Substitutions Cost Us

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Wilder is not only totally stupid at substitutions , he repeats his errors time & again in the face of incontrovertible evidence.

Look at how long it took the stubborn twonk to replace Gbric with Wes and look at what Wes did tonight.

Look at how Norwood simply can't fuckin move and how many times we've lost late goals when he arrives.

Wilder either can't see the bleeding obvious or he enjoys failure.

FFS the pointing traffic cone Norwood is NOT the sub to bring on late in any game - he absolutely can't help with the athletic defending required to see a game out against superior opposition.

It worries me to death that Wilder is gonna keep Norwood for next season because if not , there is no logic to puttng him on , unless there is some financial dodge going on.

Norwood has done some great service IN THE PAST but he is near the top of my list of players I can't tolerate seeing any more , not even for a few minutes.

We keep Gbric & Souza & Norwood and I reckon there's good legal grounds for a refund on my ST.

Wilder needs to show his stubborn nature with the Prince & his budget - not with the selection of a useless goalie or the repeated use of a decrepit midfielder to close out a game.

C'mon Chris , are you feckin blind ?

Sam Curtis?
As I keep saying multiple times.

Watch some development games with him. He’s so far away from it currently. That’s me being generous.

Explains it all, Wilder would do anything to not put him on as he’s not good enough. Maybe in the future but right now he’s Irish league standard. He is there for development.

Copy and paste this thread for every game this season.
Happened numerous times this season : going into the last 10 min plus injury time: substitutes made : Why would any Manager make changers if they wernt necessary for differing reasons usually fitness.Been a big problem all season including last night.

The problem isn't that Norwood has come on. It's that by 75 minutes every player is run ragged and simply can't keep chasing. We're then forced into substitutions in an attempt to stop the inevitable. When the opposition is having 3 or 4 times the amount of possession you are, it's always going to take it out of the players, especially in today's game where on the 75th minute you still have 25 to go.
The squad isn't good enough, the tactics aren't good enough. It has nothing to do with bringing on one player who doesn't have the pace.

His involvement on the goals:

3rd:
Norwood decides he can't let McTominay go. It means he can't get close to Fernandes, who is in his favourite position, centrally outside the box. IMO Trusty has McTominay covered and Arblaster may even be able to intercept such a pass. Trusty seems to scream at the midfield/Norwood to mark Fernandes.

View attachment 182480

4th:

Again Man Utd have attacked down our left, then switched the ball inside. Norwood again has no desire to close down Dalot. Souza tries to do that, from a bigger distance, and can't get there. Dalot chips it in behind, and our defence is not alert enough to track Fernandes' run.

View attachment 182481

Even though Norwood doesn't make huge mistakes on either goal, he shows what he doesn't offer these days. He can't get around the pitch quickly enough and is found wanting too often.

I'm surprised Wilder still keeps thinking Norwood's the man to make sure the points don't slip away, rather than players who can run.

The still image doesn’t really tell the entire picture though. For the 3rd goal Norwood rightly follows his man, McTominay. As you point out, the still image shows he didn’t need to as Trusty could’ve covered him but he wouldn’t have known that in the time it took the situation to develop. I agree that in the image it looks like Trusty is shouting at the midfield/Norwood but by that point it’s too late. Within about a second of that still frame Fernandes has taken the shot. They’d done a good job of dragging us about.

I haven’t looked at the 4th yet.

I shook my head as soon as I saw Norwood coming on, and knew what was coming, but the fact that people are clamouring for Slimane (who gets walked around like a traffic cone and is completely anonymous every time he plays) or Curtis (who no one has ever seen kick a football), highlights perfectly what Wilder's conundrum is.

Serious question...are you deluded or thick? We had Curtis on the bench who plays EXACTLY the same position as Bogle 😂 it's very very simple

It's OK, Bladezz has some sort of vendetta against Curtis and is of the opinion that he will never at any point in his career being good enough for any club bigger than Woking

Maybe because this is Norwoods last season he’s racking up some appearance money
Don’t be too sure about that, he’s always been teachers pet when it comes to Wilder. Might get another year in the Champs.

In training take 4 players who will be on the bench and make them do nothing else but RUN. Run over and over again until they can quite simply run for 15 minutes without stopping.

75 minutes use 1-4 of these subs and tell them quite clearly that they do nothing else but run and press the opposition. Tell them it's only for 15 minutes. Just Do It.

Let's see if we can hang onto what ever we've got up to the final whistle.

In training take 4 players who will be on the bench and make them do nothing else but RUN. Run over and over again until they can quite simply run for 15 minutes without stopping.

75 minutes use 1-4 of these subs and tell them quite clearly that they do nothing else but run and press the opposition. Tell them it's only for 15 minutes. Just Do It.

