The ‘be patient’ brigade

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Unfortunately our fate was decided a long time before the season started. As soon as we sold Ndiaye we turned a challenging summer of recruitment into an almost impossible task.

It's going to be a long slog of a season where we get outrun and outplayed by stronger and superior teams. Teams that have actually been invested in. Ran by chairmen who at least have a tiny bit of ambition.

I have nothing more to say about the Prince. It has just been mistake after mistake after mistake. I lay no blame whatsoever at the door of the players or management - they have been thrown under the bus by a board who aren't fit for purpose. It was obvious last season, it's even more obvious now.

I'm not sure on what basis so many people think this team would "struggle" in the Championship?

We lost one player that it was impossible to replace - admittedly he was far and away our best player and the reason we got automatic promotion, but McBurnie/Archer is still a formidable Championship attack.

Despite this attempt to re-write history the squad we currently have is (Ndiaye apart) better than the one we were promoted with, with more quality and depth. I've never said it would be good enough to stay up but it's better than the shambles that has been displayed in the last 3 games.

Without confidence this side can achieve nothing and that will only come with good results. We were possibly denied that today by the freakiest goal you can imagine - but who am I kidding? Not myself. We were second best. Maybe a point there would have stopped the rot but I doubt it as we concede chances far too easily and don't look much like scoring. Any salvation we may have is at home but without good results we won't have the confidence to play as we can.

So the only hope is to change the manager, and sooner rather than later. That may not work but we can't keep employing the same formation and tactics and expecting things to turn out differently. We went through all two years ago already. A change may be the shot in the arm needed to get some better results.

The problem with this I, personally don't have any confidence either - but mine is in whether the people running the club have any clue who they would appoint if they made the only realistic decision they can make. They should have some names ready to go. I doubt it though.

I thank Hecky, but let’s get real

The team play as if they never played with each other before ..

How did we prepare ?

Crap friendlies and Hecky insisted on this rotation of kids and first team players playing on different teams on each half.
Not trying to find out first 11

Hecky kept banging on about how they’re recruiting for certain personalities and characters.. well that’s in Hecky.. I see no leaders !

Hecky got the players he wanted in the end

Yeah yeah we lost 2 players , but gained many more
However, there was never pre season build up of let’s find our first 11 .. it’s now showing !

At what point does patience run out and we accept that the board have conspired to completely fuck this season up with their dealings just before the season started?

We are completely and utterly out of our depth and there is an acceptance at the club that this is the case.

Next week we’ve had more international breaks than we’ve got points.

I know there’s not much we can do about it but surely the most clappy of clappers can see that this was caused by not doing business early enough and subsequently not doing the right business.

Leicester’s sub left back is our first choice, Norwood is still in the side getting strolled past by much stronger and faster players. Our forward line is starved of service and incapable of producing for themselves.
I think it’s finished.

Completely lost what your point is? Recruitment hasn’t been good and we acted late in the summer? If that’s it, then no shit Sherlock!
It’s what we do from here which matters and sacking Hecky won’t have an impact as it’s the same players.
You obviously didn’t subscribe to the ‘be patient’ school of thought. The fuck up was clear to most from the day we sold Ndiaye.

Did you read what I said?

I wouldn’t sack Hecky, but to retain any credibility the board now only have 1 option. They’ve hamstrung him with their actions and they will have to sack him to look like they are taking being a PL team seriously. In reality their actions show that they never were.
They don’t just have one option though. They can back him, stick with him (as they have always said they would) and let him try and bring us back up next season.
I’ve no issue with this approach. This one season has probably saved our club from a financial point of view so the club and team will be in a better position next season in the championship than they would have been if we hadn’t been promoted.

You've got to start questioning his lineups, formation and in game changes. Luton have as worse squad than us but are making a better fist of things
To be fair to him not long after bringing Larouci on he got an assist. We still lost like but that sub worked.

They don’t just have one option though. They can back him, stick with him (as they have always said they would) and let him try and bring us back up next season.
I’ve no issue with this approach. This one season has probably saved our club from a financial point of view so the club and team will be in a better position next season in the championship than they would have been if we hadn’t been promoted.
We’ve all swallowed the ‘well run club’ crap for that long that we’re happy to go up and come back down again without even trying.

I’d prefer to do what Forest have done and at least when it all comes crashing down they’ve had a bit of fun.

I don’t think the owner expected us to stay up, but the money put us in a better financial position (which was vital) and enabled us to sign players who he hopes can bring us back up.
Write this season off and wait until May 2025 is your suggestion then?!

Ndiaye covered up alot of our shortfalls last season.Still we put up with a slow midfield who are easily run by fast strong opposition Players who should have been shown the door after we were promoted. Hecky will go back to the same old next season with the same tactics.

I don’t know how anyone can be patient anymore with this management,the ship has sailed,and for me too,which was unthinkable not long ago.How we are making good players worse and sapping their confidence is beyond me but it’s happened.

We’ve all swallowed the ‘well run club’ crap for that long that we’re happy to go up and come back down again without even trying.

I’d prefer to do what Forest have done and at least when it all comes crashing down they’ve had a bit of fun.
Ask Portsmouth, Wigan and Reading how much fun they’re having.

It’s easy to spend other people’s money.

We are where we are because we haven’t got the money to spend that forest have. And that’s fine by me.

The most damning thing for me is players like Hamer, Archer and Souza are actually getting worse the more time they spend with our coaching team.
Look at them when Fulham score the second shell shocked lot of em ,I hate to say it they looked well out of ideas both on and off the field

I hope if Hecky goes it's him resigning citing I tried with my hands tied and I believe I cannot do anymore. Feel for him and imo this is the better option rather than 'being sacked'. Next option, who knows but a change of tactics with a new manager can't make us any worse with a different perspective on what we have. Great being a Blades fan for 50+ years. Onwards, forwards and what will be.. .

I hope if Hecky goes it's him resigning citing I tried with my hands tied and I believe I cannot do anymore. Feel for him and imo this is the better option rather than 'being sacked'. Next option, who knows but a change of tactics with a new manager can't make us any worse with a different perspective on what we have. Great being a Blades fan for 50+ years. Onwards, forwards and what will be.. .
Don't expect him to resign unless the Prince pays him off. Resigning usually means no compensation involved

Ask Portsmouth, Wigan and Reading how much fun they’re having.

It’s easy to spend other people’s money.

We are where we are because we haven’t got the money to spend that forest have. And that’s fine by me.
Portsmouth fans still have an FA cup and Europe
To reminisce about.

No one gets to their deathbed and says “Now then sonny, can you remember all the years we were a well run club and made a profit”.

How do you dramatically change the tactics/system with the small squad built for one system? We need a manager who can install pride, fight and stubbornness into the side. I don't think Hecky is going to do that now. We let in 3 today it it would have been more against a clinical side.

I’m hoping he walks through the front door it’s just who’s come through the back door…….

Yeah, I think there’s this assumption that we’ll go down but next season this side will be great in the league below. But I don’t see this team in this way of playing getting near automatic promotion.
What makes you think they'll be great?Honest question.

Portsmouth fans still have an FA cup and Europe
To reminisce about.

No one gets to their deathbed and says “Now then sonny, can you remember all the years we were a well run club and made a profit”.
I’d be quite happy at the top end of the champ with the occasional year in the prem and good cup run.

I don’t ever want to be in league one again regardless.

Write this season off and wait until May 2025 is your suggestion then?!
Not my suggestion at all. It was the indication given at the outset by the owner/board.
They didn’t say write off this season but acknowledged that relegation was a possibility and therefore planned accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom