The Premier League Effect

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

munksyb

Reaction score
The number of different teams in the top 6 per 10 years

1974 -1983 League Division 1 23 different teams

1984-1993 League Division 1 23 different teams

1994-2003 Premier League 13 different teams

2004 -2013 Premier League 10 different teams

2014- 2023 Premier League 11 different teams

The Premier league is making the top tier less competitive, and the same teams are constantly in the top 6.

This is destroying the opportunities for teams to dream of being successful without risking going into administration

When I were a lad Scottish and Spanish football, for instance, were a complete joke because it was only ever a competition between two teams.

The "Premier" League is heading in that direction and we're all being taken for a ride.

The Premier league is making the top tier less competitive, and the same teams are constantly in the top 6.

This is destroying the opportunities for teams to dream of being successful without risking going into administration
Not that long ago Man City weren’t in the top league let alone top 6.; a few years ago Newcastle weren’t in the top half
Villa and Brighton are pushing that way at the expense of Chelsea.
Things do change at the top but not as they used to do.

When I were a lad Scottish and Spanish football, for instance, were a complete joke because it was only ever a competition between two teams.

The "Premier" League is heading in that direction and we're all being taken for a ride.
You can get off the ride whenever you wish to.

Paddy Power are known for their jokes in advertisements but the most recent about fans celebrating being bought by an oil state is sadly all too true. Brilliant youth talents, brilliant coaching, management, training and tactics can only get you so far nowadays. Pundits regularly say things like "we don't want to see the same team running away with it every year" and similarly "we don't want to see the 3 promoted clubs struggling at the bottom each season" but that's what it is.

There's an illusion it's still competitive when City drop points in the first two weeks of the season and it's made out to be a big deal in the title run. The mini-league at the top of the table between 3 or 4 super clubs is completely different to the rest of the Premier League, and to win it is only competitive between 6 teams realistically (despite Villas brilliant effort this season). It's been nearly 10 years since Leicester pulled off the unbelievable but I fear that will be the last time.

I still enjoy watching the Premier League though. There's still aspects of genuine football that remain, even if VAR and ridiculous handball rules try to take it away. I take slight comfort from the fact that even now, chucking money at a football club doesn't always guarantee success. Take Chelsea for example, chucked a billion quid at that squad and they still get beaten by Brentford and Wolves.

I guess it's down to each individual fan and their ambitions for their own football club. Everyone probably wants their team to be competing for Europe and to eventually go on to win the league. I sometimes ponder though if I'd get the same joy of us getting into the top 4 if we were bought by the most lucrative owner going, or the season we went toe to toe with the biggest clubs in the Premier League and finished 9th with players from league 1 and overlapping CBs showing 500k players a week what a proper hard graft was.

The highest we will see United is the 7th place we managed with Chris and that wonderful set of players we had at the time , they weren’t world beaters but they were good at there job and knew what they were doing, but most of all we had team spirit and morale. Great times !

The highest we will see United is the 7th place we managed with Chris and that wonderful set of players we had at the time , they weren’t world beaters but they were good at there job and knew what they were doing, but most of all we had team spirit and morale. Great times !
Finished 9th

How many of those 11 teams in the last 10 years were one season wonders? Also I bet there are 3 or 4 teams that finished top 6 for all 10 years.

Just ridiculous how little competition there is in the Premier League

Finished 9th
Yes but we got up to 7th at one stage in the season. I think 🤔
You’ll need to come up with another answer to beat SB, mate. 😁

Yeah we were 5th after we beat West Ham on a Friday night in January 2020……hard to believe only 4 years ago

Yeah we were 5th after we beat West Ham on a Friday night in January 2020……hard to believe only 4 years ago

5th after beating Bournemouth on Sunday 9th February

1704835157026.png

All went downhill after Lundstram left.

Yes but we got up to 7th at one stage in the season. I think 🤔

Believe it or not we actually reached 5th.

Think we were just 3 points behind 4th with the other team having a game in hand. Seems unbelievable but I was actually thinking we might scrape into the Champions league.

Also regards the more competitive nature of the league that not actually the Premier League, ironically the PL distribute money much better than other Euro leagues and that’s one of the main reasons it’s been so successful.

In Spain and Italy clubs negotiate their own TV deals. So Real Madrid and Barca receive more money than Man Utd from tv but most of the other Spanish clubs receive hardly anything, so the financial gap is much bigger in Europe compared to the PL.

The reason it’s less competitive is due to the mega money received in the Euro Champions league.

There was the front page of the Times that had a picture of us saying we were closing in on fourth place. Might not see similar for a while, not this season anyway (have to laugh, otherwise...)

View attachment 177346
There was a serious debate on Sky where they were discussing if we would qualify for the Champions League. Bonkers.

Back
Top Bottom