SUFC Women - worth a watch?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I took my daughter to Liverpool v bladettes game the other year when we got a record crowd. She found it boring and "rubbish" compared to men's game.

I personally found it much slower. Keepers were poor. Nearly every Liverpoll shot went in.

I'm grateful they get more coverage - it's infinitely better than the EFL programme on ITV.👍
It certainly is. Both the quality (apart from a few Championship and L1 games) and coverage are garbage. Seriously thought about getting down to BDTBL to support the women!!

Sky don’t have the rights to show Bundesliga matches in much the same way that the BBC can’t show Premier League matches just because they’re on!
Skysports do have the bundesliga rights. They just don't like using those rights to actually show the bundesliga, as long as there's some netball or women's football they can stick on instead, so it's understandable how you could be mistaken

Reactions: Dkc
I hope I'm wrong but I don't think it will ever be much more popular than it is now. IMO this is because of 2 main reasons. 1 being the main demographic watching football (men) have always been invested in the mens team. You usually need that inbuilt investment in a team to go and watch them consistently. The other reason is that a lot, lot less women than men attend football matches, or watch them on tv.

With that said, I think the coverage should look to reflect the popularity of any given sport. That's not a gender thing, that just tends to be what happens. Skiing gets less coverage than, say, cricket for example. For some reason though they are bucking the trend with womens football, choosing to produce a lot of coverage despite popularity being low. If it's to try to somehow manufacture an increase in the popularity, I'm not sure that's the right thing to do for the sport, it could be turning people against it more than anything, and isn't fair on the other sports whose normal level of coverage has become less because of it.

Going out of your way to say you won't watch it because the standard is lower, or saying the coverage is being shoved down our throats misses the point.

The standard is lower, without a doubt, because of a century of womans football being banned from FA pitches and zero investment in the womans game until about 20 years ago.

When I was at school boys played football and woman played netball, womans football didn't exist. Its going to take time for the game to catch up, the only way for the standard to improve is by investment in the game and promotion of it. The only way to achieve both of these things is by increased coverage.

In terms of the amount of coverage and being forced to watch it, if you're that bothered just watch something else. Put Netflx on or something. But womans football is now being given the chance to catch up, which includes exposure.

I guess my point is, the more kids see it as 'normal' the more likely they are to get involved, and if the infrastructure and investment slowly rises, the standard will rise too. I think that's a fair way of doing things. O don't think anyone demands instant equality in standard or pay, but equal right of access should be standard.

I’ve taken my daughter (now 11) to watch numerous (men’s) matches, both United and England, and she’s shown little enthusiasm or desire to get into football. She then watched the England women’s team on the telly over the summer and has since joined a girls’ football team and wants me to take her to a women’s match.
The euros did wonders for our young girls dint it

If it's to try to somehow manufacture an increase in the popularity, I'm not sure that's the right thing to do for the sport, it could be turning people against it more than anything
That's exactly what happens with this sort of thing IMO

Men taking up following women’s sport is fine, I am quite happy to watch England women’s games myself but surely it has to live or die mostly on women and girls getting into it and starting to attend. They are the key target audience surely. If they can’t crack that market it will remain under attended. The Euros certainly showed that there is an interest but it needs to now grow attendance levels at club games. It’s not going to be overnight but to grow gradually year on year.

It's possible to enjoy women's football, and detest the fact that it's being rammed down our throats.
I went to few of the Euros games and they were very enjoyable.
I've not been to United game yet because there is often a big drop off in standard from the top level but based on some of the comments here I'll probably give it a go, that's despite being beaten over the head with it, not because I'm being beaten over the head with it.

(Not to derail things but it's a bit like the death of the Queen in that way. You can reflect on it your own way - even if you're essentially a Republican - but wholeheartedly detest the forced compliance.)

I went along yesterday and it was decent. Bit too one-sided, Coventry were very poor and it could have been double what it was, but we look to have a pretty decent women's side. Atmosphere was obviously nothing like a men's game, but if you're taking young kids in some ways it's a much better intro into football for them. Not something I'll go to regularly but I'll prob take my daughter again at some point.

Going out of your way to say you won't watch it because the standard is lower, or saying the coverage is being shoved down our throats misses the point.

The standard is lower, without a doubt, because of a century of womans football being banned from FA pitches and zero investment in the womans game until about 20 years ago.

When I was at school boys played football and woman played netball, womans football didn't exist. Its going to take time for the game to catch up, the only way for the standard to improve is by investment in the game and promotion of it. The only way to achieve both of these things is by increased coverage.

In terms of the amount of coverage and being forced to watch it, if you're that bothered just watch something else. Put Netflx on or something. But womans football is now being given the chance to catch up, which includes exposure.

