The Premier League Effect

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I hope tonight's results in the champions League put to bed the deluded English narrative that the prem is the best league in the world. Uttershite.
Why would it ?
Are you saying because of tonight's results which where close by the way that the French League is better than the Premiership ?
The Premiership is still undecided with 3 teams fighting it out too be Champions.

While
French League PSG 10 points clear with a game in hand and with 5 too play.

German League Leverkusen 16 points clear with 5 too play.

Spanish League Real Madrid 8 points clear with 7 too play but the only team who have any chance of catching them is surprise surprise Barcelona..

The Premiership isn’t perfect but it is the best League in the World and something I want Sheffield United too involved in..

Go back years before money bought the game .
Bury won the league and fa cup yet are now low down non league ranks
Preston Stoke darwin Huddersfield etc etc it was a level playing field where playing for your tiwb was an honour. Players got the bus along with the fans .
Football was affordable for the factory workers
Today football has been bought and the young uns no non different.
We had proper football grounds proper prices and decent footballers who basically represented there town .
Sky TV killed football and now Arab ownership .

19/20 was an amazing year. We were never getting anywhere near 4th.

Both things are true

Not that long ago Man City weren’t in the top league let alone top 6.; a few years ago Newcastle weren’t in the top half
Villa and Brighton are pushing that way at the expense of Chelsea.
Things do change at the top but not as they used to do.
No way it seems of stopping this runaway train.
3 factors that have changed football! there maybe more but these 3 are key , 1 ,maximum wage gone! There was no way of stopping this. 2 , television money, 3 billionaire owners.
Most top division teams were capable of winning the FA cup! Less so winning the league as even then teams which had the biggest squads tended to win it due to the extra revenue bigger gates gave them.

Jimmy Hill was the architect of this downward spiral, by forcing the abolition of a wage cap

Go back years before money bought the game .
Bury won the league and fa cup yet are now low down non league ranks
Preston Stoke darwin Huddersfield etc etc it was a level playing field where playing for your tiwb was an honour. Players got the bus along with the fans .
Football was affordable for the factory workers
Today football has been bought and the young uns no non different.
We had proper football grounds proper prices and decent footballers who basically represented there town .
Sky TV killed football and now Arab ownership .
Most of the grounds became run down ghettos steeped in pre second world war infrastructure
Playing pitches were mud baths and the game became awful to watch as hooliganism took over crowds dropped off the scale
Players smoked a fag at half time and had a pre match meal of steak and chips (with a fag for dessert )
Yep who needs progress

The number of different teams in the top 6 per 10 years

1974 -1983 League Division 1 23 different teams

1984-1993 League Division 1 23 different teams

1994-2003 Premier League 13 different teams

2004 -2013 Premier League 10 different teams

2014- 2023 Premier League 11 different teams

The Premier league is making the top tier less competitive, and the same teams are constantly in the top 6.

This is destroying the opportunities for teams to dream of being successful without risking going into administration
Not sure that those stats really prove the point you’re trying to make.

The premier league has opened up the game to investors with huge amounts of cash to buy up clubs

Founder members of the league like ourselves, Luton, Man City, have been down and back again. We all had ageing grounds back then and now we have or in Luton’s case will have new stands, new grounds and fancy pitches

The premier league has meant clubs like Burnley have become a bigger force in the game than giants like Wednesday.

It’s harder to win the premier league now than ever, I’d say but your stats aren’t showing that really

I hope tonight's results in the champions League put to bed the deluded English narrative that the prem is the best league in the world. Uttershite.

The Premier League is the best league in the world though.

No other league has six teams as good as Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Man Utd, Tottenham and Chelsea.

I know Chelsea are off the pace recently but they won the Champions League a few seasons ago.

Spanish teams are always really strong in the European competitions but Germany, Italy and France are nowhere near.

Most of the grounds became run down ghettos steeped in pre second world war infrastructure
Playing pitches were mud baths and the game became awful to watch as hooliganism took over crowds dropped off the scale
Players smoked a fag at half time and had a pre match meal of steak and chips (with a fag for dessert )
Yep who needs progress
That's when I fell in love with football. I would happily go back to those days, but each to their own.

Back
Top Bottom