The midfield 3

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

BladeTillIDie

Reaction score
No shame in losing to liverpool as i fully expected but im starting to think we need some serious quality in midfield to compete. I don't mean championship players to complete the squad up but i think this is a position we need to be strengthening.

Osborn, Ravel, Besic and Freeman have hardly been a success, we lack some creativity and muscle for sure. Norwood has looked out of form the past month and Lunny looked like a league 1 player tonight. Would love a player like Doucoure at Watford.

The whole midfield were a long way off tonight. Lunny has been poor since Villa for me. We need another player in thar area with legs and strength. We looked a bit of a soft touch tonight and physically lost the battle.

No shame in losing to liverpool as i fully expected but im starting to think we need some serious quality in midfield to compete. I don't mean championship players to complete the squad up but i think this is a position we need to be strengthening.

Osborn, Ravel, Besic and Freeman have hardly been a success, we lack some creativity and muscle for sure. Norwood has looked out of form the past month and Lunny looked like a league 1 player tonight. Would love a player like Doucoure at Watford.
Dry your eyes mate and take your over reaction somewhere else

On their day our main midfield 3 are class. Tonight was an bit of an anomaly and there is no need to bin anyone of them off because of it.

They all need a rest, and will now get one.

Besic is looking increasingly like a great additon though, and I do want to see more of Freeman.

That being said, I think we need another body in there. Ideally someone who can add a bit more going forward. Eze perhaps?

Just one game to far,we looked tired..the lads at the back played well especially Bash and Hendo...Yeah the midfield were off it,but I think it was more down to fatigue and a good opposition...didn't lay a glove on them.

Liverpool and Man City are not in our league.

These games we all expected to lose but hopefully not heavily so we don’t take a drop of confidence , yes players are going to get tired and we’ve played the same team pretty much since day one, so It is time to use the squad players, and give the usual suspects a bit of a rest and recharge..

Those moaning about lunny and Norwood - don’t complain when they’re rested if we don’t get a result, because the lad that gets the shirt hasn’t hardly kicked a ball yet.

And finally remember the second half of the season is always way tougher historically, look at Brighton last year after Xmas, the points we have we will need, trust me.

For the West Ham game I would like us to revert to last seasons system. Didzy in the hole behind Moose and McBurnie.
We need to get 3 points on the board and I think we would have too much for them, even with the new manager thingy.

Is it a coincidence that all three Midfielders have an offday against the best side in the Prem this season and reigning Champions of Europe?

Perhaps we just met a side that were tactically better than us and didn't give us any time, Fleck and Norwood particularly were under pressure every time they got the ball

For the West Ham game I would like us to revert to last seasons system. Didzy in the hole behind Moose and McBurnie.
We need to get 3 points on the board and I think we would have too much for them, even with the new manager thingy.
Whilst it might work to change things for certain games, i don't think we necessarily need to change things on the back of the last two results as the system has worked brilliantly this season and is arguably more suited to this division.

I agree it's worked very well in most games but I think we should set up more offensively at home against teams like the Hammers.
I think that those 3 would be a handful for the lesser teams and all are capable of holding the ball up and taking the pressure off the defence.

Fleck was incredible against Man City. Norwood was very good, too. Norwood was fantastic against Watford. I like Lunny’s runs.

I agree it’s an area to strengthen, though, although I think we could add more competition to basically all positions.

The way I saw it was that yes, there were occasions where the passes weren't coming off because of Liverpool's pressing and their shape but there were also a lot of occasions where we gave the ball away cheaply when there were easy passes under no pressure.

If we're gonna have an off-day, might as well make it in a game we would have probably lost anyway. No shame in losing 2-0 to that.

I can't help feeling that there was another couple of gears that Liverpool could have notched up to if it was necessary.

I knew we should have taken our own ball last night as we let Liverpool play with the match ball.
The sad think is, we looked a little bit like the “stooge team” the Harlem Globetrotters take the piss out of.

I agree with a lot of what has already been said.

All 3 looked off the pace, but it's worth considering what they were up against. All 3 have shown that they have an awful lot to offer over the course of the season so far.

Fleck has been top class.
Norwood is a leader, wins the ball and is real quality on it.
Lundstram has been the surprise package but he has upped his game beyond any expectations. He looks very comfortable at this level now.

Is it a coincidence that all three Midfielders have an offday against the best side in the Prem this season and reigning Champions of Europe?

Perhaps we just met a side that were tactically better than us and didn't give us any time, Fleck and Norwood particularly were under pressure every time they got the ball

I dunno, it's taken 3 years but they've finally met a couple of teams who can match them 😆

But yes, they've hit a wall in tiredness and need a break. Tactically, we need more runners from midfield.

If norwood has a off day we have an off day. Barley any off his long passes reached out players. I think if there's a position were ever going to spend 40+ million on it should be his defensive mod/ deep play maker role because it would really take us to that next level.

Besic in for Lunny vs West Ham for me. Can't remember the last time he's really impressed me. Defo not in the past month

Wolves away 2nd half was the start of the decline. So yes, been a while this poor run of form. Has he crashed and burned putting so much effort above and beyond into the season so far?

Like i said before being shot down we played probably the best team in the world but i just think it's an area we need serious competition. The current 3 are good but sometimes they're probably untouchable if they have a few bad games still.

On their day our main midfield 3 are class. Tonight was an bit of an anomaly and there is no need to bin anyone of them off because of it.

They all need a rest, and will now get one.

Besic is looking increasingly like a great additon though, and I do want to see more of Freeman.

That being said, I think we need another body in there. Ideally someone who can add a bit more going forward. Eze perhaps?

One under par game in 21 and against Liverpool?

Back in August many would have expected that every fortnight.

They have been superb all season.

Mady Camara and Adrien Tameze are two interesting links.

Athletic, energetic right footed types.

We'll sign someone like that this month. As well as Rodwell and probably a forward.

Wolves away 2nd half was the start of the decline. So yes, been a while this poor run of form. Has he crashed and burned putting so much effort above and beyond into the season so far?

We need some cover/competition for him.

Fleck has Freeman
Norwood has Besic
Lundstrum has... ??????

Besic is fine to come in for him when we are looking to sit a little (as we were at City) - but against other opposition we need that box to box player.

It’s what Liverpool do. They work really hard on winning the ball back quickly and have done since Klopp took over. He picks midfielders with this ability. If we’re playing a team that is as organised and motivated as us but with far better players there’s only one outcome, unless you’re very lucky. We weren’t, we were a bit unlucky.

We need some cover/competition for him.

Fleck has Freeman
Norwood has Besic
Lundstrum has... ??????

Besic is fine to come in for him when we are looking to sit a little (as we were at City) - but against other opposition we need that box to box player.

Besic in his prime would love driving with the ball from box to box

The whole midfield were a long way off tonight. Lunny has been poor since Villa for me. We need another player in thar area with legs and strength. We looked a bit of a soft touch tonight and physically lost the battle.

Yoy're a much better reporter than a pundit Deadbat.

Talk about short memory.

We are 8th and face a few more challenges very soon, that's the challenge.

Bring it on. For three players who all together cost £2.5m the lads are heroes.

Cash was spent in other areas and to date is the weakness.

A week ago we watched Liverpool make a very expensive midfield at Leicester look a lot worse than ours. At least we held shape.

Back
Top Bottom