I guess my point is, the more kids see it as 'normal' the more likely they are to get involved, and if the infrastructure and investment slowly rises, the standard will rise too. I think that's a fair way of doing things. O don't think anyone demands instant equality in standard or pay, but equal right of access should be standard.

Agree to many of your points but the elephant in the room is, football is a physical sport and nature says women can never naturally be as strong as men, so it becomes almost a different game

The best way to make it more similar is slightly smaller pitches, smaller goals and shorter game time..

Without steroids and centuries of evolution the best the women’s game can ever be is the level of under 16’s school boy football.

Last edited:
Agree to many of your points but the elephant in the room is, football is a physical sport and nature says women can never naturally be as strong as men, so it becomes almost a different game

The best way to make it more similar is slightly smaller pitches, smaller goals and shorter game time..

Without steroids and centuries of evolution the best the women’s game can ever be is the level of under 16’s school boy football.
Completely get this to a point, but one of the arguments in favour of the womans game which I tend to agree with, is that the womans game is different and has its plus points. The womans game can become great for different reasons to the mens game, much like tennis

My kid plays under-11s and a couple of the girls run rings round the boys every week. They are really, really good. But it’s only in the last few years they’ve even had the opportunity to play. The standard of the women’s game will continue to improve, without a doubt.

Not for me at all. No edge to it and the standard isn't good. Imagine it's worthwhile if you have young kids as the atmosphere is definitely more family friendly.

Personally I'd rather go watch a decent Sunday league game. To each, their own I guess.

Love it

"Standard isn't is good, I'd rather watch some really shit football instead"

It would be nice if those who wanted to could watch the highlights of the women’s matches on the OS in the same way that we can the men’s. I’m presuming that there are contractual reasons why we can’t?

Took my 4 year old daughter along yesterday with my mate and his son. They both enjoyed it and wanted to stay til the end (aided by a regular supply of crisps, pop and sweets)

Good day out and like many have said it will likely prove a good entry point to the game for a lot of kids.

Atmosphere similar to what it used to be at reserve games. More family orientated.

There was a significant gulf in class as the score line suggests. Blades looked good but a way off the level off the level of the better sides that featured in this summer’s euros.

Don’t really get the “rammed down our throats” mantra I keep seeing. It’s getting a good level of coverage but how else do they grow the sport. Golf, Rugby and F1 are 3 sports I can think of that get loads of airtime which I have zero interest in but I don’t feel that I’m somehow being forced into watching.

For me it’s good to see United having a strong womens side. Can only grow interest in the club as a whole. As mentioned above Wednesday’s Womens side play park football and aren’t really part of the club, just carry the name and buy kit off them at a discounted rate. I know somebody involved with SWFC women’s side and says they get treated pretty shabbily by the supposed “massive” club.

One point though - there were 1,100 there today and the catering was still a fucking shambles.

Love it

"Standard isn't is good, I'd rather watch some really shit football instead"
The standard is largely what you'd get at a decent Sunday league level. Only without the bit of needle that makes Sunday league decent. That doesn't exist in the women's game (for better or worse depending on your viewpoint). For me personally I don't like that sanitised atmosphere so I choose not to watch it.

Not really sure what's contentious there to be honest.

The standard is largely what you'd get at a decent Sunday league level. Only without the bit of needle that makes Sunday league decent. That doesn't exist in the women's game (for better or worse depending on your viewpoint). For me personally I don't like that sanitised atmosphere so I choose not to watch it.

Not really sure what's contentious there to be honest.
Fair enough if that’s your view, but there really is some needle in the games. Not in the stands so much at the moment, but I think you can be partisan in a football crowd without being aggro. What’s interesting is that rivalries in womens football don’t always match those of the mens game. If you want some needle, Katie McCabe in particular is one player in the WSL who is always kicking off much like our George Baldock, few bits in this video here: .

Georgia Stanway, Euros winner, who was at Man City but has gone to Bayern Munich is also a famously dirty tackler and seems to always be on a yellow card. There is a clip of her pulling a USA players ponytail which caused much controversy, seen at the start of this video

I see that SUFC Women have leathered Coventry 8-0 at the Lane in front of just over 1,000 fans.

Just wondered if anyone has been to watch them and whether you think they could get promoted to the WSL this season?

Personally, I’ve really struggled with the saturation of women’s football on TV and in the mainstream media. I still think the standard is largely mediocre and yet increasingly the women’s game gets more coverage than the men’s EFL, which I find infuriating.

For me, the worst thing possible was England women winning the Euros as womens football would be rammed down our throats even more. I’m just being honest…

However I’m prepared to change my view and I am starting to take note of the SUFC Women’s team. Honest ex-pro Neil Redfearn is at the helm and I was very impressed by the captain Courtney Sweetman-Kirk who has bagged some great goals recently. She looks a talented player and was doing some punditry on Sky Sports News last week.

