Stephen Bettis speaks to local Media

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

That was a wild guess, considering how much catering, security and cleaning staff are paid. It could be less.

How many other clubs are there in the league that fill over 75% of their capacity every home game but still close a stand?
 



I've not been able to keep up with the discussion on here, and it seems to relate largely to the transfer of the club.

But specifically talking about the amount owed to the prince, which was verified by Bettis, have we any indication as to why they feel they should pay less?

I presume they feel that either the value of the club has reduced since purchase and so they're trying to get the prince to share that liability, or they feel the prince misled them in the valuation of the club when he sold it. If the latter is true, that would change my view of whether the new owners are acting with good principles or not, I'd be of the same view if they were genuinely misled, for example debts or other liabilities were hidden.
 
Downloaded and listened to it on the drive over to Glossop this morning so was literally listening to the Snek on the Snek.

Laughed out loud a few times -

Hog’s first question from “a fan” was about the ownership not giving interviews to local journalists.

A quite combative question about recruitment policy sent in by “Seymour Skinner”

…..and the response from Bettis when hog asked “Is the club sleepwalking towards relegation?”

“I certainly wouldn’t say we are sleepwalking” 🫠🤣

I don’t mind Bettis though. I think he makes the best of a shite hand. I think there is an element of shooting the messenger at times with him.
 
I just listened to the interview and I can’t say I learned anything.

I could have sat in for Bettis myself.

Academy - plenty of plans bla bla bla but the actual bits which cost money are miles off. Be thankful we got the land which was secured ages ago.

Player contracts - fans think we don’t talk to players or know when deals are expiring! Of course we do! So why do we leave it so late? When was the last time we announced an improved deal for someone because they’d done well or their standing had improved? Most recent deal was Campbell who nobody would want anyway on recent history.

Summer recruitment plan - plan was raise 20m+ all along. Some claptrap about being interested in Souttar as an exception but not prepared to pay the fee. Somehow we made no attempt to find a player that would have added value to us with those funds once we sold.

Bramall Lane Stand - down review at beginning of each season and found some structural issue. Can’t do much work in season. Gates don’t demand for it to be pushed open. Work would be done in summer, could be millions. Here’s a thought - why didn’t they do the review right towards the backend of the season after the last home game and they could have done it this summer!?

Ownership dispute - reinforced what we knew already, disputes happen in business. Told us nothing knew and hid behind confidentiality. Met Prince recently.

January transfers - can we buy? We don’t have to sell! That’ll get the fans excited. As I’ve said multiple times we have 25 senior pros so unless someone comes in for one of our galacticos nobody will be coming in. Once more dangled the carrot of one more loan. Hold your excitement! Sheffield United won’t pay a player to sit it out so nobody will join, unless we get a sizeable bid for a Peck, Burrows or Seriki, and we have the built in excuse because that we haven’t secured them that it might be the last time to secure a good value by selling. Money might be reinvested but I’m sure we’ll make the point that has to cover wages as well whilst banking the lost wage on the qt. Usual if we’re close we may funds available. That’ll be a no then!

Recruitment - essentially put it at Wilder’s door but had a crass answer of pretty much saying but if they had some cash the recruitment would have been different. High fives all round the changing room when they heard that I’m sure.

So he did what was expected. He turned up. He answered the questions in a way that you’d completely expect. Nothing to really excite and it’s a reset.

We’ve got some real numbskulls in our fanbase - one question was “do the owners regret buying the club?” For fuck’s sake “yeah, every day mate!”. Another - “has Chris Wilder got a job for life?”; Radio Sheffield should just filter out such nonsense. What a waste of questions. To think these people are allowed to vote!

So if your expectations weren’t low enough already then there’s your chance! In the meantime, it does sound like there might be a preseason game or so in America like the Bochum one. Nothing like rewarding massive underperformance will a trip to the States. But I suppose it might be good for the fans.
 
Last edited:
I've not been able to keep up with the discussion on here, and it seems to relate largely to the transfer of the club.

But specifically talking about the amount owed to the prince, which was verified by Bettis, have we any indication as to why they feel they should pay less?

I presume they feel that either the value of the club has reduced since purchase and so they're trying to get the prince to share that liability, or they feel the prince misled them in the valuation of the club when he sold it. If the latter is true, that would change my view of whether the new owners are acting with good principles or not, I'd be of the same view if they were genuinely misled, for example debts or other liabilities were hidden.
Bettis seemed to be suggesting the latter at the start of the interview.
 
I just listened to the interview and I can’t say I learned anything.

I could have sat in for Bettis myself.

Academy - plenty of plans bla bla bla but the actual bits which cost money are miles off. Be thankful we got the land which was secured ages ago.

Player contracts - fans think we don’t talk to players or know when deals are expiring! Of course we do! So why do we leave it so late? When was the last time we announced an improved deal for someone because they’d done well or their standing had improved? Most recent deal was Campbell who nobody would want anyway on recent history.

Summer recruitment plan - plan was raise 20m+ all along. Some claptrap about being interested in Souttar as an exception but not prepared to pay the fee. Somehow we made no attempt to find a player that would have added value to us with those funds once we sold.

Bramall Lane Stand - down review at beginning of each season and found some structural issue. Can’t do much work in season. Gates don’t demand for it to be pushed open. Work would be done in summer, could be millions. Here’s a thought - why didn’t they do the review right towards the backend of the season after the last home game and they could have done it this summer!?

Ownership dispute - reinforced what we knew already, disputes happen in business. Told us nothing knew and hid behind confidentiality. Met Prince recently.

January transfers - can we buy? We don’t have to sell! That’ll get the fans excited. As I’ve said multiple times we have 25 senior pros so unless someone comes in for one of our galacticos nobody will be coming in. Once more dangled the carrot of one more loan. Hold your excitement! Sheffield United won’t pay a player to sit it out so nobody will join, unless we get a sizeable bid for a Peck, Burrows or Seriki, and we have the built in excuse because that we haven’t secured them that it might be the last time to secure a good value by selling. Money might be reinvested but I’m sure we’ll make the point that has to cover wages as well whilst banking the lost wage on the qt. Usual if we’re close we may funds available. That’ll be a no then!

Recruitment - essentially put it at Wilder’s door but had a crass answer of pretty much saying but if they had some cash the recruitment would have been different. High fives all round the changing room when they heard that I’m sure.

So he did what was expected. He turned up. He answered the questions in a way that you’d completely expect. Nothing to really excite and it’s a reset.

We’ve got some real numbskulls in our fanbase - one question was “do the owners regret buying the club?” For fuck’s sake “yeah, every day mate!”. Another - “has Chris Wilder got a job for life?”; Radio Sheffield should just filter out such nonsense. What a waste of questions. To think these people are allowed to vote!

So if your expectations weren’t low enough already then there’s your chance! In the meantime, it does sound like there might be a preseason game or so in America like the Bochum one. Nothing like rewarding massive underperformance will a trip to the States. But I suppose it might be good for th
 
America would be great but for more than 1 game. Hopefully at the Cleveland Browns stadium to tie in with any possible investment with them. Clutching at straws I know....
We could have our version of the Dawg pound. Hound pound or Mutt pound?
 
And your claim that l said there wasn’t an issue with the share transfer? You know, the thing you made up?

Don't waste your time with him.

For how much Darren / El Accounto has been discussed on this forum over the years, the fact he had no fucking clue who he was means he isn't paying much attention to anything and is on the wind up.

Also, Rob using Darren's X handle to announce the question was a smooth move hoping no one would notice it was from Darren. No agenda at RS though so we are told.
 
I've not been able to keep up with the discussion on here, and it seems to relate largely to the transfer of the club.

But specifically talking about the amount owed to the prince, which was verified by Bettis, have we any indication as to why they feel they should pay less?

I presume they feel that either the value of the club has reduced since purchase and so they're trying to get the prince to share that liability, or they feel the prince misled them in the valuation of the club when he sold it. If the latter is true, that would change my view of whether the new owners are acting with good principles or not, I'd be of the same view if they were genuinely misled, for example debts or other liabilities were hidden.

I think they feel they were misled and there were legacy debts or issues that they had not been made aware of. Rosen seemed to imply that in his interview without being able to go into detail.

I can believe with us getting that -2 point deduction during PA's time in charge that there probably is a few skeletons left behind in the closet from his tenure.
 
the bit thats come accross is the new owners feel short changed of what they thought theyd get for 110 or 120m.. like all figures in this saga they all seem vague

things like property values falling short , the recently bought remaining square bramall lane footprint footage valuation and the lack of development of the new training facility were embelished a bit, it seems thery are argueing theyve been told a few porkies, The fact we had a chance of the prem golden goose , meant scrutny of what they were purchasing was a bit lax.

I can see it getting resolved as prince would get sod all if we do go into admin now as its a private sale and if they settle mid way all partries get something and we avoid a deduction,and the fact the EFL said they were fine as new owners works in our favour

dont worry ,,be happy, itll all come out in t wash
 
Last edited:



America would be great but for more than 1 game. Hopefully at the Cleveland Browns stadium to tie in with any possible investment with them. Clutching at straws I know....
We could have our version of the Dawg pound. Hound pound or Mutt pound?
We are playing the Browns - YHIHF. First half "soccer", second half gridiron. Just this of when we played Yorkshire at cricket under Warnock...
 
I've not been able to keep up with the discussion on here, and it seems to relate largely to the transfer of the club.

But specifically talking about the amount owed to the prince, which was verified by Bettis, have we any indication as to why they feel they should pay less?

I presume they feel that either the value of the club has reduced since purchase and so they're trying to get the prince to share that liability, or they feel the prince misled them in the valuation of the club when he sold it. If the latter is true, that would change my view of whether the new owners are acting with good principles or not, I'd be of the same view if they were genuinely misled, for example debts or other liabilities were hidden.
See THATS a good question..
So obviously it wasn't answered. Nope, we're none the wiser.
 
Don't waste your time with him.

For how much Darren / El Accounto has been discussed on this forum over the years, the fact he had no fucking clue who he was means he isn't paying much attention to anything and is on the wind up.

Also, Rob using Darren's X handle to announce the question was a smooth move hoping no one would notice it was from Darren. No agenda at RS though so we are told.
Don't think I have ever followed him but I half recognized the Twitter name but didn't make the connection until it was posted on here but if he said "this is from Darren" I absolutely wouldn't have made any connection whatsoever.

Not sure why he's not allowed to have his question picked even if I think his friendship with the prince distorted his POV he's still a blade 🤷‍♂️
 
Downloaded and listened to it on the drive over to Glossop this morning so was literally listening to the Snek on the Snek.

Laughed out loud a few times -

Hog’s first question from “a fan” was about the ownership not giving interviews to local journalists.

A quite combative question about recruitment policy sent in by “Seymour Skinner”

…..and the response from Bettis when hog asked “Is the club sleepwalking towards relegation?”

“I certainly wouldn’t say we are sleepwalking” 🫠🤣

I don’t mind Bettis though. I think he makes the best of a shite hand. I think there is an element of shooting the messenger at times with him.
I think we’d be in a far worse position without him at the helm these last few years.
 
Posted this on the wrong thread earlier, so sorry for those who have had to endure it twice.

Having just listened to the interview, my thoughts are:

- He’s a likeable guy and genuinely cares for the club

- I thought he was as honest as he could be with his responses

- Where he was evasive, (with the exception of the Knill question) was where there are legal matters at play or would have shown our hand in negotiations

- He should take some credit for many of the positives over the last 10 years

- That being said, I’m not sure he’s got what to takes to make us as progressive as I think we should be… which feeds into my next point

- Despite assurances and explanations, I’m still not convinced there is a structured plan or strategy in place, either on or off the field

This final point is my biggest concern, as I took from Wilder’s end of season interview (about not being in the same place next season) that we’d be building a squad for the future (granted it would be on frees and loans). Clearly I got that wrong!

Even though SB referenced fans not understanding the strategy when Wilder first took over, he confirmed that the players brought in during the summer TW were Wilder’s targets. This approach was certainly not what we did back then, so I think fans are right to be sceptical about the new strategy - which seemingly cannot be explained.

My assumption from this is that he didn’t want to throw CW under the bus.
 
Who knows, we might venture to Scotland. Will be good being outside Yorkshire/Derbyshire.

Ok I've googled. Hes that accountant guy. Brilliant. Do you think you not liking a fan and therefore thinking Radio Sheffield have an agenda for asking a question from that fan is rational or do you think maybe you're getting too obsessed with this?
He’s not just any fan mate.

He’s a pal of The Prince and a shitstirrer.

Basically he’s Wit with a better tan
 
I did send a question in asking what are the structural faults in the bl upper roof and why it had grounded to a halt but I'm not from Spain so it didn't really get answered , I'm presuming some of the work will have to be done from underneath ,would be nice to be told the specific engineering problems and solutions .
 
Who is Tim Ryan?
Brother of Jack 😆
Part of a super rich family who has recently become a director of our 1919 ownership company. Apparently he's been to the Lane a few times and caught the bug. Let's hope the bug bites him to such an extent that he invests in us.
 



All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Back
Top Bottom