Southampton line up?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

While no doubt well intentioned, I don't think speculating that someone has mental health issues is particularly helpful to anyone! Aside from anything, he looked motivated and happy enough at the start of the season and was just unlucky with an injury. A fit Moose (as fantastical as that may be) would be a huge boost for our front line.
Possibly not and point taken… it was well intentioned (having them myself)…

I think we can debate ‘unlucky’ with injury the guy hasn’t finished 90mins of football ever whilst with us and that can’t just be down to luck… I just don’t think he has it in him to maintain the required level to he a professional footballer that can be relied upon… and that’s not a dig either … sometimes stepping away is the right thing to do.

Why not play a full strength side with another break coming up ?
Winning is a mentality and infectious as is losing as we know all too well.

Why not do a warnock 2002-3 and take the cup seriously. That season was my favourite following United since the Bassett days and proved to be the platform for the eventual promotion with key men staying (jags, tonge, kenny, monty, kabba).

Just imagine the impact of beating saints after the embarrassing defeats last season when we didn’t look to care.

Don't think Mcg, Stevens or Mousset will be fit to play. We have 2 games in four days coming up after so go with what has got us to this round so far.

Foderingham
Bogle Basham Lopata Gordon Robinson
Slater Norwood Freeman
Mcb Brewster

Subs: Verrips, Gomes, RND, Guedioura, Brunt, Sharp, Burke.

Probably go Wes - Stevens (RND if not fit), Lopata, Basham, Baldock - Fleck, Norwood - Brewdog, Freeman, Bogle - McBurnie

Just bought a ticket as its not on TV with it being EFL. Thought I might as well be interesting seeing as its Southampton. Does it mean if we beat them we are better than Man C who could only draw this weekend ? :)

Anyone else used a mobile ticket is it pretty idiotproof ?

Just bought a ticket as its not on TV with it being EFL. Thought I might as well be interesting seeing as its Southampton. Does it mean if we beat them we are better than Man C who could only draw this weekend ? :)

Anyone else used a mobile ticket is it pretty idiotproof ?
I’ve not used one but my partner has. As long as you pinch the screen to make the QR or barcode nice and big to fit the full screen it should read it fine

I expect we’ll play a few youngsters and so will stick with 5 at the back. Maybe we’ll try to move them into a 4 at the back in the early rounds of FA cup.

Olsen

Bogle
Bash
Lopata
Gordon
Stevens (if fit)

Norwood
Guedioura

Brewster
Mcburnie
Freeman/Mcgoldrick

In either a 5-2-3 or 5-2-1-2. Definitely a winnable game if southampton play a weakened side. Midfielders and attackers really have to put a shift in if they want to be near the 11

We won’t win this cup, and our priority is the league.
For that reason we need to make decisions which see the biggest benefit to the first team.
At the moment, we have numerous options in midfield, and as expected Fleck and Norwood are closer to their last performances in this league as they get fitter…more so Fleck who imho needs to play constantly and is always affected by injury and international breaks worse than most.

We have concerns over goalscorers, as well as wide players, and a keeper who’s still learning the team defence.

So for me we have to try fill some holes and protect crucial players, while working on improving fitness of others.

My team.

Olsen
Baldock
Bash
Loparta
RND

Hourihane
Fleck
Norwood
Osborn
Bogle - I think he’s a better forward player than defender and needs to look at midfield in this team.

Brewster or McBurnie seeing as we appear to be managing with single strikers at present.

I would want 75 minutes from Hourihane so he’s a possibility for Derby. Fleck and Norwood 90 minutes

I would want to see McBurnie or Brewster to manage 90 too, with whoever doesn’t start to be an option for perhaps a tactical change with Midfield.
Of course Enda may be available, in which case give him the minutes…and Mousset may be close too so in need of minutes but those are the only ones I may swap in if they are available.

Would like to see one or two of the young lads be rewarded for getting us this far. Lopata and Brunt, maybe even Gordon again too.

I want to see:

Bogle - to hopefully have a great game, be a threat in the final 3rd and try to dislodge baldock (as much as I love him) if we are gonna play ‘score one more than you’ we need threats from all over the pitch.

Lopata - I want to see him dominate a premier league striker and distribute well and play out of the back successfully. He can either dislodge Davies or be on standby as the go-to if either egan or Davies get injured or suspended and then hopefully not give up the shirt.

Freeman - I just like to see him playing football, and wouldn’t it be great if he’s so good he’s knocking on the door of the first 11 or really changing games off the bench.

Brewster - I want to see him keep shooting from the areas he is doing. I’d love to see him score one against these, as I think more will follow. Needs a goal, needs some confidence.

The rest, whoever. I don’t mind.
Agree with Lopata, he looked solid against Derby would like to see him given a run out against a decent attack

We won’t win this cup, and our priority is the league.
For that reason we need to make decisions which see the biggest benefit to the first team.
At the moment, we have numerous options in midfield, and as expected Fleck and Norwood are closer to their last performances in this league as they get fitter…more so Fleck who imho needs to play constantly and is always affected by injury and international breaks worse than most.

We have concerns over goalscorers, as well as wide players, and a keeper who’s still learning the team defence.

So for me we have to try fill some holes and protect crucial players, while working on improving fitness of others.

My team.

Olsen
Baldock
Bash
Loparta
RND

Hourihane
Fleck
Norwood
Osborn
Bogle - I think he’s a better forward player than defender and needs to look at midfield in this team.

