Steel pity

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Guardian article. Nothing new really. At least they didn't go with steel shitty.

Stating the obvious

I think it's symptomatic of an underachieving city in general.

There's a reason our Northern peers find it far easier to find the levels of investment to sustain life at the top of the tree.

It's a shame because, as the article rightly points out, if you were to combine the attendances of our two clubs (even now, at a low point) we comfortably better the likes of Leeds and Newcastle.

There's a reason our Northern peers find it far easier to find the levels of investment to sustain life at the top of the tree.

It's a shame because, as the article rightly points out, if you were to combine the attendances of our two clubs (even now, at a low point) we comfortably better the likes of Leeds and Newcastle.
Rubbish, nowt to do with the city. If you ask £5 for a tin of beans they won't sell and that's what the Prince is doing with the club.

I think that's partly true. Some of it is 'luck', but the city hasn't really generated many multi millionaires/billionaires (who traditionally bought clubs and made them attractive to the outside world). We had McCabe, but his limitations are well discussed. There's hardly a queue of others.

I also think you're right re. the city in general. It's not really on the business map. There's few financial/professional service firms based here, so it falls out of the psyche of those with money, or the ability to influence where money is spent. Newcastle and Liverpool are similar in this regard, but both have a far more successful past in football to point to.

Over the years when being away with work I would stay in a hotel overnight, first thing you'd do after you had a shower was to go to the bar for a few drinks before something to eat.
The bar was usually busy with other (usually) men doing the same, talk would start with where you're from followed by what's your team?
The amount of times I've told the same story about how big a football city Sheffield is, I would say the same as you captain that add the two clubs "gates" together and we are bigger than most and as always chuck in the fact neither club ever achieves anything we are indeed great loyal fans - both clubs, and of course our fans come from the local area not across the country.

Rubbish, nowt to do with the city. If you ask £5 for a tin of beans they won't sell and that's what the Prince is doing with the club.
Correct, and trouble is still asking for £5- 6 weeks ago they were worth £4 and now only £2 but stll asking £5.

And becoming worth less after every result.

As long as we don't merge with Wednesday I'm not bothered.
We've both got it so good as we are so why do something that would make it better for everyone and the city at the same time?

Not rubbish at all - when you invest in a football club you look at the economic demographics around it - the local economy wealth and deprivation transport local politics ( local authority) I can go on

And the repeated failed attempts by McCabe to offload the club or find investors was because?

Back
Top Bottom