The midfield 3

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Mentally the team were on the floor after George 's gaff and the customary missed half chances shortly after. That and them targeting our system drained the belief. No midfield could change that in such a situation. Wilder's head in hands moment made it worse, giving the wrong sign to the team.
Had the subs come on earlier with Besic's &Billy s intelligence, who knows, learn and move on.

Yoy're a much better reporter than a pundit Deadbat.

Talk about short memory.

We are 8th and face a few more challenges very soon, that's the challenge.

Bring it on. For three players who all together cost £2.5m the lads are heroes.

Cash was spent in other areas and to date is the weakness.

A week ago we watched Liverpool make a very expensive midfield at Leicester look a lot worse than ours. At least we held shape.

Not disputing they have not been brilliant but last night showed that the season may be taking its toll on a few and Lunny in particular whose form has dropped off.

He gets praise when he has been great (for most of the season) but the last few weeks he has reallly dropped off his form.

Not sure any of the above can be disputed?

They looked dead on their feet tonight and all three have beenn sensational. However, we do not have players we can bring in of a like of like and that is the issue. If one of them gets injured or drops off, not sure Besic, Freeman or anyone else is close to their levels when they are good. So we need to be looking at bringing another body on.

The point about Leciester stands but then Watford and Brighton gave them a much tougher game at Anfield and got amongst them.

Mentally the team were on the floor after George 's gaff and the customary missed half chances shortly after. That and them targeting our system drained the belief. No midfield could change that in such a situation. Wilder's head in hands moment made it worse, giving the wrong sign to the team.
Had the subs come on earlier with Besic's &Billy s intelligence, who knows, learn and move on.

I agree. We needed some fresh legs and energy at half time. We got worse after the break and could not stem the tide.

And finally remember the second half of the season is always way tougher historically...

That's always struck me as a very strange statement, albeit it's constantly used as a warning, because it's a zero sum game.

Sides who got the same points or more in the 2nd half of last season as they got in the first half:
Manchester City, Manchester United, Wolves, Everton, Crystal Palace, Newcastle, Burnley, Southampton, Cardiff, Fulham.

So that included all three of the promoted sides.

Lundstram was one of their best players in the second half and I can't believe Norwood came off instead of him after he passed it directly to their players 4 passes in a row.

Looks fucked and moving like he used to. Sentimental starter for me yesterday Besic has proved his ability more than a few occasions now.

Not disputing they have not been brilliant but last night showed that the season may be taking its toll on a few and Lunny in particular whose form has dropped off.

He gets praise when he has been great (for most of the season) but the last few weeks he has reallly dropped off his form.

Not sure any of the above can be disputed?

They looked dead on their feet tonight and all three have beenn sensational. However, we do not have players we can bring in of a like of like and that is the issue. If one of them gets injured or drops off, not sure Besic, Freeman or anyone else is close to their levels when they are good. So we need to be looking at bringing another body on.

The point about Leciester stands but then Watford and Brighton gave them a much tougher game at Anfield and got amongst them.

It wasnt just the midfield last night as you say in your excellent report. Is the Brighton game that long ago? The Watford performance was very good too looking how Watford are motoring now - ours were the only points they've lost, 3 games ago.

Then the 'big 2'. No surprises. 3rd and 4th games in quick time. Look at the teams they had to select and look at their resources.Have a heart.

Excellent report by the way.

That's always struck me as a very strange statement, albeit it's constantly used as a warning, because it's a zero sum game.

Sides who got the same points or more in the 2nd half of last season as they got in the first half:
Manchester City, Manchester United, Wolves, Everton, Crystal Palace, Newcastle, Burnley, Southampton, Cardiff, Fulham.

So that included all three of the promoted sides.

I always seem to think that the second game against the teams in any division are harder cause they know what you’re about having played you, each to their own though..

I always seem to think that the second game against the teams in any division are harder cause they know what you’re about having played you, each to their own though..

That cuts both ways Tezza. And as I said, all three promoted sides last season managed more points in the 2nd half of the season than they did in the 1st - even eventually relegated Cardiff and Fulham

That cuts both ways Tezza. And as I said, all three promoted sides last season managed more points in the 2nd half of the season than they did in the 1st - even eventually relegated Cardiff and Fulham

Yes but how many of them finished the first half of the season with as many points as we just did? I would be stunned if we got another 29 points from the remaining fixtures. I think it'll be a lot closer to 21/22 points, which would still be an amazing achievement (and dare I say it, still more than what Cardiff and Fulham got in the second half of last season?)

Actually thought Lundstram was the best out of the three. He didn't hide from the ball. But yes I'd agree we would need to look to improve in this area, probably the summer

4 Games in 12 days, 3 of which were away including against current Prem Champs, European Champs, World Champs and Prem League Champs elect.

We're 8th and still have a positive GD

Surely some perspective is needed.

Yes but how many of them finished the first half of the season with as many points as we just did? I would be stunned if we got another 29 points from the remaining fixtures. I think it'll be a lot closer to 21/22 points, which would still be an amazing achievement (and dare I say it, still more than what Cardiff and Fulham got in the second half of last season?)

Wolves record was similar to ours in the first 19 games (26 pts). They then took 31 points in the second set of 19 games. Even Cardiff picked up 19 points in those.

I do not expect us to finish on 58 points or more, but I was countering the point that the 2nd half of the season would be harder just because somehow it always is (I presumed the poster meant for a newly promoted side).

Last season it was "easier" for all three.

Wolves record was similar to ours in the first 19 games (26 pts). They then took 31 points in the second set of 19 games. Even Cardiff picked up 19 points in those.

I do not expect us to finish on 58 points or more, but I was countering the point that the 2nd half of the season would be harder just because somehow it always is (I presumed the poster meant for a newly promoted side).

Last season it was "easier" for all three.

Was it 'easier' for all three or did they just improve from a dismal first half to the season? Easy to do when things can't get any worse.

But how are we supposed to dramatically improve on our first half showing? That'd be talking Champions League form!

Lundstram was absolutely miles off of the pace at Anfield. Passing was awful. Think the whole team looked jaded to be honest.

Would've helped our case if Firmino would just fuck off occasionally.

His combination of talent and workrate is frightening. I'm grateful we don't need to face it again this season.

Back
Top Bottom