Brewster or McBurnie seeing as we appear to be managing with single strikers at present.

I would want 75 minutes from Hourihane so he’s a possibility for Derby. Fleck and Norwood 90 minutes

I would want to see McBurnie or Brewster to manage 90 too, with whoever doesn’t start to be an option for perhaps a tactical change with Midfield.
Of course Enda may be available, in which case give him the minutes…and Mousset may be close too so in need of minutes but those are the only ones I may swap in if they are available.
Looks like a good line up. But Hourihane won't play as he's cup tied for Villa. His last game for them was the Barrow game I think.

Olsen (needs to play as much as possible as looked dodgy in both games)
Bogle - Egan - youth (lopata/Gomis/Gordon) - RND
Hourihane (needs minutes) guedioura/Norwood - youth (brunt/slater)
Brewster McBurnie Freeman
Subs
Verrips, Burke, 2 of youths not picked from above, which every from Norwood guedioura

Wouldn't risk berge, mgw, ndiaye, Davis give them recovery time

Olsen
Bogle-Lopata-Davies-Stevens
Basham-Hourihane
Brewster-Berge-Freeman
McBurnie
IMO this team gives our second string a great chance to impress, giving some players a chance to build fitness while bedding in a few first teamers who are new arrivals. Rest some key players like Ndiaye and MGW as they need it

I really want us to try out Berge at CAM, think he could be brilliant there. McBurnie has to play imo, we should try Brewster in the team too.

Addy, Didzy and Hackford on as subs

Last edited:

To even consider Robinson seems a backward move. I get that players need rest, but when you have a player that's of lesser quality, why on earth is that considered a positive move to include them again and again?

If you think about it, these games should solely be used to look at options for the first team at the moment.
Any player considered nowhere near the first 11 when fit shouldn’t play.

That means those who are regularly subs need to start for one. Excluding the keeper who has just arrived and needs to get some authority over his defenders and sharpen up himself.

Other positions that need work are the forward line, so rather than worrying about the midfield creating chances, ask the strikers to do jobs they are perhaps struggling with if in the first 11.
So Brewster- needs to learn how to hold the ball up, close down effectively, block off passing angles, be stronger on the ball. He only gets that with games…..so take the goal pressure off him and ask him to develop that and concentrate on using the game to improve that aspect.

I’m afraid this cup really is a practice match for us at this stage. Doesn’t bring a lot of revenue in and the sole aim of the club is to go up and maintain the current squad costs for a few more years at least!

Surely we can wheel Mousset out for his bi-monthly 60 minutes in this game?

Olsen
Bogle-Lopata-Davies-Stevens
Basham-Hourihane
Brewster-Berge-Freeman
McBurnie
IMO this team gives our second string a great chance to impress, giving some players a chance to build fitness while bedding in a few first teamers who are new arrivals. Rest some key players like Ndiaye and MGW as they need it

I really want us to try out Berge at CAM, think he could be brilliant there. McBurnie has to play imo, we should try Brewster in the team too.

Addy, Didzy and Hackford on as subs
Hourihane has already played for Villa in the cup (and scored) so not eligible

Brewster needs to play. 90 minutes if possible.
I'd give Baldock and Norrington-Davies a rest. Stick Bash in at right back and Stevens in at left back, if he's fit.
Houriane, as mentioned earlier, is cup tied, so I'd expect Norwood to play.

Also posted on a similar thread

Heads Up that we'll get an early clue as to which youngsters aren't/might be involved v Southampton. The U23s have a game kicking off at 1pm.

Olsen
Bogle Basham Lopota Robinson
Norwood Hourihane
Brewster Berge Freeman
McBurnie

Get some minutes in the legs of Bogle, Bash, Hourihane, Norwood, Brewster, Berge, Freeman & McBurnie.

Give Olsen & Hourihane more bedding in time.

Give Lopota another chance to shine & Berge the opportunity to prove he is worthy of an attacking role.

I'd also try and find some time for Brunt, Slater & Guedoaria to get a run out.

Rest Egan, Baldock, Fleck, Ndiaye, MGW & Sharp ahead of Saturday.

EDIT - Hourihane is cup tied. Swap with Guedeaioeureieira

At the risk of sounding defeatist, I think they will turn us over whoever we put out. They seem to do that to us, without being anything special. On that basis, I would not risk most of the current starting 11, and would certainly rest as many as possible. Getting 3 points against Derby is far more important.

-------------Don't mind---------------
Bogle-----Bash----Lopata------RND
--------Guediora----Hourihane------
--Brewster----Freeman----Osborn--
----------------McBurnie--------------

Subs:
Don't mind (GK)
Robinson
Gordon
Norwood
Brunt
Ndiaye
Burke

Last edited:
Yeah, I'd like to see Lapata again, along with Brunt and Gordon.. Also Guedioura who looked quality in his cameo v Hull, a real calm head when we need to sure things up.

At the risk of sounding defeatist, I think they will turn us over whoever we put out. They seem to do that to us, without being anything special. On that basis, I would not risk most of the current starting 11, and would certainly rest as many as possible. Getting 3 points against Derby is far more important.

-------------Don't mind---------------
Bogle-----Bash----Lopata------RND
--------Guediora----Hourihane------
--Brewster----Freeman----Osborn--
----------------McBurnie--------------

Subs:
Don't mind (GK)
Robinson
Gordon
Norwood
Brunt
Ndiaye
Burke
See above.. Hourihane cup tied 🙂

Back
Top Bottom