Thank you John Lundstram

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I’m actually more pissed off at Wilder than Lundstram.

JL clearly thought he was worth more than he was offered, we can debate about how much he’s worth all day but ultimately he felt like last season that if he was going to sit on the bench in the Premier League, he could do it for a club who were going to pay him an awful lot more money. Let’s be honest, he wasn’t wrong was he. If another club was going to take a chance on him at that level, they’d blow us out of the water in terms of wages. Regardless of what we think of him, there was a point last season where his stock would have been pretty high, in terms of another club willing to take a punt.

I’ve no doubt that his agent will have been in his ear about it too. Lundstram doesn’t really have any affiliation to the Blades so I’m not overly surprised that he’d have had his head turned.

Clearly the contract situation wasn’t getting resolved but Wilder decided to trust him. Fair enough, bit odd considering he bombed Duffy straight out but fair enough all the same. It wasn’t even like Lundstram wasn’t trying in the early part of the season, he just wasn’t fucking good enough like a lot of the team. I cannot for the life of me understand why Wilder didn’t drop him, the fact Lundstram has been allowed to toss it off for so long is down to Wilder. Continuing to play him without even questioning his commitment has basically given Lundstram free reign to fuck it off all season.

The worst thing about it is, Lundstram wants to be in the shop window to get the best deal and club possible. Can almost guarantee that if he’s have been dropped back in October, he might have got his shit together a bit more and actually been a worthwhile asset this season.

So basically, I don’t blame Lundstram for wanting a better deal at all. I don’t think he was worth all that much more but I can guarantee his agent has told him to stand his ground. Double edged sword at times for players. My biggest gripe is that he has tossed it off towards the end of this season and been a huge part of us going down with a whimper. Also, an honourable mention to Wilder for not having the balls to drop him despite acting like a complete prick to Mark Duffy in a similar situation.
The start of the end for Wilder. Couldn't believe that didn't look elsewhere for a replacement, based on the Duffy situation the year before. Almost as bad as not having a replacement for O'Connell.

We offered him a contract which didn’t interest him. That’s entirely up to him and he shouldn’t receive any criticism for that, none at all. I personally do not think he’s a PL player but if he believes he can get a PL contract then all power to his elbow.

I do think his performances and effort levels have dropped since the contract stand off became clear which I think he can be criticised for. He had a deal in place and in return we deserve his best until that expires and I don’t think he gave that.

Now he’s not going to play for us again we all need to move on and rightly or wrongly he’ll be forever be the player associated with this last season. Thats his Blade legacy.

He had a bit of a rough ride here. Not one that anyone took notice of or wanted in the team until the PL. Bit part player in the championship.

He performed his role last season v.well. Adding energy, bite and some well timed runs into the box.
After his refusal on the contract offer fans questioned his commitment. I think he was still committed pre Christmas whilst there was a chance still of survival.
I do think he has still been committed but his mindset will not be focused on doing his best for the team. He will naturally have part of his thoughts on keeping himself fit for a new transfer.
Sad end to what was a highlight of last season.

Do I think he can do it again at another club.... possibly. His assets are his energy, physique, two footed and timing runs into the box.
He fitted in our system last year in a flatter 3.
But I don't feel we will miss him too much going forward.
Best of luck to him but a bit of a sour end to his stint here ain't it.

One of the main reasons that we only scored 20 goals. He went from making attacks to stopping them. I lost count of how many times he had the chance to take the ball further up field but stopped , turned around and passed backwards.
Sorry Lunny, we only demand that players give their all for the cause. This season you have been nowhere near.

I don't get the people wanting him to be injured. That's just ridiculous. I do, however, want him the fuck away from my club, and ideally hoist by his own petard and forced to play at a lower level for a smaller club. That'd be his just desserts.

i cant understand posters on this thread defending lundstram and i cant forgive him for his total lack of effort this season he just spat the dummy out and downed tools why chris wilder kept picking him game after game is another mystery the wilder of 2 or 3 years ago definetly wouldnt have stood for performances that this guy put in glad to see the back of him

I think he’s the only outfield player to not have an injury all season, that says it all about the effort and how many challenges the lazy twat of a midfielder has put in all season. Sorry chaps, I find myself adding more and more to this thread about the useless waste of spunk which perhaps would’ve been better chucked on the curtain.

We have players that haven’t performed very well this season but you can see they are trying their bollocks off, McBurnie, Norwood and Stevens are three players that spring to mind, as fans I’m pretty sure that’s all we ask for because if the quality isn’t there, they aren’t been coached right and are told week after week that they aren’t good enough by their own gaffer in public we will at least see if they’re trying, our fans aren’t stupid John Lundstram. All you had to do was try, instead you pretended to try which ultimately looked even worse.

He was comfortably the best midfielder for over half the season, but the “he’s not signing” Bladey Blade mentality of most couldn’t accept that fact. He pathetically downed tools sometime around January and should have been dropped, but it says something about the performances of our lot that he wasn’t too much worse than the rest of the midfield after this point.

Anyway, that highlight reel misses his most representative moment of the season…

Whether you love or hate him I will never forget his goal against Palace Last season. First win back in the PL and we all went mad and was the start of a great season which exceeded all our expectations. Thanks for the good memories Lunny. Shame about the later poor performances.

His display against Leeds this year, when he constantly gave the ball away and couldn't even be bothered to run back was one of the most discraceful performances I have ever seen. He should have been stuck in the reserves with mousset at that point.
remember that game makes it all the more baffling why wilder couldnt or wouldnt see what all blades fans were seing in 60 years of following united ive never seen a player put performances in like that and get away with it

Amazed anyone thinks he`s had one decent game this season, he`s been a passenger every bloody game, useless , sulking, petty half arsed scumbag.

