Some of you should get real!

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

People need to get their heads around the fact we are going to be in a relegation battle and that we are likely going to be in the bottom 3 at times this season.

It's been a fine start. I dread to think what the reaction will be like if/when we fall into the relegation zone.
No no, we must improve further.

Show me a quote

Mate it’s Sunday night. I’m not going to trawl through the forum to satisfy your smart arse comments.

This thread clearly is a dig at those that have offered a constructive critique of yesterday’s game. The forum is here for people to offer opinions otherwise there would be no point the moderators spending there time with the up keep.

Discussion boards are a very simple concept, if you can’t get your head around the fact people have different opinions then that’s your problem not mine.

Mate it’s Sunday night. I’m not going to trawl through the forum to satisfy your smart arse comments.

This thread clearly is a dig at those that have offered a constructive critique of yesterday’s game. The forum is here for people to offer opinions otherwise there would be no point the moderators spending there time with the up keep.

Discussion boards are a very simple concept, if you can’t get your head around the fact people have different opinions then that’s your problem not mine.
Did you enjoy patronisation classes.
Relegation fodderist.

Absolutely laughable to suggest a team played another team off the park when the match was a 0-0 draw.

We didn't even create one chance all match for Christ's sake.

Glad I gave you a laugh mate. 69% possession to me equates to having control of the game. As I clearly said, we didn’t do it in the final third. That was the issue. It’s possible to be the best team and play the other team off the park, which is what I believe we did. But if that doesn’t result in chances on goal then it’s meaningless.

Glad I gave you a laugh mate. 69% possession to me equates to having control of the game. As I clearly said, we didn’t do it in the final third. That was the issue. It’s possible to be the best team and play the other team off the park, which is what I believe we did. But if that doesn’t result in chances on goal then it’s meaningless.

Complete bollocks.

Man City beat Watford 8-0 the other week, THAT'S playing somebody off the park.

This thread insinuates just that.

Personally I don’t think it does. The “shutting down debate” claim is a total cliche on forums. It’s rolled out on here a lot. And usually by those with a sometimes less than positive viewpoint. I’d guess everyone on here wants improvement, classed by some as those “settling for mediocrity” which really is a pathetic claim, some are more conservative with their views. That’s not stopping debate, it’s simply differences of opinion.

Unrealistic expectations by far too many Blades. As much as we all want to play amazing football week in week out it’s not going to happen in a tough league. We need to hang on in this year and build thereafter.

Sand needs to be removed from fannies ASAP.
Yep. Definitely.

The reason I’m so happy with the situation at the minute is because I think we’ve been punching above our weight so far as all the players are adjusting to the division as a whole - very impressive. So much to be proud of, we can’t forget where we came from in such a short space of time. Some are getting pork levels of delusion and it’s sad to see.

I'm just pleased that we are more than holding our own. We haven't been outplayed in any games and most of them could have gone either way. It's been fine margins when you consider that only one of our games so far has had more than a one goal margin and that was our 2-0 win at Everton, where we defended brilliantly and had one shot on goal. I'd quite happily settle for about 10 more of those, however I think we'll continue to be right in most games and that means we'll always have a chance of picking up points. I think the bottom half of this league will be very close this season, we've already seen that most teams are quite capable of beating one another. Therefore I think in April there will still be about 12 teams who could go down and obviously we could be one of them. That's not to say I think we'll go down because I genuinely think we'll be alright.

You'll always get those who after a defeat think it's the end of the world and then we win and we're going to win the league.

People need to get their heads around the fact we are going to be in a relegation battle and that we are likely going to be in the bottom 3 at times this season.

It's been a fine start. I dread to think what the reaction will be like if/when we fall into the relegation zone.
While I don't doubt that might happen, I would still prefer to see a bit more ambition.
I'm thinking 12th place minimum and aiming for 10th or better. Let's set about upsetting a few more teams like we did against Liverpool at home. Goals and points needed in a league that is providing a few interesting results. Blades need to be a part of that. :)

Part of the problem is that some like to bundle the posters critiquing a performance or perceived shortfall with those who can go a bit OTT

I believe people first started listening to Jesus when he said Nazareth United were going to be in a relegation battle and people needed to curb their expectations
There is desire and expectation, and this is often tempered by experience. You and I have been blades for long enough to have experienced disappointment, so you would think that our experience breeds caution. I still don't think that optimism is a bad thing. Having experienced recent success, I want Wilder to continue pressing for more from the team. If he's as good as we believe he is, why shouldn't fans ask for more from him, just as he expects more from his players?
We are a demanding lot aren't we. ;)

We have made a solid start...
...etc. Have another (well-deserved) like.
Unrealistic expectations by far too many Blades. As much as we all want to play amazing football week in week out it’s not going to happen in a tough league. We need to hang on in this year and build thereafter.

