The man who collapsed

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

So pleased to hear he is alive and receiving treatment in hospital, so much more important than any football result. My wife and I decided to sign up to do a CPR course, hopefully we never need to use it.

Out of all the messages on here. This is the one which can make a difference or at least give someone a chance.

Having been in the position I was glad I had the training. It gave him a fighting chance to the experts arrived.

(It wasn't enough unfortunately, I believe it rarely is unless you have a defib. )

Wait, was this confirmed or just a rumour?
The bloke did collapse.
The report that he had died looks as though it was an incorrect rumour.
So, with the benefit of hindsight, the angry mob are hunting out anyone who reacted to the false story.

Out of all the messages on here. This is the one which can make a difference or at least give someone a chance.

Having been in the position I was glad I had the training. It gave him a fighting chance to the experts arrived.

(It wasn't enough unfortunately, I believe it rarely is unless you have a defib. )
It can keep them going until paramedics arrive though.

On a similar theme, 'anyone' can go on an NHS paramedic emergency responder course.
You get trained and emergency equipment.
You then are on from home standby list. They message you to respond to 999 calls if you are closer than a paramedic.
Same idea, give emergency care until the full crew arrive.

So pleased to hear he is alive and receiving treatment in hospital, so much more important than any football result. My wife and I decided to sign up to do a CPR course, hopefully we never need to use it.

The more that do first aid training the better. Simple actions can save lives.

I've been a first aider for more than 30 years and have been able to help many people in that time.

Sadly, I've had 2 fatalities to deal with as well before defibs where generally available. Trying and failing to save a life is itself painful but goes with the territory. Summoning expert help as early as possible is vital.

It shows how things change

I went to a night match, a cup tie against Stockport County in the early 80's

I felt shocking all day, dizzy spells, headache and sickness but I went anyway

I blacked out and collapsed on the steps on the kop and my mate dragged me out and down to the fence, by this time I had come around a bit, I could walk, but had the demeanour of being pissed.

He tried to get me to the first aid room, but a copper came up to the fence and busted our fingers against the fence with his baton.

Went to the hospital in the end and was diagnosed with vertigo

I blacked out and collapsed on the steps on the kop and my mate dragged me out and down to the fence, by this time I had come around a bit, I could walk, but had the demeanour of being pissed.

He tried to get me to the first aid room, but a copper came up to the fence and busted our fingers against the fence with his baton.

Ah, SYP and their caring, sympathetic attitude to football supporters during the 80's gives me a warm fuzzy feeling. In late 90's I saw a copper giving a young lad (not one of ours - an away fan) some grief near St Mary's church for being out of it. Turns out he was a diabetic and he was hypoglycemic. If his family hadn't have stepped in to explain what was happening he would have been given similar 'treatment'.

YorkBlade who did you do it with? I was going to sign up for one just as covid hit so obviously it never happened. Did they do defib training at the same time? Thanks x

YorkBlade who did you do it with? I was going to sign up for one just as covid hit so obviously it never happened. Did they do defib training at the same time? Thanks x
This might not be much use due to your location but here:

Yep, great idea doing that course. I did one which was run by the British Red Cross. Also worth getting their First Aid app with some helpful first aid reminders, as we'll forget stuff over time.

It can keep them going until paramedics arrive though.

On a similar theme, 'anyone' can go on an NHS paramedic emergency responder course.
You get trained and emergency equipment.
You then are on from home standby list. They message you to respond to 999 calls if you are closer than a paramedic.
Same idea, give emergency care until the full crew arrive.

Exactly. Managed to give him.a fighting chance while paramedics arrived. They continued to work on him for over an hour after.

Sadly he died. But as you say it gave him half a chance

Bicker about bloody anything you lot

Saw this happen some years ago when I was younger, happened before the match so thankfully there was ample room for treatment and the lad pulled through. Strange thing to watch when I was a teenager.

Credit to the nurse and the medics hopefully this chaps still alive and back at the lane soon.

It was a weird mix of emotions when I saw it all those years ago because not a few minutes earlier some middle aged fella was reading the paper and one of the stray balls from training smashed straight through it and hit him in the face and it was fucking hilarious.

I thought you were going to say you'd eaten one of the steak and ale pies at the ground!

I thought you were going to say you'd eaten one of the steak and ale pies at the ground!

I was at those two games. Stockport away FA cup 2nd round drew 0.0. Then we beat them 3.2 aet in the replay.

I was at those two games. Stockport away FA cup 2nd round drew 0.0. Then we beat them 3.2 aet in the replay.

Yes mate, I was at the game in Stockport as well.
Didn't find out the score in the home game until next day

Back
Top Bottom