Teams that may get promoted to the Prem 2023/24

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

derfblade.3

Reaction score
Just seen the thread on who may go down, but on the flip side, who could join us (hopefully) from the division that has just become the strongest (apparently) set of teams as opposed to last seasons weakest (apparently) set of teams in the Championship?
Because of the parachute payments i can only see the 3 relegated sides coming back.
I suppose it depends on what players Leeds, Saints and Leicester can keep hold of.
Dark horses? Maybe Watford (if they get their shit together) , Stoke and maybe Boro.

Seem to say the same every year, but it's hard to see past the relegated 3

Southampton look best set to me

Then Leeds, then Leicester

The Great Boro and Stoke best of the rest

Sunderland and Blackburn should do well again

Bit early to say when we don't know who the managers will be of all the clubs and who they are about to sign.

I have an inkling for one of the bottom three in the Championship but I'm not going to say 😉

Southampton Leicester top 2
Rest of top 6
Leeds ( depending on who they sell )
Boro ( if they keep Asamba & Archer )
Norwich
Watford ( if they get there shit together)
Sunlan & Ipswich as outsiders

I'll guess a top 3 of Leicester, Southampton and Middlesbrough. In that order if I really had to guess. I reserve judgement on playoff winner until slightly nearer the time!

If Leeds keep Allardyce, don't sell too many, and give him a transfer window to hoof up the squad a bit, he'll get them in the top 2

I think Southampton may struggle, especially as you’d expect their better players to probably leave.

Seem to say the same every year, but it's hard to see past the relegated 3

Southampton look best set to me

Then Leeds, then Leicester

The Great Boro and Stoke best of the rest

Sunderland and Blackburn should do well again
Nobody told me that Boro didn’t get promoted…Who knew?

Leicester and Southampton's teams are going to get scavenged. Leicester's squad isn't great and I don't know who's going to score the goals for them. That said, both sides will bank a significant amount of income and should be towards the top. Leeds are a mess, they've got a Championship squad on Premier League money (Rutter anyone?). Boro's drop off and subsequent playoff defeat should be a concern and there are question marks over whether Sunderland and Coventry can repeat their seasons given their better players were either on loan or coveted by Premier League teams. Next up are the sides relegated over the past two seasons; Norwich, West Brom and Watford have all lost their way to an extent but have shown signs of improvement. Ipswich look to have the momentum but Plymouth are probably going to be the southern Rotherham - too good for League One, struggle in the Championship.

I don't think anyone will run away with it. I think the top 8 will be really competitive and it wouldn't surprise me at all if there's a lot still to be finalised on the last day.

Challenging for autos: Leicester, Southampton
Should be top 6: Boro, Leeds, Sunderland
5th-10th (in and around the playoffs): West Brom, Watford, Norwich, Ipswich, Swansea
Mid-table non-entities: Coventry, Bristol City, Preston, Hull, Blackburn, Stoke, Millwall
Looking over their shoulders: Rotherham, Huddersfield, Birmingham
In real trouble: Wednesday, Plymouth, QPR, Cardiff

Thought ‘boro got promoted in February and Akpom won the ballon d’or

Obviously, it's far too early to judge which teams are likely to be up there without knowing what happens with managers or in the transfer market.

Both Leeds and Southampton have great youth set-ups and homegrown players. I expect those to fill the gaps that leave, along with both spending to go straight back up.

I expect them both to occupy the automatic spots.

I expect the play-off contenders to be:

Boro
Sunderland
Ipswich
Leicester
Norwich

Maybe

WBA
Watford

As ever, being the best team isn't as important as being the most consistent team.

Wrexham will walk the Championship, with Wrexham Reserves as runners-up. Wrexham Under 21s will be triumphant in front of half a million at Wembley, narrowly beating Wrexham Under 16s to the play-off spot, with Wrexham Ladies and Wrexham Under 12s as the beaten play off semi-finalists. BBC will jizz their Y-fronts for a year until they all occupy the Champions Leagues spots in 2 years time, after which the BBC will simply explode in a cavalcade of semen and fanny batter.......

Leicester have a massive problem with FFP. They had wages of £180m for 2021-22 and I doubt it would be less for the season just gone, they had losses of £90m in 2021-22 but that will be helped by the sale of Fofana. But over the three seasons to the end of next year, 2023-24, they are allowed (under FFP) losses of total £83m for the three years.

If they don't get the losses down low enough, they will get a transfer embargo. So if they don't go straight back up, they're stuffed. (Possible points deduction, but unlikely I reckon.) But to get the losses down low enough, they will need to generate profits by selling everyone saleable, and also reduce wages by getting shut of everyone they can.

It worked for Burnley, but we only had to reduce wages from £90m to about £40m. I doubt Leicester can do that and stay competitive.

Hi Stegosaurus here,

I do think it likely Wednesday will get promoted. They're much too big a club for that league and are a sleeping giant that's been slumbering since 2000 and it is about time the giant was awoken. They did excellent in League 1, which is actually a stronger league than the Championship last year--so certainly, if they had been playing in the Championship, they'd have walked it. Last year's Championship was full of tinpot, pisspot clubs.

It will be a big ask because this year, the Championship is probably the strongest its been for decades with big clubs like Wednesday, Leeds, Leicester, Southampton, Ipswich and Plymouth adding some much needed spice to the league and replacing some of the driftwood which made it such a weak league this year.

And if they do get promoted, they'll stay there because it's clear from the fact they took 60,000 fans to Wembley that the support is there. All it needs is investment and a new stadium being built and Wednesday will be pulling in that many fans each week. And I think, after they get promoted, investors will come---they're been spoken about all around the world at the moment because of their massive win over Peterborough.

I wouldn’t mind seeing Sunderland go up if I’m honest
I get all the mocking of Boro and Carrick due to the media love in but if he stays and Gibson gives him money then I can see them being strong
Leeds if they keep big Sam

Watford will have sacked every manager ever by Jan and will be hiring me as new manager so I will he trying to get Osula on loan

Anyone from

Coventry
West Bromwich
Watford
Southampton
Blackburn
Sunderland
Leicester
Leeds
Middlesbrough
Norwich
Swansea

Plus a few others. Could be difficult next year.

Just seen the thread on who may go down, but on the flip side, who could join us (hopefully) from the division that has just become the strongest (apparently) set of teams as opposed to last seasons weakest (apparently) set of teams in the Championship?
Because of the parachute payments i can only see the 3 relegated sides coming back.
I suppose it depends on what players Leeds, Saints and Leicester can keep hold of.
Dark horses? Maybe Watford (if they get their shit together) , Stoke and maybe Boro.
my prediction: i have a feeling Leicester will struggle to mid-table outside of the playoffs, Leeds will be top 6, Southampton will win the league, and then Watford will go up autos.

Boro are in for a tough season as Carrick will get found out

Think it hinges massively on which players teams can hang on to - that goes for the relegated 3 and current teams. On paper Leicester and Saints have easily the best squads, but you would think PL teams will almost certainly swoop in for the jewels in the crowns (Maddison, Ward-Prowse, etc...).

That also goes for teams like Boro/Cov who didn't quite make the cut, you'd think Cov will lose Gyorkeres, Boro will hope to hang on to Akpom but I'd be surprised if Archer doesn't get taken on by a PL team, whether on loan or permanent.

I'm going with Nowich, Southampton and Sunderland. I feel that there is too much discontent and mismanagement at the top at Leicester and Leeds, could see them floundering in mid table.

Back
Top Bottom