Let's see if we can hang onto what ever we've got up to the final whistle.
1714033532620.png

I had 2-2 on Betfred last night and was prepared to not cash out as we were holding Manure quite well. Then Norwood came on and i immediately cashed out. 2 mins later Manure scored. Wise decision.
Ollie has been great for us but the lads legs have gone and he's slow at closing down.
Thanks Ollie lad but it's time to move on.

Anyone except Norwood. Every time he is subbed on we lose guaranteed. Through gritted teeth he finally (10 games too late IMO) brings in Wes for Garbage. Just enough time to ensure the season is well and truly over. Between them both the Prince & Wilder have destroyed our club - please I beg you both fuck off!
The last 3 managers up to and including Wilder have made SOME mistakes but the real culprit in all of this is the owner and nobody else

I’m afraid to say Wilders subs cost us yet again
With Bogle injured, Archers not played in months & Brooks struggling in the first half I’m intrigued to how you think the subs could have been better?

Bogle - only other option was Curtis who’s not ready from what u23 spectators have said or Laroucci and move Osborn over? To be honest the decision he made to bring Norwood on was probably a choice between Norwood & Slimane for me and all the options are nowhere near the level required

Brooks - Souza is the obvious choice as he’s better than the alternatives.

Archer - You've got McAtee or Osula. Both out form.

Easy to criticise Wilder, Hecky or whoever else took us over this season but the squad is pathetic. The lack of strength in depth is the issue. I’m sure Wilder would loved to have had Baldock on the bench.

75 minutes of Bogle 2 conceded 1 a dodgy penalty 15 minutes of Norwood we conede as many in a fifth of the time.....and its not the first occasion its happened....
Without any of his fitness stats how can you possibly say if he needed to come off or not?
What we do know is we 100% cannot afford to not have Bogle fit for the last few games as we have no alternate option at RB to cover.

Our number of goals conceded in the last 70% of a game are there for all to see who have eyes. It's not about the personnel coming on, its the drop in quality an intensity we can't compete with, especially when compared to who the opposition are bringing on and their ability to make actual tactical substitutions.

The still image doesn’t really tell the entire picture though. For the 3rd goal Norwood rightly follows his man, McTominay. As you point out, the still image shows he didn’t need to as Trusty could’ve covered him but he wouldn’t have known that in the time it took the situation to develop. I agree that in the image it looks like Trusty is shouting at the midfield/Norwood but by that point it’s too late. Within about a second of that still frame Fernandes has taken the shot. They’d done a good job of dragging us about.

I haven’t looked at the 4th yet.
I don't agree with that. Moments before Norwood has a look inside and spots Fernandes.

1714039990114.jpeg

He has to prioritise and decide which is the biggest threat. There's not always time for the pointing and shouting at this level - players have to be drilled, but also have the individual awareness, focus and instinct to combat the ever-changing threats of the opposition.

Norwood was RCM and can't just ignore 1) the danger area just outside the box and 2) a world class playmaker and shooter, because there's another, more convenient opponent outside our LCB to cling onto.

I don't agree with that. Moments before Norwood has a look inside and spots Fernandes.

View attachment 182500

He has to prioritise and decide which is the biggest threat. There's not always time for the pointing and shouting at this level - players have to be drilled, but also have the individual awareness, focus and instinct to combat the ever-changing threats of the opposition.

Norwood was RCM and can't just ignore 1) the danger area just outside the box and 2) a world class playmaker and shooter, because there's another, more convenient opponent outside our LCB to cling onto.
The 19/20 team was so well drilled that those decisions were all made without thought or the need for communication. The defensive rotations were absolutely superb and the institutional knowledge/shared experience made the whole defensive set up sing.

Compare that to now, a different team every week, players who've barely played together, no real defensive identity other than "sit deep". You can almost see some of the players agonising over decisions on where to be and who to mark and by the time you've done that, the whole picture has changed and everyone looks out of position

To make the numbers. We do have quite a few injuries to key defenders if I remember rightly
This is the kid that numerous top sides were after. If u r good enough u r old enough. I think he's the same age as Mainoo who is not only starting for Man U but played himself into the England team

We r down, what harm can it do to give him 10 mins at the end of a game?

View attachment 182500

McTominay was his man to mark. The biggest issue is whoever should have been marking Fernandes but wasn't. Using the benefit of hindsight we can agree that Norwood should've stepped inside and marked Fernandes instead but not doing so in that situation, given the speed in which the play developed, doesn't necessarily make the goal Norwood's fault. Players are drilled to communicate between the lines, did Norwood get a shout (other than the late one from Trusty)? I suppose we'll never know.

Back
Top Bottom