The amount of abuse Jack Robinson gets is shameful

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

FMBlade1

Reaction score
I put this on the 'confess your unpopular opinions thread' though felt it worth repeating here on a thread of it's own:

'1. He only cost £500k
2. He's a back-up player
3. He's a back-up player being asked to play out of position
4. It's not his fault he's picked and that we don't have better options.
5. He's not been great, but not terrible either, and his great piece of skill against Everton last year got us a fantastic win that we should be grateful for.'

To add to this, anyone who was at the Peterborough game after his mistake would see that he really cared and he showed great character to have a decent second half.

Contrast to how Brewster has been treated, with so many making excuses for him, the fantastic reception he got after scoring against Carlisle etc.

We should not expect much from Robinson at all. Even when he was last in the Championship at Forest he was hardly top class for this division.

Do I think he's ultimately good enough for us for where we need to be now and in the future? No, and stating so is not abuse. Do I think he tries his hardest and his best? Absolutely. The fact that we need to play him is the club's fault, not his. The fact that he was signed for us is the club's fault, not his.

Some of the comments on here, Twitter, Facebook, shout-box, has been absolutely embarrassing. I struggle to understand it. He's not punched one of our own fans or anything (which even that wouldn't justify the abuse), or ex-Wednesday etc.

We as fans, can and must do better. If he's reading this, which I doubt though not impossible, I'd say that the true Blades are behind you.

UTB

I put this on the 'confess your unpopular opinions thread' though felt it worth repeating here on a thread of it's own:

'1. He only cost £500k
2. He's a back-up player
5. He's not been great, but not terrible either, and his great piece of skill against Everton last year got us a fantastic win that we should be grateful for.'

To add to this, anyone who was at the Peterborough game after his mistake would see that he really cared and he showed great character to have a decent second half.

Contrast to how Brewster has been treated, with so many making excuses for him, the fantastic reception he got after scoring against Carlisle etc.

We should not expect much from Robinson at all. Even when he was last in the Championship at Forest he was hardly top class for this division.

Do I think he's ultimately good enough for us for where we need to be now and in the future? No, and stating so is not abuse. Do I think he tries his hardest and his best? Absolutely. The fact that we need to play him is the club's fault, not his. The fact that he was signed for us is the club's fault, not his.

Some of the comments on here, Twitter, Facebook, shout-box, has been absolutely embarrassing. I struggle to understand it. He's not punched one of our own fans or anything (which even that wouldn't justify the abuse), or ex-Wednesday etc.

We as fans, can and must do better. If he's reading this, which I doubt though not impossible, I'd say that the true Blades are behind you.

UTB
I suspect I’m falling for a wind up here.

Robinson doesn’t get any stick, as I’d define it. By that, I mean abuse in the real world.

in the virtual world, where we discuss footballing matters, it’s regularly pointed out that he falls far short of the required quality for a promotion chasing side.

Given his lack of quality (more mistakes), I’d say he gets away lightly. The same goes for all our high value purchases (he wasn’t) , who’ve failed miserably yet are still vocally supported by the crowd.

The prevalence of abuse is hard to measure, barring flurries on Shoutbox, following mistakes on a match day.

In my experience the rest, thankfully, is largely balanced comments regarding player simply not being quite good enough to be relied up as a regular squad option, if we're serious about promotion.

Anything beyond that, and it's fair to call someone out.

'1. He only cost £500k
2. He's a back-up player

UTB
Considering Brewster and McBurnie were likened (however tongue in cheek it may have been) to a pair of serial killers on here last night I’m not sure the abuse Robinson gets is worse than either of those to be honest.

In footballing terms, he’s made a couple of mistakes that cost us goals recently and generally looks slow of thought and foot whilst on the pitch. 500k or not I’d be disappointed if he starts too many league games going forward. Though I do agree it’s not his fault and he shouldn’t be ‘abused’, stating a player is poor or not good enough doesn’t amount to personal abuse in my opinion.

Robinson doesn’t get any stick, as I’d define it. By that, I mean abuse in the real world.

in the virtual world, where we discuss footballing matters, it’s regularly pointed out that he falls far short of the required quality for a promotion chasing side.

Given his lack of quality (more mistakes), I’d say he gets away lightly. The same goes for all our high value purchases (he wasn’t) , who’ve failed miserably yet are still vocally supported by the crowd.

Abuse is abuse, whether virtual or otherwise so not sure why you are trying to separate them? Try telling Saka and Deeney that they don't get any stick.

No problem that it's pointed out that he's short of required quality for a promotion chasing side, I agree with that.

Each person has their own experiences but at the Peterborough match several in the crowd around me hurled expletives at him. I understand that I seem soft and unrealistic, but to them I say we can and should do better than that.

Just imagine he's Brewster and take it from there.

Saw an individual in the shoutbox wished death on him following the Preston match. Just like ol’ Brian wished it on Lundstram a couple of times last year. Either some take following the Blades far too personally or are just prone to the odd moronic outburst. Regardless, if fully grown men do that on a forum then God knows what he receives on his socials.

For me with Robinson like last night although everyone makes mistakes I understand that it seems to be the lack of communication with anyone that's lacking. If you put a shift in then you will always stand a chance at BDTBL

Threads like this:

I appreciate that's only two examples, tongue in cheek and one is from a wum. Though as others have said there have been than that and it's totally unnecessary.

Calling him not good enough to play for us = fine

Saying that he's a c*** and should **** off = abuse, and not fine, not proportionate and uncalled for.

I like Star Wars so I see it as a compliment that he’s likened to C-3PO. He’s a gold robot, must be valuable.