SUTV are doing a good job of promoting the women’s team without it feeling too overbearing. They had one of the SUFC women player’s in the studio for one of our recent league games. Forgive me, I forget her name but she spoke extremely well and had excellent knowledge.

I’m not sure how I feel about the women playing at BDTBL potentially clogging the pitch up. But I accept my view might be shortsighted and clearly women’s football is set to flourish further.

Im starting to take more of an interest and there seems to be a feel good factor right throughout the club at the moment. Just wondered if anyone like me is prepared to reconsider their preconceived opinions?

Attachments

• received_462230712417007.jpeg
    received_462230712417007.jpeg
    38.4 KB · Views: 32
It's possible to enjoy women's football, and detest the fact that it's being rammed down our throats.
I went to few of the Euros games and they were very enjoyable.
I've not been to United game yet because there is often a big drop off in standard from the top level but based on some of the comments here I'll probably give it a go, that's despite being beaten over the head with it, not because I'm being beaten over the head with it.

(Not to derail things but it's a bit like the death of the Queen in that way. You can reflect on it your own way - even if you're essentially a Republican - but wholeheartedly detest the forced compliance.)

There are more adverts than there used to be but that's because it's more popular than it used to be. If you go on Sky Sports website now there is a news article about women's football but it's 11 articles down the page. on BBC Sport's page the 10th article on the page is about women's football.

So I'm genuinely interested to know how you feel it's being rammed down our throats?

There are more adverts than there used to be but that's because it's more popular than it used to be. If you go on Sky Sports website now there is a news article about women's football but it's 11 articles down the page. on BBC Sport's page the 10th article on the page is about women's football.

So I'm genuinely interested to know how you feel it's being rammed down our throats?

The footie is not being rammed down my personal throat any more because, like a lab rat who's had a few too many electric shocks, I've learned what to do to avoid it. I now know what to do to find the men's football, and when I want to, the women's football. Pavlov would be proud.

But here's BBC cricket as an example. I didn't go searching for this to make a point, I have this page bookmarked, I use it to click through to the Scores and Fixtures, generally to see how Yorkshire are getting on. It's the main cricket page on the BBC website.

Anyway, the top two images are County Championship and England in Pakistan. After that there are eight images and five of them relate to women's cricket. This seems absurdly disproportionate.

If I want to find out what's going on in cricket I head for cricinfo.

1663668154782.png

but it is disproportionate
Womens football doesn’t even have the fan base of the National league. 2K average v 3K average.
Even the 2K average is an artificially high stat, almost all games in the womens top flight are 1K but they have the occasional fill the stadium promotion of free tickets or £1 tickets boosting the seasonal average league attendance to 2K.

So where are the match reports on the BBC website for the non league?
On Talksport radio they have reporters at every top flight womens match but have none at National league matches.
They even do live commentaries for the womens game but nothing for the non league.

Sky does show the occasional National League match but the publicity is far behind the woman's game.
It‘s a form of positive discrimination to promote a sport, I get that and agree that the womens game needs a helping hand.
However I sometimes think how long will this continue for before normal economics of supply and demand kick-in?

It’s an interesting experiment that I’m watching with interest.
Is it possible to create a “paying” market that 10 years ago didn‘t exist?
Think the important word is paying, international tournaments that receive heavy promotion will always drum up huge interest when they are free.
People might attend womens football matches if it’s free or £5…but is there a market out there to pay £15 or E20 a match in the top flight?

Last edited:
A few points to make that I doubt have been mentioned yet. Hopefully they may change a few people's minds or certainly give you something to really think about. Remember these are just MY observations and I come from a place of total neutrality.

I have found increasingly the women’s game gets more coverage than the men’s EFL, which I find infuriating. Indeed, I’ve really struggled with the saturation of women’s football on TV and in the mainstream media generally. I went on the BBC website today and underneath all the male football news and other male sports news there was clearly, not only an article about some girls game, but also highlights of said game as well. Just feels to me like this is being completely rammed down my throat. What if I didn't want to see the article headline and picture of them celebrating on the thumbnail for the highlights? I can't very well unsee that now can I? Was I asked if I'm interested in girls football? Of course not. Pay your licence fee, shut up, watch this.

Carrying on from my previous point, I am also of the view that the worst thing possible was England women winning the Euro Vase this summer. As I knew womens football would then be rammed down our throats even more. See above for how that's turned out!

I noticed on sky this weekend that during the coverage of the men's football they mentioned other football matches. Most of these were for other mens games which is fine. I couldn't help notice however that they also flagged the woman ones as well. I mean I have no problem with them being allowed to play but this is exactly the point I was making previously. Why do they have to ram it down my throat? If they are going to play why can't they just play and not tell anyone? More on this later. It all stinks of an attitude from the mainstream media of YOU WILL WATCH WOMEN'S FOOTBALL. Well if they think they can force me to watch it they are in for a rude awakening. I immediately turned off the TV. Absolutely nothing they could do to stop me, though I'm sure they would if they could!

