretend I put 'trim' down in the some would prefer section.

You think a third of fans would answer “solid back” to a basic question on what they would prefer a shirt’s reverse side to be? I’d be amazed if it were any more than 10% personally.

May I approach the chair Sir, and request black pin stripes? I will allow white shorts in exchange. Sir! We were promised black shorts! The Eckloth branch is willing to cede to 6 stripes on the front, if we can have sock tassels back. Sir! I protest this outrage. Once again the Sandbridge and Outers Club is colluding with the Whendles and Gentleman's to stitch - if I may pardon the pun - us up again! If the Chairmen spent more time with fans than with the waitress at the ginger cafe... Sir! I protest!
Order, Order, gentleman. If we can get back to business, Rule 1.01: The home shirts must have 5 red stripes with the red in the middle. Now any objection?
Knock! Konck! "Sir, its Adidas on the line, they want to know if you've emailed the new design yet?"

Good point. Think after changing to our current badge though from the coat of arms, there's more expectation and acceptance of some black being in there somewhere.

I do like a red V neck personally, the championship promotion shirt was so close from the front. Make that with stripes on the back and you've got a generations favourite United shirt.

Pretend I put 'trim' down in the some would prefer section.

True about the badge, I suppose but it also has yellow/gold in it and I wouldn't want that near the shirt. 😁

It's not hard to get right. I hope they consult the fans next season.
What? Potentially 40,000 fans all gauging an opinion like they're Karl Lagerfeld or Michael Kors? Yeah, I can see United rolling up to Adidas with Dave from Hackenthorpe's design of red and white stripes, no collar, black pinstripes, all red back... Followed by little Timmy's crayola drawing of red and white stripes, black shorts and red socks.

You get what you're given with Adidas. Unless you're Man U or Real Madrid, that's it, stock kit.

You think a third of fans would answer “solid back” to a basic question on what they would prefer a shirt’s reverse side to be? I’d be amazed if it were any more than 10% personally.

No. But again, designers know what they're doing. Even if they/the Club were to open the discussion up with the fans, the three options would already be within the 'corporate guidelines' of the clubs identity. It would never be - Option A - Newcastle with Red Trim. Option B - Burnley but in our colours. Option C - Same as last year with a new collar.

It'd likely be, for argument's sake, 3 concepts that in broad strokes are the same but with conceptual differences - 1) Fat Stripes 2) Thin Stripes 3) Stripes stop 2/3rd of the way up the front. At that point, the fans get consulted, via some sort of far reaching vote, on which of those 3 concepts gets developed into a final design.

Back
Top Bottom