The fact is, if we become 'established' in the PL, we'll be flirting around the bottom half every season. Managing expectations and all that. Did anybody expect anything different?

We have had a better start than Newcastle, Brighton and Villa, all who you mention in your post. We've also played teams currently sitting in 1st, 4th, 5th and 6th and have conceded less goals than anyone but Liverpool.

Everyone knows where we can improve but let's not overlook what we have achieved. We've given ourselves a solid foundation to survive.

'Better' managers than Wilder - Solskjær, Pochettio and Marco Silva - are fighting for their jobs. We're not the only fans with over-expectations in a two-club league.
Where's graph?

With over two weeks till the next match, I couldn't resist :) :

1570419477243.png

I believe we are doing fine so far, we are going to lose many games this season get the odd hammering I would think
As long as we get to 38 points and stay up that’s all that really matters
I still can’t believe we are actually in the PL after so many years of being in the wilderness

Better' managers than Wilder - Solskjær, Pochettio and Marco Silva

Solkjier (Oli) not bothered how u spell it ..

Isn’t a better manager than wilder.

There is desire and expectation, and this is often tempered by experience. You and I have been blades for long enough to have experienced disappointment, so you would think that our experience breeds caution. I still don't think that optimism is a bad thing. Having experienced recent success, I want Wilder to continue pressing for more from the team. If he's as good as we believe he is, why shouldn't fans ask for more from him, just as he expects more from his players?
We are a demanding lot aren't we. ;)

There's desire and expectation, which as you say is often tempered by experience, but then there's also ones outlook, not just on football, but on life. And some people are optimistic and others are pessimistic. I think a lot of that is related to an individual's early life experiences - but be they good or bad experiences, it doesn't have to shape your life to be one or the other, you just have to think about things differently.

I generally don't like to be around pessimists, because I'm not one myself. I find their negative outlook on life, or football, corrosive. It's a bit like a bad apple in a box - it only needs one for it to quickly spread to the others. That doesn't mean that I'm not critical, perhaps too critical, of things at times, but I'm not a doom-monger who thinks that my football team's chances are completely over after one disappointing result. I just want my team to do better, that's all. And I believe they can - and I don't see anything wrong with giving an honest opinion on how I think we should try and do that.

"We've had a satisfactory start. And we are slightly under points wise were I think we should be."

Or words to that effect.

This is what CW said after the game. And I agree.

During the international break I would think CW and the coaching team will working hard on our attacking play in and around the opposition penalty box.

I still think we miss the link man in between midfield/strikers. Freeman would certainly be ideal in this area.

We have made a solid start, only Liverpool have conceded less goals than us, we are on the same points as Man U, had someone told you before the start of the season that we would get 9 points from our first 8 games, you would have refused to believe it.

Wilder is still working on getting the right strike partnership so that we would get more goals but it is unfortunate that McGoldrick is currently injured and that Sharp got a 3 match ban. Dont you understand the term "work in progress"?

Some of you crying about us letting Duffy go. At the start of the season, every player in our squad is a squad player, so like a good manager, Wilder doesnt give guarantees to any of our player. Duffy ( influenced by his agent and his family) wanted to know how much playing time he would have and this was impossible for Wilder to give an estimation. Duffy then decided to go elsewhere!
Like who're! 🤣

We need to stay grounded and realistic but there’s also nothing wrong with stating the obvious which is .... we should have more points than we currently have.

Our all round general play is good and defence is solid but this needs to be balanced with figuring out how to create more clear cut chances for our strikers.

I would rather be in the position we are in i.e. not leaking goals rather than scoring 3 and conceding 5 .... Wilder will suss the goal scoring thing out soon. UTB

The fact is, if we become 'established' in the PL, we'll be flirting around the bottom half every season. Managing expectations and all that. Did anybody expect anything different?

You're a smart poster and I generally find myself agreeing with most of what you write, but on this occasion mate I have to disagree with you. I think this is a very negative view that you are taking. Why should we expect that being "established in the PL" means inevitably that we will be "flirting around the bottom half every season"? You've asked if anyone expects anything different and I'd like to say, Yes, I do.