Robinson, Norwood, Mcburnie, Lundstrum, Burke..Long (shameful) over the years the list is endless...is it the same/as bad as other clubs? Maybe? Probably. Something that is getting worse, like social media and society. It's embarrassing and cringeworthy. Like others I moan and groan at times at players through frustration but the levels of abuse is way beyond wrong.

Looks like he should be on Married at First Sight UK. Plays like it as well.

I don’t agree with abuse he on any player receives. I wouldn’t boo anyone for example.

I did call for him to be fired out of a cannon after his latest gaff - it was tongue in cheek, though perhaps a little unfair.

the issue is that I don’t think anyone, Slav included thinks he should be starting at centreback in a two at his level. The reality is he is and is costing us points, with errors you’d be annoyed at an under 23 player making

Unfortunately, it’s again the way the squad has been constructed - unless I am missing someone he’s the only centreback brought in for a fee since Egan and was only the second in the last 5 years!! …. Even then, he was brought in as back up, it’s not a surprise he’s struggled in a role he’s not designed for. Our allocation of resources since our promotion again baffles and disappoints me.

Why does anyone play football? Chances are they love the sport. I still play for that reason, albeit walking football whats more I'm kinda average and make the same mistakes our lads do.

If we spot weaknesses on the field we can be sure Slav does too. Our job (clue being in the name) is to be supporters at the end of the day.

'1. He only cost £500k
2. He's a back-up player

UTB
Sorry Mrs.Robinson

Jack Robinson deserves to be treated with the respect due to any individual. He is though not very good at Championship level football. I don’t condone the abuse he has received at all but as a life long Blade I have the right to criticise his performances, which I have done on here. If a person doesn’t like it they just don’t have to read it do they.

Abuse is abuse, whether virtual or otherwise so not sure why you are trying to separate them? Try telling Saka and Deeney that they don't get any stick.

No problem that it's pointed out that he's short of required quality for a promotion chasing side, I agree with that.

Each person has their own experiences but at the Peterborough match several in the crowd around me hurled expletives at him. I understand that I seem soft and unrealistic, but to them I say we can and should do better than that.

Just imagine he's Brewster and take it from there.
I think anyone who's been significantly hurt by the type of "abuse" that Robinson's had needs to find another career.

'1. He only cost £500k
2. He's a back-up player

UTB
He's given away a OG, and essentially set up another two goals for the opposite team.

He's been utter dogpoo. That's being kind.

I don't expect much from him granted. But I expect much better than gifting goals.

I think anyone who's been significantly hurt by the type of "abuse" that Robinson's had needs to find another career.

1632317990629.png

By the way this isn't a dig at the vast, vast majority of our fans.

However it is a vocal minority that is becoming more and more noticeable and they should be ashamed of themselves.

My thoughts entirely...don’t like the mention of ‘only’ 500,00 either. In a supporters world that is megabucks...he’s actually awful and should be no where near the first team. I’m going have to revert back to CW...another absolute dire signing who will probably finish up in L2 - if he’s lucky....
It didn’t make sense at the time, like a lot of CWs signings. Hopefully he can take some of the rubbish with him when he gets a new job.

'1. He only cost £500k
2. He's a back-up player

UTB
Agree with you. Lundstram's gone , unfortunately someone as to take his place and they've chosen Jack Robinson. When he goes, who's the next target ?.

Succinctly put answering one of the 3 or 4 best WUM's

UTB

Is there a suggestion that Robinson has been targeted directly on his social media or in person? If so, that should stop. It's bad for the player and bad for the club.

If we're talking about criticism of a player--even pretty sharp criticism--on this forum then it's not really abuse. The forum is basically an extension of the sort of conversations that happen between supporters in the pub after a game. It's a conversation between supporters where they feel free to share their opinions about the club and its players. Emotions can run high and people can be fairly brutal. But it doesn't affect the players at all unless they choose to stick their noses into it--and if they do, they better have pretty thick skins.

I can't condone any personal insults towards him but his abilities or lack thereof are plain to see and we're free to point them out, that's the whole point of this site.

In scapegoat terms, he's different to Lundstram in that at least he tries but he's just not good enough at this level, certainly not as a central defender and he wouldn't be first choice at left back either. A baffling signing when we were doing well in the Premier League but in his shoes, you'd take the money and be able to tell your kids that you played Premier League football (no matter how crap you were). The one saving grace is that once he leaves, likely at the end of this season when his contract ends, he's not someone we'll keep following and wishing failure upon like has been seen with Lundstram.

It's not taken too long for Slav to see sense and he was out of the squad against Hull, a game that mattered far more than last night's did. If we'd got Davies in a bit sooner and he'd been fully fit, any talk of Jack Robinson wouldn't be happening because he'd be sat on the bench.

Last edited:

View attachment 121477

By the way this isn't a dig at the vast, vast majority of our fans.

However it is a vocal minority that is becoming more and more noticeable and they should be ashamed of themselves.

All very snowflakey I'm afraid. Footballers have received dogs abuse for years for poor performances, like it or not it goes with the territory.

Granted, that doesn't make it right to personally abuse someone but it is a fine line and often there is a word in it......from what you are saying "that was fucking shit Robinson" would be deemed acceptable yet "you are fucking shit Robinson" is not....yet it's the same thing, you are still saying he is fucking shit!

Thankfully we now have a manager who actually appears to do something about it and will have no hesitation in dropping anyone not performing. Not like the last incumbent who slaughtered players in public then tapped them on the bum as they ran out for the next game...

Back
Top Bottom