That felt… different

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

BrianBadonde

Reaction score
Don’t know how else to word it? Only a friendly, but just so free flowing and full of flair. No set positions, much less regimented, and the players looked like they were really enjoying themselves and thriving.

Berge absolutely took the piss.
McGoldrick and Moose extremely impressive.
Fleck popping up on the right side of midfield numerous times, going past people like he wasn’t there.
Jebbison at just turned 18 knocking their defenders about

To balance, Norwood and Robinson pretty iffy, but there we go.

Backheels and tricks aplenty, especially when the youngsters came on. And some pretty good passing moves to boot.

And he’s only just getting started….

Good to see one or two through balls down the middle rather than fucking about out wide.

100%

17 passes in a triangle before trying to cross it into one player against a full defence who’ve had 5 minutes to set up and get ready infuriated me so much last season.

refreshing to look for balls in behind / through the middle for a change.

it’s not like we scrapped wing play either we just attacked with a lot more fluidity through the area of the pitch that suited the move the most. Not forcing it out wide every single time.

100%

17 passes in a triangle before trying to cross it into one player against a full defence who’ve had 5 minutes to set up and get ready infuriated me so much last season.

it’s not like we scrapped wing play either we just attacked with a lot more fluidity through the area of the pitch that suited the move the most. Not forcing it out wide every single time.
Yes all over the pitch we seemed to play with more freedom.

Attacking football is all we ( I ) ask for.

To be fair to Wilder for three and a half years up to Liverpool away in that first Prem, season it’s what we mostly did.. after that night his nerve went… it was a slow long and depressing decline from then.

I hope this is the turning point the other way.

Don’t know how else to word it? Only a friendly, but just so free flowing and full of flair. No set positions, much less regimented, and the players looked like they were really enjoying themselves and thriving.

Fleck popping up on the right side of midfield numerous times, going past people like he wasn’t there.

Backheels and tricks aplenty, especially when the youngsters came on. And some pretty good passing moves to boot.

Saturday will be a bigger test but they past the one today with flying colours looked very assured on the ball an moved it with purpose. Even when making changes it didn't disrupt the flow which is very encouraging.

Attacking football is all we ( I ) ask for.

To be fair to Wilder for three and a half years up to Liverpool away in that first Prem, season it’s what we mostly did.. after that night his nerve went… it was a slow long and depressing decline from then.

I hope this is the turning point the other way.

Agree….that Liverpool away game was the turning point.
I remember before that game….every single game home and away teams opposition trans struggled against us.
We showed the opposition no respect and played with freedom and no pressure.

The Liverpool game was as though Wilder knew we couldn’t win, so he was focussed on keeping the score respectable.
We lost our confidence during that match and never got it back.
We changed our style….pre Liverpool we controlled games and took the game away from the opposition
After Liverpool we became totally reliant on a strong defence, sitting back soaking up pressure, then hitting on the break.

Last edited:
In the first half, Osborn apart, I didn't really have a fucking clue where anyone was playing. Norwood dropped deep enough to be in Egan's usual spot and the next minute he was right back up the pitch.

I was confused, and I liked it!

Agree….that Liverpool away game was the turning point.
I remember before that game….every single game home and away teams opposition trans struggled against us.
We showed the opposition no respect and played with freedom and no pressure.

The Liverpool game was as though Wilder knew we couldn’t win, so he was focussed on keeping the score respectable.
We lost our confidence during that match and never got it back.
We changed our style….pre Liverpool we controlled games and took the game away from the opposition
After Liverpool we became totally reliant on a strong defence, sitting back soaking up pressure, then hitting on the break.

On that night we were well beaten by the side that, pre that first lockdown, were probably the best side in Europe, not helped i think by a number of our key players who froze on the occasion. Just a few days before that we had gone to Man City and gone toe to toe with them and with a little more luck and some better refereeing we should have got a result.

For some unfathomable reason that game at Anfield seems to have convinced the management that we were not good enough to compete with teams in the Prem and we went turgid, defensive and negative.. I would love to know why..

From a personl point of view we turned from being the team and style of play I had most enjoyed watching in my Blades supporting life to one I dreaded watching as much as that second season Nigel Clough side.

Reminded me of when we were last back in the Championship, organised but free.

We looked a well drilled side and very structured, but with players being allowed to break out as they know someone will cover them if they go.

No disrespect to Donny, but they were a side with many players on trial and we have players like Berge, Norwood, Fleck, Mousset with obvious quality and experience.

I felt that Burke and McG were a little lost at times.

Norwich will be interesting

Doncaster were shocking, but we can only beat what's in front of us.
If the Norwich game is on it will be much more of a test, bit to soon for all this jizzing.

bea52d4948f976cf42122d497249a463fc8b904b.jpeg

Yeah first half it seemed we had a roaming midfield trio, more of that please. Can't see many Championship opposition sides handling that with much ease

100%

Jesus Christ - this.

Sometimes last season it felt like our mission was relegation. We'd steal or pick the ball up, have the perfect counter opportunity and then stand there and wait for the opposite defence to run back and get in to formation before starting our attack.

Back
Top Bottom