The way I see the PL is that there are 4 or 6 clubs who have a massive financial advantage over the others and I don't see that changing much over the next 5 - 10 years, unless there is some change in the way that money is distributed throughout the entire Football League. This means, in theory, that there are 14 or 16 clubs, each season, who potentially could be drawn into a relegation scrap. So, I'd go along with your theory as far as that, but no further. Because what I expect is that we'll retain a very smart and astute manager and add further quality to the team and this will see us competing at the top end of the table and not the bottom end. So, more of a Burnley or a Bournemouth type Prem model, than a West Brom one. I don't see why that shouldn't be possible? Please tell us how little clubs like Burnley and Bournemouth have done it, but it's absolutely impossible for us to do it? I'd be fascinated to know why that is?

Some of us have seen the Blades competing at the top level of football before and more than holding our own - so we think it can happen again. And in fact, I think it's happening now!

However, If we think that being established in the PL is going to be a perennial dog-fight against relegation, then we should probably just pack it up now and asked to be put back in the Championship?

Ahh but you forget something. If you perpetually moan and complain and question it shows that you expect better and as such are a better blade. Only at S2 are we happy with mid table mediocrity. Fuck the stats that say we have one of the best defences in the league. It’s a fluke. We are getting carved open and only the terminally stupid can’t see that!

On the other hand you may have a point and some people need to actually start enjoying being in the best league we can compete in. In fact we are not being outplayed by anyone. I was told to expect feeling out of our depth and being stuffed week in week out. It hasn’t happened. I happen to think a point away at Watford is a good thing but hey, what the fuck do I know? All this bollocks about being lucky against Everton? WTF is that? Weren’t we equally unlucky against Southampton when we didn’t get a handball and we were undone by VAR.
I have watched enough football to know I am proud of this team and they are doing better than most expected. A point at Chelsea? Winning at Everton? Unbeaten away from home still? Giving the European Champions a real test? Fucking get in.

Nailed it.

It’s not fair criticism. If we lose 2-3 matches in a row it will escalate to booing players and hammering players from the sidelines. How do I know this? Because it’s happened numerous times over the last few years.

The difference is between this team and Madkins, Wilson et al is the players and manager have accrued a tremendous amount of loyalty and patience over the last 4 years.

...etc. Have another (well-deserved) like.

'Better' managers than Wilder - Solskjær, Pochettio and Marco Silva - are fighting for their jobs. We're not the only fans with over-expectations in a two-club league.

With over two weeks till the next match, I couldn't resist :) :

View attachment 62411
A giraffe, I loooooooove a giraffe.

Can’t say I agree about flirting around the bottom. I think it will go one of two ways Man City (look where they were before Fly Emirates) or Blackburn. We won’t be a Burnley or Bournemouth.

It’s not fair criticism. If we lose 2-3 matches in a row it will escalate to booing players and hammering players from the sidelines. How do I know this? Because it’s happened numerous times over the last few years.

The difference is between this team and Madkins, Wilson et al is the players and manager have accrued a tremendous amount of loyalty and patience over the last 4 years.

I doubt the fans would turn on the team. CW has said that 'when I came in, the fans hated the players and the players hated the fans.' We've come a long way since then.

I personally feel it's unrealistic to think we will be out of harm's way all season. Surviving relegation would be a great achievement and I fear people are losing sight of that which is why we are seeing so much disappointment after a decent point at Watford.
My comment was made with tongue-in-cheek Roy - and more than a bit cheeky on my part. However, I do think it's the type of negative thinking Chris Wilder would stamp on in the Blades dressing room, and one of the reasons why I think we'll be OK. If we end up in a relegation battle I'll be surprised, but injuries to key players is of critical importance and personally I'd have much rather seen our defensive options strengthened with a young, fast, tall strong-arm centre-back than yesterday's hero. Watford played 2nd fiddle to our tunes all afternoon yet could (and should) have won that match. Pace up front is one attribute all Prem teams seem to have in abundance, and we are always going to be vulnerable when hit on the break - and pre-season signings have not addressed that problem. The January window is going to be an important one.

I generally don't like to be around pessimists, because I'm not one myself. I find their negative outlook on life, or football, corrosive. It's a bit like a bad apple in a box - it only needs one for it to quickly spread to the others. That doesn't mean that I'm not critical, perhaps too critical, of things at times, but I'm not a doom-monger who thinks that my football team's chances are completely over after one disappointing result. I just want my team to do better, that's all. And I believe they can - and I don't see anything wrong with giving an honest opinion on how I think we should try and do that.
Well said!!
However, pessimists need to feel the love more than anyone - let's not give them too much grief on this forum; we're all Blades after all.

Back
Top Bottom