With the TV now safely off and my throat clear it was on to the internet for a bit of research. I was still quite angry and upset about the earlier mention of the women so decided to check out the viewing figures these silly games attract. Needless to say I was far from surprised to learn that they are an embarrassment. A fraction of what you would expect. Nowhere nearbthe men's figures! All I've heard from the these so called women is that they want equal pay with their male counterparts. They are actually demanding this! I pointed out to my mate on twitter that the money the men bring in is far more than any women, therefore why should they get equal pay? We both agreed how desperate they were trying to cling to the coattails of the men. If you want equal pay EARN IT.

I moved on to give my thoughts on the new little mermaid film, (AVOID! They have completely ruined it by changing the story which now makes no sense at all) before deciding I wanted to watch some proper football again. Back on went the TV as I knew there was a big fixture in the Germany All Men's Only division. Alas, as I scrolled through the different sport channels no listing for men football was there. Oh sure there was Hockey, (girls) Netball (HA!) and more girl football (of course). I know sky have the rights to show men but obviously they'd rather carry on their obvious agenda. Back off went the TV.

I rang my mate from twitter. Wasn't prepared to go back online as I know that's a huge part of where sky and the rest of the lamestream media push their narrative. Well good luck forcing it on me!

We discussed the traumatic afternoon I'd had and both came to a rather unsettling and terrifying conclusion. You may want to grab a pen and make notes as when me and my mate get going there are intellectual fireworks. My pal is one of the best people I know. He's a real free thinker. He doesn't watch the BBC or any of those other channels who are all part of the agenda to paint women as being nearly as good as men at stuff. He's what I'd call a straight shooter. A real guys guy. I just love how he tells it like it is. No messing about. We both concluded that by choosing to produce a lot of coverage on women having a kick about, despite popularity being low, they are actually trying to somehow manufacture an increase in the popularity. Very dishonest but this is the media we're talking about! My mate explained how that's not the right thing to do for the sport. It could be turning people against it more than anything which is a real concern of mine. And it isn't fair on the other sports either. Their normal level of coverage has become less because of it, which is something the mainstream media refuse to report on.

This is where we are now. Other sports are suffering because this rubbish is rammed down our throats 24/7. When was the last time a girls game wasn't on TV? Go on. I'll wait.

Anyway, I have no problem with them pretending to play if they want. Think I've got slightly more important things to worry about than a group of girls trying to play football! But it's really unfair on the other sports and people who don't want to watch it. And as someone who loves and respects all sports I find that an absolute disgrace.

Probably get slated for my views from MSM snowflakes but I'm just saying what most of you are thinking.

but it is disproportionate
Womens football doesn’t even have the fan base of the National league. 2K average v 3K average.
Even the 2K average is an artificially high stat, almost all games in the womens top flight are 1K but they have the occasional fill the stadium promotion of free tickets or £1 tickets boosting the seasonal average league attendance to 2K.

It’s an interesting experiment that I’m watching with interest.
Is it possible to create a “paying” market that 10 years ago didn‘t exist?
Tried to edit this…but run out of time.

Wanted to add that the 2K average in the womens top flight was pre-covid and pre England Euro success.

This season many clubs have announced they will allow the womens team to use the mens stadium.
So attendances should hit a record high and might even average around to 5K mark.

However will this help or hinder the game in the long term?
It never looks right and spoils the experience having 5K at a 40K or 50K stadium.

Tried to edit this…but run out of time.

Wanted to add that the 2K average in the womens top flight was pre-covid and pre England Euro success.

This season many clubs have announced they will allow the womens team to use the mens stadium.
So attendances should hit a record high and might even average around to 5K mark.

However will this help or hinder the game in the long term?
It never looks right and spoils the experience having 5K at a 40K or 50K stadium.

I agree having a stadium only 10% full doesn't look great, but at the same time how incredible that after the exposure gained from the Euros we're now talking about averages of 5,000! More than double the pre-Covid average. That's quite incredible and shows that the increased exposure is working to promote the game.

Have to disagree with your point about it being disproportionate though. They aren't just showing any old women's football they're showing the best women's teams playing in the WSL, in the same way that all the PL matches are shown on TV and a lot of the Championship matches are. Men's football is far more popular for reasons that have been done to death on this and other threads but that popularity shouldn't mean that women's football has to raise itself to the heights of the EFL Championship before they're allowed any coverage?!?

The two sports are not equal, we know that and people remind us of that at every opportunity. But the women who are playing in the WSL are at a far higher level in their sport than the men who are playing in the Vanarama National and this is why they get the small little bit of coverage that they do.

Back
Top Bottom