The reason for Fleck's anonymity

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

So basically when fleck plays badly it's Norwood ( or madines)fault and we should change the whole system that has got is in promotion contention to the richest league I the world

There's always room for improvement, for any team irrespective of their achievements.

When his involvement in matches is more fleeting, he doesn't show what he's capable of when he does get the ball. When we actually started getting the ball to him in the last 20 minutes he began to show signs of doing what he did last season, dominating that left centre area and driving us forward.

He needs more attacking responsibility to show his best form.

The management have to work on getting more out of him. We need to play to his strengths more. We need extra attacking threat, and he's still our best player.

This exactly. There was more room between Birmingham’s midfield and defence towards the end of the game as the defence sat deeper, Fleck then had the room to move forwards with the ball.

Norwood should play and dictate from at least the centre circle, not only is it ineffective but the whole thing of him receiving it so deep slows it all down.

I think the same with Mcgoldrick coming so deep to collect the ball as well. I appreciate his hard work and desire to get onto the ball however, we have Norwood & Fleck in the centre to collect & distribute the ball. For me, McGoldrick is better to receive the ball further up the pitch then bring Duffy/strike partner or wing back into play from there

We play with three effective midfield players.
Norwood sits deep
Duffy plays, primarily in the hole; leaving Fleck to try and find space against 2 and sometimes 3 opposition midfield players.
Noticeably he was much more influential in the final 10 minutes against Birmingham when we committed more men forward and moved the ball quicker.
He has a difficult job to do, with little space to work in but comes into his own when we move it quicker and he has support alongside him.

So you think Fleck is involved?

Sorry, I disagree, the game bypasses him.
To an extent, yes.

And the reasons for this have been much discussed.

It’s NOT Norwood or Madines fault as such, but does offer valid reasons.

Fleck is a quality footballer. Any drop off in form will be temporary.

UTB

Duffy is probably our only player that can glide past a player with ease, however he's hit a bit of a wall recently.

Fleck is more than capable too!

The problem I see is that Fleck excelled alongside Coutts because they would both find pockets in the opposition half and exchange the ball.

Norwood is a different type of weapon who the majority of the time refuses to play short passes, hence Fleck becoming more of a passenger, feeding mostly off scraps and second balls.

It's a tricky one. If we make it to the Prem and continue with the Norwood system, we may want to consider playing a more midfielder enforcer type instead of Fleck. This would allow Norwood further forward, and provide more defensive cover as we'll be under the cosh much much more in that league.

One of the most frustrating things about Fleck is when we decides to run with the ball and beats players, contributing to a goal or decent chance... it happens once every full moon for fuck sake!

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Most teams vs us sit back and we have a system where Norwood seems the go-to player for all attacks. At times from the keeper we're playing with 4 centre halves positionally, because Norwood drops to pick the ball up - completely unnecessarily a lot of the time.

In doing this, teams sitting back then have 1 MC to pick up, there's no wonder there's hardly an outfield ball as we have 4/5 players being covered by 10. Fleck I feel suffers greatly because of this. There's no space for him to offer a pass, this 9/10 Norwood ends up pinging a ball over the top of the full backs, or out wide.

It can be very frustrating as I feel our 3 centre halves are more than comfortable on the ball, particularly when given time. There's no reason for Norwood to become the 4th.

What you know about football you could write on a stamp with a bingo dabber.

What you know about football you could write on a stamp with a bingo dabber.

Rather than post a presumptuous dick like post, why not contribute and explain why?

Then perhaps we can all bow to your superior knowledge.

I won't be getting my hopes up mind.

For me, Fleck has struggled to compliment the Norwood style of play. Nothing wrong with either of them as they are both good ‘ballers. I think that Fleck works better with Coutts who is less of a long diagonal pass and more of an incisive passer, a little more down the midfield channel areas for Fleck n Duffybto run at.

We cored in the week when Duffy took a chance and took a player out the game, creating space for Stevens to shoot. Fleck with his runs also does the same thing. We need more of that when playing against teams who park the bus.

