Stadium Development

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Official attendance v Liverpool on 29th August 1990 was 27,009

We averaged between 20-25k that season.

I know a number of people who tried to get season tickets for this season and couldn't, so that would suggest that the demand has definitely increased. I've also been asked on numerous occasions if I can get tickets for people because they couldn't get them via the normal routes.

I think that now we'd easily sell between 25-30k in season tickets, then add away support and casual supporters and we'd probably average about 35k particularly if we're doing well.
Graph for last 30 seasons.

Clear to see we massively closed the gap since they were relegated in 1999/00.
Only the 6y in League 1 have we had a lower average since 2006/07

1708006602080.png

Where've you pulled that nonsense from?

Last 21 seasons, with the exception of 2019/20 & 20/21 covid seasons, AVG attendances are ~23.4K United versus ~23.0K Pigs

Last 10 seasons, except covids, AVGS are ~24.8K United versus ~24.2K

Last 5 seasons, except covids, AVGS are ~28.1K United versus ~23.8K

Just look at 17/18 and 18/19. Both in the Championship together and w beat them both times.
Worth noting that their away end is MUCH bigger than ours too so their attendances are inflated by a few games a season when they get >5K away fans in.

View attachment 179334
It was supposed to be tongue in cheek seen from a pigs view.

How the fuck can they get away with returning crowds of 28 and 29 thou then
You lot get nothing like that. The last 6 games the home crowds have been to nearest thousand 23,21,24,24,25,23 and that after record season tickets sales and promotion. In fact you've only touched 26000 once against Toytown.

Obviously that poster is massively exaggerating again, but I do think our fanbase should be much bigger than it is. We have rarely sold out this season, and in the last couple of home games the upper tier has been half empty. We sell very few single match tickets because we make it so insanely difficult for people to buy. That means we're not attracting any new fans into the ground. It's just a rotating cast of 30-35k who go regularly. We should be absolutely cleaning up the casual support in the city being in the Prem, but we're not. We're missing out on a huge opportunity with the nonsensical way we sell tickets.
I think the results and position may have a little bit to do with it. Don't you.

Official attendance v Liverpool on 29th August 1990 was 27,009

We averaged between 20-25k that season.

I know a number of people who tried to get season tickets for this season and couldn't, so that would suggest that the demand has definitely increased. I've also been asked on numerous occasions if I can get tickets for people because they couldn't get them via the normal routes.

I think that now we'd easily sell between 25-30k in season tickets, then add away support and casual supporters and we'd probably average about 35k particularly if we're doing well.
Remember that season cos of the stupid season ticket rule. They only sold so many and I missed out on one and had about 10/12000 POTG. Flopped badly.

Think the bottom line on this is that the Pigs have much the better of honours and standings, especially since we last won the cup in 1925. Also one of the best grounds in football while ours was a bit of an embarrassment. So the fact that since averages were put out in about 1899 they only get just over 1700 more makes you think that if the roles were reversed we'd be miles ahead of them.

You lot get nothing like that. The last 6 games the home crowds have been to nearest thousand 23,21,24,24,25,23 and that after record season tickets sales and promotion. In fact you've only touched 26000 once against Toytown.
Wtf im with you

Graph for last 30 seasons.

Clear to see we massively closed the gap since they were relegated in 1999/00.
Only the 6y in League 1 have we had a lower average since 2006/07

View attachment 179338

I would suggest the gap would be wider now if we had a larger capacity. We've officially sold out on numerous occasions this season (even though the official figure is always below capacity, which is irritating), whereas when was the last time they sold out?

I would suggest the gap would be wider now if we had a larger capacity. We've officially sold out on numerous occasions this season (even though the official figure is always below capacity, which is irritating), whereas when was the last time they sold out?
Exactly pal the lower capacity is holding us back especially when 1500 or so of the available 32,000 are restricted view and always the hardest to shift. To be fair it is amazing that most games have more than 30,000 attendees.

It would obviously cost but would it be that much to put some new steps down where I've marked in yellow, and move the turnstiles? Would lose a part of that car park mind.

View attachment 179337

You’d also need to expand and broaden the walkway at the back of the Kop to do so.. SAG would have to be fully consulted. I think it would be more costly than you’d think and remember we are potless

Whoa back there… in the last 20 years we have had more people regularly through the turnstiles than at any other point in my Blades life, I started going In 1982.

