That Day at Darlington

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

That Dat at Darlington
Memories of an iconic away day from not only two fans that were there but the Legend himself and one of the days goal scorers Keith Edwards! Hope you enjoy Blades

I was there but I don’t lord it over winning a 4th division title it’s embarrassing really- how sad for a club with our history and size that this and a third division title is it for a hundred years almost

I was there but I don’t lord it over winning a 4th division title it’s embarrassing really- how sad for a club with our history and size that this and a third division title is it for a hundred years almost
I don't find it embarrassing at all. Quite the opposite in fact. It is a day out that will stick in my memory for the rest of my life and the one (along with the Leicester game) that I always quote as my best moment watching Utd. For me, it is what football is all about and puts all this shit about a european super league totally into perspective

I don't find it embarrassing at all. Quite the opposite in fact. It is a day out that will stick in my memory for the rest of my life and the one (along with the Leicester game) that I always quote as my best moment watching Utd. For me, it is what football is all about and puts all this shit about a european super league totally into perspective
Spot on, even when we were playing well last season after the restart and beating Chelsea, Spurs etc I still felt "meh" about it all. Football for me is going to games spending time with friends and family. I do think as United fans we are in fact lucky to have seen a great spectrum of "success" over the years. We've gone from atrocious to not bad and and as a result have had the chance to see a fair bit of the professional football pyramid, some clubs haven't changed division for decades at a time.

Might just be me but days at Northampton, Lecister and Stoke are my best in football. Being in the lower divisions also make the trips to the Emirates, Old Trafford seem special and not just another league game when they do come around.

Still my favourite day being a blade.
Purely for the fact that we had fans virtually in all four sides of the ground and sat on the edge of the pitch something that will never be allowed to happen ever again at a football match.
Probably not enough to get us an invite to the European Super league, but that special day was made special by the fans something the ESL seems to have totally disregarded.

darlington town centre that day was chaos 11k blades on a massive pub crawl the locals didnt know what had hit em mind the pubs must have made record profits that day dont think they would ever have served as many superheroes gorrillas vicars nuns or referees before lol

Enjoying days like that & turning out in huge numbers to watch our team at Stockport/ Darlington / Scunthorpe etc
Shows we aren’t plastics
We are Bladesmen

Couldn't agree more.

Bert can remember reading about one fan who was dressed as a Copper, stood in the road directing fans into a boozer.
He got arrested for impersonating a policeman. 😂
probably one of the 2 who were on our coach bert lol one of em is on here he will probably be along later reminiscing

Couldn't agree more.
Ask a Man City fan to decide between the AGUERROOO! moment or beating Gillingham in the play off final and they will have a hard time.

I wonder why some people even bother to follow a middling football team and not enjoy the happy times that come along. There was so much adversity surrounding the club at that time. That day will rightly be remembered with great affection by most Blades.

Another one for best day ever being a Blade. I missed Leicester but that wouldn't have made a difference. I started going to The Lane in 1972 as a nipper, and was probably too young to appreciate what I was watching then. 1981/82 was the first season I'd seen us go up rather than down. I think I've said this before but I remember* when promotion was confirmed, Peterborough failing to win at Hereford (*memory subject to being corrected) in a midweek game and was absolutely beside myself.

Ask a Man City fan to decide between the AGUERROOO! moment or beating Gillingham in the play off final and they will have a hard time.

I wonder why some people even bother to follow a middling football team and not enjoy the happy times that come along. There was so much adversity surrounding the club at that time. That day will rightly be remembered with great affection by most Blades.
And Man City fans have the luxury of being able to choose. We don't have an AGUEROO moment and I doubt we ever will unless someone mega rich buys us.
For the record I was at Darlington and enjoyed it as much as everyone else.
But I'm in my mid sixties and basically have that and Leicester. We happen to support what must be the biggest underachieving club in history.

And Man City fans have the luxury of being able to choose. We don't have an AGUEROO moment and I doubt we ever will unless someone mega rich buys us.
For the record I was at Darlington and enjoyed it as much as everyone else.
But I'm in my mid sixties and basically have that and Leicester. We happen to support what must be the biggest underachieving club in history.
I was making the point that cherished football memories aren't always about where you are, but where you're at.

I think there are dozens of clubs whose fans would claim to be the biggest underachievers in football. We're just one of them.

I was making the point that cherished football memories aren't always about where you are, but where you're at.

I think there are dozens of clubs whose fans would claim to be the biggest underachievers in football. We're just one of them.
You may be right but I can't think of any off hand. Even the pigs have tasted Europe.

You may be right but I can't think of any off hand. Even the pigs have tasted Europe.
True. In terms of European football I do think it's pretty poor. Especially when you look at clubs like Stoke, Bolton, Derby, Forest etc.

Reactions: SLB
Darlington was a great day. however, my favourite day is Blades v Watford May 1971. the only time I stood at the lane end got in free someone who my dad knew. had a silver disk no idea what that was for, to be honest. still on a high after the magnificent Cardiff match. the noise was deafening.
i remember the kop was packed we were 3-0 up. the only way I can explain thousands on the kop held a scarf above their head. like the Liverpool kop did.
Brilliant stuff I will never forget. I can,t wait to see Silent Blades 50 years ago will be covering those games very soon.

Dont know how you lot remember it all ,my memory of that day is my mate falling in a hole after the game ,cant recall the game at all.

I went by train from Leeds with a mate.

We got to the ground pretty early and stood near the back in the middle of their end.

We had no idea that we were in their end until some time before kick off about a dozen of them came walking down the side of the pitch chanting "the Darlo"

They climbed into the bottom right hand corner of the stand and that was the last we saw of them. 😂

An absolutely amazing day out and winning is winning at whatever level you are at.

Winning the champions league would feel no different to winning the 4th division to me, but then I don't need a boost from living in the reflected glory of a successful football club.

My favourite day as a Blade was Darlington away, it was absolutely brilliant. A close second was Leicester away but Darlington was just one of those days that will live with me forever as a Blade. Don’t know whether it was just a time when we were young and could stand up at matches but when will you ever get another opportunity to see players asking if we can move off the line so they can take a throw in or corner. Different times but better for me than the recent promotions and they were great but Darlington and Leicester were just the best of times. ⚔️

I was dressed as Freddie Starr’s “ Hitler “
Wello’s , shorts , tin foil iron cross , had to get changed for the do darn Cliffe though
And unfortunately one of my mates was arrested by a real policeman for scrapping with Middlesbrough fans who’d turned up to
“ congratulate “ us on our promotion 🙄

Last edited:
I was dressed as Freddie Starr’s “ Hitler “
Wello’s , shorts , tin foil iron cross , had to get changed for the do darn Cliffe though
And unfortunately one of my mates was arrested by a real policeman for scrapping with Middlesbrough fans who’d turned up to
“ congratulate “ us on our promotion 🙄
Don't think the Boro fans knew what was coming on top 🤔🤣,sent packing by babies with dummies ,nuns ,"coppers"sailors, assorted animals 😃

Another one for best day ever being a Blade. I missed Leicester but that wouldn't have made a difference. I started going to The Lane in 1972 as a nipper, and was probably too young to appreciate what I was watching then. 1981/82 was the first season I'd seen us go up rather than down. I think I've said this before but I remember* when promotion was confirmed, Peterborough failing to win at Hereford (*memory subject to being corrected) in a midweek game and was absolutely beside myself.
And I remember listening to Radio Sheff as United won 4-0 away at Peterborough in an April midweek game that really killed off their chance and put us into pole position. That and KE’s near last minute goal v Wigan the same season. What a season that was.

Back
Top Bottom