We cored in the week when Duffy took a chance and took a player out the game, creating space for Stevens to shoot. Fleck with his runs also does the same thing. We need more of that when playing against teams who park the bus.
Yes but it has to be in the right areas of the pitch. When we get possession and have control of the ball, we commit men forward. At that point, it’s vital we retain possession or we’re in danger of being caught on the break with players out of position. That’s often also the point where the opposition players are getting back into their defensive position which can be the best time to take a man on. However, by doing so you risk losing posession. This is what Wilder means when he talks about risk and reward; does Fleck, or whoever, take on his man or play a ball to an unmarked player, which is usually a sideways or backwards pass?

As I’ve mentioned, we were very conscious of getting caught on the break so perhaps Fleck was paying more attention to his defensive duties and taking fewer risks against Brum and in other games where losing three points could be very costly. We’re grinding results out now and the shackles are on a little.

Yes but it has to be in the right areas of the pitch. When we get possession and have control of the ball, we commit men forward. At that point, it’s vital we retain possession or we’re in danger of being caught on the break with players out of position. That’s often also the point where the opposition players are getting back into their defensive position which can be the best time to take a man on. However, by doing so you risk losing posession. This is what Wilder means when he talks about risk and reward; does Fleck, or whoever, take on his man or play a ball to an unmarked player, which is usually a sideways or backwards pass?

As I’ve mentioned, we were very conscious of getting caught on the break so perhaps Fleck was paying more attention to his defensive duties and taking fewer risks against Brum and in other games where losing three points could be very costly. We’re grinding results out now and the shackles are on a little.

Agreed. Point I was making that in situations like Wednesday we need to find a way of getting Fleck and Duffy on the ball around the opposition's box and allowing them to have a run at the defence. Even if that means withdrawing the overlapping CBs at times.

I think Fleck would perform better with Coutts in midfield, and for that matter Coutts is better at dictating play than Norwood. However, Norwood probably gives better defensive cover in front of the back 3, witness the number of blanks we've had in the second half of the season. I'm not going to give Norwood stick here, I think he's had a good season, I just feel an effective Coutts and an effective Fleck is a better option than an effective Norwood and an ineffective Fleck.

Is it just me that thinks that Fleck has been one of the weaker performers for a while now?
I think he still has some great moments, but less so than a few months ago.
And I thought his passing/crossing was really poor last night.
No it isn’t. Anyone who actually observed the game can see. He’s slow of foot and thought. He gives the ball away with monotonous regularity, and it’s usually by way of handing clean possession to the opposition in dangerous areas. He’s currently a liability from whom we need a break.

Some people see what they want to see, not what’s actually happening in front of them. Personally I’m more concerned about the team than my bestest player.

Oh, Dem Daft Blades.

I think Fleck would perform better with Coutts in midfield, and for that matter Coutts is better at dictating play than Norwood. However, Norwood probably gives better defensive cover in front of the back 3, witness the number of blanks we've had in the second half of the season. I'm not going to give Norwood stick here, I think he's had a good season, I just feel an effective Coutts and an effective Fleck is a better option than an effective Norwood and an ineffective Fleck.

I agree mate. I like Norwood but his game would be better suited to a more forward position. Coutts needs game time, and although I respect Wilder's reasoning we're far more of a threat with Coutts' influence. Our best midfield included Coutts and it's no coincidence that we've been below par without him alongside Fleck and Duffy.

Rather than post a presumptuous dick like post, why not contribute and explain why?

Then perhaps we can all bow to your superior knowledge.

I won't be getting my hopes up mind.

I thought about it, but then thought how far behind your knowledge is with the modern game and how Wilder is trying to play I decided it would take too long.

I thought about it, but then thought how far behind your knowledge is with the modern game and how Wilder is trying to play I decided it would take too long.

Come on, enlighten me with your superior knowledge. Tell me what is wrong with my observation.

Or...just continue being a prick, suits you.

Back
Top Bottom