The midfield three now McAtee is here...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Egan isn't getting left out any time soon, otherwise looks ok. Think we'd be a bit daft to try it against Spurs mind. Remember listening to one of our lot last year saying we tend to go with the 3 atb cos we do it better/more often than anyone else. I don't see us unnecessarily changing that at one of our most difficult away games of the season but never say never!
If Egan is missing through injury they might ?

We have a very clear first choice 3, and it's a great balance

McAtee should also go straight in at Spurs. We've already missed him for 4 games, let's not make it 5. Especially if we see this as the shot to nothing it probably is. Use it to get him reintegrated ASAP
He hasn’t played a game of football since he left us in May. Would he be better playing 25 minutes at the end of the game rather than coming off after being up against the Spurs defence for 60/65 minutes?

Whilever Norwood and Souza start together in our current system/formation we will continue to get ran through. Both want to play centrally and there's a glaring gap on the right. Totally exposing the right hand side.

And out of those two, there's only one option.

Souza sitting, Davies to the right imo

Souza sitting, Davies to the right imo
Nothing against Davies, but there's no record of his ability to sustain a starting position in the team whether through form or fitness. Barely played for 3x years. So if you drop Norwood for Davies, who out of Hamer or McAtee is on the bench?

Nothing against Davies, but there's no record of his ability to sustain a starting position in the team whether through form or fitness. Barely played for 3x years. So if you drop Norwood for Davies, who out of Hamer or McAtee is on the bench?
Neither. This is with regard to Egan missing out and a switch to a back 4. Allowing a midfield diamond of Souza sitting Hamer and Davis central and McAtee a top the diamond.

Said it last week on another thread we have packed the squad with talented midfielders be a shame to not utilise them.

Neither. This is with regard to Egan missing out and a switch to a back 4. Allowing a midfield diamond of Souza sitting Hamer and Davis central and McAtee a top the diamond.

Said it last week on another thread we have packed the squad with talented midfielders be a shame to not utilise them.
Apologies, missed that bit.

I still think, for now, if we played a diamond then Norwood would be taking up that position. That's not to say that won't change over the season. But the more I think about the diamond, the more I think we've recruited specifically for that possibility. Trusty-Anel-Egan-Robinson (CBs) - Souza/Norwood (deep lying cms) Hamer, Norwood, Davies (cms) - Hamer/McAtee (AMs).

I don't think we'll play that this weekend. And I don't think a diamond is very likely away from home either (especially against 'top' teams). But definitely something for home games.

The reason is that we only have one CH who could play in a 2.
possibly and thats anel isnt it but when weve tried 4 at the back before we didnt have a physical defensive midfielder to sit in front of em we do now with souza think its worth trying especially in home games when the onus is on us to make things happen just think this 3 at the back and 1 light in midfield invites teams on to us we got away with it in the championship we wont in this league

I think that's probably right.

Don't think he plays box-to-box. The facts are, you can't fit McAtee, Souza, Hamer and Norwood into a 3-man midfield. If we keep playing a variation of the 3-5-2 (mostly 3-4-2-1) then I expect McAtee is here to play as part of a front 3x, and will more often than not rotate with McBurnie and Archer. Otherwise, we're reverting to a Wilder Championship 3-4-1-2 with McAtee in a Duffy-ish role, and I just don't see that.

The interesting variation would be if we did - after all this time - turn to a 4-a-t-b:

View attachment 170878
I'm not sure our centre-back options are good enough to play in a two. Possibly Anel is but the rest I think are better in a 3. Bash & Egan looked awful against Stoke last season when we played 4 at the back. Robinson looked awful in a 4 when Slav opted for that tactic.

When we signed Mcatee & Archer I actually thought you'd see Mcburnie drop to the bench, but he's been excellent since his return and probably one of the first names on the teamsheet at the moment.

Good read, just one bit that struck me as very different from what I've thought so far:

"does not point to Souza having a consistent ability to (a) move the ball closer to the opposition goal or (b) being sufficiently comfortable in possession."

He seems cool as a cucumber on the ball to me.

Typical Brazilian, very happy to receive the ball with limited space and opposition around him.

Calmly makes a bit of space and moves the ball on.

Good read, just one bit that struck me as very different from what I've thought so far:

"does not point to Souza having a consistent ability to (a) move the ball closer to the opposition goal or (b) being sufficiently comfortable in possession."

He seems cool as a cucumber on the ball to me.

Typical Brazilian, very happy to receive the ball with limited space and opposition around him.

Calmly makes a bit of space and moves the ball on.
yes and souza is the key for us to go to a back 4 he would sit 10 yards in front of our 2 centre backs some posters are forgetting this when saying weve tried 4 at the back before and it hasnt worked we didnt have this type of player before plus it would give us the opportunity to get hamer davies and mcatee in the midfield together while were playing 3 centre backs we cant do that

I'm not sure our centre-back options are good enough to play in a two. Possibly Anel is but the rest I think are better in a 3. Bash & Egan looked awful against Stoke last season when we played 4 at the back. Robinson looked awful in a 4 when Slav opted for that tactic.

When we signed Mcatee & Archer I actually thought you'd see Mcburnie drop to the bench, but he's been excellent since his return and probably one of the first names on the teamsheet at the moment.
Agreed, it is good to seem him step it up/regain form.

If McAtee is fit, he has to play.

I've never understood the changing of tactics and negativity around being away rather than being at home.

It's still 11 v 11 on 100x68m of grass whether its in London, Sheffield or Timbuktu.

Back
Top Bottom