The Team to keep us up

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Or better yet Chris should pull his finger out and make him a decent header dudes built for it and is our tallest player just needs to be shown the way surely that's got to be better than just tossing a huge player away for set pieces makes zero sense

Any formation change can't have four at the back due to the lack of capable centre back partners for Egan. Nor can we play with only two central midfield players - due to the lack of both mobility and tackling ability in the midfield. That leaves us very few options. Most of them amount to changing the forward options. I would go Brewster and Didz or Mcburnie, with Moose or Burke to come on later in games.
I'd also be tempted to try Bogle at the right of the midfield three due to his athleticism and assist numbers. Osborn should be playing LWB due to his performances last season and this.

Last edited:
Hello, Stegosaurus here

New Keeper

New right back basham ampadu new left back

Berge New Midfielder Freeman (Recalled)

Brewster McBurnie Burke

Very few of these posts suggesting McGoldrick gets a game. Didn't we do a lot better last season in the games he started, even though he hardly scored?
He seems like a forgotten man this season. Also if we played him we might start playing the ball through the midfield instead of the constant long ball football, which normally ends up with the other side mounting constant waves of attacks. I know last season we were happy to concede a lot of possession but this season the pattern has been for us to be constantly on the back foot, defending resolutely for 60-70 minutes. Then a lapse of concentration and we concede. Possession stats then become more in our favour as the opposition sit back for a fairly comfortable 1 goal win.

Very few of these posts suggesting McGoldrick gets a game. Didn't we do a lot better last season in the games he started, even though he hardly scored?
He seems like a forgotten man this season. Also if we played him we might start playing the ball through the midfield instead of the constant long ball football, which normally ends up with the other side mounting constant waves of attacks. I know last season we were happy to concede a lot of possession but this season the pattern has been for us to be constantly on the back foot, defending resolutely for 60-70 minutes. Then a lapse of concentration and we concede. Possession stats then become more in our favour as the opposition sit back for a fairly comfortable 1 goal win.
Who would you play beside him?

Who would you play beside him?

Well not having Mousset available all season hasn't helped. I think I'd go with Burke at the minute because Didzy could probably thread better balls through to him. I wouldn't mind if we gave Brewster the game time and like derekacorah I've nothing against McBurnie just the way we're currently playing with him in the team.

Another thing I liked occurred when Ampadu played when Egan was suspended. He dropped back into the penalty area to pick the ball up off Ramsdale..I' rather see us build more slowly from the back as our 'gerritforward' policy is seeing us turnover the ball too quickly. We're letting the opposition have far too much of the ball this season. I know there were times last year when we soaked up lots of pressure but we weren't as wasteful when we got it back and our defence was more organised when JOC was in the side.

We've got to try something, anything as this just isn't working anymore. Someone needs to get Einstein's quote framed and stuck on the wall in CW's office.

I don't even subscribe to the theory that we can't change formation due to the players we have all being bought to fit into our current formation.

Not saying which would be best but all the below would be doable with the players we have and can't be any worse.

...........................Rambo........................................
..........Bash........Egan.......Stevens/Bryan.........
George.....Berge......Fleck.....Osbourne/Stevens
..............McB/McG........Burke.............................
............................Brewster......................................

............................Rambo.........................................
.......Bash .............Egan......Stevens/Bryan........
George... Berge..... Fleck...... Osbourne/Stevens
.....McB/McG,....Brewster....... Burke.........

...........................Rambo.....................................
George...Bash..........Egan..........Stevens
........................Norwood..................................
Loan Signing...Berge...Fleck....Burke.....
.....................Brewster/McB............................

...........................Rambo....................................
George.....Bash.........Egan..........Stevens
...........Berge...............Norwood....................
Loan Signing....McG............Burke.............
....................Brewster/McB............................

..........................Rambo...................................
George...Bash........Egan..........Stevens
......Lunny.......Berge.........Fleck..................
..McB/McG...Brewster...Burke..................
Id go with either 343 or 433 we need more attacking options up front

Well not having Mousset available all season hasn't helped. I think I'd go with Burke at the minute because Didzy could probably thread better balls through to him. I wouldn't mind if we gave Brewster the game time and like derekacorah I've nothing against McBurnie just the way we're currently playing with him in the team.

Another thing I liked occurred when Ampadu played when Egan was suspended. He dropped back into the penalty area to pick the ball up off Ramsdale..I' rather see us build more slowly from the back as our 'gerritforward' policy is seeing us turnover the ball too quickly. We're letting the opposition have far too much of the ball this season. I know there were times last year when we soaked up lots of pressure but we weren't as wasteful when we got it back and our defence was more organised when JOC was in the side.
Yeah my preference would be mousset then Burke or brewster as well, I'd be more inclined to play mcgoldrick as a cam behind 2 strikers atm though he has a great long shot on him and can thread a pass

Not sure if you're away but you need to score goals to win a game of football and you think Didzy and Burke upfront will score?

Not sure if you're away but you need to score goals to win a game of football and you think Didzy and Burke upfront will score?
I'm actually not too fussed who plays alongside him. Last season we got results and looked at our best when Didzy played and this season we seem to have binned him off already but the quality of our football is far worse.