In days of yore, if a learned judge had seen the evidence of his 2020/21 season , he would be sent packing to the depths of an Australian penal colony. It is hoped that is where the shitbag ends up.

Anybody that has sympathy for him, just let it sink in that his effortless performances this season have probably 'earned' him over £500,000.

I have no problem at all with anyone asking for more money, but based on what? 3 months of last season, and nothing this year, try asking your boss for a better deal, based on the 3 months of last year, you beat the sales or production figures, great good job, but what about this year, what have you done this year? Forget loyalty to the club, he wasn't born here, didnt support the club, the club that bought him from Oxford, the club that gave him a chance in the PL, the club that paid his wages, and put him in the shop window, I can accept he isn't a supporter, what I can't accept, and imagine many managers will look at, his attitude, oh thanks Hecky he is great in training,,he has done sod all on the pitch,,point to anything this season he has done, that would make any manager put in a bid for him? Thats whats annoying people, fine he wants to leave, instead of putting himself in the shop window, he downed tools, that is indefensible and unforgivable.

)

Also not last season either, not all of it.

Went to shit before the JTW, then got binned and instead of accepting it was on form and working to get his place back, he acted like a tit as though we'd dropped prime Messi.

This season he continued playing like he was doing us a favour when it looked more like he'd won a competition in the star.

Has directly cost us in important situations, especially early in the season, who knows what might have happened if it hadn't taken us as long to get some points.

Awful attempts at tackling, awful penalties, awful attitude.
Couldn’t have put it better myself

I sometimes wonder how the Lundstram story would have panned out if we hadn’t signed Berge.

Berge started at Selhurst Park and Lundstram was on the bench.

We were rubbish that day despite winning 0:1.
Berge didn’t fit our system...a whole other topic!
We looked more coherent when JL replaced SB

Im not a Berge hater, I joined in with “he’s Norwegian” welcome at the final whistle etc, and he could become massive in the right system/club....but that’s when I think it changed re:JL

opinions eh....

I’ve said it plenty of times about him that a motivated John Lundstram is a serviceable high energy midfielder but he probably isn’t as good as his purple patch suggested android true level is closer to the average levels of performance we’ve seen from him across his time at United. That said he had a role to play this year but was far from committed which was his prerogative to protect his earning potential this summer. However, when that became apparent and it was apparent very quickly he should’ve been dropped even if it meant changing shape because he was a liability. The most unforgivable moment for me was Osborn’s goal when it was partially blocked on the line and Lundstram was in a central position 8 yards out from goal already on the half turn to start jogging back. If it hadn’t gone in he wouldn’t have got to the rebound first despite being in the best position because he wasn’t interested.

I sometimes wonder how the Lundstram story would have panned out if we hadn’t signed Berge.

Berge started at Selhurst Park and Lundstram was on the bench.

We were rubbish that day despite winning 0:1.
Berge didn’t fit our system...a whole other topic!
We looked more coherent when JL replaced SB

Im not a Berge hater, I joined in with “he’s Norwegian” welcome at the final whistle etc, and he could become massive in the right system/club....but that’s when I think it changed re:JL

opinions eh....

Besic had already got past Lundstram on form at that point though, Besic was the one who was hard done by with Berge going straight in at Selhurst Park.

Lundstram's performance levels fell off a cliff a few games before Palace away.

I've said on other threads that I honestly think that he's deliberately neshed 50/50s and had half hearted pathetic shots on purpose (also the 'slide tackle' on the touchline which led to a breakaway goal) because if the extreme grudge ho holds against the club/Wilder.
Sounds extreme but I believe he was probably angry when Berge signed on top wages and he was dropped after he'd put in his best performances around that time period.

He’s a limited midfielder that runs about and works hard when he feels like it. Played above his level for a short time last season and gained a few people fantasy football points so earned himself five minutes of hype.

Ten a penny player. No hard feelings but he wasn’t committed and I couldn’t care less that he’s gone.

My thoughts on Lunny are that he struggled to find a role/ dislodge any of the midfielders in Championship, remained patient and did a job whenever he came in.

Premier League he surprised most of us, but was better suited to the role when we removed the duffy role. Had a decent season last season, worked hard and linked up well with Bash and Baldock.

But he lost his way when Berge came in, Berge also being shoehorned into that right sided role, which didn’t suit him.

Between this and the contract issue, he really wasn’t himself this season.

I can’t say that he didn’t put the effort in, he definitely seemed to be committed to the team and his mates. However, there was a lack of competition and his standards appeared to drop visibly from where he’d been last season.

I presume he reached his peak last season, along with the rest of the side and it was hard for him to recapture those levels of performance.

Really intrigued as to where he ends up and wish him the best.

Cheers Lunny, you’ve given us some fantastic memories from last season

I wasn't and never have been a Lundstram hater, and was supportive of him when he was trying to fill Couttsys shoes and getting absolute pelters from 4 sides of the ground.....there was a player in there and it came out for a 3 month spell last season then disappeared again....so if he thinks 3 months out of 3 years deserves to become one of the highest paid players at the club then he really is in cloud-cuckoo land. Maybe if we had rolled over and paid him what he wanted his performances would have reflected it but he has effectively been in the shop window for a year and if any Prem team takes him on based on that then I will be gob-smacked.

Let's have it right, if CW hadn't taken a punt on JL he would still be languishing in League 1.

Back
Top Bottom