SInce the 2002 - 03. Tripple, assault season we have regularly averaged 20k + even in the League one days, at the start of that Tripple assault season the home crowd for the first game of the season against Portsmouth was just over 13k .. in the last twenty years we appear to me to have gained an extra 10 - 15 k plus fans, the totally opposite of us being down too our last 30k

The crowds we have averaged between 2003 and 2024 are dwarfing many of those we got during Dave Basset’s glory years of 4 years of consecutive top flight football, and most of that time in tiers 2 and 3, hardly Premier League glory hunters.

The fan base shows every evidence it is expanding not declining
I agree

Who's talking about the 80's and 90's ?
How old are you ?

There are plenty of people on this board that have been in 50,000 + attendances at Bramall Lane

My point is, EVEN IF THE TICKETS WERE FREE, AND THERE WAS SUFFICIENT ROOM FOR THEM, they are incapable of getting that many in the stadium because apart from those that go to games there is virtually ZERO INTEREST FROM ANYONE ELSE.

IN YEARS GONE BY THERE WAS
Hence a dying club

Now which club has more potential, a club that can only get 30,000 in a stadium but has a 100 million fan base, or a club that can only get 30,000 in a stadium and a fanbase of 30,000

The reason why Man City and Newcastle get massive investment and we get fuck all is not because of the number of fans that come through the gates, but because of the number of fans that can't get in.
I dont agree

Obviously that poster is massively exaggerating again, but I do think our fanbase should be much bigger than it is. We have rarely sold out this season, and in the last couple of home games the upper tier has been half empty. We sell very few single match tickets because we make it so insanely difficult for people to buy. That means we're not attracting any new fans into the ground. It's just a rotating cast of 30-35k who go regularly. We should be absolutely cleaning up the casual support in the city being in the Prem, but we're not. We're missing out on a huge opportunity with the nonsensical way we sell tickets.
Maybe there is a reason we're not selling out every game, its called being uncompetitive and bottom of the league by some margin!

You’d also need to expand and broaden the walkway at the back of the Kop to do so.. SAG would have to be fully consulted. I think it would be more costly than you’d think and remember we are potless
I'm not sure you would, it's just rerouting the steps down to John St corner to come out at a different place a bit further up Shoreham St. Potless we may be but we'd either have to find the money if those flats get built or close the kop.

The steps would go right past the flats, not sure who would want to actually buy one, this might all just be a load of bollox. Also acc to the Star planning permission for that corner has expired anyway.

It would obviously cost but would it be that much to put some new steps down where I've marked in yellow, and move the turnstiles? Would lose a part of that car park mind.

Edit: a bigger issue might be us getting planning permission to extend the kop back if there's flats there

View attachment 179337
You make a good point however we already still have planning permission to extend the kop currently to what McCabe drew up. And so developers and council I don't believe can renege on this yet.

In a way if this development on the corner of Shoreham and John street is really a real possibility then as a club we need to seriously think about fast tracking our plans and development of the kop.

Because leave it too late and our existing plans run out, getting permission after might well be tricky indeed.

I'm not sure you would, it's just rerouting the steps down to John St corner to come out at a different place a bit further up Shoreham St. Potless we may be but we'd either have to find the money if those flats get built or close the kop.

The steps would go right past the flats, not sure who would want to actually buy one, this might all just be a load of bollox. Also acc to the Star planning permission for that corner has expired anyway.
I simply can’t see how these can get built, especially now they are independent of the club. Siting these flats at the corner of Shoreham/John street will inconvenience the club and just won’t happen.

I simply can’t see how these can get built, especially now they are independent of the club. Siting these flats at the corner of Shoreham/John street will inconvenience the club and just won’t happen.
Mccabe has probably decided this is a white elephant and really just held on as a foot in the door to upset the Prince! Not worked has it !
probably t

he Prince has kept his council and waited till Mccabe decided its a pointless exercise hanging in there.
Health and safety would be all over any new build involving residence (flats).
Trying to sell for the best price possible is what it looks like.Digging up previouse planning permission is probably due to lazy journalism.
As I have said before the Prince is nobodies fool must have a good team of legal men behind him including the chairman who's name I can't spell or pronounce properly.

You make a good point however we already still have planning permission to extend the kop currently to what McCabe drew up. And so developers and council I don't believe can renege on this yet.

In a way if this development on the corner of Shoreham and John street is really a real possibility then as a club we need to seriously think about fast tracking our plans and development of the kop.

Because leave it too late and our existing plans run out, getting permission after might well be tricky indeed.

We first got planning permission for the expansion 15 years ago and keep extending the permission.

I think it’s safe to say that after this much time it’s never going to get built!

I’m also of the opinion that stadium design has moved on in 15 years so we should just completely scrap those plans and look at other alternatives.

Back
Top Bottom