If we can keep the ball for longer the defence won't end up under constant pressure and despite our poor finishing we should still score more. I'm trying to turn these constant defeats by 1 goal into draws and 1 goal wins.

I’m unsure if Basham or Egan can play as a two in a back four.
Basham was never convincing there under Clough and Brentford fans were convinced Egan couldn’t defend when we signed him for £4m - perhaps their logic was based on him playing in a back 4?

I’m unsure if Basham or Egan can play as a two in a back four.
Basham was never convincing there under Clough and Brentford fans were convinced Egan couldn’t defend when we signed him for £4m - perhaps their logic was based on him playing in a back 4?

Perhaps on the other hand , we would be far less exposed down the middle than has been the case time after time this season , if we were to play with 2 centre backs rather than just one .

Perhaps on the other hand , we would be far less exposed down the middle than has been the case time after time this season , if we were to play with 2 centre backs rather than just one .
I think our back line would be more settled in a 4 as they dont need to worry about attacking and can just purely focus on defending without having to worry about 'overlaps'

I think our back line would be more settled in a 4 as they dont need to worry about attacking and can just purely focus on defending without having to worry about 'overlaps'
Confidence is at an all time low at the minute and i think making it simpler for the team will help them and give them confidence. No need to complicate things with the 'overlaps'. Let the defenders defend and attackers attack.

Exactly so , and the fact that the overlaps have become almost non-existent hardly supports the argument for sticking rigidly to our current system .

The one Wilder picks.

Exactly so , and the fact that the overlaps have become almost non-existent hardly supports the argument for sticking rigidly to our current system .
i personally cant see what wilder thinks is going to happen if we continue with the 5-3-2 however we've looked alot better in games when we have changed to 4 at the back

Confidence is at an all time low at the minute and i think making it simpler for the team will help them and give them confidence. No need to complicate things with the 'overlaps'. Let the defenders defend and attackers attack.
we should definetly go to a back 4 next season if were in the championship and play 433 norrington davies lb and enda would be good enough at lcb if joc goes we can still play a holding midfielder in the middle 3 maybe get besic back im confident we would come back up at the first time of asking providing the squad isnt decimated by sales

we should definetly go to a back 4 next season if were in the championship and play 433 norrington davies lb and enda would be good enough at lcb if joc goes we can still play a holding midfielder in the middle 3 maybe get besic back im confident we would come back up at the first time of asking providing the squad isnt decimated by sales
I would be more than happy for us to play the 5-3-2 next year aslong as we have quality players in the positions we lack quality and also adequate back up. Next season we can regroup, tweak the tactics abit and just overall improve the style of play and how we play in the system but for now i think the 4 at the back is a must.

I’d say our current top scorer has as much chance as the rest of scoring.

.Ramsdale

Baldock-Basham-Egan-Amapdu-Stevens

Fleck ——-Norwood

BERGE

Brewster —- Mcburnie

Somethings got to change tactically we need our best player on the ball the most and that’s Berge who would be a monster in the duffy role

99% of all our problems come from down the left we’re basically playing with a league one LCB and an average championship LB we need enda back massively and ampadu who can keep the ball. If we keep with Lowe/Bryan we may aswell be playing with one leg

If we can keep that line up that played against Liverpool injury free we still have a good chance of getting 6 more points than Burnley/West Brom & fulham

UTB

The teams to keep us up are Fulham, Burnley and West Brom.

Another one knocking McBergkamp.......

On a serious note, Norwood and Fleck? In a two? Surely a joke?
Didn't we get promoted with these two together? Duffy just in front. Though that was when we were having more than 30% of the ball!

You look at the options and player form and the midfield just looks shot.

We've been on the losing side playing 3 centre backs in all but one of our games this season.

If folks are saying the current defence can't play in a 2, there are at least 10 exhibits to say they can't play in a 3 either!

We've been on the losing side playing 3 centre backs in all but one of our games this season.

If folks are saying the current defence can't play in a 2, there are at least 10 exhibits to say they can't play in a 3 either!
thing is if our right and left centre backs dont overlap anymore whats the point having 3 there most teams nowadays only play with 1 striker go to a back 4 with the protection of a holding midfielder and play 433 weve nothing to lose now this season hate watching us play this type of football would sooner go out with a bang if were going out

I see O'Connell is back on a bike and in the gym. I'd be tempted to chuck him in, if only for 20 minutes here and there. We'll lose him next season so might as well get what we can from him. UTB.🙃

thing is if our right and left centre backs dont overlap anymore whats the point having 3 there most teams nowadays only play with 1 striker go to a back 4 with the protection of a holding midfielder and play 433 weve nothing to lose now this season hate watching us play this type of football would sooner go out with a bang if were going out
Agree but think we would be better off playing mcgoldrick or mcburnie behind two strikers stick an out and out striker like brewster or Billy on the left that are good with both feet and a utility striker that is pacey or strong like mousset, Burke or mcburnie on the right

I think we need to be signing rojo from Manure on january 1st that would help

This.^^^

We play the same formation but the system has changed. The formation was effective when we played overlapping centre backs and overloaded the flanks. Given we don't do that anymore why stick so rigidly to a formation that doesn't seem to work anymore?

Back
Top Bottom